Question KrisFix Germany video on 6800 and 6900 cards dying while running Adrenaline 22.11.2

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Puffnstuff

Lifer
Mar 9, 2005
Hey guys I ran across his video tonight and was wondering if anybody has encountered this issue with the latest whql adrenaline driver? I have an AIB 6900 XT and run it but haven't seen anything weird apart from the normal stuff like the card randomly drops signal to my 2nd UW monitor. He's got over 50 cards as of his video and all died running the new driver irrespective of their individual use cases which were all different.

Khanan

Aug 27, 2017
Maybe there is a bonus round?

I woke up the following morning, and the 4x RX 5700 XT rig was dead off, no lights from the riser cards, no fan noise, nothing.

Pushing power switch - nothing.

Holding power switch in for 5 seconds, then pressing power switch - nothing.

Unplugging cable from back of PSU, flipping PSU switch back and forth a few times, plugging it back in, and then pressing the power button in front - NOTHING!

The rig is acting dead-dead again. :(

I honestly don't know what's going on here.

I b
Classical user error but let’s blame AMD, as so many do :) it’s always easier to lay the blame on someone else, right.

DAPUNISHER

Super Moderator CPU Forum Mod and Elite Member
Super Moderator
Aug 22, 2001
Igor's Lab concluded the cracked dies are most likely due to contact pressure of the cooler. Other speculation adds that in combination with that issue, the possibility of manufacturing defects, and user error when doing a re-paste may have played a part with some of the physically damaged cards. The other potential issue for the non cracked dies, is PICNIC by installing the 22-12-1 drivers that are only for the 7 series cards. Which as Fabio of Ancient Gameplays speculated, is partly AMD's fault for allowing the driver to be installed on incompatible GPUs.

Khanan

Aug 27, 2017
Igor's Lab concluded the cracked dies are most likely due to contact pressure of the cooler. Other speculation adds that in combination with that issue, the possibility of manufacturing defects, and user error when doing a re-paste may have played a part with some of the physically damaged cards. The other potential issue for the non cracked dies, is PICNIC by installing the 22-12-1 drivers that are only for the 7 series cards. Which as Fabio of Ancient Gameplays speculated, is partly AMD's fault for allowing the driver to be installed on incompatible GPUs.
Scratch this, it’s AMDs fault. If it rains outside, or if you forget to take the Pizza out of the oven and it burns to a crisp, it’s also AMDs fault. ;) However, if anything’s up with a Nvidia card its never Nvidias fault, it’s the fault of the manufacturer, windows, yourself, the weather outside, or supernatural circumstances, but no never Nvidias fault - opinions of PC users usually, paraphrased. The hate I see against AMD these days is ridiculous. Maybe they should really leave the market for a while and stick to compute GPUs just to stick it to the haters. I’d love to see it. 5000$ for a 5090 at release and everything else doubled as well.

Jul 27, 2020
AMD is getting a bit sloppy lately. Everything from the Zen 4 launch till now has not been that great. I hope there isn't any serious problem with the V-cache SKUs launch.

Khanan

Aug 27, 2017
AMD is getting a bit sloppy lately. Everything from the Zen 4 launch till now has not been that great. I hope there isn't any serious problem with the V-cache SKUs launch.
Hm no, that’s typical woes you have when launching a new platform, Intel has those too, see here’s the anti-AMD bias at play again.

Ampere and Ada weren’t perfect at launch as well, driver problems, yes. Power connector problems, hot VRAM on the backside, 3090s breaking, but AMDs fewer problems are overplayed.

The manufacturer of the ref cooler messed up production, not AMDs fault cause they don’t build them, but it’s AMDs fault of course per opinions of people that simply want to hate without using their brain for even one second. :)

This nonsense here which isn’t AMDs fault either, 99% not, and as long as there’s not any evidence it isn’t - but people are already pointing at AMD with no evidence at all in their hands.

Suddenly everything is negative with AMD, that’s how easily the mood of the mob swings. The hero of yesterday is the villain of tomorrow. Being reasonable is out, that’s a mind set people don’t have anymore. Let’s overdramatize everything :)

Suffice to say, the RDNA3 drivers are pretty good regarding the fact it’s a new architecture and not just a new iteration like Nvidia does since Maxwell times. Ada is just a barely changed and doubled Ampere, not exactly surprising the drivers are working well. AMD has to risk and do more cause they can’t afford to go the way Nvidia does, simply can’t produce huge 600mm2 GPUs for example. Need more performance, this won’t happen if you go the simple route.

Last edited:

Stuka87

Diamond Member
Dec 10, 2010
The other potential issue for the non cracked dies, is PICNIC by installing the 22-12-1 drivers that are only for the 7 series cards. Which as Fabio of Ancient Gameplays speculated, is partly AMD's fault for allowing the driver to be installed on incompatible GPUs.

Is he saying the driver is missing all the code for every other GPU?

Because looking at the download file size, its 590MB. Which is the same size as the 22.12.2 drivers, and the same size as the current 23.1.1 drivers. It would be really weird for AMD to release a driver that is outright incompatible with other GPUs, while also being the same exact size (eg: nothing was removed).

