LOST episode 3/2

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Tremulant

Diamond Member
Jul 2, 2004
Originally posted by: MrDingleDangle

Originally posted by: rh71
Originally posted by: MrChad
Originally posted by: Spooner
Another interesting episode giving hints to the fact that every character on the plane is connected in some way.

My theory is that they're all dead, they're in some kind of purgatory/afterlife and Locke is God.
JJ Abrams said they were not dead... and the "secret" to all this really could happen.

there are really mystery numbers out there that could let me win the lotto, but hurt all my friends, that is being broadcast from some strange island!?!?

by the way, the numbers ARE NOT 3, 7, 20, 23, 45... yep i didnt hear those over static one day :confused:

OH. I think I'll play the lotto this week.. :evil:;):)

rh71

No Lifer
Aug 28, 2001
Originally posted by: MrDingleDangle

Another interesting episode giving hints to the fact that every character on the plane is connected in some way.

My theory is that they're all dead, they're in some kind of purgatory/afterlife and Locke is God.
JJ Abrams said they were not dead... and the "secret" to all this really could happen.

there are really mystery numbers out there that could let me win the lotto, but hurt all my friends, that is being broadcast from some strange island!?!?

by the way, the numbers ARE NOT 3, 7, 20, 23, 45... yep i didnt hear those over static one day :confused:
What's behind this island can really happen is what he said... not what leads them there.

MmmSkyscraper

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2004
Episodes 17 and 18 were great, glad we finally got to see Hurley's story although I got confused with the Hugo/Hurley thing. Is Hurley a nickname, maybe he doesn't like Hugo?

Got my friends into this now, they watched the first 17 episodes in a week, they'll be super-psised when they find out about the gap after #18!

Spooner

Lifer
Jan 16, 2000
we haven't seen Boone in a while. Wonder what he's been doing.

Also, are they going to explain why Hurley is still that fat after being on an island for over a month? I'm pretty sure he'd lose weight.

eakers

Lifer
Aug 14, 2000
Originally posted by: SpunkyJones
In the episode about Jin, anyone notice Hurley on the tv set in the background? Was that about him winning the lottery? If that wasn't him, it was a dam clone.

yes! i was so happy to find out why hurley was on tv in japan haha

clamum

Lifer
Feb 13, 2003
Originally posted by: MrBond
Several people still need their second backstory episode. Hurley, Saiyed, Walt's dad, Claire, Locke, Boone/Shannon and Sun/Jin (although they sort of had theirs already).

The bunker thing will probably be a cliffhanger before the second season.

Although I have no evidence to support this outside of what I've seen on the show, I think Boone has the sickness. I thought Locke did too, but I'm not sure now. It's also possible that Walt does too.

That is, unless it's some sort of actual sickness, like the plague or something. But I think it's more of a mental thing

What do you mean by sickness?

Qwest

Diamond Member
Jan 21, 2001
people win the lottery all the time in the US...why would this be news in Korea?
it's Korea, not Japan, right?

Spooner

Lifer
Jan 16, 2000
Originally posted by: Qwest
people win the lottery all the time in the US...why would this be news in Korea?
that's a very good point. yes, it is korea

UNCjigga

Lifer
Dec 12, 2000
***SPOILERS???***

I read in a blog somewhere that one of the cast members revealed "Lost" is all about UFOs and that the island itself is the site of a crashed UFO. The UFO crashed there around the same time the one in Roswell did (late 40s/early 50s) and a US naval vessel saw the craft coming down and sent a team to explore. The "box" that Locke and Boone are working is actually part of the team's bunker/ship/crashed aircraft. The "black rock" is a gateway that the E.T.s installed for the sole purpose of teleporting to/from Earth and their home ship/planet. The "sickness" is some sort of "magic" the ETs released on the island after some in the naval team accidentally teleported through the rock...they were hoping everyone would die or go insane and people would forget about the island. What the ETs didn't know is that the magic had other effects on people as well...

Basically next season of "Lost" will deal with people from plane crash going to the other side of the rock...

whistleclient

Platinum Member
Apr 22, 2001

The caption said "Lottery Winner, Los Angeles CA."
I'm assuming because it was such a large win-- $156 million-- it made international news, as some stories from overseas make it here. Also, from watching a little BBC news, I've found foreign news broadcasts to be more "world balanced" compared to news in the US, and certainly compared to news in Los Angeles-- where Brad and Jen getting divorced is somehow a lead story.

UNCjigga

Lifer
Dec 12, 2000
Originally posted by: tangent1138

I'm assuming because it was such a large win-- $156 million-- it made international news, as some stories from overseas make it here. Also, from watching a little BBC news, I've found foreign news broadcasts to be more "world balanced" compared to news in the US, and certainly compared to news in Los Angeles-- where Brad and Jen getting divorced is somehow a lead story.
which episode was this Hurley clip in (I must've missed it)--the first Jin episode or last week's?

