Man How F'ed up is this...... Am I being screwed over.....

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Lvis

Golden Member
Oct 10, 1999
I didn't read the whole thread, but you may want to keep shopping. My local Ford dealership sells them brand new for only a thousand more.

kami333

Diamond Member
Dec 12, 2001
Originally posted by: AMDman12GHz
Originally posted by: nourdmrolNMT1
why not have your father buy the car, and then have him sell it to you for 1$ (put it on the title), you just need to get someone who you know to put the little stamp thingy on it, and it will be titled in your name, however your father will still have the payments, which you can just make to him.

(did not read thread to see if this was mentioned)

MIKE

I want to gain the auto credit, And to the guy who wants me to pay cash for it, that does me now good for establishing auto credit, then when I go to get a car later on I will face the same sit. No matter my age, if I don't have auto credit it will still be hard for me to get one.

And to all you saying for me to get something else, Why should I settle for less, and for something that I don't want when there should be a way for me to get what I want.

Josh

Auto credit? Credit history is credit history, doesn't matter if it is a Sears charge card, auto loan or student loan, they all add to your credit report.

jcovercash

Diamond Member
Apr 24, 2001
Originally posted by: L vis
I didn't read the whole thread, but you may want to keep shopping. My local Ford dealership sells them brand new for only a thousand more.

Yea i went and looked at the new ones at a different dealership. They are 25k - 4k+ in rebates. They said I didnt qualify for the rebates since I was a first time buyer...... Even if my parents cosigned. every dealer I have went to have been assholes about my age.

Mill

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
They've been assholes about your age, because you are obviously not credit worthy. There is no difference between regular credit and auto credit. If you can get regular credit you can get auto credit. There are different types of credit... revolving, etc, but having "credit" is having credit.

You don't need a Mustang GT at 19. No one needs a Mustang GT at 19. It will do nothing but get you into trouble. Before you say I don't know you and you are different, realize that I had a brand new one at 16. I completely understand now how foolish that was. My advice is to not get the most expensive car you can afford. Get a car that leaves you wiggle room, so that you can actually have a social life instead of working to pay insurance and your car payment. Also, your quote for a GT is way off. Until you hit 21 it is going to be pretty high.

randomlinh

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
linh.wordpress.com
wait... ppl were saying a capital one company was *good*!?!? i don't think i've ever heard that one :)

but yeah, dealers are being "assholes" about your age for a reason. Teenagers are just a statistic, and you got the odds against you. Put yourself into the dealers shoes. They probably get the same story all the time, and most likely selling to teenagers is a lot more trouble than it's worth for them.

btw, what's this talk about all the different kinds of "credit" anyway...

jcovercash

Diamond Member
Apr 24, 2001
Originally posted by: Mill
They've been assholes about your age, because you are obviously not credit worthy. There is no difference between regular credit and auto credit. If you can get regular credit you can get auto credit. There are different types of credit... revolving, etc, but having "credit" is having credit.

You don't need a Mustang GT at 19. No one needs a Mustang GT at 19. It will do nothing but get you into trouble. Before you say I don't know you and you are different, realize that I had a brand new one at 16. I completely understand now how foolish that was. My advice is to not get the most expensive car you can afford. Get a car that leaves you wiggle room, so that you can actually have a social life instead of working to pay insurance and your car payment. Also, your quote for a GT is way off. Until you hit 21 it is going to be pretty high.

Please stop with the you don't need, you can't afford BS. I have driven a 92 5.0 for 2 years and have driven it safely. Just because the car is a V8 does not mean im going to bullshit around in it. Its just what I want. I was making the same kind of insurance payments/monthly payments on my 92 5.0 when I purchased it 2 years back, and I have had it paid off for 1 1/2 years. The insurance quote isnt just a quote its an actuall price statement they said it WOULD be that....

Josh

PingSpike

Lifer
Feb 25, 2004
You're a male 19 year old. Get used to paying through the nose for cars. You are the most accident prone demographic out there....they don't want to sell you the car because its a solid bet you will wreck it.

I'm sure you're different and blah, blah, blah...but they don't care because they have their statistics sheet and its been right more often than you. Go to a different dealership, maybe you'll have better luck.

Arnold Schwarzenegger: "Stop Whining!"

jcovercash

Diamond Member
Apr 24, 2001
Originally posted by: PingSpike
You're a male 19 year old. Get used to paying through the nose for cars. You are the most accident prone demographic out there....they don't want to sell you the car because its a solid bet you will wreck it.

I'm sure you're different and blah, blah, blah...but they don't care because they have their statistics sheet and its been right more often than you. Go to a different dealership, maybe you'll have better luck.

Arnold Schwarzenegger: "Stop Whining!"

