Marijuana Poisoning Children in Record Numbers, Study Shows.

Page 8 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

TechBoyJK

Lifer
Oct 17, 2002
i think alot of these studies lack one thing as well, in fact, i know they do.

consistent, quality, cannibus... i bet studies would look completely different (as if you cant studies that vary widely already, and the reason they do) if you took a quality, organically grown, classic, strain of cannibus.

I tend to make the same argument. Nobody can deny that the 'possibility' for withdrawals are there, but for most users they symptoms seem to be so tame that they go unnoticed, or are mild enough to be written off as insignificant.

And about that argument, I often remind people, especially those who say 'i tried weed once, I didn't like it', that there are many different kinds of cannabis with a multitude of effects that are often specific to the type.

My analogy is that of an apple. If someone comes up and says "I tried an apple once, it was too bitter", wouldn't any reasonable person respond with "What kind of apple did you try? Was it a granny, red, sweet, etc. etc.??? Because even though they are all apples, they can have wildly different tastes.

Or.. another that I know personally. I don't like wine, in general, but my experience in tasting wines is very limited. I had gone to many wine tastings and walked away without having a single drop of wine that tasted good to me. It wasn't until going to a winery with a friend, with no intention of trying any more wines, that she insisted I try a sweet, strawberry based wine, and I basically loved it, and proceeded to drink the entire bottle.

Thebobo

Lifer
Jun 19, 2006
We were given these pamphlets school.
I dont think they work
MJ.jpg

Smoblikat

Diamond Member
Nov 19, 2011
Why is everyone talking about how addictive it is or isnt? Why does it even matter? Tobacco/alcohol/caffeine are ALL highly addictive and I dont see anyone up in arms about that.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
The article didn't fail to point it out. But when four times as many people had depression after smoking pot than before they smoked pot, I would think twice before being so firm that pot is harmless.

Also pointing out a list of smart people who smokes pot as proof that pot doesn't make you dumb is shortsighted and naive. Are these smart people potheads that smoke two joints before they smoke two joints, and then they smoke two more? Probably not.

Uhh, no. More people realize they suffer from depression as they get older, seek help, and are diagnosed as such. Your linked study even offers a disclaimer warning people not to jump to your own conclusions...

Something you don't care to heed, given what you want to believe so desperately.

Pr0d1gy

Diamond Member
Jan 30, 2005
I wish people would actually experience life before dictating or defending policy. For this type of issue to be an argument in the 21st Century should be an undeniable proof that we have gone way off the rails at some point and need to get back to reality so that we can move forward and deal with real issues.

actuarial

Platinum Member
Jan 22, 2009
It will always bug me how marijuana is classified schedule 1 but alcohol is not. Based on the definition of schedule 1:
1. The drug or other substance has a high potential for abuse.
2. The drug or other substance has no currently accepted medical use in treatment in the United States.
3. There is a lack of accepted safety for use of the drug or other substance under medical supervision.

I can't see any reason why alcohol would not fall under this if marijuana does. Let's see:
1. Alcohol is more addictive
2. Marijuana is prescribed medically, Alcohol is not
3. Alcohol is more likely to cause death and other harmful side effects when used

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
It will always bug me how marijuana is classified schedule 1 but alcohol is not. Based on the definition of schedule 1:
2. The drug or other substance has no currently accepted medical use in treatment in the United States.
3. There is a lack of accepted safety for use of the drug or other substance under medical supervision.

I can't see any reason why alcohol would not fall under this if marijuana does. Let's see:
3. Alcohol is more likely to cause death and other harmful side effects when used

MJ haters having been clinging to their lies and propoganda for close to a century.

yhelothar

Lifer
Dec 11, 2002
People need to stop assuming that anyone saying something negative about pot means they want to have it banned.

TechBoyJK

Lifer
Oct 17, 2002
People need to stop assuming that anyone saying something negative about pot means they want to have it banned.

I never took it that you were in favor of prohibition, just wanting to stress the point that it's not completely harmless and there are people out there that have problems with it.

lotus503

Diamond Member
Feb 12, 2005

I get that your not advocating for its prohibition merely pointing out studies that have introduced adverse reactions in its use.

I am suggesting that the control groups in the studies lack sufficient data to substantiate the reactions noted were caused by the plant itself.

I know a few people for example that smoke weed all day every day. I would say %90 of these folks have some serious issues. Thing is I dont think the issues are caused by smoking weed, more the smoking of weed is a manifestation of other problems.

If it wasn't Pot it would be something else like booze, self medicating to a point that it impacts your life in a negative way with ANYTHING is bad.

as I stated before the mind is very powerful, if you smoke every day for a year and then just stop, psychologically your missing something thats been habitual, you may just have withdrawals to that but its not the weed causing the withdrawls its the person having a psychological reaction to the breaking of the habit.

Its personal choice whether the benefits of weed outweigh any potential adverse reactions or consequences of smoking it. what will not happen as with alcohol addiction is your body wont go through chemical withdrawl to the point of making you sick like booze or other drugs.

