lapop gurus

waylman

Diamond Member
Apr 4, 2003
heh all, Im in the market for a new lappy...it's will be mainly used for surfing/email/office apps. I do want it to be fast enough to run apps like Photoshop decently though...maybe some light gaming. Any recommendations? Dell? IBM?

CreativeTom

Banned
May 10, 2005
NO IBM!!!! I would go with Dell, you probably won't find a better deal for what they have available. Check out the Dell 9300, it's a very nice all around versatile machine. I think you could also give some of the Toshiba machines out there if you can find a good price they are very nice machines!!

cmp1223

Jun 7, 2004
NO IBM? You must be kidding. I would take my T43 over any dell any day. The X300 is definately "light" of gaming capabilities, but it will play any game released 2 years ago a max settings and i've heard it can hl2 at adequae levels. A t43 is built like a tank.

Fox5

Diamond Member
Jan 31, 2005
Why no IBM? They cost more and are generally weaker, but they are well built.
Toshiba has some nice and powerful models, but they're pricey.

HP actually seems to offer the best value though. Their Turion laptops can be had for under $1000 fairly loaded and capable of light gaming thanks to the integrated XMA200 graphics.(basically an X300SE, but better than the Radeon 9000s and GMA900s you'll find in other low end laptops)

CreativeTom

Banned
May 10, 2005
Originally posted by: cmp1223
NO IBM? You must be kidding. I would take my T43 over any dell any day. The X300 is definately "light" of gaming capabilities, but it will play any game released 2 years ago a max settings and i've heard it can hl2 at adequae levels. A t43 is built like a tank.

OK, you stay happy with your IBM, I will take my Dell 9300 and kick the IBM's butt....lol

cmp1223

Jun 7, 2004
Lets see, active hard drive protection, titantium and carbon fiber chassis, spill-resistant keyboard: my IBM will be working long after you replace that dell after it malfunctions. Not to mention 1 inch thin, 5 pounds, SXGA+ screen, fingerprint scanner, 3yr warranty. I'll leave gaming to my main rig. When I'm on the road, there nothing better than IBM!

NuroMancer

Golden Member
Nov 8, 2004
Lets see, active hard drive protection, titantium and carbon fiber chassis, spill-resistant keyboard: my IBM will be working long after you replace that dell after it malfunctions. Not to mention 1 inch thin, 5 pounds, SXGA+ screen, fingerprint scanner, 3yr warranty. I'll leave gaming to my main rig. When I'm on the road, there nothing better than IBM!

Very true,
that being said, I broke the bank and bought a M40 notebook from toshiba, and I must say, It's AMAZING. Has a nice 6600 with 128 dedicated vram :D:D

ValuedCustomer

May 5, 2004
absolutely correct! - Dell Latitudes (NOT Inspirons) are good laptops, no doubt, but IBM edges them out w/ their bullet-proof construction and reliability. - CreativeTom, have you ever had a T series laptop? If you get a chance check one out, I think you'll at least reconsider your "NO IBM!!" stance.. and Toshiba? puhleease.. not even in the same league w/ either the Latitude OR T-series.

Hacp

Lifer
Jun 8, 2005
IBM is kinda overpriced though. Ya, its good if you have the money, but if your on a budget, nothing beats dell's mobile laptops. Anyways, why would people want 7+ pound notebooks? I consider 5 pounds heavy already.

Fox5

Diamond Member
Jan 31, 2005
Originally posted by: CreativeTom

OK, you stay happy with your IBM, I will take my Dell 9300 and kick the IBM's butt....lol

In gaming performance perhaps, but the 9300 is a heck of a lot heavier and bigger I believe. The IBM is also much more durable.(though Dell's Latitude's might be able to challenge an IBM for durability, but not an inspiron)

t3h l337 n3wb

Platinum Member
Apr 22, 2005
IBM laptops are really durable, reliable, and secure, but the bang for your buck performance is a lot worse than Dell. Dell laptops are really cheap, pack a lot of power, and usually can be configured to have excellent battery life. If you're aiming for $1000 or less, the Inspiron 6000 is the way to go. Look here: Linky

thecoolnessrune

Diamond Member
Jun 8, 2005
I believe the HP models to be the best notebooks for the budget consumer and the multimedia hungry. For anything serious I would reccommend IBM. Sadly the notebooks and desktops of IBM now belong to Lenvovo. Sad, the quality may go downhill fast. IMO, whenever buying a retail computer, go to a business model. While maybe not as pretty looking it will certainly be more durable than the consumer models. I would reccommend an HP nc6000 But a word of warning. Make sure the memory you select is DDR400. Not 533. The Pentium M can't run at 533 speeds.

