Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild (Wii U/Nintendo Switch)

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
Yes, they've thrown the towel in regarding the "hartdcore" kill'em'all demographic. So what?
It's still a viable 2nd ecosystem for PC gamers, or young families. I can't wait till I have a child to be able to justify buying a nintendo :)

There is so much wrong with this I don't know where to even begin. It's baffling to me how many people are out of touch. The idea that good graphics equates to people who just want shooters and such is false. There are hundreds of games that would be worse games and have a lower quality world if they weren't running on an engine that allows for good graphics and they aren't just violent games. Also if you have to justify buying a system because you have a kid, that system has failed. If you are a gamer it should be able to sell you on its merits. You just proved our point too, Nintendo isn't really trying to compete for sales among today's gamers.

Last edited:
Reactions: RussianSensation

Lil Frier

Platinum Member
Oct 3, 2013
Yes, they've thrown the towel in regarding the "hartdcore" kill'em'all demographic. So what?
It's still a viable 2nd ecosystem for PC gamers, or young families. I can't wait till I have a child to be able to justify buying a nintendo :)

This is the crappy, half-assed response I hate as well. Really, they gave up only in the stupidly quoted joke scenario you mentioned?

How about the terrible state of Wii U's gaming network? I can't talk to people while I play, or really communicate AT ALL. In many cases with games, I can't play online AT ALL. How about the complete butchering of Mario Party, taking away the core mechanics (chasing stars and playing a true board game yourself)? Let's not forget failing to release a home console Fire Emblem, Zelda, or Metroid game on the Wii U to write home about (though the last 2 franchises don't interest me). They didn't do Mario Golf at all, and Mario Tennis was such a joke that maybe they should have just skipped it. Splatoon was ruined by their crappy network system (and the controllers, some). Pokken Tournament was a great idea that lost my interest with such a barren roster.

Nintendo threw in the towel regarding everything but platformers this past generation, it seemed. I guess Kart and Smash were good, but I can't say either blew me away, when speaking to their predecessors. They were needed and good, but not enough to make me not regret holding onto my Wii U for as long as I have. I can't remember the last time it was played for more than an hour, maybe at the launch of Woolly World?

MarkizSchnitzel

Nov 10, 2013
The idea that good graphics equates to people who just want shooters and such is false.

But on average it is. All the photo realistic games are shooters, RPG and sports maybe.
There are no photorealistic platformers or karting games, which is what Nintendo does a lot..
Civ games never had any especially good (read: realistic) graphics.
Graphica do not make a game.

Problem is: obviously GPU power would almost certainly be better almost always. But GPU power costs money. If you can get PS4 for 300€ and have almost a guarantee for access to all the AAA games, and on the other hand you have a 400€ Nintendo which will maybe eventually get some of those.. Which would you choose? Nintendo would loose 9/10.

Also if you have to justify buying a system because you have a kid, that system has failed. If you are a gamer it should be able to sell you on its merits. You just proved our point too, Nintendo isn't really trying to compete for sales among today's gamers.

Well I am not a gamer. I only like Civ IV, DoW and Nintendo IP.

This is the crappy, half-assed response I hate as well. Really, they gave up only in the stupidly quoted joke scenario you mentioned?

I was only actually thinking in regards of the pure GPU power. I have no idea what is the state of online play, last console I owned was N64..

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
What does good graphics have to do with photo realistic graphics? Mortal Komat had photo realistic graphics back in the early 90's nearly 25 years ago.

Reactions: cmdrdredd

zerocool84

Lifer
Nov 11, 2004
But on average it is. All the photo realistic games are shooters, RPG and sports maybe.
There are no photorealistic platformers or karting games, which is what Nintendo does a lot..
Civ games never had any especially good (read: realistic) graphics.
Graphica do not make a game.