ShowdOWN

Golden Member
Sep 25, 2002

thats not true. the character that plays jack was on letterman and he was asked the same question. he assured everyone that wasnt the case.

rh71

No Lifer
Aug 28, 2001
we haven't seen Boone in a while. Wonder what he's been doing.

Also, are they going to explain why Hurley is still that fat after being on an island for over a month? I'm pretty sure he'd lose weight.
- Everyone needs their "alone time" ;) Even on an island. Especially true now that hottie step-sis is into Sayid and not him.

- Hurley is still fat because coconuts have a lot of fat in them. Daniel Dae Kim (the guy who plays Jin) said this jokingly on the radio last week.

pulse8

Lifer
May 3, 2000
Originally posted by: purbeast0
Originally posted by: FreshPrince
looks like next week will be rerun...when will we get another new episode?
April 13. :(

Hint: type "tvtome lost episodeguide" in the FireFox URL bar.

omg that is such BS! when they had that crappy cliffhanger for a month back in december - january, that really pissed me off when the new ep came on in january and it sucked!

now this? last nights episode was not that great at all IMO, it was just okay. the previous one was one of my favorite episodes of LOST so far.

but waiting over a month for a new episode? i mean come on, this is crap. i dont know if i am going to stick with this show anymore.

Have you never watched TV before? Shows do this ALL the time.

Get over it.

Anyway, I think the show is great and will watch it whenever it's on. I'm not sure what's on the island, but I've wondered if they are just using it as a mcguffin to progress the story.

This was another great episode and I'm looking forward to April 13th when it all returns. :D

mAdD INDIAN

Diamond Member
Oct 11, 1999
Originally posted by: Jigga
***SPOILERS???***

I read in a blog somewhere that one of the cast members revealed "Lost" is all about UFOs and that the island itself is the site of a crashed UFO. The UFO crashed there around the same time the one in Roswell did (late 40s/early 50s) and a US naval vessel saw the craft coming down and sent a team to explore. The "box" that Locke and Boone are working is actually part of the team's bunker/ship/crashed aircraft. The "black rock" is a gateway that the E.T.s installed for the sole purpose of teleporting to/from Earth and their home ship/planet. The "sickness" is some sort of "magic" the ETs released on the island after some in the naval team accidentally teleported through the rock...they were hoping everyone would die or go insane and people would forget about the island. What the ETs didn't know is that the magic had other effects on people as well...

Basically next season of "Lost" will deal with people from plane crash going to the other side of the rock...

i really hope that's not true.

I'd rather have a more original storyline.

FreshPrince

Diamond Member
Dec 6, 2001
***SPOILERS???***

WTF!

n7

Elite Member
Jan 4, 2004
Originally posted by: FreshPrince
***SPOILERS???***

WTF!

:Q

I really hope this is not true...cause that pretty much ruins any suspense from now on if it is...

drnickriviera

Platinum Member
Jan 30, 2001
I though the cast members didn't get the scripts until they were ready to film? I think this is just speculation from the comic book Walt was reading about Green Lantern and Flash. I seriously hope JJ is smarter than that.

rh71

No Lifer
Aug 28, 2001
Originally posted by: drnickriviera
I though the cast members didn't get the scripts until they were ready to film? I think this is just speculation from the comic book Walt was reading about Green Lantern and Flash. I seriously hope JJ is smarter than that.
They get scripts a week before it films, but they're likely done filming all of season 1 already... they filmed last week's episode back in January.

Nov 7, 2000
Originally posted by: tangent1138

Even tho this is what he quoted to charlie, i dont think this was the amount of the lottery. there was the scene with hurleys financial advisor (?) that was talking about how one of hurleys factories burnt down, but he was still goign to make a lot of money, and how in a short time he had doubled his net worth. so i would think the lotto winnings would be about half that. but then, i guess the before tax lottery winnings would then be about double that, so i dont know. ahahaha

rh71

No Lifer
Aug 28, 2001
if Hurley had been on the news about winning, the other Americans should've at least seen him on tv prior to the trip also. *shrug* Miscalculation on the writers' part ?

xospec1alk

Diamond Member
Mar 4, 2002
if Hurley had been on the news about winning, the other Americans should've at least seen him on tv prior to the trip also. *shrug* Miscalculation on the writers' part ?

But you don't always remember the person that won even if they were on tv...

like can you really remember the last dude that won the lotto big that was on tv?

rh71

No Lifer
Aug 28, 2001
Originally posted by: xospec1alk

But you don't always remember the person that won even if they were on tv...

like can you really remember the last dude that won the lotto big that was on tv?
If I saw Hurley on tv, I wouldn't forget him too easily. Housewife, yes... him, no...

Besides, that's a terrible excuse for the writers. Maybe there's another reason they don't know him... :music:<xfiles>:music: