Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild (Wii U/Nintendo Switch)

Red Hawk

Diamond Member
Jan 1, 2011
I was surprised to find there didn't seem to be a thread for this game. Breath of the Wild is the next Legend of Zelda game, feels like it's been in development forever, but the game looks like it could be worth the wait. Nintendo showed a trailer and had playable demos running this past E3, and released another trailer and more gameplay footage to coincide with the Game Awards a few days ago. It all looks beautiful, in my opinion.

It's a sort of post-apocalyptic setup, where 100 years ago, Ganon devastated Hyrule and destroyed its civilization. Link seems to have been asleep for those 100 years, and has woken up now to face Ganon. It's the most open-world Zelda has ever been. It all looks great, and I couldn't be more excited. It's coming out for both the Wii U and the Nintendo Switch. I already have a Wii U, but if the game runs better on a Switch I won't hesitate to by a Switch just so I can get the best experience. Anyone else excited for this game?

Tweak155

Lifer
Sep 23, 2003
I will be pre-ordering for sure... just have to decide to get it for my already owned Wii U or buy into the Switch. Right now I'm thinking Wii U.

I pre-ordered the collector's edition of Skyward Sword and that game was a big let down overall, but I still played it all the way through and beat it so not the worst money spent. This one looks more promising.

I don't like the art direction, but outside of that it looks like a good game.

Red Hawk

Diamond Member
Jan 1, 2011
I will be pre-ordering for sure... just have to decide to get it for my already owned Wii U or buy into the Switch. Right now I'm thinking Wii U.

I pre-ordered the collector's edition of Skyward Sword and that game was a big let down overall, but I still played it all the way through and beat it so not the worst money spent. This one looks more promising.

I don't like the art direction, but outside of that it looks like a good game.

Skyward Sword received a bunch of criticism for being too restrictive, with a very closed kind of world. Breath of the Wild seems to be going in the opposite direction -- and they seem to be dropping the sometimes-annoying "guide character" that's been in the games since Ocarina of Time. So it could definitely be an improvement over SS.

I personally love the art direction -- that combined with the piano-driven soundtracks to the trailers thus far makes it all feel very Miyazaki-esque to me.

Tweak155

Lifer
Sep 23, 2003
Skyward Sword received a bunch of criticism for being too restrictive, with a very closed kind of world. Breath of the Wild seems to be going in the opposite direction -- and they seem to be dropping the sometimes-annoying "guide character" that's been in the games since Ocarina of Time. So it could definitely be an improvement over SS.

I personally love the art direction -- that combined with the piano-driven soundtracks to the trailers thus far makes it all feel very Miyazaki-esque to me.
I didn't like how overly forced the controls were (although the detection was a big step up from Twilight Princess) and the flying just did not suit a Zelda game IMO.

I loved Twilight Princess outside of the controls. This new game should at least do away with a lot of that garbage.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
LOL it's TP all over again. The first game on their new console will be a port. Way to go Nintendo, you've done it again.

Red Hawk

Diamond Member
Jan 1, 2011
LOL it's TP all over again. The first game on their new console will be a port. Way to go Nintendo, you've done it again.

Seeing how TP was a pretty big success on the Wii, it makes sense. They took so long to get a new Zelda game on the Wii U, and the next one probably won't be for many years. Why not start out the Switch with a new Zelda game?

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
Seeing how TP was a pretty big success on the Wii, it makes sense. They took so long to get a new Zelda game on the Wii U, and the next one probably won't be for many years. Why not start out the Switch with a new Zelda game?

I don't think you understood or at least to me it seems like you missed what he was saying. Twilight Princess was a Gamecube title that was ported to the Wii for the launch. It wasn't a title developed for the wii from the ground up so it only used the capabilities of the Wii in a minimalist way with very wonky motion controls IMO. Likewise this title is going to likely be a port from the WiiU to the Switch instead of a Switch developed title from the ground up. One of the main titles that should be available at or very near the launch of the Switch is not using the maximum capabilities of the new system. It will be hampered by the capabilities of the WiiU. That may be fine for some people and I'm not suggesting it will be a bad game, but Nintendo would have been better off IMO dropping it for the WiiU entirely and focusing on making it a standout system selling title that uses the maximum capabilities of the new console/device. I'm not entirely sold on the art style, not being much a fan of cel shaded games. I'd rather have a more realistic and gritty looking title personally. If I get a switch this will be on my short list but Nintendo lost my business long ago and it will take more than Zelda to sell me on a Switch. Maybe if it supports 3DS titles and I can play some of the RPGs on it or something like that.

