List some movies you've watched recently. Theatre, rental, TV...

Page 60 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

KeithTalent

Elite Member | Administrator | No Lifer
Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
Originally posted by: CoinOperatedBoy
Originally posted by: KeithTalent
Originally posted by: zerocool84
The Nightmare Before Christmas - 2.5/10: It looked kind of cool on Blu-ray, but good lord I can't stand musicals and there were, I believe, around 3 songs in the first 15 minutes. I shut it off shortly after that.

KT

lol I hate musicals with a passion as well but found this movie enjoyable. It's not a great movie like everyone things but I enjoy it.

I wanted to like it because I like Tim Burton, but ugh, I actually exclaimed aloud "WTF is this?!??!" as I was watching this. :(

KT

Have you watched Corpse Bride or, for that matter, Sweeney Todd?

After seeing Nightmare, I removed Corpse Bride from my queue. I never had any desire to watch Sweeney Todd after seeing clips for it. I have only liked 2 musicals in my entire life: Grease and West Side Story, everything else has been painful for me.

KT

raystorm

Diamond Member
Apr 24, 2001
[REC] : 8/10 = Pretty good spanish horror flick. You can see the ending coming a mile away but I was entertained.

Gran Torino : 8/10 = Liked it and I'm a huge Eastwood fan so maybe I'm a bit biased.

The Watchmen : 1/10 = Hated it. Stopped watching around the 1.5 hour mark (movie is like 2.5 hours). It wasn't going anywhere and just hated the characters. Nice setting though and it does look nice.

KeithTalent

Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
Saw two excellent docs last night:

The Most Dangerous Man in America: Daniel Ellsberg and the Pentagon Papers - 8.5/10: The very interesting and compelling story of Daniel Ellsberg, the man that exposed America and the world, to a lot of the behind the scenes dealing and lying that went on leading up to and during the Vietnam war, particularly interesting since Ellsberg was one of the big brains behind getting the war started and keeping it going. Very well produced (aside from 2 very odd parts that were reenacted via animation, extremely odd choice there) and mostly narrated by Ellsberg himself; I thoroughly enjoyed this.

We Live In Public - 8/10: The story of Josh Harris and his rise and fall through the dot.com bubble. A fascinating, eccentric, and even kind of crazy character that really helped start a lot of the Big Brotheresque type stuff that went on/goes on on the web. I had never heard of the QUIET project, but wow, it was very interesting and I'm surprised nobody got raped or killed. Definitely worth a watch and pretty slick production too.

KT

Possessed Freak

Diamond Member
Nov 4, 1999
Originally posted by: AstroManLuca
Star Trek IX: Insurrection - 9.5/10 - This movie gets a lot of flak for being "like a two hour TNG episode." Well, it IS like a two-hour TNG episode, in that it's really good. My favorite Star Trek movie out of all of them. I think I liked it more even than the new one. Unlike First Contact, which was more of an action movie, Insurrection has a moral premise. And I know a lot of people disagree with that premise, but I like the fact that it's not as strictly black and white as so many movies. Thing is, having Picard be the moral high ground works so much better than having him be an action hero. I think that's why I like Insurrection so much. Oh, and the first time I saw it, I thought it was just okay, but I'm older now and I appreciated it better the second time around.

9 is your favorite!? I bet you liked Phantom Menace as the best Star Wars movie... Maybe Superman IV was your favorite of that series?

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
Originally posted by: BlahBlahYouToo
Originally posted by: sdifox
Disturbia 7/10 Interesting take on the monster next door.

isn't this a rihanna song?

And that is important in this thread because? And I don't know the answer since I don't even know who Rihanna is.

AstroManLuca

Lifer
Jun 24, 2004
Originally posted by: Possessed Freak
Originally posted by: AstroManLuca
Star Trek IX: Insurrection - 9.5/10 - This movie gets a lot of flak for being "like a two hour TNG episode." Well, it IS like a two-hour TNG episode, in that it's really good. My favorite Star Trek movie out of all of them. I think I liked it more even than the new one. Unlike First Contact, which was more of an action movie, Insurrection has a moral premise. And I know a lot of people disagree with that premise, but I like the fact that it's not as strictly black and white as so many movies. Thing is, having Picard be the moral high ground works so much better than having him be an action hero. I think that's why I like Insurrection so much. Oh, and the first time I saw it, I thought it was just okay, but I'm older now and I appreciated it better the second time around.

9 is your favorite!? I bet you liked Phantom Menace as the best Star Wars movie... Maybe Superman IV was your favorite of that series?

Didn't like the Star Wars prequels, and I actually don't like Return of the Jedi either. Never saw a Superman movie.

KeithTalent

Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
Ninja Assassin - 4/10: This is the new James McTeigue film (director of V for Vendetta, which is a film I love) about, well, a ninja played by some guy named Rain, who is, apparently, a big pop star over in Asia. I think this movie was supposed to be an homage to the old ninja movies from the 80's (I used to love those and was excited to see Shô Kosugi in this) but I just could not get into this at all. The crowd watching it loved it and applauded and cheered throughout the film, but maybe that was partially because of Rain fans and the fact the director was in attendance at the screening, I don't know. There are some cool fight scenes, but the acting is absolutely terrible (aside from Shô Kosugi who is actually decent) and the plot/script is laughable. I did not expect a cinematic masterpiece, but I would have liked something to sink my teeth into aside from some bllod guts, and a bit of nostalgia.

