Mars Rover SPirit Stuck by its own airbags, NASA sent a VERY Expensive digital camera to mars .

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

MaxDepth

Diamond Member
Jun 12, 2001
Maybe they need some rednecks with a monster truck!

Graaaaaaaaaaaaaavvvveeeee diiiiiiiiigggggggaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhh!

May 31, 2001
No big deal, they have two other exit doors they can take it out of. There is also a rock-sampling device on board the rover that I suspect would puncture the air bags if need be.

sygyzy

Lifer
Oct 21, 2000
Wow, how come everyone is upset at the OP? Has he been posting things to upset you guys? I haven't noticed.

Anyway, just judging from the article, you have to admit, this is a big messup on NASA's part. I don't know why you guys are defending the space agency like they are some Godly Organization. I mean this is a very expensive project and the rover is STUCK on the collapsed parachute? That's rediculous.

Almost as funny as the standard to metric conversion that sent the other project crashing and burning into another planet...or was that Mars too?

dc

Diamond Member
Nov 26, 1999
you obviously haven't read his threads about becoming a samurai and then threads about him stabbing himself. :p

Electric Amish

Elite Member
Oct 11, 1999
Originally posted by: sygyzy
Wow, how come everyone is upset at the OP? Has he been posting things to upset you guys? I haven't noticed.

Anyway, just judging from the article, you have to admit, this is a big messup on NASA's part. I don't know why you guys are defending the space agency like they are some Godly Organization. I mean this is a very expensive project and the rover is STUCK on the collapsed parachute? That's rediculous.

Almost as funny as the standard to metric conversion that sent the other project crashing and burning into another planet...or was that Mars too?

Ok, engineer-boy, break out your protractor and design something better......

Chaotic42

Lifer
Jun 15, 2001
They'll find a way to make it work.

NASA has some great minds, and they're bascially working on a problem every little boy has had.

My RC car is stuck. :)

nick1985

Lifer
Dec 29, 2002

just remember, the guys that planned this are smarter than you could ever hope to become. have a nice day, kthxbye.

sygyzy

Lifer
Oct 21, 2000
Originally posted by: Electric Amish

What happened to you EA? You used to be somewhat normal, now anytime dares state any opionions, you challenge them to do better? You are just as annoying as people who say "Let's see if you can do any better" when they hear someone else say "aww, I cannot believe Kobe missed that layup!"

The fact of the matter is, I am not being paid to develop space rovers. I don't have a Phd, I am not a space engineer. These people do! Now if I mess up on a job that I *am* a part of, then feel free to criticize me. You make such cop out comments, it's pathetic.

Gulzakar

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Manned Missions...Build a large space station with a constant flow of traffic.

Expensive, yes, unrealistic? maybe...but heck, why not try?

Spagina

Dec 31, 2000

What happened to you EA? You used to be somewhat normal, now anytime dares state any opionions, you challenge them to do better? You are just as annoying as people who say "Let's see if you can do any better" when they hear someone else say "aww, I cannot believe Kobe missed that layup!"

The fact of the matter is, I am not being paid to develop space rovers. I don't have a Phd, I am not a space engineer. These people do! Now if I mess up on a job that I *am* a part of, then feel free to criticize me. You make such cop out comments, it's pathetic.

Yes, but I would not call sending a multi-million dollar robot to a planet millions of miles away a standard job. It's not like these guys are flipping burgers, science involves a lot of failure, a lot of trial and error. Everytime these guys go to mars they are learning something new. This has nothing to do about NOT doing their jobs and EVERYTHING to do about them trying to advance human knowledge and science. There's going to be failure, it's normal, especially in something as spectacular as this.

LongCoolMother

Diamond Member
Sep 4, 2001

good call. just because i cant do better, doesnt mean its not crap. just because i cant sing better than o-town, doesnt mean they dont suck. jk.

