Lumia 920

Page 20 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Topweasel

Diamond Member
Oct 19, 2000
Why is the phone so high priced? I can't justify spending this much on a phone with a Ecosystem with very little apps currently compared to Android/iOS. I am super curious.

I learned from the original Windows 7 phones...I jumped in on launch only to sell the phone a few months later due to No Apps and other limitations.

HTC One X's with 720p screens and the S4 Processor go for $350 ish on ebay.

High priced? You can't use the used sale of an Android Phone to a retail price of a phone just released. For a fully featured flagship phone, its pretty cheap. Hell if you want 1 reason, the inductive charging.

lkailburn

Apr 8, 2006
High priced? You can't use the used sale of an Android Phone to a retail price of a phone just released. For a fully featured flagship phone, its pretty cheap. Hell if you want 1 reason, the inductive charging.

agreed this phone is definitely NOT high priced. 450 out of contract, or 99 with a 2 year. dirt cheap compared to my previous iphones

-Luke

s44

Diamond Member
Oct 13, 2006
...except for the flagship with inductive charging that you can get for $300/$350.

Chrono

Diamond Member
Jan 2, 2001
Audio quality has been superb so far. I'm really starting to dig xbox music... especially since I came from an old zune 30 and used to subscribe to zune music. So far most people I have showed at work really like the phone as well. Just got metrotube... finally a real youtube app and not just a fuckin' bookmark like the MS one in the app store. Anybody know of a good video player similar to vlc on windows phone?

Last edited:

quest55720

Golden Member
Nov 3, 2004
...except for the flagship with inductive charging that you can get for $300/$350.

Except that 300/350 either has 1/4 or 1/2 the storage and no LTE which if you have a grandfathered plan I could see is a big thing. You increase the N4 to 399 to make up the storage that is 50 dollar premium for LTE which many in here begged for. Also Nokia is tossing in a charge plate until the end of the year. I would say both are equally a great bargin depending on what you want. It is great for the consumer hopefully others will follow this trend.

http://nokiafreecharger.com/pages/holding

TheStu

Moderator<br>Mobile Devices & Gadgets
Sep 15, 2004
Audio quality has been superb so far. I'm really starting to dig xobx music... especially since I came from an old zune 30 and used to subscribe to zune music. So far most people I have showed at work really like the phone as well. Just got metrotube... finally as real youtube app and not just a fuckin' bookmark like the MS one in the app store. Anybody know of a good video player similar to vlc on windows phone?

I think that the sync software will convert the video to a format that the device will play. At least the old Zune software would do it.

VashHT

Diamond Member
Feb 1, 2007
Yeah video it can convert but I see no options to automatically convert music when syncing which is something I'd like to use.

TheStu

Sep 15, 2004
Yeah video it can convert but I see no options to automatically convert music when syncing which is something I'd like to use.

Hmm, let me see if the software works with my old 7.5 device.

Also, can anyone say if the WinMoPho8 devices (teehee) still have the 'no wifi when locked' bug?

vi edit

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 28, 1999
Hmm, let me see if the software works with my old 7.5 device.

Also, can anyone say if the WinMoPho8 devices (teehee) still have the 'no wifi when locked' bug?

They do :(

It's almost a deal breaker at this point as I don't want to babysit an install. If I'm trying to download an update or a new app and the screen goes off and then locks the download stops. If I leave the app then the psuedo-kinda-but-not-really multi-tasking stops the download. So instead I have to twiddle my thumbs and every 45 seconds or so tap the screen while a 25 meg update downloads.

HOW DOES THIS PASS QA?!@!?!?!

TheStu

Sep 15, 2004

It's almost a deal breaker at this point as I don't want to babysit an install. If I'm trying to download an update or a new app and the screen goes off and then locks the download stops. If I leave the app then the psuedo-kinda-but-not-really multi-tasking stops the download. So instead I have to twiddle my thumbs and every 45 seconds or so tap the screen while a 25 meg update downloads.

It has been this way for over 2 years now, and on 2 different kernels. It is apparently an acceptable thing to them. I wasn't totally crazy about it before, and still am not.

dagamer34

Platinum Member
Aug 15, 2005

https://twitter.com/joebelfiore/status/267325240479199232

I should state that the reason this wasn't enabled before was for power saving. iOS didn't have persistent WiFi until iOS 4. But as someone who doesn't always have their SIM in their Windows Phone, this fix will be much appreciated.

Last edited:

lkailburn

Apr 8, 2006
holy crap i wasn't aware of that. Haven't come across that scenario yet but thank god a fix is in the works. Also, have been on phone calls for about an hour. Draining battery like crazy, so i had to plug it in. Phone is pretty damn hot to the touch up against my ear.

I realize i'm being nitpicky. Just noticing these little things.

EDIT: don't mistake my nitpicking for dogging on the phone. I am merely pointing things out trying to get the phone to where i want it to be as quickly as possible. So far i DO really like the phone and there are some really great features. If i hated it, i would have sold it already :p

Last edited:

vi edit

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 28, 1999
Yeah, I think it's going back to the store. :(

Too much stuff wrong here. I took it off the charger this morning at 8. Been on wifi all day. Haven't made a single call. Downloaded a few apps, checked a few emails. Listened to about 30 minutes of music. And I'm at 30% battery life.

