L4D: Info updates on new DLC!

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

imported_Imp

Diamond Member
Dec 20, 2005
I finally made 6:30 on the lighthouse map. The best room to camp seems to be the kitchen/fireplace in the house. You can't get smoked too far, and you're spread out enough so that when the tanks come, you could kill it quickly. Unfortunately, people still use the M16 and hunting rifle; if everyone went with pointblank shotgun, it'd be easier.

Also, I tried out the 'new' versus maps. Maybe I'm not use to them, but they really don't work all that well unless the survivors are retarded, and don't know what to do.

n7

Elite Member
Jan 4, 2004
I did over 10 minutes today to get gold on lighthouse.

The best room is indeed the kitchen + nearby corners.
You can run out to get ammo/health when needed.

You use pistols for as much as possible, then use autoshotty to rape the tanks.

If you have idiots on your team not using autoshotties, you're fucked.
There are certainly map that rifles work well, but not Lighthouse.

I'm starting to get kinda annoyed with people's inability to understand the best spots in maps though.

90% of the time i've figured out the best spot before even starting it, but getting others to understand that lol, it's another matter...so we waste time with retarded locations that don't work.

Alex C

Jul 7, 2008
I still usually use the M16, reload time is way too long with the shotgun and it's too hard to hit smokers. Sometimes I'll grab the shotgun during a lull before the tank comes.

imported_Imp

Diamond Member
Dec 20, 2005
Wow, just finished my best session yet with a great pub crew. Finally got 2 other very competent teammates, plus a third filler guy who followed along. Only 2 had mics, but we still kicked ass. Got 5 or 6 additional Golds just now.

Looks like the key to Survival is to camp close to the ammo, if not right ontop of it. That way, you never have to worry about going to pistols and conserving. You can also change weapons up on the fly if you run out of ammo, or need a shotgun to pointblank blast the tank. With this, we made almost 15 minutes for most maps we got gold in.

n7

Elite Member
Jan 4, 2004
Which ones were you right by ammo on?

I definitely try to stick nearby it, but it really doesn't work for a number of the levels...

And for those situations not near ammo, man the people not using shotties kill their team.
It's all well & good to use the M16 or hunting rifle initially during easy stages, but ffs, get a damn shotgun after the few minutes, or it's impossible to survive, as soon as the people using shotguns get in trouble with specials/tank, those without are absolutely useless at killing the tank. :frown:

way2fast91

Feb 10, 2009
I totally agree n7, I see you in game most nights when I logon to play, but you are always in game already and full. I have sworn by the auto shotty and dual pistols since I began L4D. Survival mode just makes it all the more obvious to me that these are the weapons of choice. Only time I found it useful for someone to have a rifle so far is on the runway, we could have gotten gold (actual time ~8:38) camping the corner back past where that closet used to be. Very few infected spawn behind that fence there and most everything comes from in front. Distance to ammo/health is moderate to long, but with a lull and good cover from 'mates it's doable.

zerocool84

Lifer
Nov 11, 2004
On pubs it's just so hard to get ammo cus you should never go by yourself but pubs suck. Any time I get invited to play or I invite, it gets filled up quickly. Gatta be wuick on that one.

imported_Imp

Diamond Member
Dec 20, 2005
Originally posted by: n7
Which ones were you right by ammo on?

I definitely try to stick nearby it, but it really doesn't work for a number of the levels...

And for those situations not near ammo, man the people not using shotties kill their team.
It's all well & good to use the M16 or hunting rifle initially during easy stages, but ffs, get a damn shotgun after the few minutes, or it's impossible to survive, as soon as the people using shotguns get in trouble with specials/tank, those without are absolutely useless at killing the tank. :frown:

Bla, I keep forgetting names, but I'll try to remember.

Warehouse of trainstation: Camped right across from box cars near ammo, by the stacked boxes that make a U shape. Smokers can't really get you, and if they do, can't take you far. You only have 2.5 streams of zombies to shoot, and tank almost always tries to climb over boxes, so more time to shoot.

Death Toll 'theatre' street: One with the forklift you move to start. Mainly use M16s right behind the table, easy pickings. We didn't make gold here cause one guy decided to run off on his own while 3 of us huddled behind the table.

Farmhouse: Did inside house by radio, all in a separate corner, unstoppable.

Trainstation: Stayed in cabin with generators, one in each corner.

And some other ones, can't remember right now. You're right that you may not be able to do it for all maps though. We made 27 minutes on the Sewer portion of Death Toll near the medkits. All had autoshotties, and we used pistols. It was kind of bullshit though because the tank went retarded and got stuck or wandered off after the 17 minute point. It came back after 22. Also, one guy was baiting the smokers by sitting near the yellow railings; smokers couldn't pull him, but they kept trying.

I mainly use shottie cause I don't trust others to take down the tank quickly. Also, I can't believe I never noticed it before, but you don't have to cock the gun if you never use up the last shell. You mean it uses the previous shell's energy to eject/cock the next shell...

TidusZ

Golden Member
Nov 13, 2007
survival mode reminds me of everything I hated bout raiding in WoW.. Having to depend on a bunch of noobs in order to get a good score for yourself. You'd think it'd be easier to find 3 good players, but with no monthly fees its mostly 13 year olds talking shit on the microphone and griefers throwing molotovs into the group.