LongCoolMother

Diamond Member
Sep 4, 2001
Originally posted by: Spagina

Yes, but I would not call sending a multi-million dollar robot to a planet millions of miles away a standard job. It's not like these guys are flipping burgers, science involves a lot of failure, a lot of trial and error. Everytime these guys go to mars they are learning something new. This has nothing to do about NOT doing their jobs and EVERYTHING to do about them trying to advance human knowledge and science. There's going to be failure, it's normal, especially in something as spectacular as this.

it seems ironic though, how you can make something travel 300 million + miles out into outerspace onto a planet you want successfully and then have an airbag fail to work properly. it would seem that even getting the robot off this planet would be more difficult than designing an airbag for landing.

StageLeft

No Lifer
Sep 29, 2000
just remember, the guys that planned this are smarter than you could ever hope to become. have a nice day, kthxbye.
That's the gist of it. Anybody who designs software will tell you that any program of size has a bug in it somewhere. Humans are not infallible. Now, take that line of thinking and throw it into a project of this magnitude. You wouldn't believe how ridiculously careful these guys are when it comes to testing their hardware and software and everything in between. You say it's sad that a little parachute screws it up? Well 2/3 of these missions are failing - and not just NASA ones. England can't communicate with their recent ship to Mars. The planet is 100 million miles away, so it's no small feat to get something there and actually communicate with it.

And the reason we're annoyed at the original poster is because most of his threads lately are just pathetic and annoying to read. This one started with mocking a tribute to mankind's intelligence (because frankly, that's what these things are and I don't know about you but seeing color pictures form a planet one hundred million miles away is fairly nifty), which is a shift from some of his other threads where he talks about wanting to kill himself.
There's going to be failure, it's normal, especially in something as spectacular as this.
Exactly.

kami333

Diamond Member
Dec 12, 2001
Originally posted by: LongCoolMother
Originally posted by: Spagina

it seems ironic though, how you can make something travel 300 million + miles out into outerspace onto a planet you want successfully and then have an airbag fail to work properly. it would seem that even getting the robot off this planet would be more difficult than designing an airbag for landing.

Ever tried throwing something fragile, like an egg in the air? Throwing it up isn't the problem, catching it so it doesn't break or using something like the airbags to soften the fall is harder.

Anyways, it doesn't sound like they didn't plan for it since they have alternative doors they can use, they just can't use the most convinient one.

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Originally posted by: Gulzakar
Manned Missions...Build a large space station with a constant flow of traffic.

Expensive, yes, unrealistic? maybe...but heck, why not try?

Agreed. If there was a man up there he'd just kick the airbag in the nads and say, "Whatever!".

fs5

Lifer
Jun 10, 2000
where are the hi-res photos of mars? I'm not sure I'm looking at the right ones on the nasa website.

n/m looking at space.com now.

msarusac

Feb 12, 2003
I was just looking at the nasa mars website and came along the Viking missions back in the 70s. Besides a better camera (and other instruments of course) and a moveable rover, is there really any difference between this mission and the ones back in the 70s? Why is there such a hype now when successful probes have been sent to Mars already 30 years ago?

Viking picture website

BeauJangles

Lifer
Aug 26, 2001

Think about the gravity of what they are doing right now. NASA has succesfully landed its second rover on ANOTHER PLANET. This thing is so far away you can't even begin to comprehend. They are CONTROLLING this thing from earth. That alone is amazing. Just because things aren't going according to plan doesn't make this mission a failure or anything close. The ability of humans to put a remote controlled robot on another planet is awe inspiring enough. Personally, even if the rover is unable to make it off the landing craft, i will still be impressed. This is totally differen than Kobe dunking, this is real progress, a real step for mankind in many ways. I really can't understand how you can criticize them for the problems they are running into.

EA is right, you couldn't do any better. In fact, this seems to be a bit of bad luck. Nothing more. In hindsight everyone will say, "well they should've expected difficulty getting off the lander". Maybe. BUt they had bigger things to worry about, like landing the damned thing. There are ALWAYS intangibles that come up, especially in a mission like this.

Both you and nanyangview need to get a grip on reality and realize what they are trying to accomplish before naysaying on somethign that is "so obvious".

Jan 18, 2001
Regardless of whether it remains stuck.... 1 billion over the 5-7 year developement cycle is NOTHING compared the rest of the bullsh!t our country spends money on. At least most of that money went back into the US economy instead of into the trade deficit or something. Furthermore, the technologies developed to build the thing will surely lead to something.