Just scrolling through some comments in an engadget article and the top left corner gets very hot.

The phone...the OS...it just needed another 6 months to a year of fine tuning to be legitmate.

Sucks.

vi edit

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 28, 1999
Oh and another thing that sucks? It doesn't cache web pages when the phone locks. It refreshes them and reloads each time. So if you are in a long chain of comments and you set the phone down and it locks...when you go back in it will reload the page and you'll lose your place.

Not cool.

lkailburn

Apr 8, 2006
I agree. I don't like the "clear everything out" when the phone locks behavior. I also read that wifi shuts off when the phone locks even if you have an active download going. However they state there is a fix for this.

I was just reading a bunch of threads on the battery and more than half of the people said that after a few days of full charge cycles their battery has almost doubled in runtime. A couple users were showing after moderate usage from 8am to 3pm still being at 80% battery!

At the moment, my battery sucks haha, can't last more than half a day. I'm gonna give it atleast another week for a break in period.

-Luke

Reckoner

Lifer
Jun 11, 2004
Oh and another thing that sucks? It doesn't cache web pages when the phone locks. It refreshes them and reloads each time. So if you are in a long chain of comments and you set the phone down and it locks...when you go back in it will reload the page and you'll lose your place.

Not cool.

Disable Nokia drive beta from running in the background. Once I did that my battery life shot up dramatically.

TheStu

Sep 15, 2004

Not cool.

Well, I remember the big step from 7.0 to 7.5, my battery life doubled, usability increased as well, that was what brought their multitasking, and a better IE engine. WinPho has been a series of ups and downs, 2 or 3 steps forward and 1 step back. So, I guess I am saying that maybe wait for the first major update (it may be the last).

I am looking forward to seeing some hands on reports for the HTC 8X.

lkailburn

Apr 8, 2006
Disable Nokia drive beta from running in the background. Once I did that my battery life shot up dramatically.

I went ahead and did that this morning. i won't comment on battery life too much for atleast a week. Like I was saying i was reading on wpcentral TONS of people had great battery life after using the phone with full charge cycles. I've only had mine since saturday, i still think it needs to break-in

Oct 19, 2000

When I was just copying/pasting my music collection to my 920 through file explorer, I had an album I had purchased from iTunes in .m4a format. Just with the normal Windows copy in W8, it asked me if I wanted to convert it to a format my phone could play. I said yes and it converted. I haven't played that album yet to test if it works, but I assume it will.

Oct 19, 2000
Another Annoyance: SLOW PDF viewing.
Seriously MS, what were you thinking ? your PDF viewer just plain sucks, especially on multi-page pdf documents. And you cant zoom on pdf after rotate ? Who is making/designing these apps at MS ?

Slowly, but surely, I am being pushed back to iPhone. Seriously thinking of returning my Lumia and trying out Nexus 4 now.

Adobe did have their own Reader app on the WP store but I'm not seeing it now. Might be one of those things that's need to be updated for WP8.

Oct 19, 2000

I have seen the exact opposite of what you guys are talking about here. Anytime I download stuff from the store or do updates on multiple apps, I'm always able to start the downloads/updates and then go back to the home screen and do other stuff, or just lock the phone. When I come back, everything has been completed. I always do updates over my home wifi to save on OTA bandwidth.

To test this, I've been meaning to download the entire US map in Nokia Maps (gotta use that space for something). That's over 2.5GB worth of data. First of all, I started the download and stayed on that screen, letting the screen timeout. I let it sit for almost 10 minutes and when turning on the lock screen again, wifi was still on. I unlocked it and the map download had progressed 30% further and was still going. This time I immediately locked it myself and came back a few minutes later, wifi is still on and download still going.

The only time I could get the download to stop is if I left the app. Going back in through the multitask screen would give me the option to resume the download, but that looks more like an app-specific function than anything OS-wide. I've never had to re-enter the store to get a download restarted, though. The next time I have a couple of updates for apps, I'll start the download and immediately go back to the home screen, then lock the phone. I'll report back to see what I find.

CottonRabbit

Golden Member
Apr 28, 2005
Just downloaded Skype while my phone was locked. Doesn't seem to be a problem.

The pdf viewer is pretty crappy, a lot of files I can't load but the ones that do open have been pretty smooth, even a really long user manual with a lot of pictures in it. I can't zoom after rotating either, that's pretty annoying but not a dealbreaker for me.

Are far as I can tell, you also can't delete downloaded PDF's. The files don't even show up when you connect to USB.

gsethi

Diamond Member
Feb 28, 2002
i think its fair to say win 8 has great potential but its still a little half baked.

I agree with you after playing with Lumia 920 for 2+ days now.

But to be fair, iOS is in its 5th year, Android is in 4th year while Windows Phone is only in its 2nd year.

However, I am seriously thinking of returning my Lumia 920 and trying out Nexus 4 or just going back to iPhone