Llano part numbers and specs including clock speeds and TDPs leaked

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Zap

Elite Member
Oct 13, 1999
I have serious doubts about the CPU's performance as it has been very sub-par from AMD's mobile offerings in the past. (The architecture still hasn't changed much, right?)

I think AMD's making some positive strides. Used to be that AMD powered notebooks had terrible battery life, yet look how well Zacate does in performance and battery life compared to Atom and even Atom/ION. I know it is fun to speculate, but the real pudding is in the upcoming reviews. Time for AMD to put up or shut up. :biggrin:

I have high hopes of a thin/light notebook with reasonable gaming performance for cheap.

Please?

Also, I wonder how good the graphics could possibly be due to the bandwidth constraints...

This is worrisome. Zacate was saddled with a single channel memory controller. I believe it has been shown to get much improved graphics performance just by going to higher bandwidth memory, for instance going from 1066MHz to 1333MHz data rate. At least it looks as if Llano will be dual channel... hopefully.

nonameo

Diamond Member
Mar 13, 2006
This is worrisome. Zacate was saddled with a single channel memory controller. I believe it has been shown to get much improved graphics performance just by going to higher bandwidth memory, for instance going from 1066MHz to 1333MHz data rate. At least it looks as if Llano will be dual channel... hopefully.

it will also support DDR3 1866 for most SKUs.

Soulkeeper

Diamond Member
Nov 23, 2001
going by ddr3 dual channel 1866 there should theoretically be about 30GB/s (14933MB/s * 2) of bandwidth to share between the cpu and gpu. Ignoring latency differences between system ddr3 and potential gpu ddr3 implementations here are addon video cards with similar bandwidth:

radeon 5550 550MHz 320ps
radeon 5570 650MHz 400ps
radeon 6450 750MHz 160ps
radeon 6570 650MHz 480ps

28.8GB/s for all of the above with gddr3 and reference clocks
Source 1
Source 2

I suppose it comes down to how much of that ~30GB/s is hogged by the cpu cores

random thoughts for the 400 shader APU:
~15% fewer shader units than 6570
assuming 50% of bandwidth is used by cpu cores
then it could be potentially 15% to 50%+ slower than a 6570 depending on the apps being run
Unfortunately I can only find benchmarks for the gddr5 version of the 6570 which has twice the mem bandwidth.

Last edited:

formulav8

Diamond Member
Sep 18, 2000
This is one of the few times that there will probably be some actual, worthwhile gains in gfx performance using high-speed ram over the typical mainstream stuff. (Probably cpu as well since they both will fight for bandwidth, and thus will both benefit I guess). So there should be a nice difference in performance going from the mainstream 1333mhz stuff to the high-end 1866 stuff. Overclocking the northbridge will decrease mc latency which gfx like as well. I will probably buy a Llano setup just to test out how much the cpu/gfx is starved for memory bandwith when both are at their max...

Gigantopithecus

Diamond Member
Dec 14, 2004
I think AMD's making some positive strides. Used to be that AMD powered notebooks had terrible battery life, yet look how well Zacate does in performance and battery life compared to Atom and even Atom/ION. I know it is fun to speculate, but the real pudding is in the upcoming reviews. Time for AMD to put up or shut up. :biggrin:

I have high hopes of a thin/light notebook with reasonable gaming performance for cheap.

Please?

I can play Left 4 Dead and Left 4 Dead 2 at 1333x768 on my X120e at ~30fps. Llano will easily yield 'reasonable gaming performance.' Dunno bout the cheap part though, yet.

Abwx

Lifer
Apr 2, 2011
Some early numbers...;)

Sandybridge-vs-AMD-LIano-3dmark-vantage.gif

Sandybridge-vs-AMD-LIano-PCMark-Vantage.gif

http://en.ocworkbench.com/tech/comp...preview-of-amd-liano-vs-intel-sandy-bridge/2/

bart1975

Apr 12, 2011
The A8-3550 looks like it could be really good depending on the clock speeds it ends up with.

Borealis7

Platinum Member
Oct 19, 2006
there could be Lucid Virtu chips in some M/Bs that will allow the same effect as hybrid crossfire.

i think MSI is planning on making those. they've been announcing several boards with Lucid chips in them.

Dribble

Platinum Member
Aug 9, 2005

This looks like llano's strong point. The big problem however is that unlike their atom competitor the cpu is significantly slower so:
1) if you don't care about graphics you buy intel because the cpu is faster.
2) if you really care about graphics (e.g. a gamer) you buy a discrete graphics card and intel because the cpu is faster.
3) if you kind-of care about graphics but not enough to get a much faster discrete card, yet don't really care about cpu performance you buy llano.

The question is who is person 3? Perhaps a budget notebook gamer?

Arzachel

Apr 7, 2011
This looks like llano's strong point. The big problem however is that unlike their atom competitor the cpu is significantly slower so:
2) if you really care about graphics (e.g. a gamer) you buy a discrete graphics card and intel because the cpu is faster.
3) if you kind-of care about graphics but not enough to get a much faster discrete card, yet don't really care about cpu performance you buy llano.

Not quite:
1)If you don't care about graphics then its quite possible that you don't care much about the cpu performance either and will get something that has all-round decent performance for cheap. I'd say that there are much less people bottlenecked by their CPU's than by their GPU's.

2)If you want to get a notebook that you can actually play some recent games on without turning the graphics all the way down or paying a small fortune, hybrid crossfire might be quite the hook.

3)See 1.

Gigantopithecus

Diamond Member
Dec 14, 2004

I think you're missing the very relevant consideration that it's not particularly wise to buy more CPU power than you need. Rather than buying what's fastest, it's a better idea to buy what's most appropriate. Is an i7-2600K going to let you play Farmville better than a dual core Llano? CPU performance started exceeding the demands of a typical user years ago, and today's high-end CPUs are totally ridiculously absurdly overkill for the majority of the desktop and laptop markets.

jimbo75

Mar 29, 2011
Most of us are sitting with hardware we don't need and hardly ever stretch, unless we are gaming.

Phynaz

Lifer
Mar 13, 2006
Not quite:
1)If you don't care about graphics then its quite possible that you don't care much about the cpu performance either and will get something that has all-round decent performance for cheap. I'd say that there are much less people bottlenecked by their CPU's than by their GPU's.

When you say "people", do you mean the general population? Or are you speaking about enthusiasts and gamers? Because I can guarantee that the vast majority of business users are not GPU bottle-necked.

sm625

Diamond Member
May 6, 2011
Forget hybrid crossfire. What about dual socket llano crossfire? If these chips get cheap enough we can even start thinking about quad socket llano.

Arzachel

Apr 7, 2011
When you say "people", do you mean the general population? Or are you speaking about enthusiasts and gamers? Because I can guarantee that the vast majority of business users are not GPU bottle-necked.

Those that want triple monitor output are.

Phynaz

Lifer
Mar 13, 2006
I guess I didn't realize that the majority of business users wanted triple monitors. Sorry, my bad.

Arzachel

Apr 7, 2011
I guess I didn't realize that the majority of business users wanted triple monitors. Sorry, my bad.

I didn't state that. "I'd say that there are more people bottlenecked by GPU's than by CPU's" The majority of buisness users are bottlenecked by neither.