Lumia 920

Page 21 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

OBLAMA2009

Diamond Member
Apr 17, 2008
I agree with you after playing with Lumia 920 for 2+ days now.

But to be fair, iOS is in its 5th year, Android is in 4th year while Windows Phone is only in its 2nd year.

However, I am seriously thinking of returning my Lumia 920 and trying out Nexus 4 or just going back to iPhone

they havent been coming out with updates very quickly for win either, it may be a while before all those rough edges are smoothed out. id take it back and get a note 2. i tried it at the att store and wow it think it may be the best phone available, its very quick. the only thing i dont like about samsung phones is when you double tap to zoom in it doesnt "line up" the text against the right edge of the screen like motorola does. thats almost a reason to only get motorola. the best verizon phone would have to be razr hd maxx. some dude here said he even gets much faster lte speeds with it than his gn (?) i think

gsethi

Diamond Member
Feb 28, 2002
they havent been coming out with updates very quickly for win either, it may be a while before all those rough edges are smoothed out. id take it back and get a note 2. i tried it at the att store and wow it think it may be the best phone available, its very quick. the only thing i dont like about samsung phones is when you double tap to zoom in it doesnt "line up" the text against the right edge of the screen like motorola does. thats almost a reason to only get motorola. the best verizon phone would have to be razr hd maxx. some dude here said he even gets much faster lte speeds with it than his gn (?) i think

The only Android device I would get would have to be a Nexus. Anyways, this is Lumia 920 thread, so lets just stay on topic.

I do agree with you that WP8 is still half baked and needs time to develop. Hoping that MS will fix the issues fast but we dont know how long they will take.

I really love the screen on Lumia 920 though.

magomago

Lifer
Sep 28, 2002
FYI my co worker got one and I jizzed over the phone.
The weight is entirely a non issue --> It makes the phone feel SOLID. The blacks on the screen are also incredible.

I am LOVING live tiles. God I hope there is a solid android skin for Metro; if it wasn't for Nexus 4 pricing, and the fact that I run Tmobile, I'd be heavily thinking of a Lumia 920.

OBLAMA2009

Diamond Member
Apr 17, 2008
FYI my co worker got one and I jizzed over the phone.
The weight is entirely a non issue --> It makes the phone feel SOLID. The blacks on the screen are also incredible.

I am LOVING live tiles. God I hope there is a solid android skin for Metro; if it wasn't for Nexus 4 pricing, and the fact that I run Tmobile, I'd be heavily thinking of a Lumia 920.

then you just wasted a hot load cuz the web page rendering is so janked that youre not going to be able to use it on LOTS of web pages youre gonna want to see

finbarqs

Diamond Member
Feb 16, 2005
the company that bill gates once built up, is slowly falling to pieces... I've never heard so many complaints on a platform especially after a fairly large-scale launch... and after such a reputable company.

Maybe the original iPhone had this much complaints as well, MMS, edge, etc. But then again, it was given a lot of praise as well too... Here, you'll get 20 complaints before you'll get a praise...

Oct 19, 2000
then you just wasted a hot load cuz the web page rendering is so janked that youre not going to be able to use it on LOTS of web pages youre gonna want to see

Just because this keeps getting posted, I'm going to post to say that I rarely have any issues with the WP browser. Rarely had a problem with the WP7.5 browser (even though it was a little slow) and I haven't had a problem with the WP8 browser yet (it's very fast).

You found problems with a couple of sites and that has somehow turned into "lots".

Oct 19, 2000
i think its fair to say win 8 has great potential but its still a little half baked.

I don't think that's fair at all. It has it's things that suck just like every other mobile OS. The only real complaints I've seen about the actual OS are the wifi turning off, which turns out you guys were only half right on (background downloading is the real problem). The rest of the complaints have been about apps or the phone itself. The OS is pretty damn good.

Last edited:

Phobic9

Golden Member
Apr 6, 2001
I'm getting my Lumia tomorrow but after reading some of these complaints, I'm a bit leery on it. I"m also ordering a Nexus 4 today (with the intent of having 2 phones)but if I don't want the Lumia, I wonder how exchanges work. I'm switching from Verizon to AT&T.

dagamer34

Platinum Member
Aug 15, 2005
I'm getting my Lumia tomorrow but after reading some of these complaints, I'm a bit leery on it. I"m also ordering a Nexus 4 today (with the intent of having 2 phones)but if I don't want the Lumia, I wonder how exchanges work. I'm switching from Verizon to AT&T.

