Looks like Valve is restructuring pretty massively.

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Wyndru

Diamond Member
Apr 9, 2009
Anticipation for HL3 just keeps growing, no ball has been dropped. So because a company doesnt put out a game and you have to wait you lose "respect" for them? So your saying lets just push bullshit out as fast as we can so we can make more money. That makes sense....

I think you missed my point. I said I lost respect because they insisted that the reason that they changed to episodic was to provide more content over a short period of time, and then they just stopped releasing HL titles...real nice.

And regarding the "rushing games" excuse everyone seems to resort to...they have put out a lot of good releases since HL2, and delivered them in a consistant timeline, so we all know they are capable of pushing out non-"bullshit" games in a timely manner. So yeah...to me they dropped the ball on HL.

blastingcap

Diamond Member
Sep 16, 2010
If HL3 is awesome, all will be forgiven by the masses. You know this is true. Just look at Team Fortress 2's gestation period and reception.

giantpandaman2

Oct 17, 2005
They might release it as the "3" box: HL3, TF3, Portal3, CS3.

CS3 is already out. It's CS:GO. (CS, CS:Source, CS:GO being the three iterations.)

TF3? I truly doubt that. TF2 isn't going anywhere anytime soon. Not unless they allowed everyone to port over their hats/gear. But that would make TF3 just a cosmetic update.

Wyndru

Diamond Member
Apr 9, 2009
If HL3 is awesome, all will be forgiven by the masses. You know this is true. Just look at Team Fortress 2's gestation period and reception.
Yeah, you are probably right about that. But if it shows any flaws, people will rip it apart. Sometimes long waits can be a bad thing. The anticipation could build so much that people will expect it to be completely perfect. Blizzard knows all about this.

Episode 3 was originally scheduled for release in 2007, so I'm hoping the extra 6 years of development makes it amazing (and ideally more than 4 hours of content :awe:)

crashtech

Lifer
Jan 4, 2013
I hardly care what's in HL3 at this point, just give it to us already. The longer they wait the higher the expectations get, which makes us wait longer while they change the game to meet the higher expectations, ad infinitum. Just pull the bloody trigger already...

HeXen

Diamond Member
Dec 13, 2009
Steambox seems like another Ouya, neither of which is likely to overcome MS and Sony. Console markets have always been very tight and competitively tough and never enough room for more than 3.
I foresee another Arcadia 2001 happening

black0ut

Feb 23, 2013
steambox isn't another ouya. ouya is total vaporware, dreamed up by people who have set way too high of expectations for themselves.

steambox is nice because it's just commodity pc hardware, and with more and more tvs getting "smart" functionality, it's clear there's a market for more interactive media in the living room outside of consoles.

HeXen

Diamond Member
Dec 13, 2009
steambox isn't another ouya. ouya is total vaporware, dreamed up by people who have set way too high of expectations for themselves.

steambox is nice because it's just commodity pc hardware, and with more and more tvs getting "smart" functionality, it's clear there's a market for more interactive media in the living room outside of consoles.

hmmm...."Release Date 6/25/2013"
Do you even know what "Vaporware" actually is?

Wreckem

Diamond Member
Sep 23, 2006
hmmm...."Release Date 6/25/2013"
Do you even know what "Vaporware" actually is?

He probably hasnt been keeping up to date with Ouya. However, Steambox and Ouya are aimed at two different markets.

And the situation is exactly the opposite. Steambox at the current time is more vaporware than Ouya, and its Valve that has unrelistic expecations. They are producing something thats reportedlu going to be $499+ and by all reports, atleast so far, appears to be woefully underpowered(some games performing worse at 720p than their Xbox360/PS3 versions).

I dont see either succeding. Ouya might actually do better than Steambox because of its price point. I don't really see a market for Steambox. Its a weak PC trying to be a console, but so far doesn't have the optimized software. Not to mention it is likely going to get crushed by XboxNext and PS4, while having a higher expected retail price. Steambox is going to be a niche product unless things drastically change.

Last edited:

DaveSimmons

Elite Member
Aug 12, 2001
Amazon is promoting Ouya on its main page, so expect Amazon Instant Video and MP3 cloud player apps. It may succeed just by grabbing media streamer market from Roku and others while offering some light gaming.

The initial steambox specs did seem far too weak, at a price that's $200 too high.