League of Legends - F2P MOBA (like DOTA) part 2

Page 120 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

HumblePie

Lifer
Oct 30, 2000
Speaking of losing streaks. Been out to master Trynd. Jungle Trynd is nice, but he is SOOO weak until level 4. His sustain is his Q, but his damage is his Q. So if you use Q to heal, which is fairly weak at low levels, then you lose out on the damage needed to clear jungle.

But everytime I start doing well with him, I get a massive troll on my team. Several games I go 3/0/0 at first and then I get this troll that pisses me off to no end. So I'm like screw it I'm going to play like I want since some asshat is sitting on the summoner pad or afk 3 minutes into the game. I end up43/11 or something stupid cause of it.

The few times I don't get a troll I steam roll with trynd. I prefer laning him though since I like having cleanse on him best. The amount of focus I get while playing Trynd is crazy. But what sucks is having team mates who don't know how to play with a Trynd. For example I call out while I'm top that I hit level 6. I tell the jungle it's a free kill top if he comes. The few times they come, they never follow me into the tower. I go in to tower dive, use ult to take the hits, but can't finish it because the jungler never came. I get seriously pissed at that because the other person is literally 1 hit from death every time if I don't get the kill solo. That's the kind of crap. I lead in with an initiate using my ult and get no follow through from my team. Feels like I'm playing xin again with crappy teams. Bleh oh well.

Oct 25, 2006
If you want help with working Riven I can offer help. I don't lose usually when I play her top.

I just need practice. I've been trying out a guide on Solo mid, and I've been experimenting. One thing I've been kinda iffy on is a Brutalizer. Its a fucking amazing item and I think it gives you a ton of early game awesome, but it does slow down my bloodthirster farm. I tried a game without it, and the lengthened cooldowns made me rage because I was used to that split second less cooldown. Getting a 300 health shield every 3 seconds is amazing.

Maleficus

Diamond Member
May 2, 2001
Fiora seems to suck compared to other carries, am i doing it wrong or is she simply a lower class hero?

redrider4life4

Jan 23, 2009
Fiora is in a tough spot, does really good dmg (but not the dmg of a carry) but has no tankiness. Honestly I never see her played because she does get rolled by a lot of top champs. I'm told her jungle is bad too, never really witnessed it though.

krnmastersgt

Platinum Member
Jan 10, 2008
Her jungle clearing speed is quite good, really weak ganks though.

The thing is most carries are typically ranged heroes, whether AP or AD. However there are a few melees classified as carries such as Yi, Tryndamere, Olaf, etc. What these melees have in common is either A: innately tanky (Tryn's ult for instance) or B: immune to CC (Yi is only immune to slows but that's enough a lot of the time).

Fiora has neither of those going for her, she just has the strongest attack speed steroid in the game. This means she can scale incredibly well with damage items however she's not naturally tanky enough to use it, therefore she has to itemize tankiness as well as damage so she ends up not putting out that much damage. She is as her name suggests an incredibly strong duelist as her kit is very strong in 1v1 engages however she has nothing really going for her in teamfights aside from her ultimate which isn't all that powerful considering it only deals damage.

Chiropteran

Diamond Member
Nov 14, 2003
Her jungle clearing speed is quite good, really weak ganks though.

The thing is most carries are typically ranged heroes, whether AP or AD. However there are a few melees classified as carries such as Yi, Tryndamere, Olaf, etc. What these melees have in common is either A: innately tanky (Tryn's ult for instance) or B: immune to CC (Yi is only immune to slows but that's enough a lot of the time).

Fiora has neither of those going for her

Hmm? Doesn't her ultimate make her basically invulnerable for the duration? I don't regularly play her, but I seem to play against her all the time and her ultimate seems VERY similar to trynds in actual end results, even if the mechanics are a bit different.

Before I fully understood her kit there were many encounters where I'd fight a Fiora, think I was winning, just to see her ultimate at 20% hp, kill or nearly kill me, and lifesteal or regen a few hundred HP during the ultimate to put her out of the danger zone.

Her ult may not last as long as undying rage, but combined with her passive and the free physical damage it deals she gains a a ton of HP just by casting it as long as she has a lantern or some other lifesteal item.

