Latest Core i7 release date info

WaitingForNehalem

Platinum Member
Aug 24, 2008
To get an idea of what I'm using look at my signature. That's right, I'm still on a P4 with a Shader Model 2.0 graphics card. I've been waiting for a long time and I'm growing so impatient. I keep reading confilcting rumors on release months for Core i7. Xbit says November, most say October, and some even say September (which I hope is true). So please anyone, give me the latest info!

SniperZ

Jan 5, 2005
I'm in the same shoes, still waiting for more Nahalem info. I will see how much they cost and performance compare with current quadcore !
/sigh....I'm still using the P4.....

Idontcare

Elite Member
Oct 10, 1999
Whether its released in Sept, Oct or Nov you can bet that you won't find the suckers in stock in anything but the $1k extreme version until Nov or Dec timeframe. Same with mobos.

I know your feeling of impatience. Mine was with the original release of Kentsfield (the very first quads in fall of 2006). I had a 2.8GHz P4 Northwood at the time.

I was like a rat pushing the button for his cocaine hit, checking the web 10 times a day to see if Kentsfield was released, and then when that day finally came it was another month to find the sucker in stock. And then it was time to pay the piper and shell out $1500 because there was such a shortage even a month after release that the premium was just that much higher.

Oh and so too was the issue getting an Asus Extreme Striker board at exactly the same time. Paid nearly $500 for that.

I think it was worth it, but then again I had the cash for such crappy price/performance hobbies. I won't ever do it again though, once was enough to get me to kick the habit.

I have every expectation you are in for the same ride as you try and find an i7 chip at any GHz and any price along with seeking out one of the very first x58 mobo's to hit the market.

Be patient, adjust your expectations to assume you aren't getting the system until Dec timeframe and try and enjoy the next 90days of your life doing something other than being addicted to 5min updates on Nehalem release status (I soooo wish I had my 90days back from doing that with Kentsfield).

minmaster

Platinum Member
Oct 22, 2006
probably november, but i'd wait well into next year for nehalm prices to come down to affordable levels and the release of mainstream desktop chips as well as any revisions they need to apply. the first release will likely be overpriced and won't have the benefit of having the kinks worked out.

WaitingForNehalem

Platinum Member
Aug 24, 2008
Originally posted by: minmaster
probably november, but i'd wait well into next year for nehalm prices to come down to affordable levels and the release of mainstream desktop chips as well as any revisions they need to apply. the first release will likely be overpriced and won't have the benefit of having the kinks worked out.

Nah, I don't want mainstream chips. The 2.66 ghz chip is said to be MSRP ~ $284. That is a decent price. Plus I don't overclock so I need the extra performance over the mainstream chips.

I was like a rat pushing the button for his cocaine hit, checking the web 10 times a day to see if Kentsfield was released, and then when that day finally came it was another month to find the sucker in stock. And then it was time to pay the piper and shell out $1500 because there was such a shortage even a month after release that the premium was just that much higher.

LOL, so my plan for clicking the "buy" button for my cpu at 12:01 A.M. won't work? What annoys me even further is that I already ordered my case and it just sits there all empty. It is pretty much asking me to put stuff in it.

bodhammer

Aug 8, 2004
I'm the same as all of you - I just bought an AGP HD3850 to tide me over until I7 and the infrastructure are there. I'm going to stretch my 3.4 Ghz P4EE another few months...

minmaster

Platinum Member
Oct 22, 2006
hey hey we're all in the same boat. P4 3.2 Northwood user here. i was really close to building a new quad core system recently but decided to hold out until nehalem. however, i don't think i have the luxury of having enough $$ to be an early adapter. i'm looking towards early next year for the new build.

SniperZ

Jan 5, 2005
For people in the same shoes that still using P4 like me, just optimize our pc, defrag, remove....anything that can make our pc run faster for the time being :) !

I also think that I won't have enough $ to jump on Nahalem when they release with all the components I want such as 4-8 gig ram, nice mb. So waiting....and waiting....

PeteRoy

Jun 28, 2004
www.youtube.com
I'm waiting too, I will buy Core i7 when it comes out if it's not too expensive. I'm still on my 90nm Prescott 478 2.8Ghz with 6800GT

Drsignguy

Platinum Member
Mar 24, 2002
Originally posted by: bryanW1995
yeah, I know what you guys mean...this x3350 @ 3.6 is way too slow for me... :):)

Yeah, I feel your pain with my Q9450, and my Q6600, along with my E7200. I am pretty much going to wait this one out until all the early buying settles. Then I will think about it as I have Plenty here to keep me busy.

WaitingForNehalem

Platinum Member
Aug 24, 2008
Originally posted by: Drsignguy
Originally posted by: bryanW1995
yeah, I know what you guys mean...this x3350 @ 3.6 is way too slow for me... :):)

Yeah, I feel your pain with my Q9450, and my Q6600, along with my E7200. I am pretty much going to wait this one out until all the early buying settles. Then I will think about it as I have Plenty here to keep me busy.

Who's gonna be laughing when I have the new socket 1366, not the extinct LGA 775? That's what I thought LOL.

