Lumia 920

Discussion in 'Mobile Devices & Gadgets' started by SAWYER, Aug 31, 2012.

1. Topweasel

Topweasel Diamond Member

High priced? You can't use the used sale of an Android Phone to a retail price of a phone just released. For a fully featured flagship phone, its pretty cheap. Hell if you want 1 reason, the inductive charging.

2. lkailburn

lkailburn Senior member

agreed this phone is definitely NOT high priced. 450 out of contract, or 99 with a 2 year. dirt cheap compared to my previous iphones

-Luke

3. s44

s44 Diamond Member

...except for the flagship with inductive charging that you can get for $300/$350.

4. Chrono

Chrono Diamond Member

Audio quality has been superb so far. I'm really starting to dig xbox music... especially since I came from an old zune 30 and used to subscribe to zune music. So far most people I have showed at work really like the phone as well. Just got metrotube... finally a real youtube app and not just a fuckin' bookmark like the MS one in the app store. Anybody know of a good video player similar to vlc on windows phone?

#479 Chrono, Nov 12, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 12, 2012
  5. quest55720

quest55720 Golden Member

Except that 300/350 either has 1/4 or 1/2 the storage and no LTE which if you have a grandfathered plan I could see is a big thing. You increase the N4 to 399 to make up the storage that is 50 dollar premium for LTE which many in here begged for. Also Nokia is tossing in a charge plate until the end of the year. I would say both are equally a great bargin depending on what you want. It is great for the consumer hopefully others will follow this trend.

http://nokiafreecharger.com/pages/holding

6. TheStu

TheStu Moderator<br>Mobile Devices & Gadgets

I think that the sync software will convert the video to a format that the device will play. At least the old Zune software would do it.

7. VashHT

VashHT Platinum Member

Yeah video it can convert but I see no options to automatically convert music when syncing which is something I'd like to use.

8. TheStu

Hmm, let me see if the software works with my old 7.5 device.

Also, can anyone say if the WinMoPho8 devices (teehee) still have the 'no wifi when locked' bug?

9. vi edit

vi edit Elite Member <br> Super Moderator
    Super Moderator

They do :(

It's almost a deal breaker at this point as I don't want to babysit an install. If I'm trying to download an update or a new app and the screen goes off and then locks the download stops. If I leave the app then the psuedo-kinda-but-not-really multi-tasking stops the download. So instead I have to twiddle my thumbs and every 45 seconds or so tap the screen while a 25 meg update downloads.

HOW DOES THIS PASS QA?!@!?!?!

10. TheStu

It has been this way for over 2 years now, and on 2 different kernels. It is apparently an acceptable thing to them. I wasn't totally crazy about it before, and still am not.

11. dagamer34

dagamer34 Platinum Member

https://twitter.com/joebelfiore/status/267325240479199232

I should state that the reason this wasn't enabled before was for power saving. iOS didn't have persistent WiFi until iOS 4. But as someone who doesn't always have their SIM in their Windows Phone, this fix will be much appreciated.

#486 dagamer34, Nov 12, 2012
  12. lkailburn

lkailburn Senior member

holy crap i wasn't aware of that. Haven't come across that scenario yet but thank god a fix is in the works. Also, have been on phone calls for about an hour. Draining battery like crazy, so i had to plug it in. Phone is pretty damn hot to the touch up against my ear.

I realize i'm being nitpicky. Just noticing these little things.

EDIT: don't mistake my nitpicking for dogging on the phone. I am merely pointing things out trying to get the phone to where i want it to be as quickly as possible. So far i DO really like the phone and there are some really great features. If i hated it, i would have sold it already :p

#487 lkailburn, Nov 12, 2012
  13. vi edit

Super Moderator

Yeah, I think it's going back to the store. :(

Too much stuff wrong here. I took it off the charger this morning at 8. Been on wifi all day. Haven't made a single call. Downloaded a few apps, checked a few emails. Listened to about 30 minutes of music. And I'm at 30% battery life.

Just scrolling through some comments in an engadget article and the top left corner gets very hot.

