low calaorie beverages that are healthy

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

mike8675309

Jul 17, 2013
Genetics can play a large role in tooth health. fluoride doesn't prevent tooth decay it simply reduces the risk..Studies on the relative risk of fluoride to humans remains inconclusive though many people do filter it out because they have enough money to pay for the filters, or they move to a rural area and dig their own well.

PISTON1246

Oct 25, 2018
noscopes.boards.net
I think that some people are much more prone to have cavities than others. My dentist, who has to be at least in his middle 60's has never had a single cavity. I was astounded to hear this.
Do you know what that dentist does and does not put in their mouth?

What procedure was used to check for cavities?

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
Do you know what that dentist does and does not put in their mouth?

What procedure was used to check for cavities?
I have no idea what his eating habits are, etc. How was he checked for cavities? Dunno, but he's got to be in his upper 60's (guessing), so if he had cavities that weren't detected they would have rotted his teeth by now completely, I presume.

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000
I think that some people are much more prone to have cavities than others. My dentist, who has to be at least in his middle 60's has never had a single cavity. I was astounded to hear this.

that's true. some people can avoid anything sugary and brush and floss exactly 20 minutes after eating anything and still get cavities. i'm sure there are others that don't really do much other than a crappy brushing with a worn out toothbrush once a day who never get cavities. probably has to do with mouth chemistry and the exact mix of flora and fauna in there - iirc only one species of bacteria causes cavities.

anywho, as to the OP, i run on iced tea, brewing a gallon of it every other day. i have to cut myself off after 5 though and switch to water.

Reactions: killster1 and Muse

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
I had some super low-cal lemonade today, made with a fresh lemon, water and a pinch of stevia powder for sweetness. Really enjoyed it.

killster1

Banned
Mar 15, 2007
if you need to drink something other than water you will have problems, everything has something wrong with it. Either it doesnt taste good or its simply isnt good for you, i have switched from milk to unsweetened almond milk, It DOES NOT TASTE GOOD, but it is OK i dont mind drinking it adding for cereal etc, i drink that and water everything else is so gross with fake chemical sweetener or really sugary good but bad for me! i refuse to drink aspertaine and steveia is SO GROSS~!

Reactions: rchunter

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
if you need to drink something other than water you will have problems, everything has something wrong with it. Either it doesnt taste good or its simply isnt good for you, i have switched from milk to unsweetened almond milk, It DOES NOT TASTE GOOD, but it is OK i dont mind drinking it adding for cereal etc, i drink that and water everything else is so gross with fake chemical sweetener or really sugary good but bad for me! i refuse to drink aspertaine and steveia is SO GROSS~!
I use Stevia, but in considerable moderation and only occasionally. My coffee is unsweetened, the lactose in my reconstituted nonfat dry milk give it enough sweetness for me. The Stevia I use recently is Now Stevia. I use it in my custard and like it in that usage. Too much stevia can be a cancer risk, it has been maintained, but I'm way below the level of consumption that's thought to be risky. It's derived from plant tissue, not a lab, i.e. from stevia leaves. Too much can leave a bitter aftertaste, but I don't use too much so I don't get that.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
I just cracked open a box of "4C Totally Light to Go Bonus Variety Pack" powdered drink mix (individually-sized). Mixed up some Lemonade flavor.

That's when I found out, these use Stevia. May have to get some more, might explain why they were sold out on Walmart's site.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
I just cracked open a box of "4C Totally Light to Go Bonus Variety Pack" powdered drink mix (individually-sized). Mixed up some Lemonade flavor.

That's when I found out, these use Stevia. May have to get some more, might explain why they were sold out on Walmart's site.
Long as they (and you) don't over do it, the stevia is better for you than sugar.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
Unsweetened almond milk owns. But it's Silk or bust. Their coconut and almond milk is great too, even less calories.

Reactions: Portia

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Sterilit...vailable-in-Case-of-6-or-Single-Unit/38473196

Was re-using 64oz plastic bottles that my Gold Peak Unsweetened Iced Tea came in, maybe for a week or so. Then they get mouldy. (I may have mould in my apt., probably spewed forth by my A/C, which I still run in the Winter, in fan mode to get fresh air in.)

So, had the epiphany to go looking for pitchers. Was looking at Glass ones, found a couple at Walmart.com for cheap (Mainstays brand). But then my friend I was talking to said to look for "sun tea brewing" canisters, and I searched for "iced tea dispensers", which have a glass jar, a spigot at the bottom, and a top lid that can be sealed.

Then they showed me these Sterilite oval 1Gal pitchers, and I knew that was the one that I should get. A six-pack of them was like $12 + ship + tax. After reading the reviews, someone commented that they were perfect for making powdered drinks in, and they they stored three of them, and used three of them. I plan on doing the same.

Several other reviews testified to the good quality of the Sterilite brand.

BPA-free and phylalate-free. (sp?) Also, unlike the Gold Peak bottles, I can wash these pitchers out really well, it looks like.

killster1

Banned
Mar 15, 2007
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Sterilit...vailable-in-Case-of-6-or-Single-Unit/38473196

Was re-using 64oz plastic bottles that my Gold Peak Unsweetened Iced Tea came in, maybe for a week or so. Then they get mouldy. (I may have mould in my apt., probably spewed forth by my A/C, which I still run in the Winter, in fan mode to get fresh air in.)