Im not whinning about it, I just feel like I am being lied too about some of the policys. Im not complaining about any costs of the car either, If I wasent ok with the $$$ of the car/insurance I wouldn't be getting it.

Josh

Viper GTS

Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
You gross $1,600 a month & you're trying to finance an $18,000 car?

I don't think your age is the biggest factor.

Even if you take home $1200 a month you're still paying OVER 1/3 of your net pay just on the car payment & insurance.

I make significantly more than you & I would never consider buying an $18,000 car. Do I want a Mustang? Of course, but I can't afford it.

Now, ON topic...

The reason you're having trouble getting financing is you are a massive risk. Young, poor, and thinking with the wrong head.

A Credit Union is probably your best bet, unless you want to pay exorbitant rates through a dealership.

People your age are the ones that end up paying 29% interest & so far upside down their financial future is screwed.

[EDIT]I know I sound like I'm coming down hard on you, but there's a reason for it. When I was your age I wanted to do the same thing. I am forever glad that I did not, & people here are part of what convinced me not to. I got the sense beat into me, & I'm grateful for it. No, I don't like driving the car I do. But my insurance costs me $60 a month & I don't have a car payment.[/EDIT]

Viper GTS

Mill

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Originally posted by: Mill

Please stop with the you don't need, you can't afford BS. I have driven a 92 5.0 for 2 years and have driven it safely. Just because the car is a V8 does not mean im going to bullshit around in it. Its just what I want. I was making the same kind of insurance payments/monthly payments on my 92 5.0 when I purchased it 2 years back, and I have had it paid off for 1 1/2 years. The insurance quote isnt just a quote its an actuall price statement they said it WOULD be that....

Josh

I had a 2000GT at 16 brand new. I still have it in fact. As I said, you don't need that car. Wait until you can actually enjoy it responsibly. At 19 that simply isn't possible. Like I said, spend your money on a lower priced car so that you can save up money and actually have a social life. Otherwise you will be working your ass off just to make the payment. The choice is yours. I am just giving you advice.

Mallow

Diamond Member
Jul 25, 2001
This is their investment... you can't blame then for trying to protect their investment and not wanting to put it solely in the hands of a 19 year old. You may be very responsible, however, statistically 19 yr. olds are not.

jcovercash

Diamond Member
Apr 24, 2001
Originally posted by: Mallow
This is their investment... you can't blame then for trying to protect their investment and not wanting to put it solely in the hands of a 19 year old. You may be very responsible, however, statistically 19 yr. olds are not.

Yes I understand that, but when I am told we can't get you this used 03 GT for 18000, but we can get you this new fully loaded 04 LX for 18000 that aggervates me. Its the same investment for the banks. I am just as likely to wreck a V6 as I am a V8, if you want to look at it saying thats how they look at it. You can drive a v6 just as fast as a v8 if you are irresponsible.

Josh

Gibson486

Lifer
Aug 9, 2000
Dude, you are a teen trying to put down big money. You could show them your bank account and they still wont move unless you give them full cash. What sucks more is that you will be treated like this until you are out of college and have a full time job. You think that sucks? wait till you wanna move out and try looking for an aprtment for college. There will be so many landlords telling you "no, you cannot have the apartment" just because you are a student/undergrad. I know it sucks, but the truth is that most teens think they can do stuff they are not capable of. I'm sorry you got denied for your loan, but you need to realize that being a teen shows no maturity even if you have it. Personally, i wouldn't plunk that much down on car until i have a full time job out of college, but everyone is different. Good luck.

Ausm

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: lnguyen
wait... ppl were saying a capital one company was *good*!?!? i don't think i've ever heard that one :)

but yeah, dealers are being "assholes" about your age for a reason. Teenagers are just a statistic, and you got the odds against you. Put yourself into the dealers shoes. They probably get the same story all the time, and most likely selling to teenagers is a lot more trouble than it's worth for them.

I agree crapital one sux

Sysadmin

Mill

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Originally posted by: Mallow

Yes I understand that, but when I am told we can't get you this used 03 GT for 18000, but we can get you this new fully loaded 04 LX for 18000 that aggervates me. Its the same investment for the banks. I am just as likely to wreck a V6 as I am a V8, if you want to look at it saying thats how they look at it. You can drive a v6 just as fast as a v8 if you are irresponsible.

Josh

You're wrong here. New cars are typically easier to finance than used cars.

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001
What's this "he's 19 and male" crap?

For a lender (any lender) to discriminate on the basis of age (provided the applicant has the capacity to contract) and sex is a violation of the Federal Equal Credit Opportunity Act (ECOA).
A lender can discriminate on the basis of excessive defaults, but the basis for such discrimination must be related to income (although some sources of income are protected), employment, credit history, etc. and NOT on the basis of age or sex (among other protected classes, like race, color, religion, national origin, and marital status).