My biggest problem with Skyward Sword was fighting the controller to slash the correct way. Unless you were very deliberate it would often do it the incorrect direction and result in a block and you getting damaged, not to mention frustrated. It was very clunky to play the game that way rather than the traditional buttons. Not having the option was a mistake and requiring people to have a new controller because the original design wasn't precise enough for the game just added to the cost.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
@cmdrdredd pretty much summed up why I said that.

If I buy a Switch, I want to play Switch games not Wii-U games. Same reason I am against all of these HD remasters/remakes this gen. I bought a PS4/X1 to play game for PS4/X1, not games for PS2 or PS3 or Xbox or Xbox 360.

Red Hawk

Diamond Member
Jan 1, 2011
I don't think you understood or at least to me it seems like you missed what he was saying. Twilight Princess was a Gamecube title that was ported to the Wii for the launch. It wasn't a title developed for the wii from the ground up so it only used the capabilities of the Wii in a minimalist way with very wonky motion controls IMO. Likewise this title is going to likely be a port from the WiiU to the Switch instead of a Switch developed title from the ground up. One of the main titles that should be available at or very near the launch of the Switch is not using the maximum capabilities of the new system. It will be hampered by the capabilities of the WiiU. That may be fine for some people and I'm not suggesting it will be a bad game, but Nintendo would have been better off IMO dropping it for the WiiU entirely and focusing on making it a standout system selling title that uses the maximum capabilities of the new console/device. I'm not entirely sold on the art style, not being much a fan of cel shaded games. I'd rather have a more realistic and gritty looking title personally. If I get a switch this will be on my short list but Nintendo lost my business long ago and it will take more than Zelda to sell me on a Switch. Maybe if it supports 3DS titles and I can play some of the RPGs on it or something like that.

My biggest problem with Skyward Sword was fighting the controller to slash the correct way. Unless you were very deliberate it would often do it the incorrect direction and result in a block and you getting damaged, not to mention frustrated. It was very clunky to play the game that way rather than the traditional buttons. Not having the option was a mistake and requiring people to have a new controller because the original design wasn't precise enough for the game just added to the cost.

If they dropped it for the Wii U entirely, that would leave all the fans who bought a Wii U for the promise of a new Zelda and who aren't ready to buy a Switch yet feeling burned. I mean, they probably already feel frustrated with how long this took. Further pissing off fans who already bought your product is not a good move.

Being cross-platform for the Wii U and Switch may effect development, but from what I've seen so far the game looks like it will be great on the Switch and the Wii U. The Switch so far doesn't have any control gimmicks that they're trying to sell the console on, so tacking on a new control scheme is unlikely.

I'm just big enough of a Zelda fan that the game is enough to sell me on a Switch. And with how good the game has looked in trailers and gameplay demos, I think that will be the case for many people.

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
If they dropped it for the Wii U entirely, that would leave all the fans who bought a Wii U for the promise of a new Zelda and who aren't ready to buy a Switch yet feeling burned. I mean, they probably already feel frustrated with how long this took. Further pissing off fans who already bought your product is not a good move.

Being cross-platform for the Wii U and Switch may effect development, but from what I've seen so far the game looks like it will be great on the Switch and the Wii U. The Switch so far doesn't have any control gimmicks that they're trying to sell the console on, so tacking on a new control scheme is unlikely.

I'm just big enough of a Zelda fan that the game is enough to sell me on a Switch. And with how good the game has looked in trailers and gameplay demos, I think that will be the case for many people.

Well I mean with almost no actual support at all for the couple years it has been out and now a new system to replace it...don't you feel burned already? Lol

It's time to cut your losses and go all in with a new platform.

ImpulsE69

Lifer
Jan 8, 2010
Nah...I'm in the same boat. No way I'm getting a Switch until I see some proof it isn't going to sit idle. I'll just grab Zelda on Wii U....maybe. I'm still pretty miffed about Mario Maker.

