Looks like Valve is restructuring pretty massively.

busydude

Diamond Member
Feb 5, 2010
A post from reddit summed it up who all are leaving:

• Moby Francke, Half-Life 2 character designer and Team Fortress 2 art lead
  • Jason Holtman, director of business development for Steam and Steamworks
  • Keith Huggins, character animator and animator for Team Fortress 2 “Meet the” video series
  • Tom Leonard, software engineer for Half-Life 2 and Left 4 Dead
  • Realm Lovejoy, artist for Half-Life 2, Portal, and Left 4 Dead. She was also part of the original DigiPen-turned-Valve team that created Narbacular Drop, the inspiration for Portal
  • Marc Nagel, test lead for Half-Life, Counter-Strike, and patch updates
  • Bay Raitt, animator for Half-Life 2, Team Fortress 2, and Portal
  • Elan Ruskin, engine programmer for Left 4 Dead, Portal 2, and Counter-Strike: Global Offensive
  • Matthew Russell, animator for Team Fortress 2 “Meet the” video series
  • Jeri Elsworth, who worked on the Steambox
http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/...e_decisions_about_its_future.php#.URxVuGd57Lp

Here is a statement released by Gaben to engadget:

"We don't usually talk about personnel matters for a number of reasons. There seems to be an unusual amount of speculation about some recent changes here, so I thought I'd take the unusual step of addressing them. No, we aren't canceling any projects. No, we aren't changing any priorities or projects we've been discussing. No, this isn't about Steam or Linux or hardware or [insert game name here]. We're not going to discuss why anyone in particular is or isn't working here."
I am not sure, but I guess they are focusing more on hardware and distribution than on developing new games.

Nvidiaguy07

Platinum Member
Feb 22, 2008
I trust Gabe to do whats best for valve and PC gaming.

Even if valve never made another game, what they are doing and have done so far for the gaming community is worth much more than any sequel that they could release.

If anyone is interested, the nerdist podcast had gabe on a month or so ago. Talks a lot about the company. Also this was very interesting: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t8QEOBgLBQU (all about valve as a company)

Maximilian

Lifer
Feb 8, 2004

Even if valve never made another game, what they are doing and have done so far for the gaming community is worth much more than any sequel that they could release.

If anyone is interested, the nerdist podcast had gabe on a month or so ago. Talks a lot about the company. Also this was very interesting: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t8QEOBgLBQU (all about valve as a company)

I massively want a half life 3. But yeah agreed, Gabe knows what hes doing, hes done a great job so far!

Nvidiaguy07

Platinum Member
Feb 22, 2008
I massively want a half life 3. But yeah agreed, Gabe knows what hes doing, hes done a great job so far!

I think theyre gonna wait until they NEED to release it.

Theyre doing pretty damn good right now, and the landscape is just starting to change. Once you see steamboxes pop up, and we see where steam on linux is going, they have HL3 to use however they need it.

To be honest i dont really care all that much about HL3. Portal 2 was a much better game than any half life title. Im sure when it does come out, it will be awesome (it better be), but there are so many good games out that are probably just as good as half life 3 will be.

In some ways i get why people are so pumped, but i think about it this way.

If they just update the graphics so they look ridiculous, add some small features to the gameplay, and finish the story, will that satisfy anyone? Im guessing not.

They are going to have to add a ton to it to be able to compete with newer games, so what your essentially wishing for is a whole new game, but with the HL story.

I could be mistaken about a lot of this, but personally im not the biggest hl fan, even though i did enjoy playing hl2.

And fuck these things!
Headcrab_Fast.jpg

KaOTiK

Lifer
Feb 5, 2001
I wouldn't call 25 people massive, not with as large as they are. They could of just been trimming the fat off of various projects or whatever. I wouldn't worry though.

Zenoth

Diamond Member
Jan 29, 2005
I think that Valve has been waiting for the next generation consoles before working on Half-Life 3. It's just a theory but I think it could be possible, the current [old] generation just doesn't cut it for Valve, since they usually work on quantum leaps when they do work on something. Well, Half-Life (the original) was itself a quantum leap beyond anything released prior to it, and Half-Life 2 was a light-year ahead of the original at the very least on a technical level (but then arguably also on an artistic level, and more).

