Marriage name change troubles

SoylentG

Oct 26, 2005
Alright, so my last name is Spanko, and my fiance's last name is Rodriguez. She dislikes my last name, and doesn't want to take it. I'm not particularly fond of it, but you don't choose your last name based on like/dislike in my opinion. If everyone just named themselves what they wanted, we've have a lot more lame ass names going around, and a lot of peolpe with RL names like Vash and such.

She's asking her soap opera board about possible name consolidations, but I just don't see the point in bucking tradition here. I'm not exactly the full on traditional type of guy, but it just doesn't make sense to me..

Thoughts?

ruffilb

Diamond Member
Feb 6, 2005
If she doesn't want to change her name, don't make her.

You're still married, your last names don't matter.

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
I don't know how to solve your dilemna but Spanko Rodriguez sounds like a great name for a baseball player.

Other than that, just support whatever name your fiance comes up with for herself. You don't have to change your name in anyway but don't try to dictate what she wishes to call herself.

aidanjm

Lifer
Aug 9, 2004
You could come up with a completely new name, that satisfies both of you. No rule says either of you have to keep your original surname.

doze

Platinum Member
Jul 26, 2005
I think she should take your last name, the name change thing is traditional

A customer called me the other day and her last name was Assman. Assuming she is married, Spanko is nothing compared to that.

TwinkleToes77

Diamond Member
Jul 13, 2002
I havent changed my last name yet.. and its been 3 years.. its not that big of a deal to not change it.. ppl still direct me as Mrs (husbands last name) but on paperwork im still with my surname. He doesn't care either.

xSauronx

Lifer
Jul 14, 2000
Originally posted by: aidanjm
You could come up with a completely new name, that satisfies both of you. No rule says either of you have to keep your original surname.

Circlenaut

Platinum Member
Mar 22, 2001
My dad would have my head if my wife one day doesn't take my last name. Strefling is a dying name with only a few tens around the world (stupid WWII...) Dunno, I'd clear this up before marriage.

Jun 4, 2005
Originally posted by: Pippy
My dad would have my head if my wife one day doesn't take my last name. Strefling is a dying name with only a few tens around the world (stupid WWII...) Dunno, I'd clear this up before marriage.

As much as a name meant before, in these times it means nothing. The only thing that matters is if you put value on the name and tradition. If you're doing this for your father, you might regret it.

TwinkleToes77

Diamond Member
Jul 13, 2002
Originally posted by: Pippy

my family's name has already died... all of my dad's brothers had daughters..

Geekbabe

Moderator Emeritus<br>Elite Member
Oct 16, 1999
www.theshoppinqueen.com
Originally posted by: SoylentG
Alright, so my last name is Spanko, and my fiance's last name is Rodriguez. She dislikes my last name, and doesn't want to take it. I'm not particularly fond of it, but you don't choose your last name based on like/dislike in my opinion. If everyone just named themselves what they wanted, we've have a lot more lame ass names going around, and a lot of peolpe with RL names like Vash and such.

She's asking her soap opera board about possible name consolidations, but I just don't see the point in bucking tradition here. I'm not exactly the full on traditional type of guy, but it just doesn't make sense to me..

Thoughts?

lol, I'd go with you taking her last name, I cannot imagine going thru life with Spanko as a name. The torment must be endless :)

RKS

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
My wife hinted at the whole hypenation thing. I told her if she wanted to get married she had to take my name or she could keep her name and we could just move in together.

She went from an old German name to an old Indian one.

Jun 4, 2005
Originally posted by: RKS
My wife hinted at the whole hypenation thing. I told her if she wanted to get married she had to take my name or she could keep her name and we could just move in together.

What were the names?

RKS

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: LoKe

What were the names?

the english translation for her name is/was bucketmaker now it is "don't squeeze the Sharma"

Jun 4, 2005
Originally posted by: LoKe

What were the names?

the english translation for her name is/was bucketmaker now it is "don't squeeze the Sharma"

Bucketmaker, rofl. What was her name in actual German?

Baked

Lifer
Dec 28, 2004
Alright, so my last name is Spanko, and my fiance's last name is Rodriguez. She dislikes my last name, and doesn't want to take it.

I stopped reading after that. She doesn't like to get spank I take it? Well that's contrary to Latin women getting freaky.

EGGO

Diamond Member
Jul 29, 2004
I wouldn't want my last name to be Spanko. What my family usually does is they keep the mother's last name in the middle name.