You need to file complaints with the BBB, your state AG, and the FTC.

FoBoT

No Lifer
Apr 30, 2001
fobot.com
Originally posted by: yellowfiero
Save your money and buy a Geo.

^^^

you should be buying stuff yourself, not having your parents involved. if you can't buy it by yourself, don't buy it

Lyfer

Diamond Member
May 28, 2003

I agree with Nick. Why not make a long term investment instead of paying $18k on a car that will be worth less than $10k by the time your done paying for it.:)

azazyel

Diamond Member
Oct 6, 2000
Originally posted by: Vic
What's this "he's 19 and male" crap?

For a lender (any lender) to discriminate on the basis of age (provided the applicant has the capacity to contract) and sex is a violation of the Federal Equal Credit Opportunity Act (ECOA).
A lender can discriminate on the basis of excessive defaults, but the basis for such discrimination must be related to income (although some sources of income are protected), employment, credit history, etc. and NOT on the basis of age or sex (among other protected classes, like race, color, religion, national origin, and marital status).

You need to file complaints with the BBB, your state AG, and the FTC.

FTC info

SP33Demon

Lifer
Jun 22, 2001
With 18K you can buy a nice used Dodge Hemi truck and that will last longer than a POS Ford. Plus it's no slouch when it comes to speed, and you can haul your stuff to and fro when it's college time. Hell, you wouldn't believe how many hotties I had in college asking me if I could help them move furniture to their new apt's...

Another thing you could do, if you want to build your credit, is have you dad buy the car (give him the cash for it if you have that much). Then go to the bank and take out a secured loan (your dad can secure it) for 18K and make payments back to your dad on it...

Lvis

Golden Member
Oct 10, 1999
Originally posted by: Sysadmin
Originally posted by: lnguyen

I agree crapital one sux

Sysadmin

My truck loan is though them and it's been a great company to do business with. They were people first when I got it, I think they were owned by mbna.

Nothing has changed as far as I'm concerned since they bought it. The entire experience has been fine. The interest rate is very good, I liked the "blank check" they sent for me to buy whatever I wanted.

Maybe capital one will screw them up, I don't know, but my experience has been great.

BlackJesus03

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
Originally posted by: yellowfiero
Save your money and buy a Geo.

Hey now, watch it. I happen to have a geo storm. Wait a second, my car sucks @ss. NM, never buy a geo, and never get one from (i wont name this dealership for fear of prosecuation because it sucks so much @ss and would make more suing a college kid than selling their crappy cars) in Rice, MN. I have spent close to 2500 dollars over the past 2 years fixing this piecer. It was mostly my fault because i was young and stupid and didnt get it checked out at the time, but just to be safe i will never go there again.

sxr7171

Diamond Member
Jun 21, 2002
Originally posted by: NogginBoink
Find another dealer who WILL sell to you.

When you buy your new car go visit the delaer who wouldn't sell to you and inform them of their lost money.

Well its not just the dealer, its ford motor credit.....

I tried banks, banks will not give me an auto loan even with a co-signer, my insurance agency will give me $10,000 so if i saved up the rest, would only need 3-4k i could do that.

Check out "blank check" financing where they give you a pre approved amount to spend and you can buy whatever car you want with it. Go t Capital One as an example. Have your parents co-sign on the app and get your car.

sxr7171

Diamond Member
Jun 21, 2002
Originally posted by: allisolm
I have some credit, which is good, but no auto credit yet.

Okay, I guess I missed the memo on this. Is there auto credit which is different from regular credit and what's the difference?

If it hasn't been explained yet in this thread (I haven't read through yet), "car credit" as I've heard dealers discuss it seems to be very different from regular credit. It seems as though auto finance companies want to see that you were able to successfully handle a car loan in your past before lending you money for a car. A car loan is also a different kind of loan than a credit card or even a home mortgage, cars loans are secured with the car, they require you to have insurance on the car, and they require a certain level of resposibility in terms of making payments, maintaining the requirements etc.

This is why many car finance companies offer first time buyers programs or college graduate programs, where they will let you finance a car without prior "car credit." The college graduate programs are particularly good and get you started on a very good footing in the world of "car credit."

tm37

Lifer
Jan 24, 2001
Well the more we investigated it we found out the reason the dealership denied me was because they, the dealership hardly EVER gives a 19 year old a GT, because statistically they get returned due to non payment, This is no matter the down payment, no matter how many cosigners and no matter the cosigners auto credit. Well I got in touch with Ford Motor credit and they told me the same thing. Well tell me does the friggin car have a sticker on the window that says must be 21+ to purchase no matter the situation.

Ford motor credit may have that policy But I doubt the dealer does.

Dealers typically do not provide the financing for vehicles they sell the note to lending institutions. So if they can't get you bought you get no car.

Your beef here is with the lender not the dealer.