Oct 25, 2006
Hmm? Doesn't her ultimate make her basically invulnerable for the duration? I don't regularly play her, but I seem to play against her all the time and her ultimate seems VERY similar to trynds in actual end results, even if the mechanics are a bit different.

Before I fully understood her kit there were many encounters where I'd fight a Fiora, think I was winning, just to see her ultimate at 20% hp, kill or nearly kill me, and lifesteal or regen a few hundred HP during the ultimate to put her out of the danger zone.

Her ult may not last as long as undying rage, but combined with her passive and the free physical damage it deals she gains a a ton of HP just by casting it as long as she has a lantern or some other lifesteal item.
No. She is untargetable. AOE still kills her. Her ult does very little damage on one person, 400 + 100+25+5+ 1. Something like that. Her passive heals like 18 hp every 6 seconds. 3 hp every second, non stackable unless on an enemy champion. Such a good passive.

HumblePie

Lifer
Oct 30, 2000
I've played Fiora and she can only be built one way I've found. If built that way she steam rolls.

Fiora has a built in AD boost and an attack speed steroid. Thus the ONLY DPS you should focus on is crit chance. After that, build tanky. you'll demolish people if you do that.

Want to know a fun build I did with her once and steam rolled with?

Warmogs
Warmogs
Atmas
Phantom Dancer
Tri-force
Merc Treads

I LOL'd so hard that game. Almost 5.5K health to absorb the AP nukes, and almost 300+ ish AD. With 77% crit chance (from runes) I was destroying the other team. Stacking a green pot just maxed out my crit chance. With Tri-force + PD and her steroid I was beyond the cap for attack speed.

Here is what I did for her.

Crit % chance Quints and Marks. Flat armor Seals, and Mr per level blues.

That starts you with 14% crit chance, 14 armor, and 24 MR at level 18.

I go with 21/0/9 jungle AD setup. I like having Runic Affinity with red buff with her.

I like having doran blade to start with which I sell later. I like also getting avarice blade for the same reason. Crit % + gold. I also have a vamp scepter. With the build I did above I just sold the eventually though. Merc treads + MR blues + tons of health means you can ignore casters for the most part. The atmas + armor yellows + natural armor gives you enough armor to take a bunch of hits from AD carries as well.

Fiora is all about charging in hard and fast from the get go. She is NOT a passive champ. She is a balls deep champ. If you can not nearly kill the other person by level 2 or kill them then you are doing it wrong. Get Q once, then max E and W. Alternate between the two. Know when to use her parry correctly as that makes trading blows much easier. Know how to use her Q to engage on someone and then to back out. What I do is Q when they get behind their minion line. I use it to attack, and then Q a minion to get away after taking a swipe at them while parry is up. If they are dumb they hit you back and take the parry damage as you get away. Don't do this if there is a Cannon minion near or the attack from the cannon will eat your parry instead.

She is an aggressive top champ and if you play passive then you are wasting her potential.

Chiropteran

Diamond Member
Nov 14, 2003
No. She is untargetable. AOE still kills her.

Are you sure? "Untargatable" is exactly how Vlad's pool is described, and with possibly 1-3 exceptions he is invulnerable to everything while in pool, AOE included. If you *can* hit Fiora with any old AOE during her ultimate, what a terrible failure in ability descriptions. Ugh.

Her ult does very little damage on one person, 400 + 100+25+5+ 1. Something like that.

That damage sounds accurate for level 6, but what game are you playing where that damage is insignificant at that level? It's about 1000 per strike at max with decent AD.

passive heals like 18 hp every 6 seconds. 3 hp every second, non stackable unless on an enemy champion. Such a good passive.

Fiora regenerates 7 + (1 × level) health over 6 seconds each time she deals physical damage. Striking champions will cause this effect to stack up to 4 times.

At level 6 in a 1v1 fight, it's going to be stacked to 4 pretty much instantly. 13*4= 52hp/6

It might not be a lot, but it's more hp return than a vamp scepter, which is about the best you will see at that level typically. Combined with her parrying attacks and lifesteal from her items it all adds up.

I dunno, I just don't see her being all that weak. She might not fit into the popular meta ranked teams, but her raw stats and abilities are very strong.

