Mars Rover SPirit Stuck by its own airbags, NASA sent a VERY Expensive digital camera to mars .

nanyangview

Banned
Jun 11, 2002
man..even a toy car won't get stuck like that:
Rover is Stuck

NASA's efforts to clear the way for the Spirit rover to reach Mars' surface have so far failed, and engineers are considering alternative routes for manoeuvring the six-wheeled robot off its lander, scientists said Thursday.

Too bad..i was waiting for the mars scientific experiments :(

Electric Amish

Elite Member
Oct 11, 1999
Originally posted by: nanyangview
GOOD JOB naSA..even a toy car won't get stuck like that:
Rover is Stuck

NASA's efforts to clear the way for the Spirit rover to reach Mars' surface have so far failed, and engineers are considering alternative routes for manoeuvring the six-wheeled robot off its lander, scientists said Thursday.

Hope it breaks a wheel when trying to do a 3Pt turn on that ramp.

Ok, bright boy, let's see you do a better job...
rolleye.gif

jpeyton

Moderator in SFF, Notebooks, Pre-Built/Barebones
Aug 23, 2003
Mars Rover SPirit Stuck by its own airbags, NASA sent a VERY Expensive digital camera to mark .
Who is mark and how did he get a digicam from NASA?

Martin

Lifer
Jan 15, 2000
Rover is Stuck

And I hope a car runs you over next time you go out, idiot.

StageLeft

No Lifer
Sep 29, 2000
Your attitude lately, nanyangview, is pissing people off. See a fvcking shrink already.

MBony

Platinum Member
Sep 16, 2003
I watched a behind the scenes-type show on all the problems that happened trying to get it to go all the way to Mars. After watching, its hard to believe they even got the rover to Mars at all.

C'DaleRider

Jan 13, 2000
Rover is Stuck

Poor baby.........did Mommy forget to give you your bottle this morning? Wet diaper bothering your diaper rash?

Grow up little one..............if you can.

StageLeft

No Lifer
Sep 29, 2000
Originally posted by: MBony
I watched a behind the scenes-type show on all the problems that happened trying to get it to go all the way to Mars. After watching, its hard to believe they even got the rover to Mars at all.
I was contemplating existence a couple of nights ago and really this is the culmination of mankind's progress, in many ways. It represents the peak of what the human race is currently capable of doing.

vi edit

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 28, 1999
He's just miffed because starving math wizards in far away lands should have been outsourced for the project and weren't.

nmcglennon

Golden Member
Jul 19, 2002
Originally posted by: Skoorb
I was contemplating existence a couple of nights ago and really this is the culmination of mankind's progress, in many ways. It represents the peak of what the human race is currently capable of doing.

I agree. I think this is pretty cool.

BTW: What happened to the 1st rover we sent to Mars? Is it sill there? Does it still work?

DrPizza

Administrator Elite Member Goat Whisperer
Mar 5, 2001
www.slatebrookfarm.com
I'm sure they'll get it off... just not in the direction they intended to get it off... I'll bet they're trying to determine if it'll tip over, etc., rolling off in the other directions.

Descartes

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999

I'm certain you're refering to the program on Nova. This is no different than any project of significant scale whether it be in science or construction. If Nasa were not to include the public in its processes it would not elicit as great an interest as it had, but the result is the same: success. The more ignorant one is to the processes the more successful it seems, but it doesn't change the net result.

StageLeft

No Lifer
Sep 29, 2000
Originally posted by: nmcglennon
Originally posted by: Skoorb

I agree. I think this is pretty cool.

BTW: What happened to the 1st rover we sent to Mars? Is it sill there? Does it still work?
Not sure, but this new one definitely kicks its ass. And its brother will show up on the other side of mars later this month (assuming it's not one of the 2/3 missions to mars failing so far).
I'm sure they'll get it off... just not in the direction they intended to get it off... I'll bet they're trying to determine if it'll tip over, etc., rolling off in the other directions.
I bet. They're going to give it a few commands to gun the motors and turn at the right time, then cross their fingers and wait however many minutes until they find out if it worked :D

It's the ultimate RC vehicle!

StageLeft

No Lifer
Sep 29, 2000
2 outcome will happen

1) Break wheel, imobilized
2) Flip over,

watch and see
Quoted, so that later you can eat your words without editing your post :)

Descartes

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
2 outcome will happen

2) Flip over,

watch and see

I worry for you if you really feel that a single broken wheel would immobilize the rover.

nmcglennon

Golden Member
Jul 19, 2002
2 outcomes will happen

2) Flip over,

watch and see

I don't think that 1 wheel broken would immobilze it.

lokiju

Lifer
May 29, 2003

I'm guessing your referring to the show that was on PBS this past Tuesday I think.

Great show if its the same one I saw, it was called "Mars Dead or Alive".

Descartes

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Originally posted by: blazert40

I'm guessing your referring to the show that was on PBS this past Tuesday I think.

Great show if its the same one I saw, it was called "Mars Dead or Alive".

Tru dat my geek brutha. It will be on again this Saturday afternoon; well, for me anyway.

element

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Can't someone just go over there and push it along? This was filmed in a FOX studio wasn't it? ;)

BooGiMaN

Diamond Member
Jul 5, 2001
i see he already edited the part about hoping a wheel breaks in the original post what a freaking loser.....