Looks like Valve is restructuring pretty massively.

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

BladeVenom

Lifer
Jun 2, 2005
I wouldn't call 25 people massive, not with as large as they are. They could of just been trimming the fat off of various projects or whatever. I wouldn't worry though.

They have about 400 people working for them. So they've dropped over 6% of their employees.

Maximilian

Lifer
Feb 8, 2004
Lol, I love blind faith. Everyone acts as if Valve's shit don't stink, and constantly make comments about "LOL VALVE TIME".

Fuck that crap, they lost any and all respect from me. EP2 came out in what? 2007 with EP3 supposedly following soon after? We're about at the gap from HL1 to HL2 here folks...

That and the total departure from what TF2 was supposed to be and instead turning it into a game full of stereotypical cliches and stupid loot drops.

Blargh. If it was any other company (EA Anyone?) Everyone would be up in arms...Even IF EA wasn't trying to sell them out/rush products out.

Yeah screw them for not churning out crappy games every year!

Also screw them for deviating from your idea(whatever the hell it is) of what TF2 was supposed to be!

Valve is clearly a terrible company with highly questionable morals... :rolleyes:

videogames101

Diamond Member
Aug 24, 2005
Lol, I love blind faith. Everyone acts as if Valve's shit don't stink, and constantly make comments about "LOL VALVE TIME".

Fuck that crap, they lost any and all respect from me. EP2 came out in what? 2007 with EP3 supposedly following soon after? We're about at the gap from HL1 to HL2 here folks...

That and the total departure from what TF2 was supposed to be and instead turning it into a game full of stereotypical cliches and stupid loot drops.

Blargh. If it was any other company (EA Anyone?) Everyone would be up in arms...Even IF EA wasn't trying to sell them out/rush products out.

they don't release games that suck, even if they ruined tf2 since it was released

RPD

Diamond Member
Jul 22, 2009
I don't see 6% as massive, not even close. It sucks those people lost their jobs but it is a small number for how many they employ.

This, "massively" not found. People need to relax. Also why are people so bent out of shape about a game that isn't even out? Get over it and yourselves.

Blitzvogel

Platinum Member
Oct 17, 2010
No crazy conspiracies such as Valve "dumping" them so they secretly form another company that is working on a Half Life 3?!

My other notion is that maybe these people were all allied together in some kind of decision or opinion and perhaps getting rid of them was in Valve's best interest? Maybe they wanted HL3, but Gabe wouldn't budge (lol), so they left the company in rebellion?

Mysterious. I don't see Valve having such a brain drain out of malicious or economical intent. They all seem like a very talented bunch.

RampantAndroid

Diamond Member
Jun 27, 2004
This, "massively" not found. People need to relax. Also why are people so bent out of shape about a game that isn't even out? Get over it and yourselves.

I dunno - when you remove key leadership, I think that might change the direction of a lot of projects. Do you think Gates leaving Microsoft changed it?

PingSpike

Lifer
Feb 25, 2004
I'm sort of leaning towards the stock option vesting thing but it could be anything really.

As far as HL3...assuming it is even in some state of development the logical thing to do with it is to release it in tandem with the steam box as its killer app to move the unit. Valve used the same strategy to get Steam off the launch pad. I don't think it would work as effectively as that move but I feel like the steam box is less about selling a successful console and more about making a linux based gaming PC a viable platform. I would not be surprised if it was no released on other consoles. I would be shocked if it wasn't released on the PC at the same time.

BlitzPuppet

Platinum Member
Feb 4, 2012
Yeah screw them for not churning out crappy games every year!

Also screw them for deviating from your idea(whatever the hell it is) of what TF2 was supposed to be!

Valve is clearly a terrible company with highly questionable morals... :rolleyes:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Team_Fortress_2#Origins

Derp....DEEERP! DURRRRR. Did you even follow the development or did you hop on after it was released? Nothing wrong with the latter as that is what most of the TF2 fanbase did. TF:Q/ TF:C was a completely different game as well...but I looooooved them.

I never said anything about RUSHING/Churning out games. It has to do with the fact that fanbois are constantly talking about "valve time" like it's funny.

Have they given an explanation as to what is the deal with HL3? No, they've released other games (L4D, Portal2, L4D2, TF2 updates up the butt, CS:GO), working on their own console, or updates to Steam (their cash cow).

Ooooh but the mystery of HL3's (lol episodic content to be released in a quicker cycle?) release date makes all the fanboi's gines tickle. It's ridiculous.

Last edited:

Nebor

Lifer
Jun 24, 2003
Even if Valve never produced another game, they produced Steam. It is the light and the way for PC gaming. Without Steam as our savior, there wouldn't BE PC gaming anymore. Piracy and B&M hassles would have killed it. But Steam, hallowed be thy sales, has pulled PC gaming from the darkness and into the light. They've done more for PC gaming than any other company in history. May Steam be upon you.

DeadFred

Platinum Member
Jun 4, 2011
Haven't you heard? HL3 was released in Russia yesterday morning at 9:20am local time. All who attended the game's early Russian launch exclaimed, "It was a BLAST!".

e3RLtMn.jpg

Bonesdad

Platinum Member
Nov 18, 2002

Valve's value goes beyond any particular game development (HL3, TF2 etc). Comparing Valve to EA in terms of quality and committment to the gaming community is downright dumb.