Letters to Father Jacob (Postia pappi Jaakobille) - 7/10: A very simple, Finnish film, about a woman (Leila) that receives a pardon from prison and ends up working for a blind priest (reading/writing letters for him). This was quite well done and I enjoyed the story and the acting, my only complaint is the length of the film, it is too short. I think another 10 minutes added to the 75 minute length, to further develop the relationship between Leila and Father Jacob, would have been ideal. Otherwise, a nice little film.

KT

Perknose

Forum Director & Omnipotent Overlord
Forum Director
Oct 9, 1999
The Informant -- 6/10 -- I liked it, and Matt Damon gave a GREAT performance, but the woman I went with exited confused. Hint: It's all about Damon's character, more than anything else, which only becomes clear as you go.

The Invention of Lying -- 3.5/10 -- Weak, WAY too sentimental . . . too many punches pulled. Very disappointing! The premise has great potential, and I expected far better.

Koing

Elite Member <br> Super Moderator<br> Health and F
Oct 11, 2000
Crank II : Blu Ray
8/10 really liked it. Very good man. It was just savagely OTT but very enjoyable to watch!

I found Amy Smart F0CKING hot in also :thumbsup:

Koing

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
The Nightmare Before Christmas - 2.5/10: It looked kind of cool on Blu-ray, but good lord I can't stand musicals and there were, I believe, around 3 songs in the first 15 minutes. I shut it off shortly after that.

KT

lol I hate musicals with a passion as well but found this movie enjoyable. It's not a great movie like everyone things but I enjoy it.

I wanted to like it because I like Tim Burton, but ugh, I actually exclaimed aloud "WTF is this?!??!" as I was watching this. :(

KT

I turned off Sweeny Todd within 5min.

It's a musical? taking it off my queue too.

zerocool84

Lifer
Nov 11, 2004
Originally posted by: pontifex

KT

KT

I turned off Sweeny Todd within 5min.

It's a musical? taking it off my queue too.

Yea I didn't like it.

zerocool84

Lifer
Nov 11, 2004
Into the Wild 8/10

WOW!!!! I was surprised by this movie. Knew nothing about it and say it's directed by Sean Penn. The acting wasn't great but the premise and story was good. I really enjoyed it and almost teared up at one point and I never tear up.

dbk

Lifer
Apr 23, 2004
Into the Wild 8/10

WOW!!!! I was surprised by this movie. Knew nothing about it and say it's directed by Sean Penn. The acting wasn't great but the premise and story was good. I really enjoyed it and almost teared up at one point and I never tear up.

I need to see this.

KeithTalent

Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
Originally posted by: dbk
Into the Wild 8/10

I need to see this.

Yes, very good movie. I dislike Emile Hirsch quite a bit, but the movie is still very good, even with him in it.

KT

AstroManLuca

Lifer
Jun 24, 2004
Sunshine. 6.67/10. Just saw it. I am a huge astronomy and space travel nut and the first half or so of this movie left me awestruck. Finally, a realistic sci-fi movie that isn't just "zombies in space." Oh wait.

Anyway, 10/10 for the first two thirds of the movie, 0/10 for the last third.

KeithTalent

Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade - 7.5/10: Not bad. Fun movie and I really liked having Sean Connery in it, but it is still nowhere near as good as the first movie. I thought some of the grail stuff was a bit dumb, particularly the knight that had been in the cave for 700 years, but I still enjoyed it overall. So I have the series ranked: 1>>>3>>>>>>>>2>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>4.

Queen to Play (Joueuse) - 5.5/10: A French movie about a bored wife/mother, that falls in love with the game of chess and ends up really changing her life because of it, with the help of a surly, widowed doctor, played by Kevin Kline (my favourite part of the movie). I feel as if this story has been told many times before and with much more style; there were some odd moments here that really seemed out of place and took me out of the film. Not bad, but not great.

KT

imported_Imp

Diamond Member
Dec 20, 2005
Where the Wild Things Are - ?/10 - I'm still going "wtf just happened" concerning what I saw. It's not remotely bad, it was just hard to understand what the movie was about. There's definately a deeper meaning to everything. However, it'll probably take me a few more viewings to get it. Kind of what happened with Magnolia.

I remember going through the book as a kid, but don't really remember what it was about, so had to do some googling after the movie. Oh, it was my first ever IMAX movie too (didn't feel like waiting 2 hours for next regular showing).

SP33Demon

Lifer
Jun 22, 2001
Paranormal Activity: 6/10. Could have been so much more, it was really disappointing. For example, they could have made the scene where she left the bedroom so much better instead of her sitting on a swing outside. Dumb.

KeithTalent

Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
KT, you really watch a lot of movies.

Well the film festival was on, so I caught a lot of extra films over the past couple of weeks. It also helps having a girlfriend that enjoys movies from all genres; a very nice change.

KT

KeithTalent

Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
Good Night, and Good Luck. - 8/10: David Strathairn is absolutely awesome as Edward R. Murrow and is what makes this film so great; he really just takes over the screen whenever he is on. The supporting actors are very good as well (I love Frank Langella) and the overall story of Murrow essentially standing up to McCarthy. I also liked how they spliced in real news footage in with the movie (McCarthy is played by himself, very cool). Can't say I am going to rush to see this again soon, but I did enjoy it.

KT

Status
Not open for further replies.