Latest Core i7 release date info

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

minmaster

Platinum Member
Oct 22, 2006
great deal, but if you're a pro at waiting, they'll just keep dropping in price.

bryanW1995

Lifer
May 22, 2007
Originally posted by: Cookie Monster
I dont think the initial wave of X58s will be cheap. Cheap i mean ~$200.

+1

expect to pay $300 minimum for first wave of x58 mobos.

Idontcare

Elite Member
Oct 10, 1999
Originally posted by: bryanW1995
Originally posted by: Cookie Monster
I dont think the initial wave of X58s will be cheap. Cheap i mean ~$200.

+1

expect to pay $300 minimum for first wave of x58 mobos.

Still way cheap compared to that first wave of LGA775 boards that supported SLi and Kenstfield quads...paid $500 for my Asus Striker (and killed it within 12 months too, no RMA)

WaitingForNehalem

Platinum Member
Aug 24, 2008
I just picked up a 24" Samsung SyncMaster 245BW for $292 AR from Circuit City. That is the best 24" monitor deal ever.

My PC is having a hard time pushing 1900 x 1200. I'm getting 15-20 FPS in Oblivion outside.

AmberClad

Diamond Member
Jul 23, 2005
First couple of weeks of November according to Fud.

So I've been meaning to ask you this -- what were you planning on doing after Core i7 eventuallly comes out? You'll be in the same boat as forum members such as "Dothan", "Conroe", and "x2 3600 rules sazakky"...

WaitingForNehalem

Platinum Member
Aug 24, 2008
Originally posted by: AmberClad

So I've been meaning to ask you this -- what were you planning on doing after Core i7 eventuallly comes out? You'll be in the same boat as forum members such as "Dothan", "Conroe", and "x2 3600 rules sazakky"...

When it comes out, I'll buy it. Since this computer will last me another 4 years, it needs to be as top of line and future proof as possible. Tons of people tell me to go Penryn but as I said before, I don't go with old tech no matter how cheap it is. I can't imagine myself spending my hard earned cash on something that will be replaced in 1-2 months. I was upset when I bought a PS1 in 1999 and the PS2 came out in 2000. I want the new socket, the new ram, the new chipset, and the new architecture. I've been waiting a long time and I'm ready for NEHALEM (THUNDER)!

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
That Gigabyte X58 board looks pretty sweet. I could drop 4 HD4850s in there. Then again, would I want to? Would I be CPU-limited, even with Nehalem?

Dadofamunky

Platinum Member
Jan 4, 2005
Originally posted by: walk2k

As for RAM disks, I have no use for something like that. I can't even imagine what you would use one for. The last time I used a RAM disk was probably on my Amiga with floppy disk only (no HDD)...

That is still one of the fastest computing phenomena I've ever seen... booting AmigaDOS and my C compiler in a 512KB RAM disk. NO hard drive. Man, that thign was sweet. Sorry, I know that's off topic. PCs never seem to have gotten the hang of RAM drives. Consequence of software bloat, I guess.

Originally posted by: WaitingForNehalem

When it comes out, I'll buy it. Since this computer will last me another 4 years, it needs to be as top of line and future proof as possible. Tons of people tell me to go Penryn but as I said before, I don't go with old tech no matter how cheap it is. I can't imagine myself spending my hard earned cash on something that will be replaced in 1-2 months. I was upset when I bought a PS1 in 1999 and the PS2 came out in 2000. I want the new socket, the new ram, the new chipset, and the new architecture. I've been waiting a long time and I'm ready for NEHALEM (THUNDER)!

Then $1500 won't even get you in the door. Well, you MIGHT be able to buy the first $1000 CPU, a $300 buggy-as-Hell motherboard, and a stick or two of RAM, but probably nothing else. At least you got the monitor squared away. Frankly, I don't usually like new architectures, they're a great way to throw money out the door until they stabilize (and go through a second hardware iteration). Core 2 was an exception, Intel really nailed that one. But even if Intel nails this one, the rollout will be slow and there WILL be problems in 3rd-party products.

