Lmao what do white people eat everyday, educate me.

Page 6 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
This is good, but not anything in the 'you gotta try different things man' territory.

Yes, as a fellow NNJer, I love me some good Cuban food as well as the Noches restaurants here (Colombian).
  • Amazing South American cuisine in Bergen County - Noches de Colombia and the fake competition Noches, and check out any restaurants in West New York / Hackensack
  • Also much better tapas scene can be found in Newark instead of the fancy Hoboken/JC area.
  • Top tier Korean food scene in Pal Park / Fort Lee / Ridgefield (including wood coal KBBQ, most are gas grills)
  • Huge Indian cuisine scene Parsippany & Edison - lots of IT & Financial Indian workers - We held a huge Biryani party during our big production release party.
  • Good old Dutch & Amish cuisine found in Lancaster area
  • Jersey diner scenes throughout the state (although I'm not impressed vs my home state of Mass).
  • The small pocket of authentic Japanese cuisine in Mitsuwa area as you know.
  • You start to see Philly influence in South NJ with cheesesteaks, crabs, and fried oysters, etc.
Wife makes a mean ass Paella (perfected over a decade) and we hosted a Cuban & PR-American couple and knocked their socks off. With Sangria too.

And you can't touch me. I'm a huge connoisseur of the famous NJ classic:
View attachment 68184

I don't go to Hoboken much at all, as that has been catering to mostly rich white people for many years now, but JC has tons of great food options. Downtown JC has been solidly gentrified but there are still gems down there. JSQ has Indian Row and some good places, and then the other neighborhoods like West Bergen and Bergen Lafayette and the Heights still got plenty of variety of ethnic foods.

Not sure why you didn't mention NYC. The options are insane. It's nice to have ramen at Santouka, but the ramen options in the city are a million times more than in NJ. I need to go to the Queens Night Market and the Flushing Chinatown as soon as possible though and lay off the ramen joints for a bit.

• Love
Reactions: Zeze

Zeze

Lifer
Mar 4, 2011
I don't go to Hoboken much at all, as that has been catering to mostly rich white people for many years now, but JC has tons of great food options. Downtown JC has been solidly gentrified but there are still gems down there. JSQ has Indian Row and some good places, and then the other neighborhoods like West Bergen and Bergen Lafayette and the Heights still got plenty of variety of ethnic foods.

Not sure why you didn't mention NYC. The options are insane. It's nice to have ramen at Santouka, but the ramen options in the city are a million times more than in NJ. I need to go to the Queens Night Market and the Flushing Chinatown as soon as possible though and lay off the ramen joints for a bit.
Well said.

I didn't mention NYC since I'm all suburbanized and we simply don't go there with fam unless we make an occasion out of it.

Zeze

Lifer
Mar 4, 2011
Shake Shack is ok. It was crazy delicious as a tourist. Now I have one nearby me.

I rarely go there. Five Guys do the trick just fine too.

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
We have a Shake-Shack in New Haven and I've had burgers from there a few times. They don't suck but compared to a real high quality burger they're just not all that good unless you like your burgers fried to oblivion!

That place is 99% hype.... best thing they serve is their milkshakes.

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
Shake Shack does not fry burgers. They smash a ball of ground beef on a flat griddle to get a nice crust. It's a nice texture. I've had many a shack burger with a nice crisp crust and a juicy inside.

At first I was like wtf is this smash burger style. But open the mind and the deliciousness comes through

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
LOL @ "smashing meat on a griddle" not being fried. :p

Shake Shack is nothing special even if it is pretty tasty. (now you got me thinking about burgers for lunch dangnit!!)

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
We have a Shake-Shack in New Haven and I've had burgers from there a few times. They don't suck but compared to a real high quality burger they're just not all that good unless you like your burgers fried to oblivion!

That place is 99% hype.... best thing they serve is their milkshakes.
Apparently you like your burgers bloody and mooing, so we're definitely looking for something different in a burger. I do, in fact, enjoy having my burgers cooked until they're actually done :p

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
Apparently you like your burgers bloody and mooing, so we're definitely looking for something different in a burger. I do, in fact, enjoy having my burgers cooked until they're actually done :p

To clarify I only have burgers really rare when I make them myself or at a nice/expensive steakhouse.