Last edited:

HumblePie

Lifer
Oct 30, 2000
Are you sure? "Untargatable" is exactly how Vlad's pool is described, and with possibly 1-3 exceptions he is invulnerable to everything while in pool, AOE included. If you *can* hit Fiora with any old AOE during her ultimate, what a terrible failure in ability descriptions. Ugh.

That damage sounds accurate for level 6, but what game are you playing where that damage is insignificant at that level? It's about 1000 per strike at max with decent AD.

Fiora regenerates 7 + (1 × level) health over 6 seconds each time she deals physical damage. Striking champions will cause this effect to stack up to 4 times.

At level 6 in a 1v1 fight, it's going to be stacked to 4 pretty much instantly. 13*4= 52hp/6

It might not be a lot, but it's more hp return than a vamp scepter, which is about the best you will see at that level typically. Combined with her parrying attacks and lifesteal from her items it all adds up.

I dunno, I just don't see her being all that weak. She might not fit into the popular meta ranked teams, but her raw stats and abilities are very strong.

Pretty much spot on with her abilities.

Her downside is her lack of tankiness, not her damage output. You must build for some tankiness with her or she will die fast.

Her ult is invulnerabilty. I have never died while using it even when I had 1 hp left. So long as you can get it off you will complete the entire ult. You may die the moment it ends though if there is an AoE effect going on such as a nasus or malz pool.

But I know that Amumu ult won't stop her and that's a non targeted AoE ability.

EDIT, her real problems, beyond not being that tanky is her lack of CC and escape. Her E gives her movement speed, but only if she hits something. It also doesn't last long. Her ult doesn't break her out of CC either and if you get nailed with a CC, you can be focused down pretty hard core. Unlike trynd's or alistar's ult where they can't die easily due to their ult mechanics even if they get stunned. Her ult is great for tower diving and even initiating team fights though. As you never know who you are to end up next to when the ult completes sometimes. Which means you can plop out right next to a very tasty squishie at the back line.

Her biggest skill curve to play her right is when to parry. That is what makes a good fiora versus junk in my opinion.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2006

1) I don't know. I've tested it, and I've died to Malphite when low when I ult and he uses his ground slam while I'm ulting. I've also killed Fiora's with my Riven ult while they were ulting. Also I'm pretty sure abilities that target you before you ult still hits you mid ult. Blinds and dodges also prevent the ult from doing damage, as well as pantheons shield and others.

2) Lets say you're level 6 and have about 50 bonus attack damage, against a single target, you will do, (base 160 + 40 or so bonus from attack damage) 200 + 50 + 12 + 3 + .8 damage. So about 270 damage. Take 50 % off of that from armor, and you do about 135 damage with a full combo. It scales pretty well, but only if you're fed. If not fed, its simply a medicorely damaging ult with almost no other use.

3) For the sake of argument, lets say level 6. 13 health over 6 seconds. Lets also say that you hit an enemy 4 times, so you get 52 health over 6 seconds. Sounds nice, until you realize that in the course of hitting the enemy champ, he hit you also, doing about... 50 damage assuming 100 attack power at level 6 and generously 50% damage reduction from armor.

Then attach that with the lack of a good escape, unless you're fortunate with enemy minion placement, you'll take one or two good hits, sure the parry will block one. But it only blocks basic attacks. All abilities go right on through it. This is not a winning scenario. Pantheon for insance will destroy you top. He has a stun which you really can't do anything about, does not autoattack much, which means parry is useless, and his shield blocks a ton of your extremely mana hungry abilities,

Last edited:

HumblePie

Lifer
Oct 30, 2000
1) I don't know. I've tested it, and I've died to Malphite when low when I ult and he uses his ground slam while I'm ulting. I've also killed Fiora's with my Riven ult while they were ulting. Also I'm pretty sure abilities that target you before you ult still hits you mid ult. Blinds and dodges also prevent the ult from doing damage, as well as pantheons shield and others.

2) Lets say you're level 6 and have about 50 bonus attack damage, against a single target, you will do, (base 160 + 40 or so bonus from attack damage) 200 + 50 + 12 + 3 + .8 damage. So about 270 damage. Take 50 % off of that from armor, and you do about 135 damage with a full combo. It scales pretty well, but only if you're fed. If not fed, its simply a medicorely damaging ult with almost no other use.