I think you'll really like it. The screen is amazing. A lot of people say its only second to the One X, but I think it's better because of the aspect ratio and the texture of the glass is amazing for touch and swipes. The phone has a completely different in hand feel from the Lumia 900 despite the similar design.

And again, dat screeeeeen!

vi edit

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 28, 1999
Just because this keeps getting posted, I'm going to post to say that I rarely have any issues with the WP browser. Rarely had a problem with the WP7.5 browser (even though it was a little slow) and I haven't had a problem with the WP8 browser yet (it's very fast).

You found problems with a couple of sites and that has somehow turned into "lots".

It's slow and frustrating on WP8. I honestly think my old iPhone4 on cruddy Verizon 3g renders pages faster than the Lumia does on a 10mb cable connection. And when it comes to clicking on links within the browser it's terribly inaccurate if not outright oblivious to what you are trying to do. I can move around a forum on the 3.5" screen of my iPhone faster than I can the 4.5" Lumia simply because it doesn't take me 3-5 "taps" before it recognizes that I'm trying to hit a thread instead of the cell that the thread name is listed in.

For me it's not any one single "can't live with" problem with the OS or the phone. It's about a dozen or more minor to mid-minor issues that add up to a frustrating user experience and are something that I an avoid on a different device/OS.

lkailburn

Apr 8, 2006
I've got another question about the browser. Does ie10 maintain tab browsing history? Let's say I do a google search in one tab and clicked on a search result. In my experience, if I close out of ie and do other things and go back it clears all browser cache and I have no ability to go back. I can only view the pages that the tabs were last left on?

Deeko

Lifer
Jun 16, 2000
It's slow and frustrating on WP8. I honestly think my old iPhone4 on cruddy Verizon 3g renders pages faster than the Lumia does on a 10mb cable connection. And when it comes to clicking on links within the browser it's terribly inaccurate if not outright oblivious to what you are trying to do. I can move around a forum on the 3.5" screen of my iPhone faster than I can the 4.5" Lumia simply because it doesn't take me 3-5 "taps" before it recognizes that I'm trying to hit a thread instead of the cell that the thread name is listed in.

For me it's not any one single "can't live with" problem with the OS or the phone. It's about a dozen or more minor to mid-minor issues that add up to a frustrating user experience and are something that I an avoid on a different device/OS.

In my experience, for better or worse, Apple has slightly different touch targets than other platforms. I don't really experience differences in touch targeting going from WP->Android->BlackBerry, but whenever I pull out my iPod Touch, I find myself clicking the wrong links all the time. So if you're coming from an iPhone, it certainly might take some adjusting.

Regarding the browser, I don't have WP8 yet, but I certainly haven't seen the IE9 browser on WP7.5 as being nearly as bad as people are stating here. There are some sites that don't recognize it as a high-class mobile browser and therefore relegate you to WAP-style sites, but it isn't all that common...and that's more an issue with those web developers. Are they really so lazy that they just check for mobile webkit to make that decision? All they have to do is add a single line of code to also check for mobile IE...

vi edit

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 28, 1999
I can't get a good screen shot of my issue, but take a look at this:
https://skydrive.live.com/?cid=E46B...cid=E46BB480E134A82A&id=E46BB480E134A82A!2800

If I was to tap on "last page" on the Lumia 920 thread it would highlight that entire cell where the thread title is and do nothing. I have to pinch and zoom way in for it to actually recognize that I'm clicking on a URL. On iOS I can have it at the full zoom out and it'll still know what I want to click on. It's just annoying.

Doublejr

Jul 25, 2004
Do you have super sensitivity turned on? Just a thought.

I don't have any of the link clicking issues you have coming from a wp7 device, the clicks are supposed to learn how you tap, at least the keyboard is iirc.

The only beefs I have so far are some sites don't work properly and when watching video the win keys stay lit up. Other than that I like it a lot, but we will see with future updates.

lkailburn

Apr 8, 2006
Couple other small questions.