Also note that people eat ground beef ACTUALLY 100% raw all the time in "steak tartare" and come through just fine (too much for me!)

The issue with ground beef being considered "unsafe" if pink/rare has more to do with the way most stores/butchers make it with cuts from sometimes literally hundreds of animals.

If you instead buy a whole cut of meat and have it ground (or better still grind it yourself @ home) you make the chances of getting sick far lower.

Classic_steak_tartare.jpg

Funny how people don't think twice about scarfing down pounds of sushi but rare beef is somehow "disgusting" and they'll cook/eat it "grey" all the way through. (then they wonder why they don't like beef much)

Last edited:

snoopy7548

Diamond Member
Jan 1, 2005
To clarify I only have burgers really rare when I make them myself or at a nice/expensive steakhouse.

Also note that people eat ground beef ACTUALLY 100% raw all the time in "steak tartare" and come through just fine (too much for me!)

The issue with ground beef being considered "unsafe" if pink/rare has more to do with the way most stores/butchers make it with cuts from sometimes literally hundreds of animals.

If you instead buy a whole cut of meat and have it ground (or better still grind it yourself @ home) you make the chances of getting sick far lower.

I've always wanted to try steak tartare and I'll probably get my chance pretty soon. I'll report back if I don't die of mad cow disease...

Reactions: Captante

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
I generally get the three pack of Costco organic beef. And that's what I make burgers with when camping or at home. And if I cook that well done I'd feel guilty. It's good quality beef why kill it. You make it less juicy and dry .

I cook those medium rare to medium. There has to be some pink in there otherwise you have not done justice to that animal's life.

Depending on the restaurant I'll get medium or medium rare. So many places around here use a pat lafrida beef, So medium rare is often good

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
I'll report back if I don't die of mad cow disease...

My main concern with raw/rare ground beef would be e-coli from a bit of cow-poo finding its way into the grinder... mad cow is thought to be spread by eating stuff like brains. (yuck!)

;)

As I mentioned previously I've eaten literally 1000's of rare burgers in my life and never had a problem.

Last edited:

sactoking

Diamond Member
Sep 24, 2007
My general rule is if I grind it myself I'll go as low as medium, if I'm getting it from a restaurant that I know grinds it on site and I trust them I'll go medium well, everything else is well done. The risk of food borne illness from improperly handled and ground beef is too great.

I've only been sick after a restaurant meal twice in the past 20 or so years and both times it was a burger that did it.

manly

Lifer
Jan 25, 2000
My oh my, it seems that you are quite a pretentious prick. Your past posts are usually of quality but I think this time, you left it deficient by leaving it vauge.

Oooh, a loser Beijingnese, aren't you?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shanghainese#cite_note-:12-17

No, wikipedia is not a source, but outsiders do see the above.

I'm more sense than nonsense for the post you quoted. Come at me with the best you got. ;)
LOL I literally have zero roots of any kind to Beijing so that's at least the third ludicrous comment you've made in this thread. I'll concede you have fair points of the CCP's attacks on regional dialects. That's actually happened worldwide (i.e. suppression of Catalan and Occitan), so it's not a uniquely Chinese phenomenon.

What's nonsense is you claimed the regional Chinese are essentially "foreigners" who share a common script. This is garbage on many levels. It's wrong on a linguistic level: the Sinitic dialects all descended from Ancient or Middle Chinese, and have diverged tremendously over many centuries. You're correct that geography had a lot to do with this.

On a genetic level, DNA analysis has shown that the Han Chinese are very similar genetically. I'm not speaking to any "ethnic purity" because a meaningful portion of Han Chinese DNA has come from "outsiders" to the north. But all modern ethnic Chinese (in China) are quite similar genetically, even though northerners happen to be slightly taller. You can read Wikipedia yourself to confirm this.

