Mark Esper is out

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
Is it too dark to think Mark Esper refused an order to deploy US troops on American soil?

What other reason could there be? I don't think Esper actually refused that order it's just Trump is planning for the near future.

alien42

Lifer
Nov 28, 2004
CNN published this story 3 days before the resignation...

it ends with...

"One of Esper's most fraught challenges was the direct result of disagreement with the White House: the President's refusal to accept the Pentagon's willingness to rename military bases that honor Confederate generals."

eelw

Diamond Member
Dec 4, 1999
No. Trump is absolutely considering deploying US troops on American soil against American citizens. Y'all need to stop being so naive.
Thing is, what would the purpose of activating the military for marshal law now? He really should have done it in October to fully suppress the vote. As it stands, he's going to get off scot free under Biden. But if he orders the military on American citizens or gets actual citizens to cause violence on his behalf, he's going to get trialed for treason.

uallas5

Golden Member
Jun 3, 2005
Just saw this tweet.
Bribe money to be paid to the orange menace at a later date?
It's bribe money but it's the payment to the UAE for signing a mostly meaningless agreement with Israel to prop up Trump's foreign policy creds before the election. That and some more backroom dealings with the Kushner family to relieve some more of the debt they owe to the UAE national bank.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
Why resign with only 70 days left of Trump?

Trump probably ordered him to write a draft policy about the necessity to bomb muslim countries and round-up traitor muslims in this country. ...intentional, because it looks like the next one in line is absolutely raring to do just that.

Reactions: hal2kilo

cytg111

Lifer
Mar 17, 2008
Is it too dark to think Mark Esper refused an order to deploy US troops on American soil?
I think you are dangerously gullible if you think anything else but that.

Also all of these fuckers resigning... I thought they were trained to stay in the fight...

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
I think you are dangerously gullible if you think anything else but that.

Also all of these fuckers resigning... I thought they were trained to stay in the fight...

It's long considered the only honorable, proper response when you can not conscionably act on the requests of your CIC. Not just military, but also Gov't staff and appointees. Your job is, essentially, to carry out those orders, because "kinda like the pope, who is God's Vicar on earth," POTUS is the "will of the American people."

I mean, they are supposed to be...but we have a system where unpopular losers that can not get a majority of votes (therefore, certainly not the will of the people, by any logical metric), can become POTUS.

But yeah, you are supposed to resign, instead of refusing to carrying out a direct order from CiC. One has to wonder, though, what kind of legal and moral boundaries the Orange cheat-ho is very likely trying to cross here, and if that tradition absolutely needs to be tossed to the dust bin in such circumstances.

soundforbjt

Lifer
Feb 15, 2002
It's long considered the only honorable, proper response when you can not conscionably act on the requests of your CIC. Not just military, but also Gov't staff and appointees. Your job is, essentially, to carry out those orders, because "kinda like the pope, who is God's Vicar on earth," POTUS is the "will of the American people."

I mean, they are supposed to be...but we have a system where unpopular losers that can not get a majority of votes (therefore, certainly not the will of the people, by any logical metric), can become POTUS.

But yeah, you are supposed to resign, instead of refusing to carrying out a direct order from CiC. One has to wonder, though, what kind of legal and moral boundaries the Orange cheat-ho is very likely trying to cross here, and if that tradition absolutely needs to be tossed to the dust bin in such circumstances.
If it was that bad, you'd think they'd "blow the whistle".

Reactions: nickqt

GoPackGo

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 2003
I thought the White House argued that what Trump puts on Twitter isn't "official"?

sactoking

Diamond Member
Sep 24, 2007
The opposite - Sean Spicer confirmed Trump tweets are official Whitehouse communications
GoPackGo is referring to the fact that they've since argued that his Twitter is a private account and that he should be able to block people. In other words, they argue whatever is most convenient regardless of what they've argued in the past.

pauldun170

Diamond Member
Sep 26, 2011
Just saw this tweet.
Bribe money to be paid to the orange menace at a later date?

It's a bribe but not in the way you think. It has more to do with influencing UAE-Iran relations and further destabilizing the region for an end goal both isolating Iran and positioning flunkies in the region to be prepared to strike Iranians on our behalf.

Basically the worlds biggest war maker is offering a strings attached shiny object to governments who want to add to their supercar collection.

Fenixgoon

Lifer
Jun 30, 2003
Mike Pompeo
"There will be a smooth transition to a second Trump administration"
Sure you could naively believe he means after all the votes are counted and still believes Trump can miraculously eke out a victory on votes, buts no shitting my fear of a civil war just went up 1000%

hal2kilo

Lifer
Feb 24, 2009
Mike Pompeo
"There will be a smooth transition to a second Trump administration"
Sure you could naively believe he means after all the votes are counted and still believes Trump can miraculously eke out a victory on votes, buts no shitting my fear of a civil war just went up 1000%
Presidential asperations. What a pathetic joke.