Los Angeles county cracks down on "illegal" weed. Over a billion dollars of product confiscated.

FelixDeCat

Lifer
Aug 4, 2000

Authorities in Southern California have seized more than 16 tons of marijuana worth an estimated $1.19 billion, Los Angeles County Sheriff's Department officials said Wednesday. The 10-day sting is the largest eradication of illegal marijuana cultivations in the history of the department.

The operation, which began on June 8, resulted in 22 felony arrests, 109 misdemeanor arrests, and 19 arrests from water theft enforcement teams, officials said. More than 200 locations were served with search warrants. Nearly 375,000 marijuana plants and 33,480 pounds of harvested marijuana were seized, along with 65 vehicles, 180 animals and $28,000.

Everyone knows I am opposed weed. So when I read stories of pot being confiscated and hopefully later destroyed after those arrested are sent to prison for lengthy sentences its a good read.

Its too bad however that this is probably its just the tip of the iceberg. These illegal grows have been a problem for a very long time. And now that the state seeks to profit from its sale they have more motivation now than ever to eradicate more large scale operations.

Last edited:

bbhaag

Diamond Member
Jul 2, 2011
Haha good government doing its job. It's only legal if we say so that way we can "regulate" it aka TAX THE FUCK out of it. It's ok though because we can be a good government because we made it "legal" and everyone will know how forward thinking we are......

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
Haha good government doing its job. It's only legal if we say so that way we can "regulate" it aka TAX THE FUCK out of it. It's ok though because we can be a good government because we made it "legal" and everyone will know how forward thinking we are......
The government of California is still infinitely more forward thinking than the OP.

FelixDeCat

Lifer
Aug 4, 2000

This needs to be nationwide effort. Cartels have been using national parks for illegal grows for a long time. They divert water, pollute the land in various ways including the use of large amounts of pesticides and harm anyone who comes near the grows.

• Haha
Reactions: KMFJD

bbhaag

Diamond Member
Jul 2, 2011
Reactions: FelixDeCat

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
Not in this case.

What's your point? He wants masses of people to continue to be arrested and punished criminallyfor recreational use of marijuana, which California allows. That is far more regressive than Cali allowing a shit ton of recreational weed use to happen, while cracking down on the black market.

You have to be nuts to think otherwise.

FelixDeCat

Lifer
Aug 4, 2000
What's your point? He wants masses of people to continue to be arrested and punished criminallyfor recreational use of marijuana, which California allows. That is far more regressive than Cali allowing a shit ton of recreational weed use to happen, while cracking down on the black market.

You have to be nuts to think otherwise.

If it were up to me weed would not be legal at all anywhere. However I am a realist and know locking up lots of people for small amounts is not feasible. So you are exaggerating as usual.

• Haha

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
If it were up to me weed would not be legal at all anywhere. However I am a realist and know locking up lots of people for small amounts is not feasible. So you are exaggerating as usual.
Do you want them to be arrested or not? Have criminal charges or not?

I didn't even mention locking up.

FelixDeCat

Lifer
Aug 4, 2000
Not in this case.

Without diverting this topic too much, CA has contradictory ordinances and laws that make it difficult to get things done. If you watch the 1 hour Youtube video, the Sheriff himself criticizes the District Attorney for not prosecuting all cases presented especially those in regard to prostitution.

Its a very good video. Very in depth.

• Haha

WelshBloke

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
If it were up to me weed would not be legal at all anywhere.

Why? It's not like it would stop people from using it. It would just end up with more people's lives being ruined.

Personally I think they have gone the wrong way about making it "legal", they should have just made it legal to grow it for personal usage and kept it illegal to sell.

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002

Everyone knows I am opposed weed. So when I read stories of pot being confiscated and hopefully later destroyed after those arrested are sent to prison for lengthy sentences, it warms my heart.