Maximilian

Lifer
Feb 8, 2004
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Team_Fortress_2#Origins

Derp....DEEERP! DURRRRR. Did you even follow the development or did you hop on after it was released? Nothing wrong with the latter as that is what most of the TF2 fanbase did. TF:Q/ TF:C was a completely different game as well...but I looooooved them.

I never said anything about RUSHING/Churning out games. It has to do with the fact that fanbois are constantly talking about "valve time" like it's funny.

Have they given an explanation as to what is the deal with HL3? No, they've released other games (L4D, Portal2, L4D2, TF2 updates up the butt, CS:GO), working on their own console, or updates to Steam (their cash cow).

Ooooh but the mystery of HL3's (lol episodic content to be released in a quicker cycle?) release date makes all the fanboi's gines tickle. It's ridiculous.

You clearly are not a PC gamer :rolleyes:

Zeze

Lifer
Mar 4, 2011
OP, can you provide the reddit link?

Also they all left en masse? If so, that's a HUGE fall out.

TehMac

Diamond Member
Aug 18, 2006
People leave Valve all the time. The girl who designed Portal 1 now has her own little dev firm-- she was "acquihired" by Gabe, and then when that project was finished, left.

everyone ticks to their own clock.

giantpandaman2

Oct 17, 2005
Valve does things their own way, they always have. Look at their employee handbook. (I'm sure it's easy to find.) The opening post is mistaken about "restructuring." How do you restructure when there's almost no structure at the company?

Stock options vesting? People need to realize that it's not even a publicly traded company.

Their unique organization (or lack thereof) makes it very hard to pick it out what might be the cause of the "cleansing". The truth of the matter is that they have extremely low turnover compared to just about any company and orders of magnitude less turnover than any game company. Having to cut people is necessary in any organization. Priorities change, people don't mesh, the organization needs new blood, people get to relaxed, people get too intense etc.

There's all sorts of reason that even the most competent employees might not be working out for the company. My guess is simply that Valve needed to do a little house cleaning so things can run more smoothly. I mean there's gotta be some broken cogs in the system for game releases to have slowed down to such a trickle.

Last edited:

silverpig

Lifer
Jul 29, 2001
Valve does things their own way, they always have. Look at their employee handbook. (I'm sure it's easy to find.) The opening post is mistaken about "restructuring." How do you restructure when there's almost no structure at the company?

Stock options vesting? People need to realize that it's not even a publicly traded company.

Their unique organization (or lack thereof) makes it very hard to pick it out what might be the cause of the "cleansing". The truth of the matter is that they have extremely low turnover compared to just about any company and orders of magnitude less turnover than any game company. Having to cut people is necessary in any organization. Priorities change, people don't mesh, the organization needs new blood, people get to relaxed, people get too intense etc.

There's all sorts of reason that even the most competent employees might not be working out for the company. My guess is simply that Valve needed to do a little house cleaning so things can run more smoothly. I mean there's gotta be some broken cogs in the system for game releases to have slowed down to such a trickle.

All corporations have shares of stock, whether they are publicly traded or not.

lupi

Lifer
Apr 8, 2001
Even if Valve never produced another game, they produced Steam. It is the light and the way for PC gaming. Without Steam as our savior, there wouldn't BE PC gaming anymore. Piracy and B&M hassles would have killed it. But Steam, hallowed be thy sales, has pulled PC gaming from the darkness and into the light. They've done more for PC gaming than any other company in history. May Steam be upon you.

I would have been happy without steam.

giantpandaman2

Oct 17, 2005
All corporations have shares of stock, whether they are publicly traded or not.

True, but at an extremely cash rich studio like Valve there's little incentive for them to give out shares rather than simply cash. That and about half the people let go/leaving were relatively recent hires. Thinking all the people left because they got their stocks seems unlikely given those two facts.

It's a lot of hullabaloo over nothing. Criticizing Valve for not releasing HL2: Ep. 3 makes total sense. For a company who prides themselves for seeing gaming as a service rather than a product, they've done a horrible disservice to their hardcore customers. On the other hand, while indulging in speculation on some people getting let go/leaving may be fun, I'd posit it as little more than rumor mongering for bored people.

Wyndru

Diamond Member
Apr 9, 2009
There is no denying they dropped the ball with the Half Life Franchise. Going from releasing statements that moving to an episodic model would ensure quicker releases to basically not releasing anything was a bullshit move.

I know I lost a lot of respect for them with that move. If it does eventually come out (Ep3 or HL3), I won't be buying it at release or purchasing a piece of hardware just to play it. I'll wait until it hits the bargain bin. I've waited this long, what's another year.

Nvidiaguy07

Platinum Member
Feb 22, 2008
I would have been happy without steam.
Regardless about how YOU feel about steam, you have it to thank for keeping PC gaming alive. As far as DRM goes, steam created a model that people can get behind.

There is no denying they dropped the ball with the Half Life Franchise. Going from releasing statements that moving to an episodic model would ensure quicker releases to basically not releasing anything was a bullshit move.

I know I lost a lot of respect for them with that move. If it does eventually come out (Ep3 or HL3), I won't be buying it at release or purchasing a piece of hardware just to play it. I'll wait until it hits the bargain bin. I've waited this long, what's another year.

Anticipation for HL3 just keeps growing, no ball has been dropped. So because a company doesnt put out a game and you have to wait you lose "respect" for them? So your saying lets just push bullshit out as fast as we can so we can make more money. That makes sense....

GundamW

Golden Member
Feb 3, 2000

They might release it as the "3" box: HL3, TF3, Portal3, CS3.