The phone...the OS...it just needed another 6 months to a year of fine tuning to be legitmate.

Sucks.

14. vi edit

Super Moderator

Oh and another thing that sucks? It doesn't cache web pages when the phone locks. It refreshes them and reloads each time. So if you are in a long chain of comments and you set the phone down and it locks...when you go back in it will reload the page and you'll lose your place.

Not cool.

15. lkailburn

lkailburn Senior member

I agree. I don't like the "clear everything out" when the phone locks behavior. I also read that wifi shuts off when the phone locks even if you have an active download going. However they state there is a fix for this.

I was just reading a bunch of threads on the battery and more than half of the people said that after a few days of full charge cycles their battery has almost doubled in runtime. A couple users were showing after moderate usage from 8am to 3pm still being at 80% battery!

At the moment, my battery sucks haha, can't last more than half a day. I'm gonna give it atleast another week for a break in period.

-Luke

16. Reckoner

Reckoner Lifer

Disable Nokia drive beta from running in the background. Once I did that my battery life shot up dramatically.

17. TheStu

Well, I remember the big step from 7.0 to 7.5, my battery life doubled, usability increased as well, that was what brought their multitasking, and a better IE engine. WinPho has been a series of ups and downs, 2 or 3 steps forward and 1 step back. So, I guess I am saying that maybe wait for the first major update (it may be the last).

I am looking forward to seeing some hands on reports for the HTC 8X.

18. lkailburn

lkailburn Senior member

I went ahead and did that this morning. i won't comment on battery life too much for atleast a week. Like I was saying i was reading on wpcentral TONS of people had great battery life after using the phone with full charge cycles. I've only had mine since saturday, i still think it needs to break-in

19. blurredvision

When I was just copying/pasting my music collection to my 920 through file explorer, I had an album I had purchased from iTunes in .m4a format. Just with the normal Windows copy in W8, it asked me if I wanted to convert it to a format my phone could play. I said yes and it converted. I haven't played that album yet to test if it works, but I assume it will.

20. blurredvision

Adobe did have their own Reader app on the WP store but I'm not seeing it now. Might be one of those things that's need to be updated for WP8.

21. s44

s44 Diamond Member

WP8 doesn't play AAC!?

22. blurredvision

I have seen the exact opposite of what you guys are talking about here. Anytime I download stuff from the store or do updates on multiple apps, I'm always able to start the downloads/updates and then go back to the home screen and do other stuff, or just lock the phone. When I come back, everything has been completed. I always do updates over my home wifi to save on OTA bandwidth.

To test this, I've been meaning to download the entire US map in Nokia Maps (gotta use that space for something). That's over 2.5GB worth of data. First of all, I started the download and stayed on that screen, letting the screen timeout. I let it sit for almost 10 minutes and when turning on the lock screen again, wifi was still on. I unlocked it and the map download had progressed 30% further and was still going. This time I immediately locked it myself and came back a few minutes later, wifi is still on and download still going.

The only time I could get the download to stop is if I left the app. Going back in through the multitask screen would give me the option to resume the download, but that looks more like an app-specific function than anything OS-wide. I've never had to re-enter the store to get a download restarted, though. The next time I have a couple of updates for apps, I'll start the download and immediately go back to the home screen, then lock the phone. I'll report back to see what I find.

23. CottonRabbit

CottonRabbit Golden Member

Just downloaded Skype while my phone was locked. Doesn't seem to be a problem.

Are far as I can tell, you also can't delete downloaded PDF's. The files don't even show up when you connect to USB.

24. OBLAMA2009

OBLAMA2009 Diamond Member

i think its fair to say win 8 has great potential but its still a little half baked.

25. gsethi

gsethi Diamond Member

I agree with you after playing with Lumia 920 for 2+ days now.

But to be fair, iOS is in its 5th year, Android is in 4th year while Windows Phone is only in its 2nd year.

However, I am seriously thinking of returning my Lumia 920 and trying out Nexus 4 or just going back to iPhone