3) For the sake of argument, lets say level 6. 13 health over 6 seconds. Lets also say that you hit an enemy 4 times, so you get 52 health over 6 seconds. Sounds nice, until you realize that in the course of hitting the enemy champ, he hit you also, doing about... 50 damage assuming 100 attack power at level 6 and generously 50% damage reduction from armor.

Then attach that with the lack of a good escape, unless you're fortunate with enemy minion placement, you'll take one or two good hits, sure the parry will block one. But it only blocks basic attacks. All abilities go right on through it. This is not a winning scenario. Pantheon for insance will destroy you top. He has a stun which you really can't do anything about, does not autoattack much, which means parry is useless, and his shield blocks a ton of your extremely mana hungry abilities,

Parry blocks abilities. Just the damage though. It doesn't block status effects.

Meaning if an ability would do 400 damage and stun you, then it just stuns you. The damage is not done if parry is up.

Oct 25, 2006
This is what the Wiki says...

Upon activating, Riposte will parry the next basic attack directed at her and will return magic damage to the attacker. This effect does not work on regular minions.

krnmastersgt

Platinum Member
Jan 10, 2008
I've never seen Riposte block any abilities that weren't just enhanced auto-attacks (and there aren't that many of those).

And her ult does make her essentially invulnerable from what I've seen, but due to the random jumps and the massively diminished damage from striking the same hero, it's not really a reliable nuke it's more often used as a disjoint or finisher because they cant quite reach their target, these are the most common ways of using her ult I've seen.

Her passive is only really useful during early laning, while it does continue to scale the amount of health regen doesn't compare to the amount of damage output champions will have by the time she's 18. Her gap-closer has a fairly limited range and she's still very prone to proper kiting. Her steroid is very powerful however also very short and when it goes down you're unable to really output damage till its back up again.

Her ult has decent base + scaling damage but the diminishing returns and randomness of the jump as well as the fact that any distance closing ability can make her ult backfire puts her in a very bad spot in my books. She's a decently powerful snowballer and split pusher (due to her strong 1v1 ability) but she doesn't really have the kit to output a lot of damage to enemy teams unless they rolled bad champion picks or just aren't playing that well.

HumblePie

Lifer
Oct 30, 2000
What I meant to say is that her Riposte with block the PHYSICAL damage component of any ability used against her. So you can block another Fiora's ult for example. I've tested that at least. So if you put up riposte right as another Fiora goes to use her ult then the entire ult will deal zero damage to you since it is physical based.

Oct 25, 2006
What I meant to say is that her Riposte with block the PHYSICAL damage component of any ability used against her. So you can block another Fiora's ult for example. I've tested that at least. So if you put up riposte right as another Fiora goes to use her ult then the entire ult will deal zero damage to you since it is physical based.

Pretty sure thats not right. From what I'm reading, her Ult is like a heavily boosted special version of an Auto attack. It can be blocked by pantheons passive, Riposte, and jaxes ult and is also effected by blinds. It also will cause procs to happen.

However, for every other ability, it does NOT block any damage from abilities. It is specifically only for auto attacks, it evens says so in the description, it only blocks basic attacks

Last edited:

zebano

Diamond Member
Jun 15, 2005
Anyone played Hecarim yet? I did a custom game to check out the new fonts and other than the massive "FIRST BLOOD" I generally like the changes. It's much cleaner and easier to read. It did take me a minute to get used to the +gold text (small.. I kept thinking I was missing cs).

Chiropteran

Diamond Member
Nov 14, 2003
I wish LoL had highlight aura colors like Warcraft 3. Like a blue circle around your champ, green around allies, red around enemies. Something super blatant obvious. I do fine when I play the same champion often, but sometimes I lose my character in a big fight when I am playing a non-typical champ who I am not used to seeing as mine.

zebano

Diamond Member
Jun 15, 2005
I wish LoL had highlight aura colors like Warcraft 3. Like a blue circle around your champ, green around allies, red around enemies. Something super blatant obvious. I do fine when I play the same champion often, but sometimes I lose my character in a big fight when I am playing a non-typical champ who I am not used to seeing as mine.

Spacebar is your friend!

That or just play Cho'Gath.

ImpulsE69

Lifer
Jan 8, 2010

This happens to me too. I think that's why I prefer ranged characters. In large fights where everyone is together and throwing out moves, layering priorities don't always put your char on top and it's easy to lose them.