I think that there's been "too-restrictive" software and/or hardware limitations that hindered their visions for a new Half-Life game. It's surely not the "only" reason though, might have something to do with the writing, or maybe a few other things. But I firmly believe that sometime within the life span of that upcoming generation (not necessarily the first year, but could be two or three years down the road) we'll see a new Half-Life... well I hope so.

Last edited:

Kalmah

Diamond Member
Oct 2, 2003
I think that Valve has been waiting for the next generation consoles before working on Half-Life 3. It's just a theory but I think it could be possible, the current [old] generation just doesn't cut it for Valve, since they usually work on quantum leaps when they do work on something. Well, Half-Life (the original) was itself a quantum leap beyond anything released prior to it, and Half-Life 2 was a light-year ahead of the original at the very least on a technical level (but then arguably also on an artistic level, and more).

I think that there's been "too-restrictive" software and/or hardware limitations that hindered their visions for a new Half-Life game. It's surely not the "only" reason though, might have something to do with the writing, or maybe a few other things. But I firmly believe that sometime within the life span of that upcoming generation (not necessarily the first year, but could be two or three years down the road) we'll see a new Half-Life... well I hope so.

This is exactly what I believe. They always seem to go for the big innovative jump with the HL games. In fear of going call of duty style for half life, they are probably waiting for something; so that the game just isn't the same thing with a new story. The current generation of hardware has been played out.

I'm expecting HL3 to be something like being the first game with full Oculus Rift support or something similar.

TehMac

Diamond Member
Aug 18, 2006
Noooo not Bay Raitt!

This is very interesting tbh. Sounds like something's cooking...but what?

power_hour

Oct 16, 2010
Part of his master plan. EA hires them, they all screw the pooch, EA stock plumets, Gabe buys EA, fires everyone, renames the company Lame Duck. Half Life 3 is produced.

mizzou

Diamond Member
Jan 2, 2008

SANTA!

:awe:

Nvidiaguy07

Platinum Member
Feb 22, 2008
Part of his master plan. EA hires them, they all screw the pooch, EA stock plumets, Gabe buys EA, fires everyone, renames the company Lame Duck. Half Life 3 is produced.

i would kill for ea/origin to be bought/killed by valve. please let this happen.

BrightCandle

Diamond Member
Mar 15, 2007
I struggle to see how Valves supposedly special company policy results in this sort of mass firing. I guess the handbook and all the talks about this equal structure are just half truths, Gabe fires who he wants to when he wants to.

gorobei

Diamond Member
Jan 7, 2007
based on the list in the OP, its pretty weighted on animation and character artist types. maybe the TF2 movie/ova fell through or got outsourced (unintentional pun). if they have a solid enough story that the team felt attached to, they may be spinning off a startup 3d animation studio separate from valve.

Tweak155

Lifer
Sep 23, 2003
Maybe HL3 will be Steambox only. If one game would get me to buy it, that would be it.

BlitzPuppet

Platinum Member
Feb 4, 2012

Lol, I love blind faith. Everyone acts as if Valve's shit don't stink, and constantly make comments about "LOL VALVE TIME".

Fuck that crap, they lost any and all respect from me. EP2 came out in what? 2007 with EP3 supposedly following soon after? We're about at the gap from HL1 to HL2 here folks...

That and the total departure from what TF2 was supposed to be and instead turning it into a game full of stereotypical cliches and stupid loot drops.

Blargh. If it was any other company (EA Anyone?) Everyone would be up in arms...Even IF EA wasn't trying to sell them out/rush products out.

DaveSimmons

Elite Member
Aug 12, 2001
This could just be people who are fully vested in their stock / options deciding that it's time to cash out and move on to something new.

Bungie slipped out of their golden handcuffs and walked away from suitcases full of cash because they were tired of working on Halo all the time.

Texashiker

Lifer
Dec 18, 2010
Lol, I love blind faith. Everyone acts as if Valve's shit don't stink, and constantly make comments about "LOL VALVE TIME".

Everyone knows valve can not count to 3.

If they do count to 3, valve has to subcontract it out to someone.

Valve has left fans hanging for almost a decade with tf2, where is half-life 3, and what about left 4 dead 3?

dagamer34

Platinum Member
Aug 15, 2005
I wouldn't call 25 people massive, not with as large as they are. They could of just been trimming the fat off of various projects or whatever. I wouldn't worry though.

When you look at the resumes of the people who got fired, it doesn't sound like fat to me, sounds like meat. And as far as I can tell, they have no games on the horizon.