Problem is: obviously GPU power would almost certainly be better almost always. But GPU power costs money. If you can get PS4 for 300€ and have almost a guarantee for access to all the AAA games, and on the other hand you have a 400€ Nintendo which will maybe eventually get some of those.. Which would you choose? Nintendo would loose 9/10.

Well I am not a gamer. I only like Civ IV, DoW and Nintendo IP.

I was only actually thinking in regards of the pure GPU power. I have no idea what is the state of online play, last console I owned was N64..
Uncharted 4 is a damn good looking platformer and its an awesome game so other people do make platformers.

MarkizSchnitzel

Nov 10, 2013
Uncharted 4 is a damn good looking platformer and its an awesome game so other people do make platformers.

But how much of it's awesomeness comes just form graphics? If it was slightly uglier, it would not be good?

What does good graphics have to do with photo realistic graphics? Mortal Kombat had photo realistic graphics back in the early 90's nearly 25 years ago.

So what else do you consider good graphics? More polygons = more lifelike = photorealistic, for me. Personally, I do not really care in seeing every hair in Marios mustache.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
But how much of it's awesomeness comes just form graphics? If it was slightly uglier, it would not be good?

So what else do you consider good graphics? More polygons = more lifelike = photorealistic, for me. Personally, I do not really care in seeing every hair in Marios mustache.
Textures, lighting, shadows, draw distance, art style, animations. All of those go into what are "good graphics".

Imagine if Mario graphics looked like Finding Dory. That would be incredible.

(and yes I realize we're like decades away from that, but just for reference of what good graphics that aren't photo realistic can look like)

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
Textures, lighting, shadows, draw distance, art style, animations. All of those go into what are "good graphics".

(and yes I realize we're like decades away from that, but just for reference of what good graphics that aren't photo realistic can look like)

Also running ratchet and clank with checkboard rendering in hdr. Another great example. The better a game looks (not necessarily looking like real life), the easier to be immersed in the world the developers create.

Take it the other way and I do feel a game would be worse if it looked like an NES game. You just wouldn't get the same immersion factor, the same facial expressions on characters for the story etc. I don't think a game has ever been made worse because the graphics are top notch. It doesn't always make the game good but it doesn't have a negative impact IMO.

Red Hawk

Diamond Member
Jan 1, 2011
So rumor has it that the game has stopped development/been canceled for the Wii U, because Nintendo just can't get it running as well as they want.

This video basically covers the same reasons that I think canceling the game on Wii U is a bad idea. I get that it may run like a dog on Wii U, but either way, canceling it would pretty much be a slap in the face to Wii U owners who bought the console based on the fact that they'd get to play Zelda on it.

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
So rumor has it that the game has stopped development/been canceled for the Wii U, because Nintendo just can't get it running as well as they want.

This video basically covers the same reasons that I think canceling the game on Wii U is a bad idea. I get that it may run like a dog on Wii U, but either way, canceling it would pretty much be a slap in the face to Wii U owners who bought the console based on the fact that they'd get to play Zelda on it.

I say cut your losses and go all in on a new platform. This just solidifies in my mind that Nintendo is completely incompetent as a developer.

Red Hawk

Diamond Member
Jan 1, 2011
I say cut your losses and go all in on a new platform. This just solidifies in my mind that Nintendo is completely incompetent as a developer.

Because fuck the people who bought a Wii U for Breath of the Wild, right?

Red Hawk

Diamond Member
Jan 1, 2011
Yet it hasn't even been released, why people buy something for something else that hasn't been released is dumb.
To an extent, consumers are entitled to be dumb, especially when Nintendo was encouraging their investment. Why do you think Nintendo started teasing the game years ago? For the heck of it? It's because it was an additional reason for people to buy a Wii U, and it appeal most to the hardcore Zelda fans. It's just not a good idea to leave those hardcore fans who made that investment feeling burned.

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
It's good for their business model if they want to drop the WiiU and focus on the switch. I expect eventually the 3DS may even be dropped in favor of the switch and its successors. The WiiU didn't even sell well by any stretch. They projected to sell 100million units worldwide and only made it to 13 or so. It's their fault anyhow but I know they want to move away from it now.