In AMD's release notes, it does specify that the changes are targeted at the 7900 series GPUs. This likely just means that there are no changes for other cards, not that there is no code for other cards. Especially considering the 22.12.2 and 23.1.1 are both WHQL drivers that are distributed through Windows, even though both say that they are for the 7900 series in the release notes.

Reactions: Khanan
Jul 27, 2020
I'm not really an Nvidia fan. I only have a used 3090 due to the 24GB VRAM. I also have a NIB 6800 XT. Not sure at the moment what I want to do with it. Maybe I can sell it at a slight profit and get an RX 7800 whenever that launches. I don't see myself getting a Geforce 4000 series card, other than the 4060 if that has 16GB VRAM. Otherwise, I will skip this Nvidia gen and be fine with the 3090.

Let's think about this for a second. Why would anyone go with AMD and not with the market leader? Because AMD gives us better value. And when AMD falters, our options get restricted because we hate the market leaders for being so monopolistic. It's less about hating AMD and more about being disappointed. It's being dismayed, oh no! We have to go with Intel or Nvidia again at a much higher price!

DAPUNISHER

Super Moderator
Aug 22, 2001
Is he saying the driver is missing all the code for every other GPU?

Because looking at the download file size, its 590MB. Which is the same size as the 22.12.2 drivers, and the same size as the current 23.1.1 drivers. It would be really weird for AMD to release a driver that is outright incompatible with other GPUs, while also being the same exact size (eg: nothing was removed).

In AMD's release notes, it does specify that the changes are targeted at the 7900 series GPUs. This likely just means that there are no changes for other cards, not that there is no code for other cards. Especially considering the 22.12.2 and 23.1.1 are both WHQL drivers that are distributed through Windows, even though both say that they are for the 7900 series in the release notes.
When I put in my 6800 it takes me to win11 22.11.2 546MB and just says Adrenalin Edition. When I put in the 7900X it takes me to 23.1.1 590MB released 1/11 and specifies for RX7900 series. If I put in any of the other currently supported GPUs, they all take me to the same Adrenalins. That makes it seem clear the 7900 series drivers are not meant to be used with previous generations. And are specific to RDNA3 only.

Khanan

Aug 27, 2017
When I put in my 6800 it takes me to win11 22.11.2 546MB and just says Adrenalin Edition. When I put in the 7900X it takes me to 23.1.1 590MB released 1/11 and specifies for RX7900 series. If I put in any of the other currently supported GPUs, they all take me to the same Adrenalins. That makes it seem to clearly be that the 7900 series drivers are not meant to be used with previous generations. And are specific to RDNA3 only.
It’s pretty obvious by the file size alone that the latter has added support for 7900 series or other improvements and the former doesn’t. I highly doubt it doesn’t support anything else, else it simply would not install with 6000 series. Drivers are a ancient thing and it’s made secure like this forever, but again, because we are talking about AMD people suspect AMD can’t get the most simple things right, ancient driver signatures and windows compatibility workings, which can not simply be circumvented just because you want it. If it installs on 6000 series it means it’s compatible as well. So if AMD said it’s only for 7000 series it’s a communication mistake, because the driver is compatible. They didn’t even care to make it a 7000 series only driver, it’s probably a lot of work to remove all the other parts of the driver so they didn’t. And no, it doesn’t mean it works then differently than any other older driver, it 99.9% uses an older driver for 6000 series and not the RDNA3 which isn’t even compatible. These packages contain multiple drivers.

Stuka87

Diamond Member
Dec 10, 2010
When I put in my 6800 it takes me to win11 22.11.2 546MB and just says Adrenalin Edition. When I put in the 7900X it takes me to 23.1.1 590MB released 1/11 and specifies for RX7900 series. If I put in any of the other currently supported GPUs, they all take me to the same Adrenalins. That makes it seem clear the 7900 series drivers are not meant to be used with previous generations. And are specific to RDNA3 only.

Yes, its clear those drivers have additional data in them. But it would actually be quite a bit of work to remove support for RDNA1 and 2 cards. And there just isn't reason for them to do that. And I bet, if somebody opened up the archive, they would find files for all their currently supported cards.

Khanan

Aug 27, 2017
Yes, its clear those drivers have additional data in them. But it would actually be quite a bit of work to remove support for RDNA1 and 2 cards. And there just isn't reason for them to do that. And I bet, if somebody opened up the archive, they would find files for all their currently supported cards.
Dude literally copied my post and pretended it’s his 😂

DAPUNISHER

Super Moderator
Aug 22, 2001
Cool. Doesn't explain why they have a driver package separate from every other currently supported retail generation. All of which share the same drivers. I also don't know if you guys are trying to enlighten me or argue with me? Because this isn't my BBQ, it's Fabio's. Perhaps he would engage with you concerning his hypothesis.

Khanan

Aug 27, 2017
I'm not really an Nvidia fan. I only have a used 3090 due to the 24GB VRAM. I also have a NIB 6800 XT. Not sure at the moment what I want to do with it. Maybe I can sell it at a slight profit and get an RX 7800 whenever that launches. I don't see myself getting a Geforce 4000 series card, other than the 4060 if that has 16GB VRAM. Otherwise, I will skip this Nvidia gen and be fine with the 3090.