I like Steam as much as the next guy, but some people seem to treat it as a religion. It's kinda creepy. And PC gaming is never going to really take off as long as some people have the "PC MASTER RACE!!!" mentality about them.

Lonyo

Lifer
Aug 10, 2002

Fuck that crap, they lost any and all respect from me. EP2 came out in what? 2007 with EP3 supposedly following soon after? We're about at the gap from HL1 to HL2 here folks...

That and the total departure from what TF2 was supposed to be and instead turning it into a game full of stereotypical cliches and stupid loot drops.

Blargh. If it was any other company (EA Anyone?) Everyone would be up in arms...Even IF EA wasn't trying to sell them out/rush products out.

I last played TF2 a year or two ago.
Tried to play it a few months ago. I found it absurdly difficult to find a somewhat normal server, gave up and went back to BF3.

KaOTiK

Lifer
Feb 5, 2001
When you look at the resumes of the people who got fired, it doesn't sound like fat to me, sounds like meat. And as far as I can tell, they have no games on the horizon.

I like Steam as much as the next guy, but some people seem to treat it as a religion. It's kinda creepy. And PC gaming is never going to really take off as long as some people have the "PC MASTER RACE!!!" mentality about them.

I don't meat fat as in are worthless. It can be as simple as they no longer need people (or more than xx number of people) for that position anymore.

Valve is working on a few games atm but they don't talk about what they are doing until they are ready to start showing it off, which is normally means it is pretty far along in development.

Obviously none of us know the reasons these people were laid off, but considering it looks to be people all over and not just on one project it is safe to say they are trimming some.

clok1966

Golden Member
Jul 6, 2004

next gen consoles? I think Valve is thinking STEAMBOX for Halflife 3.. the leveraged HalfLife2 in forcing STEAM on us. I can remember installing it a CURSING Valve for the un needed bloatware.. I played Half life 2 and quickly removed it (steam) once it was "patched". I laugh a little now on how much i hated STEAM back then. Some game was released and I couldn't get in stores so I re-installed STEAM (so i could download).. and havent looked back since.. Use it and Like what it offers everyday.

sorry long point.. tell me how many people would have had steam if it wasn't for Halflife2? Use the same idea on STEAMBOX (or whatever they call it) with Halflife 3..

I dont Think Valve needs cash in any way so it wouldn't be to big a gamble to "force it" and have it backfire, you can backtrack and release PC after. I mean, look how many people will trust EA after the continued company destroying, DRM messing crap they shovel.. Stack a high selling game on top.. the people will come.

clok1966

Golden Member
Jul 6, 2004

ya, taking there time and coming out with game that are pretty much always revered as the best and often game of the year. They could do what most do, pump um out yearly till the series is dead (cod comes to mind). They are not doing the norm.. pumping crap or average out. I for one will wait for good even it takes far to long.

as for TF2- other then graphics (which every single person has a right to like or dislike) is pretty much the same core game-play as TF.. with something i can say i don't much care for (crafting system) but the general public seems to like.. I like the game-play.. don't care about the loot/drops and consistently place in top 3 when i play (so you don't need the loot or crating to play well)..

Sorry cant agree- i will take a company that releases when a game is good, even it takes forever. A company that ALWAYS adds to the game for free, to keep it active and fun. A company that takes modders and hires them and Helps them improve there ideas and get them out to the public.I will take a company that makes games people like to play (TF2, L4D, CS, Portal) over one who shovels the same shit at me yearly and call it a new game for $65 and then adds on a map or two for $18 a crack.. you have your opinion I have mine.. don't make either of us right.

you mention EA.. take companies and closes them after they release a sub par product or two.. (after putting out hit games before EA owned them.. EA don't buy one and done companies, they buy succesfull IP's and run um into the ground). The put out badly designed DRM, they update franchises often sooner then yearly which results in burn out. The publicly state a game is bad before release (SWOnline) because they dont like the f2p MMORPG model that pretty much has to be used now (even if they stubbornly refused to with the SWOnline release). The start a Digital service (before steam) but often charged more then BOXED copies cost for the ability to "download" your game and gave up on it till STEAM proves it was a money maker.

sorry.. VALVE might be slow, and yes that annoying, but they dont put out crap, they GIVE FOR FREE what the rest charge for and they have revitalized a slowly dying PC market while EA slowly tries to kill it.

again just my opinion.