Lil Frier

Platinum Member
Oct 3, 2013
Buying a console for unannounced games is a fools game.

In general, I agree. However, it's a LITTLE different here, as Nintendo has been running on half-assed everything for a while. Doing this will definitely help long-term, but it might also totally chase some fans off the Switch entirely. I mean, if I cared about Zelda as a franchise, and I got my Wii U for it, my reaction wouldn't be "I'll get a Switch to play it, then." I would just go with "screw it, I'll go play a game console that actually puts content out." They failed to do a lot on the Wii U, in my book--Metroid, Mario Golf, Pokémon, Fire Emblem, Animal Crossing, and I'm probably forgetting others. Adding Zelda to that, after repeated promises they would, might permanently piss some buyers off.

After skipping the Wii, but getting the Wii U, I know I'm very hesitant to consider the Switch. Nintendo did SUCH a bad job on this console that I don't know if I trust that they'll do networked gaming right or put out enough content. Heck, with rumors that the Switch isn't even as powerful as the 3-year-old consoles we have now, it sounds like they're again shunning any hope of real support from third-party devs (When the best you can offer is NBA and Skyrim, that's pretty sad). So, after Nintendo just spent 4+ years fumbling about on their own, not releasing enough games to keep people happy, seeing them continue that strategy is almost laughable, if it weren't so sad to see.

I'd like to be wrong, but it's hard to see how the Switch is doing enough to prove that they learned from the Wii U's failure. They seem to still bother with two different consoles, motion controls that never were very good, and keeping third-party support out, almost by force. I hope they at least get online gaming working, because their biggest failure is probably that they still expect gamers to go to each other's houses to play. That's not what the core market does.

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
I don't disagree but the wiiU isn't selling so there is little benefit for them to continue attempting to support it. They are 100% at fault for the poor sales performance though. I don't give them a pass there at all.

MarkizSchnitzel

Nov 10, 2013

Also running ratchet and clank with checkboard rendering in hdr. Another great example. The better a game looks (not necessarily looking like real life), the easier to be immersed in the world the developers create.

Ok, that does make sense.

Still, I hope they did some market study and concluded that this is the best way for them. A compromise.

But me being a cheap bastard, getting the switch for ~200€ on a sale or something, or a 250€ bundle it as hjigh as I will ever be willing to go for a console. So low res mario is better than no res mario. For me.

Tweak155

Lifer
Sep 23, 2003
I'm not a fan of having to get a new system to play Zelda, but I'm warming up to the idea. I saw a clip of it on Jimmy Fallon's show and I definitely want to play it. I didn't use my Wii U a whole ton, but the games I did play were pretty good.

nurturedhate

Golden Member
Aug 27, 2011
I'll be buying a switch on day 1 if there's a zelda or mario game available which there will be. Really looking forward to Breath of the Wild. Was really disappointed with skyward sword though that is 100% due to the motion controls, they are just not for me.

This statement is so completely right beyond anything in this thread. I've owned a Wii U since it's launch. My now 9yr old son plays it more than the 360 or even the ps4 pro we recently purchased. The only thing that comes close to play time is his 3ds with his computer being a far 3rd. I have a hard time finding games on ps or xbox that he would enjoy. Been looking for more ps4 games that he would enjoy, right now its Ratchet & Clank and Dragon Quest Builders. Nintendo consoles make fantastic 2nd devices to pair with a pc or a primary console for children and there is nothing wrong with that.

Sonikku

Lifer
Jun 23, 2005
It's for the best that I never have children. Never the less, sometimes I think about how great it would feel to have a child of ones own to share Nintendo with while going together in costume to Star Wars movies and the like. My mother was never really into either when I was that age.

Probably not worth the responsibility and the the debt, but I bet it has a lot of bright spots here and there. :)