Finally, you blanket said you can't get authentic Chinese food in America, which is also horseshit. You're entitled to your own opinions, but we can poke holes in them when they are utterly bonkers. If that makes me a "pretentious prick," then so be it.

manly

Lifer
Jan 25, 2000
Ugg, animal style anything is awful. I hate grilled onions (like raw), so that might be why I dislike it so much. :) In 'n Out is fine, their main claim to fame is price/performance. But the one near me is $5.35 for a double double now, so that kind of went out the window. Their fries are only good well done for about 5 minutes. Once they cool off they are trash.
Price is fair, but that's not their main claim to fame. In-N-Out's motto is fresh ingredients, never frozen. Their fries are uninteresting, but they are certainly prepared fresh. As you said, not bad if eaten immediately with some salt.

As for Five Guys, I tried it once in Sunnyvale CA and it was underwhelming. Like not even close to an In-N-Out cheeseburger. Not sure what I'm missing, but I'm happy to try again a second time?

Reactions: BudAshes

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001

Funny how people don't think twice about scarfing down pounds of sushi but rare beef is somehow "disgusting" and they'll cook/eat it "grey" all the way through. (then they wonder why they don't like beef much)
It's not about safety to me, I just don't like it when it's not fully cooked. The texture and flavor are unappealing. I love beef :D
Sushi is similarly gross, I had some on a date a few years back and it was difficult to not vomit at the table thanks to the horrific texture.

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
I generally get the three pack of Costco organic beef. And that's what I make burgers with when camping or at home. And if I cook that well done I'd feel guilty. It's good quality beef why kill it. You make it less juicy and dry .

I cook those medium rare to medium. There has to be some pink in there otherwise you have not done justice to that animal's life.
If you do it right, it's not dry and is still juicy. Lots of people can't do it right.

WelshBloke

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005

I don't mind steak tartare. It's not my favourite but sometimes I fancy it if I'm at somewhere I trust and they are mincing a good piece of steak.

What I wouldn't eat is steak tartare made from fast food mince!

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
If you do it right, it's not dry and is still juicy. Lots of people can't do it right.
A well done burger will not be as juicy and moist and tender as a medium rare to medium one. You probably don't know because you just eat them very overcooked

Comparatively they are dry. Maybe not literally dry and completely devoid of juice, but nowhere on the same level.

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
I committed treason today and overcooked steaks for my friends 😢

It's gonna be ok brother. It happens to the best of us. The force of a medium rare steak cook is still strong within you. There is redemption for all of us properly cooked steak eaters and forever will be.

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
A well done burger will not be as juicy and moist and tender as a medium rare to medium one. You probably don't know because you just eat them very overcooked

Comparatively they are dry. Maybe not literally dry and completely devoid of juice, but nowhere on the same level.
I've had well done burgers that are dry, and ones that are still juicy. And I've had burgers that were not cooked to my liking, and that extra "moistness and tenderness" is not appealing. It's irritating they get branded as "very overcooked" just because they're not cooked the way someone else prefers to eat them, and being told "you probably just don't know" :rolleyes:

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
I've had well done burgers that are dry, and ones that are still juicy. And I've had burgers that were not cooked to my liking, and that extra "moistness and tenderness" is not appealing. It's irritating they get branded as "very overcooked" just because they're not cooked the way someone else prefers to eat them, and being told "you probably just don't know" :rolleyes:

You are of course entitled to eat burgers (or anything else for that matter) in whatever condition you prefer.... if dry and overcooked is to your taste than by all means have at it!

;)

If there's a "plus" to preparing beef in this fashion it's that the cheap cuts will taste pretty much just like the expensive stuff once you've cooked all the life out of them.

This way you can safely grab your ground beef from the bargain-rack since it's all going to taste just like a "Steak-Umm" anyway!

Last edited:

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013

There are some rules in the food world. Some rules and lots of no rules too, as in mix and match foods as you like. But, good quality beef, whether a steak or a burger, should be cooked medium at the most. Otherwise it's just not doing the ingredient justice. It's just that simple.

Come to the light, you will see the truth to this culinary rule.