JackBurton

Lifer
Jul 18, 2000
Originally posted by: thecoolnessrune
I believe the HP models to be the best notebooks for the budget consumer and the multimedia hungry. For anything serious I would reccommend IBM. Sadly the notebooks and desktops of IBM now belong to Lenvovo. Sad, the quality may go downhill fast. IMO, whenever buying a retail computer, go to a business model. While maybe not as pretty looking it will certainly be more durable than the consumer models. I would reccommend an HP nc6000 But a word of warning. Make sure the memory you select is DDR400. Not 533. The Pentium M can't run at 533 speeds.
I rank HP WAY over Dell. With Dell you get what you pay for. You want a cheap laptop, get yourself a Dell. HP nc6000 is a nice laptop, but the nc6230 is MUCH nicer. For me though, I'd configure one of these. AWESOME laptops, but you'll pay an awesome price too. I rate the Sony S series laptop #1 for me. Everything I need in a laptop and the style to match. ;)

furballi

Banned
Apr 6, 2005
The old IBM units are good machines. DELL is all about bells and whistles. Some HPs are okay. The neighbor has a cheap $500 Acer with the cheap Intel CPU. Nice machine if you don't care about long running time between charge.

The Panasonic Toughbook is still KING of the HILL. It's the only notebook that I would consider purchasing. Gotta love the 3 yr warranty + Made in Japan.

If you buy a cheap notebook, then spend the extra $ for the extended warranty. The hard drive will usually fail within 2 yr with normal use.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16834150010

cmp1223

Jun 7, 2004
I don't believe IBM quality was effected by the Lenovo purchase. The new T43 was in planning and pre-production long before Lenovo was in the picture. IBM still puts ther name on it, and have a reputation to defend, especially among buisness clients. IBM will be handing US based Tech support for at least 5 years. What happens in the future might be different, but i think (and hope) IBM is as good as ever.

WackyDan

Diamond Member
Jan 26, 2004
Originally posted by: Hacp
IBM is kinda overpriced though. Ya, its good if you have the money, but if your on a budget, nothing beats dell's mobile laptops. Anyways, why would people want 7+ pound notebooks? I consider 5 pounds heavy already.

And most people who think IBM's are expensive are looking at Dell's consumer line which is absolute crap, and priced accordingly.

WackyDan

Diamond Member
Jan 26, 2004
Originally posted by: thecoolnessrune

ThinkPad quality isn't going anywhere, nor is the support moving overseas. Lenovo has specifically stated their goal isn't to be the new Dell of the industry, but still sell a premium high quality and innovative product in the ThinkPads and ThinkCentres.... and as Long as IBM's logo is still on the machines, which it will be for some time, it's doubtful you'll see any quality or support issues.

WackyDan

Diamond Member
Jan 26, 2004

And your 9300 is an Inspiron consumer piece of crap... :) It's not even in the same league as a business notebook, which is what the original poster stated he was essentially looking for.

WackyDan

Diamond Member
Jan 26, 2004
Originally posted by: furballi
The old IBM units are good machines. DELL is all about bells and whistles. Some HPs are okay. The neighbor has a cheap $500 Acer with the cheap Intel CPU. Nice machine if you don't care about long running time between charge.

The Panasonic Toughbook is still KING of the HILL. It's the only notebook that I would consider purchasing. Gotta love the 3 yr warranty + Made in Japan.

If you buy a cheap notebook, then spend the extra $ for the extended warranty. The hard drive will usually fail within 2 yr with normal use.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16834150010

And the Marine Corps are switching from Tough Books to ThinkPads.... Go figure... Turns out when you put a handle on a laptop and call it indestructable, marines actually try to treat them like they are indestructable resulting in a shorter service life than one would expect from a tough book.. :)

CreativeTom

Banned
May 10, 2005
Originally posted by: ValuedCustomer
absolutely correct! - Dell Latitudes (NOT Inspirons) are good laptops, no doubt, but IBM edges them out w/ their bullet-proof construction and reliability. - CreativeTom, have you ever had a T series laptop? If you get a chance check one out, I think you'll at least reconsider your "NO IBM!!" stance.. and Toshiba? puhleease.. not even in the same league w/ either the Latitude OR T-series.

No I haven't owned an IBM, but I have purchased some before (for work) and they are very nice. The point I was making is I don't think the need for an IBM for home use makes any sense, especially for gaming. The IBM costs a boat-load of money when you can get a Dell cheaper with a GO 6800 Ultra for gaming.....I don't think IBM offers that card no matter how much you want to pay.

CreativeTom

Banned
May 10, 2005
Originally posted by: WackyDan

And your 9300 is an Inspiron consumer piece of crap... :) It's not even in the same league as a business notebook, which is what the original poster stated he was essentially looking for.

Actually I don't see where he said he is looking for a business class notebook, I do see he wants it to be an all around machine. I think you need to think about what you are saying here, sure IBM is nice if you want to put out a second mortgage on your house for a machine that won't game very well and has a mediocore screen. I think Dell is the way to go for a machine that will be reliable and perform every function he is looking for...including gaming. I see everyones argument about IBM lasting so much longer, and this is probably true, the thing about it is, how long do you really want to keep a laptop before it's really outdated???? I have purchased quite a few IBM products for work and they are wonderful machines for that purpose, I don't see it for an all around machine though.

imported_rod

Golden Member
Apr 13, 2005
Check Out Dell. They have different models for different needs. A 9300 would probably be overkill for you, but Im sure you can work it out for yourself.

RoD