BDawg

Lifer
Oct 31, 2000
Originally posted by: WaitingForNehalem
To get an idea of what I'm using look at my signature. That's right, I'm still on a P4 with a Shader Model 2.0 graphics card. I've been waiting for a long time and I'm growing so impatient. I keep reading confilcting rumors on release months for Core i7. Xbit says November, most say October, and some even say September (which I hope is true). So please anyone, give me the latest info!

P4 2.4GHz with Radeon x800XT here. HIGH-FIVE!

walk2k

Feb 11, 2006
Anyone have something more solid? Are the mobo manuf's, Asus etc.. working on boards now? They have to be right, if they are coming out next month.

AmberClad

Diamond Member
Jul 23, 2005
All of the major manufacturers have shown pictures of their Ci7 boards in the past week or so, since the IDF conference took place:

Intel SmackOver
ASUS P6T Deluxe
MSI Eclipse
Gigabyte GA-X58-DS4
Foxconn Renaissance

Erm, I'm not sure what the current status of the Abit IX58 is. Actually, I'm not sure what the status of Abit is, in general...

Looks like black is the new...um...beige? Gigabyte is sticking to the good old pastel color palette...

nyker96

Diamond Member
Apr 19, 2005
I don't like the 'smackover' name from intel but the board looks sweat. very clean layout. the Gigabyte GA-X58-DS4 looks like it's made for water cooling, that's interesting. the 5 series overall looks like a good upgrade from my current 3 series board, I think the 4 series are just not worth it for me right now to upgrade to.

firewolfsm

Golden Member
Oct 16, 2005
NEVER buy tech right when it comes out, I remember the chaos that went down when Conroe first released. Everything was double the price and people still paid for it, it'll take months for everything to settle down which means you might not get your processor at a fair price until next year. I'd get a 9 series quad and upgrade now.

Idontcare

Elite Member
Oct 10, 1999
Originally posted by: AmberClad
All of the major manufacturers have shown pictures of their Ci7 boards in the past week or so, since the IDF conference took place:

Intel SmackOver
ASUS P6T Deluxe
MSI Eclipse
Gigabyte GA-X58-DS4
Foxconn Renaissance

Erm, I'm not sure what the current status of the Abit IX58 is. Actually, I'm not sure what the status of Abit is, in general...

Looks like black is the new...um...beige? Gigabyte is sticking to the good old pastel color palette...

Awesome rundown! Thanks for taking the time to assemble and post this list with links :thumbsup:

What I don't like about Smackover is that it only has 4 dimms.

I'll settle for 6dimms but gosh I'd love to see an enthusiast board sport all 9 dimms that the i7 supports.

I have a penchant for ram drives.

WaitingForNehalem

Platinum Member
Aug 24, 2008
I could care less about which motherboard I use since I don't overclock. I hope Fry's has their mobo/cpu combo for Core i7 soon.

AmberClad

Diamond Member
Jul 23, 2005
Originally posted by: Idontcare
I'll settle for 6dimms but gosh I'd love to see an enthusiast board sport all 9 dimms that the i7 supports.
I have a hard time imagining how they would manage to cram 9 freaking dimm slots on there :shocked:. 8 dimms is a tight fit on an ATX, even with the much smaller LGA775 socket.

walk2k

Feb 11, 2006
I generally don't OC either but I'm slightly picky about mobos because I need 2 PS/2 ports. That's why I'm not fond of recent Intel boards..

If I was going to upgrade right now it would be something like a E8400, cheap mobo ($100 ish) and 2GB of DDR2 ram. Still that's $330-350. I could instead save that and put it towards an i7 later. I know they won't be cheap when first released but I don't forsee any major glitches, Core2 certainly didn't have any, or not that I heard anyway...

minmaster

Platinum Member
Oct 22, 2006
Originally posted by: WaitingForNehalem
I could care less about which motherboard I use since I don't overclock. I hope Fry's has their mobo/cpu combo for Core i7 soon.

yeah if you're in the market for nehalem+ECS mobo, fry's will definitely have them. yuck.

Originally posted by: firewolfsm
NEVER buy tech right when it comes out, I remember the chaos that went down when Conroe first released. Everything was double the price and people still paid for it, it'll take months for everything to settle down which means you might not get your processor at a fair price until next year. I'd get a 9 series quad and upgrade now.

this is what my thinking is also. you never know what sort of unforseen problems they might have with the new architecture, so it's always best to wait until a revision of some sort comes along.

walk2k

Feb 11, 2006
Originally posted by: AmberClad
Originally posted by: Idontcare
I have a hard time imagining how they would manage to cram 9 freaking dimm slots on there :shocked:. 8 dimms is a tight fit on an ATX, even with the much smaller LGA775 socket.

6 should be enough!! Even with relatively inexpensive 2GB dimms that's 12 freaking GB of ram... most people probably don't even need half that. Plus of course with 4GB dimms you're looking at 24GB of ram if you really need ram...

I remember when a computer with 512kb of ram was phat... but that's another story.

WaitingForNehalem

Platinum Member
Aug 24, 2008
yeah if you're in the market for nehalem+ECS mobo, fry's will definitely have them. yuck.

ECS mobos are good motherboards for a non-overclockers. Frys has a Core 2 Quad 9400/mobo combo for $259.99. NewEgg has just the cpu for $274.99. Which would you choose?