Besides, Penryn ain't old. Prescott is old. I'll be LMAO watching folks on this board crying about immature boards that blow up, impenetrable BIOSes, $1200 CPUs that don't substantially outperform the previous generation, and so on. Think that can't happen? Think again. You might have to wait another 8 months or a year before Nehalem really settles down. It's just part of the game. $1500 will build a really sweet 4 GHz Penryn machine. But that's barely entry-level for Neha, and it ain't gonna happen right away. But good luck. :D~

Flipped Gazelle

Diamond Member
Sep 5, 2004
Originally posted by: Dadofamunky
Originally posted by: walk2k

As for RAM disks, I have no use for something like that. I can't even imagine what you would use one for. The last time I used a RAM disk was probably on my Amiga with floppy disk only (no HDD)...

That is still one of the fastest computing phenomena I've ever seen... booting AmigaDOS and my C compiler in a 512KB RAM disk. NO hard drive. Man, that thign was sweet. Sorry, I know that's off topic. PCs never seem to have gotten the hang of RAM drives. Consequence of software bloat, I guess.

Ah, the memories... in 1987 I bought an A500 w/1084 monitor and a couple of games - Archon and some racing game - for $660. Stereo sound and oh, all the pretty colors...

Get off my lawn!

Dadofamunky

Platinum Member
Jan 4, 2005
Originally posted by: Flipped Gazelle

Ah, the memories... in 1987 I bought an A500 w/1084 monitor and a couple of games - Archon and some racing game - for $660. Stereo sound and oh, all the pretty colors...

Get off my lawn!

LOL.

solofly

Banned
May 25, 2003
Originally posted by: VirtualLarry
That Gigabyte X58 board looks pretty sweet. I could drop 4 HD4850s in there. Then again, would I want to? Would I be CPU-limited, even with Nehalem?

4 don't scale all that well = waste of money. I'll be dropping 3xHD4850s in mine...

WaitingForNehalem

Platinum Member
Aug 24, 2008
I am so tired of WAITING! I wish I at least had a release date. I'm so tired of the stinky FPS I get in Oblivion and S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Does anyone have a release date?

SniperZ

Jan 5, 2005
I just saw CoD : World at War, so exciting to get a new system to play new games. However, we just need to wait until they official sell the Core i7 and see the real price/performance vs current quad core.

WaitingForNehalem

Platinum Member
Aug 24, 2008
I'd be pretty upset if I've been waiting all this time just to find out Nehalem is slower (which wouldn't make sense).

enthdigry

Aug 19, 2008
You guys have any information on Gainestown?

Such as:
- Estimated dates
- Motherboards (dual processor, SLI capable, as many DIMM slots as possible since it sounds like i'll be running a min of 3x4GB)
- Performance

I am trying to decide if I want to go with current high-end XEON or Opteron which are comparable to each in performance for my application or wait for Gainestown and completely blow the two out of the water.

WaitingForNehalem

Platinum Member
Aug 24, 2008
Why would you go for a server? There is Skulltrail for consumer dual processor boards. Honestly though, server boards aren't as up to date as enthusiast boards last time I looked.

bryanW1995

Lifer
May 22, 2007

My personal favorite is x2 3600 rules sazakky. that's just a name for the ages. we'll all be using 1 googleHZ computers in 20 years and laugh about these silly names...

bryanW1995

Lifer
May 22, 2007
Why would you go for a server? There is Skulltrail for consumer dual processor boards. Honestly though, server boards aren't as up to date as enthusiast boards last time I looked.

well, if he needs 12gb+ ram then he's either gung-ho about ram drives or he might (gasp) actually be buying a server to use as...a server. quaint, I know, but still possible.

enthdigry

Aug 19, 2008

Because they seem to be the norm from workstation manufacturers for 3D Modeling, Finite Element Analysis, and Computational Fluid Dynamics programs so I figure there is a reason they use them.

What are their downsides? What isn't as up-to-date? Won't the first run of server boards likely just be as capable as the current high end boards?

Programs I use can access multiple cores/processors and run in parallel when chugging through simulations and hundreds of thousands of equations. 8 cores would be great because I could dedicate 6 cores to analysis while being able to do other work using the other 2. The time I save would be much more valuable to my organization in terms of money than the system costs--it'd pay for itself within a few weeks.

I need the dual PCI-E 16x slots for SLI capability because I will be running two QUADRO FX 3700 video cards to support two 24in widescreens

I also need to be able to support as much RAM as possible so the more DIMM slots the better. I'll start off with 12GB and upgrade if needed, so 6 slots would be a preferred minimum.

My current machine is 4 years old and running 2 XEON processors with 2 GB of RAM. Simple analyses are requiring 4 GB so I am getting 2GB+ page files while using all my RAM.