1.When opening an app like mail or facebook it does not auto refresh. I have to hit he refresh button. Is there a way to make it auto refresh if I open an app? I have mail push turned off otherwise I would be gettin beeps every 5 minutes so I have it set to manual but when I open the mail app I want it to auto refresh rather than having to open the app then tap the refresh button.
2. Is there a way to quick scroll to the top of a page? Like in ios tapping the top clock bar
3. Is there a way to turn off the auto hide of the top status bar(4g/wifi/battery etc symbols)?

Oct 19, 2000

I'm just not really seeing speed issues at all, with wifi at home or over non-LTE 4G. It's possible this is because I'm coming from a year stint with WP7.5, because IE on WP8 is easily 10x faster. I also don't have much issue with hitting links, but I also typically zoom in out of habit before selecting a link, ironically because I came from the iPhone and the screen was too small for me to reliably hit links there.

I guess it's all in what you're used to.

Oct 19, 2000
The only beefs I have so far are some sites don't work properly and when watching video the win keys stay lit up.

I read somewhere a couple days ago where somebody tweeted this very thing to Nokia and they replied that they were unaware of this and would look into it.

Oct 19, 2000
Couple other small questions.

1.When opening an app like mail or facebook it does not auto refresh. I have to hit he refresh button. Is there a way to make it auto refresh if I open an app? I have mail push turned off otherwise I would be gettin beeps every 5 minutes so I have it set to manual but when I open the mail app I want it to auto refresh rather than having to open the app then tap the refresh button.
2. Is there a way to quick scroll to the top of a page? Like in ios tapping the top clock bar
3. Is there a way to turn off the auto hide of the top status bar(4g/wifi/battery etc symbols)?

1. No auto-refresh unless the app supports it.
2. Not that I know of. I never knew of this existing in WP7.5 and if they've added it in WP8, I've not seen that they have.
3. No. Not really sure why so many people want to disable it, I like that it auto-hides. Doesn't hurt to give the user the option, though.

VashHT

Diamond Member
Feb 1, 2007
I can't say I've had any problems with accuracy so far, but then again I've been using WP7.5 on and off for a while so maybe I'm used to it.

One thing that I was hoping was fixed was apps downloading things in the background. As an example Audible will only download stuff when it's open, even if it's set to run in the background. It's annoying if you want to look at something else while it's downloading things.

lkailburn

Apr 8, 2006
1. No auto-refresh unless the app supports it.
2. Not that I know of. I never knew of this existing in WP7.5 and if they've added it in WP8, I've not seen that they have.
3. No. Not really sure why so many people want to disable it, I like that it auto-hides. Doesn't hurt to give the user the option, though.

Thanks for the heads up. Dang 3 no's lol. They are all things I was used to with ios. quick/convenient little things ya know. I don't like exiting an app, then having to tap on the status bar just to see if I still have 4g signal(like for instance if an app was loading slowly and I was possibly in an area of poor reception).

vi edit

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 28, 1999
Well if nothing else, WP/Nokia have a flood of new users from different OS's that they have ne er had before testing out the system. It's a pile of new expectations that they can take feedback from and improve their products. You can't fix what you don't know is a major issue.

lkailburn

Apr 8, 2006
yup. I have shown the phone to half a dozen ios and droid users. All of which said "wow this is actually really nice, I can see potential". That's a great start! I think it's missing a lot of "Little" factors to make it an extremely polished setup. And of course the big lack of apps but that's not the OS or mfg's fault. In time..Hopefully hahaa

-Luke

vi edit

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 28, 1999

VashHT

Diamond Member
Feb 1, 2007
Well if nothing else, WP/Nokia have a flood of new users from different OS's that they have ne er had before testing out the system. It's a pile of new expectations that they can take feedback from and improve their products. You can't fix what you don't know is a major issue.

Yeah true, I'd suggest you put the biggest issues up on the suggestion page they have for windows phone, not sure how much it'll actually help but I think they do look at it.

I agree with Ikailburn too, if MS tweaked a lot of little things it could have a really great mobile OS. Hopefully now that they've gotten WP8 out they can focus on polishing some stuff for the next version.

Zivic

Diamond Member
Nov 25, 2002
just wanted to chime in and say I took a quick look at this phone instore yesterday. anyone that says this phone is too big or too heavy is delusional. the phone feels great in hand, and very slim. feels dense for its size, but I wouldn't call it heavy. it looks like a great phone. seriously debating this with the new nexus. I am in deep with android, but I desire a change. I do like wp8... and after physically holding it my hands yesterday the decision has been getting more difficult. a great device regardless