So, had the epiphany to go looking for pitchers. Was looking at Glass ones, found a couple at Walmart.com for cheap (Mainstays brand). But then my friend I was talking to said to look for "sun tea brewing" canisters, and I searched for "iced tea dispensers", which have a glass jar, a spigot at the bottom, and a top lid that can be sealed.

Then they showed me these , and I knew that was the one that I should get. A six-pack of them was like $12 + ship + tax. After reading the reviews, someone commented that they were perfect for making powdered drinks in, and they they stored three of them, and used three of them. I plan on doing the same.

Several other reviews testified to the good quality of the Sterilite brand.

BPA-free and phylalate-free. (sp?) Also, unlike the Gold Peak bottles, I can wash these pitchers out really well, it looks like.

thats a really great story, but what does it have to do with low calorie beverages? Yes containers mold even with just water, must be washed out everyday (unless you dont mind drinking algae). Glass is optimal but i guess throwing away a plastic one every 6 months would work too.

snoopy7548

Diamond Member
Jan 1, 2005
My Brita filter pitcher that I've had for over seven years never gets mold. I think the longest I've gone without fully washing it was like six months and it was still OK.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Well, those Sterilite 1Gal Pitchers from Walmart are still working good, and somehow, I seem to have lost almost 10 lbs in the last two weeks. Been drinking mostly powdered tea, 4C Lemon Tea with Sugar, 4C Half & Half (with sugar), and Arizona Arnold Palmer (Half&Half with sugar). Along with the singles, 4C Energy Blast Variety (has lots of B vitamins!), and 4C something Lite Variety (has 100% daily vitamin C). I think that one or both of those use Stevia sweetener.

Reactions: whm1974

whm1974

Diamond Member
Jul 24, 2016
Well, those Sterilite 1Gal Pitchers from Walmart are still working good, and somehow, I seem to have lost almost 10 lbs in the last two weeks. Been drinking mostly powdered tea, 4C Lemon Tea with Sugar, 4C Half & Half (with sugar), and Arizona Arnold Palmer (Half&Half with sugar). Along with the singles, 4C Energy Blast Variety (has lots of B vitamins!), and 4C something Lite Variety (has 100% daily vitamin C). I think that one or both of those use Stevia sweetener.
Sounds like you are making good progress with losing weight.

killster1

Banned
Mar 15, 2007

weight that comes off fast Can come back fast. You should be ok if its this is the first month dieting .. also wonder why not just drink water? you really drink that many types of sugary drinks? sounds wonderful but i just stick with unsweetened almond milk and water ;( Sometimes i drink half my girls pepsi but mostly water water and more water.

whm1974

Diamond Member
Jul 24, 2016
weight that comes off fast Can come back fast. You should be ok if its this is the first month dieting .. also wonder why not just drink water? you really drink that many types of sugary drinks? sounds wonderful but i just stick with unsweetened almond milk and water ;( Sometimes i drink half my girls pepsi but mostly water water and more water.
I would drink Coffee and Tea without sugar or water. Or use something like Stevia.

Torn Mind

Lifer
Nov 25, 2012
Make pork shoulder soup and toss in some MSG. There's your tasty drink, and it's salty too.

(Secret Asian technique).

Torn Mind

Lifer
Nov 25, 2012
^ Isn't that a gateway to straight bacon grease?
Bacon and its lovely greasecomes from the belly of Porky Pig, not the shoulder. We Chinese do have our take on that part of the pig too, making what would be translated literally as "red cooked meat"(hong shao rou). Pork is the meat in context, soy sauce makes the meat red after braising, and the sauce makes the meat slightly sweet. It's an oily food, but no doubt healthier as the heat applied is low and slow, and no volatile, rapidly oxidized vegetable oils are needed.

What I have eaten regarding the soup is so rudimentary a monkey can cook it. Put should in water, boil it, let the "scum" rise to the top. Skim it off or keep it in the mix, it doesn't matter. Then simmer an extra long time until the pork flakes apart easily. Vegetables can be whatever, although wintermelon is often used by Chinese while other societies do not know of such a melon. I like the white part of lettuce in the soup.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
Bacon and its lovely greasecomes from the belly of Porky Pig, not the shoulder. We Chinese do have our take on that part of the pig too, making what would be translated literally as "red cooked meat"(hong shao rou). Pork is the meat in context, soy sauce makes the meat red after braising, and the sauce makes the meat slightly sweet. It's an oily food, but no doubt healthier as the heat applied is low and slow, and no volatile, rapidly oxidized vegetable oils are needed.

What I have eaten regarding the soup is so rudimentary a monkey can cook it. Put should in water, boil it, let the "scum" rise to the top. Skim it off or keep it in the mix, it doesn't matter. Then simmer an extra long time until the pork flakes apart easily. Vegetables can be whatever, although wintermelon is often used by Chinese while other societies do not know of such a melon. I like the white part of lettuce in the soup.
So, just simmer pork meat a real long time, add some soy sauce and perhaps vegetables?

Wintermelon is very probably available at the indy supermarket 1/4 mile up the street from me. It's Asian owned and there's a large Asian contingent in our extremely diverse community.