Its too bad however that this is probably its just the tip of the iceberg. These illegal grows have been a problem for a very long time. And now that the state seeks to profit from its sale they have more motivation now than ever to eradicate more large scale operations.
Anyone who isn't a horrible human being would just not smoke it. Instead you take glee in people going to prison for a crime that harms no one.

FelixDeCat

Lifer
Aug 4, 2000
Anyone who isn't a horrible human being would just not smoke it. Instead you take glee in people going to prison for a crime that harms no one.

So you support the cartels and their efforts? Thats what this thread is about - stopping them and seizing their crops and resources.

I have set the time index of this video to show you the environmental damage these illegal grows are causing:

• Haha

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
So you support the cartels and their efforts? Thats what this thread is about - stopping them and seizing their crops and resources.
We're talking about people growing their own in LA. If it was legal that would blunt the violence emanating from the cartels over weed. Go read your history on prohibition

FelixDeCat

Lifer
Aug 4, 2000
We're talking about people growing their own in LA. If it was legal that would blunt the violence emanating from the cartels over weed. Go read your history on prohibition

They have stressed this has nothing to do with the drug being grown for personal use or the legal vendors and growers who follow the rules and pay taxes. If you are growing tonnes of it to be sold untaxed and in such a way as to damage the environment and threaten land owners to benefit international crime syndicates then you deserve to be arrested and prosecuted.

• Haha

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
They have stressed this has nothing to do with the drug being grown for personal use or the legal vendors and growers who follow the rules and pay taxes. If you are growing tonnes of it to be sold untaxed and in such a way as to damage the environment and threaten land owners to benefit international crime syndicates then you deserve to be arrested and prosecuted.
I thought you were against it? Now you are against it if untaxed? Make up your mind.

FelixDeCat

Lifer
Aug 4, 2000
I thought you were against it? Now you are against it if untaxed? Make up your mind.

I am against using it all and I also do not think it should be legal. It is illegal where I am from but not in a growing number of states. Even locally small amounts no longer lead to arrest as long you are not caught driving under the influence. You are only ticketed.

Anyway the Sheriff confirmed all the confiscated weed has been destroyed except for an amount needed to be presented at trial for criminal prosecution.

You can argue in favor of weed if you like but we are not going to agree.

• Haha

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
Californias MJ problems, imo, are rooted in prohibition and CA's perfect environment to MJ growing. Tons of MJ has been coming out of CA for decades, long before MJ was legalized.

Other states are not having quite the same problems TMK.

To sum it up, MJ was prohibited for so long, and is so ez to grow in CA, that the black market thriving simply isn't surprising.

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004

My state levies a 20% sales tax on MJ. I wouldn't think twice about paying it. Consistent quality and purity is worth it. Stats are on the label. Going to an unlicensed pharmacist and not knowing what your going to get isn't worth it. This is what we've been asking for, for decades.

Rest assured, the only reason FDC cares is because somebody is being penalized for MJ, that's it. If he had it his way, anyone with any MJ at all would be in jail. He was quite content with the way it used to be.

Last edited:

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006

Everyone knows I am opposed weed. So when I read stories of pot being confiscated and hopefully later destroyed after those arrested are sent to prison for lengthy sentences its a good read.

You're one of the worst humans that has ever lived.

Reactions: jman19

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006

lol that your rationale is that it's "not feasible." That's what matters. Morality and simple human decency are fucking forever beyond you.

I think you are barely human. You're far, far, far more deserving of lifelong incarceration for your sociopathic, anti-human ideology than anyone that has ever possessed a gram, or even up to a ton of weed, for whatever purpose. You are what is wrong with humanity, and history will put you in your museum of shame and disgust.

conehead433

Diamond Member
Dec 4, 2002
Once legal in the US this problem will almost disappear. Of course there will always be a black market. In Canada a gram of high quality legal weed costs so little because of competition that hardly anyone would bother growing it except for personal use.

cytg111

Lifer
Mar 17, 2008
Reactions: jman19 and dank69