Los Angeles county cracks down on "illegal" weed. Over a billion dollars of product confiscated.

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
I am against using it all and I also do not think it should be legal. It is illegal where I am from but not in a growing number of states. Even locally small amounts no longer lead to arrest as long you are not caught driving under the influence. You are only ticketed.

Anyway the Sheriff confirmed all the confiscated weed has been destroyed except for an amount needed to be presented at trial for criminal prosecution.

You can argue in favor of weed if you like but we are not going to agree.
Being against weed isn't the problem. The solution, don't use it. There are plenty of people against alcohol use but prohibition is how we gave birth to criminal organizations early in the 20th century.

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
Being against weed isn't the problem. The solution, don't use it. There are plenty of people against alcohol use but prohibition is how we gave birth to criminal organizations early in the 20th century.

And apparently refuse to learn from this.

Greenman

Lifer
Oct 15, 1999
Once legal in the US this problem will almost disappear. Of course there will always be a black market. In Canada a gram of high quality legal weed costs so little because of competition that hardly anyone would bother growing it except for personal use.
That's not necessarily correct. If weed is heavily taxed then non taxed weed becomes a viable black market substance.

soundforbjt

Lifer
Feb 15, 2002
That's not necessarily correct. If weed is heavily taxed then non taxed weed becomes a viable black market substance.
Not at the prices in advanced states like CO, an ounce there is cheaper than someone could buy on the street just about anywhere in the country.

soundforbjt

Lifer
Feb 15, 2002
Newly legalized states are still ripe with black market weed because there’s no real competition due to the big growers slowing the expansion of growers to maximize their profits.

Greenman

Lifer
Oct 15, 1999
Why don't we have a black market for alcohol? People make their own for their own consumption.
It's all about the price point. If the local seller is cheaper than the weed store that's where people buy from. That may not be the case in some areas, but clearly in LA there is some mechanism that makes untaxed weed a viable commodity.

FelixDeCat

Lifer
Aug 4, 2000
It's all about the price point. If the local seller is cheaper than the weed store that's where people buy from. That may not be the case in some areas, but clearly in LA there is some mechanism that makes untaxed weed a viable commodity.

Exactly. The illegal grows must be stopped.

But I wish people would not bogart this thread with personal attacks. :(

• Haha
Reactions: KMFJD

conehead433

Diamond Member
Dec 4, 2002
This may not always be the case either. Professional growers produce better quality weed than most of the home grown. A lot of people are willing to pay slightly more, or even a premium for the higher quality. That plus the convenience of stopping by a store and being able to select from an assortment of high quality herb.

conehead433

Diamond Member
Dec 4, 2002
Exactly. The illegal grows must be stopped.

But I wish people would not bogart this thread with personal attacks. :(
Wishing continued pain and suffering on others because of how you feel about something is uncalled for. If you had ever hurt like some people do you would change your tune. Of course I'm guessing you think it's OK for people to kill themselves by taking opiods because they're legal. When cannabis is fully legalized in this couintry maybe then you should shut the fuck up.

FelixDeCat

Lifer
Aug 4, 2000
Wishing continued pain and suffering on others because of how you feel about something is uncalled for. If you had ever hurt like some people do you would change your tune. Of course I'm guessing you think it's OK for people to kill themselves by taking opiods because they're legal. When cannabis is fully legalized in this couintry maybe then you should shut the fuck up.

Woah. I'm not sure how you came up with this. Suicide is a whole separate topic unto itself. Some people support assisted suicide others do not. I am somewhat indifferent on the topic.

• Haha

Greenman

Lifer
Oct 15, 1999
This may not always be the case either. Professional growers produce better quality weed than most of the home grown. A lot of people are willing to pay slightly more, or even a premium for the higher quality. That plus the convenience of stopping by a store and being able to select from an assortment of high quality herb.
Something made it worthwhile to produce and attempt to market a billion dollars worth of weed. That something is profit. You can argue any aspect of that you want, but the fact is that there is obviously money to be made in untaxed weed.

Greenman

Lifer
Oct 15, 1999
This statement isn't sane. It has nothing to do with issue at hand and is arguing points that haven't been raised. Perhaps it's time to reevaluate your personal use as it's clearly affecting your ability to reason.

conehead433

Diamond Member
Dec 4, 2002
Lots of people use MJ for pain. It is clearly a better alternative than taking opioids for the same even though they happen to be legal. Part of the reason MJ is not already legal in the US is because of pressure on lawmakers from the pharmaceutical companies because they don't want to lose all their opioid profits. "Opioids were involved in 49,860 overdose deaths in 2019 (70.6% of all drug overdose deaths)". Deaths from the use of MJ is zero.

himkhan

Jul 13, 2013
Something made it worthwhile to produce and attempt to market a billion dollars worth of weed. That something is profit. You can argue any aspect of that you want, but the fact is that there is obviously money to be made in untaxed weed.

This is not an argument. It's your usual game that you play. It's boring. Whenever Felix posts, you can guarantee you will come along to run interference. How much Future PLC stock do the two of you own? Be honest.

Greenman

Lifer
Oct 15, 1999
Lots of people use MJ for pain. It is clearly a better alternative than taking opioids for the same even though they happen to be legal. Part of the reason MJ is not already legal in the US is because of pressure on lawmakers from the pharmaceutical companies because they don't want to lose all their opioid profits. "Opioids were involved in 49,860 overdose deaths in 2019 (70.6% of all drug overdose deaths)". Deaths from the use of MJ is zero.
Opioids are a frightening drug. I've refused them in the past when a doctor wanted to proscribe them. While I have no issue with weed, the fanatics are annoying. All of that is off the topic of untaxed weed being a viable commodity. Clearly there is an underground economy there and there are profits being made.

FelixDeCat

Lifer
Aug 4, 2000
This is not an argument. It's your usual game that you play. It's boring. Whenever Felix posts, you can guarantee you will come along to run interference. How much Future PLC stock do the two of you own? Be honest.

Oh lawd. Put down the edibles bro. There are many discussions going on. Post something on topic without breaking out a conspiracy theory.

• Haha