WhiteNoise

Golden Member
Jun 22, 2016
This game I will buy for the Wii U. I will then 'borrow' the wii U from my kid's bedroom or camp in her room to play. I can hear it now, "MOM!!! Dad won't stop playing Zelda in my room!!! It's MY room! MOOOOM!!"

lol ahhh fatherhood...

Reactions: poofyhairguy

zerocool84

Lifer
Nov 11, 2004
I'm a huge Zelda fan so I will definitely be getting the Switch but I just don't think the Switch is awesome. They are limiting the capabilities of the system for limited mobility.

ImpulsE69

Lifer
Jan 8, 2010
I'm a huge Zelda fan so I will definitely be getting the Switch but I just don't think the Switch is awesome. They are limiting the capabilities of the system for limited mobility.

Eh, it's been proven time and again, power doesn't mean crap if the game is good. The 'oh look at the pretty' crowd can go play something else.

Reactions: Red Hawk

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
Eh, it's been proven time and again, power doesn't mean crap if the game is good. The 'oh look at the pretty' crowd can go play something else.

It's true the switch is weaker than it should be. Why is that such a sore point for you? Lol

Nobody in the history of gaming has said "I wish this was a weaker system so the graphics were worse".

ImpulsE69

Lifer
Jan 8, 2010
It's true the switch is weaker than it should be. Why is that such a sore point for you? Lol

Nobody in the history of gaming has said "I wish this was a weaker system so the graphics were worse".

because the ps4 and xbox one prove that power doesn't mean crap. The first word out of everyones mouth is "omg it's so underpowered", repeat for..what..the last 4 generations? Yet they don't understand that same concept by the PC gaming community. It's just...well pretty naive. Pretty graphics don't make make or break games. Let's be realistic *power* is equated to graphics prettiness and nothing more.

Last edited:

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
because the ps4 and xbox one prove that power doesn't mean crap. The first word out of everyones mouth is "omg it's so underpowered", repeat for..what..the last 4 generations? Yet they don't understand that same concept by the PC gaming community. It's just...well pretty naive. Pretty graphics don't make make or break games. Let's be realistic *power* is equated to graphics prettiness and nothing more.

I think you are missing the entire point. We want Nintendo to be competitive and they aren't trying. That's why we keep saying that.

Lil Frier

Platinum Member
Oct 3, 2013

No, that's not what it is. When your frame rate is unstable or draw distances are crap or the A.I. gets gutted (think the removal of Nemesis in Shadow of Mordor for the 360/PS3, vs. XB1/PS4) or the game is flat-out unable to be released on the console, it's a problem.

Neverwinter is something of a decent WoW alternative on consoles. However, it runs like complete and utter trash, in part because of the console hardware, so I won't play it anymore. The game didn't look remotely good, either, but it was fun. Nintendo's games are fine, but they're also limited, and the third-party options are even worse because so many just can't play on there.

Oh, and of course there's the issue that in 2016, Nintendo's network gaming is worse than launch Xbox LIVE.

MarkizSchnitzel

Nov 10, 2013
I think you are missing the entire point. We want Nintendo to be competitive and they aren't trying. That's why we keep saying that.

I think it's pretty obvious they they simply can not be competitive, in the mainstream FSO and kille'em'all market.

HOOfan 1

Platinum Member
Sep 2, 2007
I've read that Twilight Princess was nearly impossible to find for Game Cube....but that is typical Nintendo anyway.

Nintendo is it's own worst enemy.

Red Hawk

Diamond Member
Jan 1, 2011
There's another thread for discussing the Switch, people.

I've read that Twilight Princess was nearly impossible to find for Game Cube....but that is typical Nintendo anyway.

Nintendo is it's own worst enemy.

I didn't have any trouble getting Twilight Princess for Gamecube back in the day.

MarkizSchnitzel

Nov 10, 2013
Which is exactly what bothers people - they've thrown the towel in.

Yes, they've thrown the towel in regarding the "hartdcore" kill'em'all demographic. So what?
It's still a viable 2nd ecosystem for PC gamers, or young families. I can't wait till I have a child to be able to justify buying a nintendo :)

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
Yes, they've thrown the towel in regarding the "hartdcore" kill'em'all demographic. So what?
It's still a viable 2nd ecosystem for PC gamers, or young families. I can't wait till I have a child to be able to justify buying a nintendo :)
So good graphics and hardware = "hardcore kill'em' all" demographic?

I'll agree to disagree.