Let's think about this for a second. Why would anyone go with AMD and not with the market leader? Because AMD gives us better value. And when AMD falters, our options get restricted because we hate the market leaders for being so monopolistic. It's less about hating AMD and more about being disappointed. It's being dismayed, oh no! We have to go with Intel or Nvidia again at a much higher price!
4060 will 99% have 8GB, I doubt it will have more vram than 4070, but who knows maybe they’ll do another weird “3060”. At 8 GB however it’s not needed to double it again.

AMD is not here to make Nvidia cheaper so you can buy Nvidia, that’s not AMDs job or goal. Like I said, maybe they should go away and let’s see how people enjoy doubled GPU prices and zero alternatives aside from Intel 😂

edit: more like quadrupled gpu prices at this point.

Khanan

Aug 27, 2017
Cool. Doesn't explain why they have a driver package separate from every other currently supported retail generation. All of which share the same drivers. I also don't know if you guys are trying to enlighten me or argue with me? Because this isn't my BBQ, it's Fabio's. Perhaps he would engage with you concerning his hypothesis.
It wouldn’t be the first time I’m not agreeing with Fabio, he knows me well. His theory is fine, it’s just 99% wrong. As I explained, that’s not how windows drivers / driver signatures work. They will not install on incompatible hardware, they will not install at all then and give you a well known error message.

DAPUNISHER

Super Moderator
Aug 22, 2001
It wouldn’t be the first time I’m not agreeing with Fabio, he knows me well. His theory is fine, it’s just 99% wrong. As I explained, that’s not how windows drivers / driver signatures work. They will not install on incompatible hardware, they will not install at all then and give you a well known error message.
I don't have a card I am willing to potentially sacrifice for science. Or I'd install the 23.1.1 and play games to see if anything goes wrong. While Fabio may know you, I don't. I do know Stuka, a knowledgeable and helpful member. I have no doubt he is correct concerning the drivers. My only question is if those extra MB of code specific to the 7900 series can potentially harm older AMD cards by using them? Or if not harm, at least make unstable or buggy.

Reactions: igor_kavinski

Khanan

Aug 27, 2017
I don't have a card I am willing to potentially sacrifice for science. Or I'd install the 23.1.1 and play games to see if anything goes wrong. While Fabio may know you, I don't. I do know Stuka, a knowledgeable and helpful member. I have no doubt he is correct concerning the drivers. My only question is if those extra MB of code specific to the 7900 series can potentially harm older AMD cards by using them? Or if not harm, at least make unstable or buggy.
And he has only copied my opinion and pretended it’s his. 😂 Not exactly impressive.

Fabio mentioned in another video that he has already tried them with other (5000, 6000 series) cards and it worked normally.

Nice gate keeping in this community btw. One guy straight copying my post and pretending it’s his and another saying “I don’t know you I don’t trust you.” Wow, way to make someone new feel welcome.

Hitman928

Diamond Member
Apr 15, 2012

Typically no, the driver will identify the card and install the proper version/chunks. The extra/tweaked drivers will only be installed if an RDNA3 card is identified.

Reactions: DAPUNISHER

DAPUNISHER

Super Moderator
Aug 22, 2001
Typically no, the driver will identify the card and install the proper version/chunks. The extra/tweaked drivers will only be installed if an RDNA3 card is identified.
Thanks man, you are another one I fully trust for info. Could you speculate on why they chose to not roll support into the Adrenaline package all the other cards use? If you have the time of course.

• Haha
Reactions: Khanan

DAPUNISHER

Super Moderator
Aug 22, 2001
And he has only copied my opinion and pretended it’s his. 😂 Not exactly impressive.

Fabio mentioned in another video that he has already tried them with other (5000, 6000 series) cards and it worked normally.

Nice gate keeping in this community btw. One guy straight copying my post and pretending it’s his and another saying “I don’t know you I don’t trust you.” Wow, way to make someone new feel welcome.
I don't want you to feel unwelcome. It would be outstanding if you maybe stopped being 60 grit sandpaper until we get to know you. E.G. Accusing him of plagiarizing you when you don't know his post history is super abrasive stuff. I doubt he even read your reply before answering me.

Jul 27, 2020
Yes, the correct driver is probably being installed but AMD not making this driver available officially to RDNA2 users means that it has probably not been validated as much for RDNA2 hardware. What if the Adrenaline software has tweaks in it specific for RDNA3 and it is applying those tweaks to RDNA2 when people bypass AMD's basic download prevention and install the newer control panel on their older hardware?

Khanan

Aug 27, 2017
I don't want you to feel unwelcome. It would be outstanding if you maybe stopped being 60 grit sandpaper until we get to know you. E.G. Accusing him of plagiarizing you when you don't know his post history is super abrasive stuff. I doubt he even read your reply before answering me.
You doubt it, but it’s pretty obvious to me. “60 grit sandpaper” good one mate! :D