Liberal Tolerance is a Total Fallacy

Page 15 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

HAL9000

Lifer
Oct 17, 2010
The definition does not include your added portion. I know you want to say you are dry while water is running over your legs, but your desire for something to be true does not magically make it so.

Nor does it include your absolutism, you ignored my big response.

One can be both tolerant and intolerant.

One cannot be both dry and wet.

cybrsage

Lifer
Nov 17, 2011
Nice to see you feeding the troll. Strange don't you think that a nuclear engineer cannot get, "I am tolerant of everything but intolerance."

You jus said "If someone is intolerant that does not mean they are intolerant".

I know those here are only saying this so that they can feel good about themselves while they denigrate others - but I am sure that deep down you realize it is silly.

cybrsage

Lifer
Nov 17, 2011
Nor does it include your absolutism, you ignored my big response.

One can be both tolerant and intolerant.

One cannot be both dry and wet.

If your hands are not wet, are they dry? Yes. If your legs are wet, are they dry? No. If your hands are dry and your legs are wet, are YOU wet or dry?

You are wet.

If you are tolerant of something things and intolerant of others, are YOU intolerant or tolerant?

You are intolerant. Just like the wet and dry example.

WHAMPOM

Diamond Member
Feb 28, 2006
1. No thread-crapping, thread-derailment, off-topic posting, trolling, the intentional posting of logical fallacies or misinformation.

How do you keep getting away with violating this rule?

Posters' ignorance of the little red triangle? Or peoples tolerance in answering a five year old's questions?

HAL9000

Lifer
Oct 17, 2010
If your hands are not wet, are they dry? Yes. If your legs are wet, are they dry? No. If your hands are dry and your legs are wet, are YOU wet or dry?

You are wet.

If you are tolerant of something things and intolerant of others, are YOU intolerant or tolerant?

You are intolerant. Just like the wet and dry example.

Please stop talking in binary, we are talking about two different things, tolerance and intolerance, you can be tolerant of some things and intolerant of others, if you want to play wet and dry then I can be wet in a swimming pool and dry in my bed. See.

I'm wet in swimming pools and dry at night in my bed, I'm tolerant of reasonable views and intolerant of unreasonable views.

"If you are tolerant of something things and intolerant of others, are YOU intolerant or tolerant?"

You are both.

If it works out that on average you are more tolerant than intolerant then you are a tolerant person. If it works out that on average you are more intolerant peron then you are an intolerant person.

WHAMPOM

Diamond Member
Feb 28, 2006
You jus said "If someone is intolerant that does not mean they are intolerant".

I know those here are only saying this so that they can feel good about themselves while they denigrate others - but I am sure that deep down you realize it is silly.

Sorry you're butt hurt.

cybrsage

Lifer
Nov 17, 2011
If it works out that on average you are more tolerant than intolerant then you are a tolerant person. If it works out that on average you are more intolerant peron then you are an intolerant person.

If you are not holding a fair, objective, and permissive attitude toward those whose opinions, practices, race, religion, nationality, etc., differ from your own then you are not tolerant.

People like to say they are tolerant, when they really are not. It makes them feel good.

HAL9000

Lifer
Oct 17, 2010
You are tolerant to beliefs you find are reasonable. As is everyone.

True, but what we as society define as an unreasonable person is someone who is (based on the perspective of others) unjustly unreasonably intolerant.

HAL9000

Lifer
Oct 17, 2010
If you are not holding a fair, objective, and permissive attitude toward those whose opinions, practices, race, religion, nationality, etc., differ from your own then you are not tolerant.

People like to say they are tolerant, when they really are not. It makes them feel good.

You've said that fourteen times, and I've replied to it before Some people are tolerant, some people are not, I am on the whole tolerant.

cybrsage

Lifer
Nov 17, 2011
1. No thread-crapping, thread-derailment, off-topic posting, trolling, the intentional posting of logical fallacies or misinformation.

How do you keep getting away with violating this rule?

The tread title is Liberal Tolerance is a Total Fallacy

I am discussing the meaning of the word tolerance using the dictionary.com definition of the word. I realize it bothers you that you are wrong, but at least admit to it.

cybrsage

Lifer
Nov 17, 2011
You've said that fourteen times, and I've replied to it before Some people are tolerant, some people are not, I am on the whole tolerant.

The definition of tolerant does not include allowance for being intolerant.

dank69

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
The tread title is Liberal Tolerance is a Total Fallacy

I am discussing the meaning of the word tolerance using the dictionary.com definition of the word. I realize it bothers you that you are wrong, but at least admit to it.
No, you are not. You are discussing the word 'tolerance' while using the dictionary.com definition of the word 'intolerance.' As I pointed out to you already, the word 'tolerance' can be used as an antonym for the word 'intolerance' but also has other meanings. You are ignoring the fact that the word 'tolerance' has several meanings, some of which have nothing to do with intolerance.

HAL9000

Lifer
Oct 17, 2010

THE definition does actually.

Here's the Oxford English Dictionary definition of Tolerance

"Disposed or inclined to tolerate or bear with something; practising or favouring toleration."

"Favouring toleration"

Which I do, thus making me tolerant. Boom.

nehalem256

Lifer
Apr 13, 2012
True, but what we as society define as an unreasonable person is someone who is (based on the perspective of others) unjustly unreasonably intolerant.

I think you could make a case for not needing to be tolerant of completely extreme beliefs to consider yourself tolerant.

But when Liberals say that people who are opposed redefining marriage(a view held by at least 40% of Americans) are homophobes and bigots, liberals cannot call themselves tolerant.

dank69

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
Oh, so you also don't know what the word 'inclined' means in the definition of the word 'tolerant.' You should have done your homework.

dank69

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
I think you could make a case for not needing to be tolerant of completely extreme beliefs to consider yourself tolerant.

But when Liberals say that people who are opposed redefining marriage(a view held by at least 40% of Americans) are homophobes and bigots, liberals cannot call themselves tolerant.
Yes, actually, they can.

HAL9000

Lifer
Oct 17, 2010

Absolutely you can.

Not being from America I don't need to concern myself with such things, if need be I'll happily call 40% of Americans intolerant.

Get a statistic for the planet and then were talking.