When you quit and puked for 5 days that wasn't chemical addiction that was your mind owning your body.

If I think of really gross stuff enough i'll dry heave, same mechanics.

Theb

Diamond Member
Feb 28, 2006

It's so bizarre it's almost hilarious. The analgesic, anti-inflamitory, and antiemetic properties are well documented. Not to mention http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compassionate_Investigational_New_Drug_program

Meanwhile methamphetamine is Schedule 2.

Mr. Pedantic

Diamond Member
Feb 14, 2010
http://healthyliving.msn.com/pregna...s-poisoned-by-medical-marijuana-study-finds-1

OH SH*T! after thousands of years without harmful effects, it now seems that since we legalized it there are unintended consequences!

harm?

intensive care!??! this doesnt sound right... oh wait, here in the same article

wtf? so which is it?

articles like these make me want to punch a wall. THC is safer then aspirin, yet theres no cause for alarm when kids get into that stuff. guess what, propaganda idiots? marijuana is like the internet, good luck stopping it. Im not advocating kids eating weed, but to say its going to hurt them if they get into it once is just silly. there used to be a time where doctors gave kids weed to help agonizing symptoms without harmful side effects... why are our doctors getting dumber? (or do THEY not want to say anything because THEY dont want to be singled out?)

Actually, aspirin may be quite dangerous in children, and is generally not recommended because of the risk of Reye's Syndrome.

Methanol poisoning.

Oct 9, 1999
Marijuana addiction can exist; it just doesn't create the same physical addition seen in cigarettes, cocaine, etc., and tends to not be very severe.

BULL SHIT.

can it be habitual? yes.

but please stop talking out of your ass unless you're going to bring some proof.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999

Heh. Then what's the point of your constant moving of the goalposts wrt the "harms" of cannabis?

When one line of shit is discredited, you bring up another, and another- the usual tactics of anti-anything authoritarians.

If you're not trying to roll back reform of cannabis law, what are you trying to accomplish?

yhelothar

Lifer
Dec 11, 2002
I get that your not advocating for its prohibition merely pointing out studies that have introduced adverse reactions in its use.

I am suggesting that the control groups in the studies lack sufficient data to substantiate the reactions noted were caused by the plant itself.

I know a few people for example that smoke weed all day every day. I would say %90 of these folks have some serious issues. Thing is I dont think the issues are caused by smoking weed, more the smoking of weed is a manifestation of other problems.

If it wasn't Pot it would be something else like booze, self medicating to a point that it impacts your life in a negative way with ANYTHING is bad.

as I stated before the mind is very powerful, if you smoke every day for a year and then just stop, psychologically your missing something thats been habitual, you may just have withdrawals to that but its not the weed causing the withdrawls its the person having a psychological reaction to the breaking of the habit.

Its personal choice whether the benefits of weed outweigh any potential adverse reactions or consequences of smoking it. what will not happen as with alcohol addiction is your body wont go through chemical withdrawl to the point of making you sick like booze or other drugs.

When you quit and puked for 5 days that wasn't chemical addiction that was your mind owning your body.

If I think of really gross stuff enough i'll dry heave, same mechanics.

I already addressed this. What makes you think cannabinoids don't follow the same homeostatic principles as other neurotransmitters? The fact is that they do. Chronic smokers build tolerance. CB1 receptors downregulate in the presence of high concentrations of cannabinoids over time, just like any other receptor with their respective neurotransmitters.

The widely perpetuated belief that there's no chemical dependency to marijuana use stemmed from old studies before marijuana became bred and rebred into the animal it is today. It was much much more difficult to reach a concentration in your brain that would downregulate your receptors then. But that's simply not the case anymore.

As much as you'd(and me) like to believe that there's some perfectly benign drug that has a laundry list of miracles, that's just simply not true.

I never took it that you were in favor of prohibition, just wanting to stress the point that it's not completely harmless and there are people out there that have problems with it.

Yup, thank you. Marijuana certainly deserves its reputation for being safer than tobacco and alcohol, both which are legal. But to advocate with absolute confidence that there are no limits to safety, as if you can smoke 3 joints a day everyday for several years and stop whenever you want and not have any repercussions is delusional, idiotic, and dangerous.

That's all I'm saying.

Last edited:

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
I already addressed this. What makes you think cannabinoids don't follow the same homeostatic principles as other neurotransmitters? The fact is that they do. Chronic smokers build tolerance. CB1 receptors downregulate in the presence of high concentrations of cannabinoids over time, just like any other receptor with their respective neurotransmitters.

The widely perpetuated belief that there's no chemical dependency to marijuana use stemmed from old studies before marijuana became bred and rebred into the animal it is today. It was much much more difficult to reach a concentration in your brain that would downregulate your receptors then. But that's simply not the case anymore.

As much as you'd(and me) like to believe that there's some perfectly benign drug that has a laundry list of miracles, that's just simply not true.

Yup, thank you. Marijuana certainly deserves its reputation for being safer than tobacco and alcohol, both which are legal. But to advocate with absolute confidence that there are no limits to safety, as if you can smoke 3 joints a day everyday for several years and stop whenever you want and not have any repercussions is delusional, idiotic, and dangerous.

That's all I'm saying.

Circling back around to the same zombie argument is more like it.

The main reason why potency isn’t correlated with risk is simple. People aren’t idiots. They vary their consumption to account for potency. Someone who says “enough” after drinking 18 ounces of beer will not, if given vodka instead, drink 18 ounces. Similarly, marijuana users will smoke less if the pot they are consuming is of a higher potency.

http://www.cannabisnews.org/the-myth-of-the-potent-pot/2011/11/22/

But still the zombie stumbles on. This column won’t stop it. I know that from personal experience. In fact, all the data I used here came from a long essay I wrote about the “potent pot” myth six years ago. I didn’t slay the beast then. I won’t now.

It's what you want to believe, or at least what you want others to believe, cast in the usual fearmongering mold of authoritarianism. It has the ring of Truthiness, and the bouquet of bullshit.

Wyndru

Diamond Member
Apr 9, 2009
I'm sure the MJ being dispensed for medicinal use in cookie/candy bar form will be dealt with before long. I've never understood why this was even approved. I'm sure there is a tasty liquid or caplet form (for people that have a hard time injesting it) that they can bottle up in a child safety container.

I'm all for marijuana for medicinal use, but it's a joke how it's being dispensed, and I'm sure that will change soon now that it is becoming more commonly used and more states are developing protocols for it's use and medical distribution.

True story. Acetaminophen would never be approved by the FDA today as a new drug. I worked for a drug testing company that was doing a grant study on it. It is by far one of the worst drugs that we tested. Made me think twice about popping a Tylenol for every headache.

What I think is strange is the obscene amount of the drug that they put in other drugs that are commonly abused (painkillers). It's almost like they do this on purpose so that anyone who abuses the meds will end up with liver failure. Lortab comes to mind. It's a painkiller that is commonly in a large ratio range like 2.5-7.5/500 hydrocodone to acetaminophen. The acetaminophen seems to only be there in that high amount so they can put warnings of liver failure all over the bottle.

Last edited:

xj0hnx

Diamond Member
Dec 18, 2007
What I think is strange is the obscene amount of the drug that they put in other drugs that are commonly abused (painkillers). It's almost like they do this on purpose so that anyone who abuses the meds will end up with liver failure. Lortab comes to mind. It's a painkiller that is commonly in a large ratio range like 2.5-7.5/500 hydrocodone to acetaminophen. The acetaminophen seems to only be there in that high amount so they can put warnings of liver failure all over the bottle.

It is on purpose to prevent abuse, just like they add Naloxone to Buprenorphine.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
It is on purpose to prevent abuse, just like they add Naloxone to Buprenorphine.

Ask Rush how that works. He's now deaf as a side effect of the acetaminophen in his former drug of choice, vicodin.

The so called "abuse prevention" ingredient is worse than abuse itself.

lotus503

Diamond Member
Feb 12, 2005

That's all I'm saying.

Sorry I don't buy all neurotransmitters cause withdrawal and building a tolerance is correct however not all smokers chase the initial high and keep smoking until they are blasted.

I use the same amount now as I have for years, sometimes less rarely more.

There is not sufficient data to support chemical addiction.

If I chose not to smoke for a week or month I would have a night or two of tougher time falling asleep.

I know because I frequently go without.
I'm not special.

yhelothar

Lifer
Dec 11, 2002
Sorry I don't buy all neurotransmitters cause withdrawal and building a tolerance is correct however not all smokers chase the initial high and keep smoking until they are blasted.

I use the same amount now as I have for years, sometimes less rarely more.

There is not sufficient data to support chemical addiction.

If I chose not to smoke for a week or month I would have a night or two of tougher time falling asleep.

I know because I frequently go without.
I'm not special.

Tell me, what would qualify as sufficient data to support chemical addiction to you.

Druidx

Platinum Member
Jul 16, 2002
I’m willing to accept there is some small component of chemical addition when it comes to chronic long term use marijuana. I simply think it’s so minuscule when compared to other drugs that come to mind when chemical addition is brought up, that is makes it almost if not completely irrelevant.

yhelothar

Lifer
Dec 11, 2002
I’m willing to accept there is some small component of chemical addition when it comes to chronic long term use marijuana. I simply think it’s so minuscule when compared to other drugs that come to mind when chemical addition is brought up, that is makes it almost if not completely irrelevant.

For the most part, yes. But it is still possible to use a high enough dose(think really sticky pot with a really good bong and huge tokes), chronically where it doesn't become miniscule anymore.

Last edited:

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
For the most part, yes. But it is still possible to use a high enough dose(think really sticky pot with a really good bong and huge tokes), chronically where it doesn't become miniscule anymore.

That is yet to be determined.