Question KrisFix Germany video on 6800 and 6900 cards dying while running Adrenaline 22.11.2

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Puffnstuff

Lifer
Mar 9, 2005
Hey guys I ran across his video tonight and was wondering if anybody has encountered this issue with the latest whql adrenaline driver? I have an AIB 6900 XT and run it but haven't seen anything weird apart from the normal stuff like the card randomly drops signal to my 2nd UW monitor. He's got over 50 cards as of his video and all died running the new driver irrespective of their individual use cases which were all different.

coercitiv

Diamond Member
Jan 24, 2014
Yikes. I was expecting to need to squint to see some micro-cracking!

This isn't the common failure mode is it? Or did he peel the surface away looking for cracks?
I only posted one of the pics as I was in a hurry this morning. Here's one with the heatsink:

krisfix-n21-b.jpg

I'm at a complete loss of what's happening here since on one hand these appear to be pictures of the same card, yet the chip in the video did not appear to be cracked in half, with one large part missing.

I wish the pics were accompanied by some details.

Khanan

Aug 27, 2017
What if this whole thing is staged by Nvidia? They paid off a bunch of different users to send deliberately damaged cards to that repair guy, to generate negative press about AMD's quality. They want their 4080s to sell!
Possible, or a Nvidia fan influenced campaign. I highly doubt this to be valid but we will see if major publications pick this up or don’t pick it up.

Reactions: Zepp and Leeea

Leeea

Diamond Member
Apr 3, 2020
Hey guys I ran across his video tonight and was wondering if anybody has encountered this issue with the latest whql adrenaline driver?
Nope.

I have an AIB 6900 XT and run it but haven't seen anything weird apart from the normal stuff like the card randomly drops signal to my 2nd UW monitor.
reference rx6900xt here, no issues at all, 2nd monitor signal all fine all the time

He's got over 50 cards as of his video and all died running the new driver irrespective of their individual use cases which were all different.
I do not believe youtube videos from random people.

They have a large monetary incentive to get attention by any means necessary. Look at MLID, he will say whatever it takes to get people to view his video so he can collect his $0.018 per view.

If this guy gets his video viral he will make a lot of money.

What if this whole thing is staged by Nvidia? They paid off a bunch of different users to send deliberately damaged cards to that repair guy, to generate negative press about AMD's quality. They want their 4080s to sell!
While nvidia has a history of scummy behavior, greed on this repair guys part is an easier explanation.

edit:
Interestingly enough, in Germany apparently video card warranty is two years. Registration grants an additional 3rd year:
https://www.reddit.com/r/pcmasterrace/comments/54m23z/gpu_warranty_spreadsheet_compiled_from_german/
Sending a card that should be under warranty to a repair guy suggests warranty voided for some reason.

Last edited:

biostud

Lifer
Feb 27, 2003
Nope.

reference rx6900xt here, no issues at all, 2nd monitor signal all fine all the time

They have a large monetary incentive to get attention by any means necessary. Look at MLID, he will say whatever it takes to get people to view his video so he can collect his $0.018 per view.

While nvidia has a history of scummy behavior, greed on this repair guys part is an easier explanation.
Yup, don't believe everything you hear on the internet.

Could also be to see how much a bunch of gossip girls the gaming community is. :p

Heartbreaker

Diamond Member
Apr 3, 2006

He's a legitimate electronics repair facility in Germany. It's where der8auer sent a GPU to get fixed.

This is not the kind of video that will earn significant money. Not enough mainstream interest in GPU repair for that.

IMO, He is legitimately interested in getting more info to figure out what's going on.

Ideally, AMD would get involved as they likely have superior diagnostics for damage for their cards.

Leeea

Diamond Member
Apr 3, 2020
He's a legitimate electronics repair facility in Germany. It's where der8auer sent a GPU to get fixed.

This is not the kind of video that will earn significant money. Not enough mainstream interest in GPU repair for that.

IMO, He is legitimately interested in getting more info to figure out what's going on.

Ideally, AMD would get involved as they likely have superior diagnostics for damage for their cards.
Considering in Germany all these cards should be covered under warranty, AMD should already be involved. Having any of these cards sent to a repair shop is odd.

( I edited my post above with warranty information for Germany )
In Germany apparently video card warranty is two years. Registration grants an additional 3rd year:

Last edited:

Heartbreaker

Diamond Member
Apr 3, 2006
Considering in Germany all these cards should be covered under warranty, AMD should already be involved. Having any of these cards sent to a repair shop is odd.

( I edited my post above with warranty information for Germany )
In Germany apparently video card warranty is two years. Registration grants an additional 3rd year:

Thanks, I was curious about warranty.

I could see a lot of people failing to register. A 2 year warranty from the first batch would have expired by now.

This means AMD should also be getting plenty of these in RMA as well though, if just one repair outlet has so many.

Reactions: Leeea

DAPUNISHER

Super Moderator CPU Forum Mod and Elite Member
Super Moderator
Aug 22, 2001
@Leeea

Dude has already picked up a 1000 subs in the last 3hrs. Vid is almost at 40K views now. I would like to know why we haven't seen B roll of all the cards sent in, or any other details concerning the issue. This has all the ear marks of being a tempest in a teapot. All while his channel gets extraordinary attention. I think you called it, but only time will tell.

Khanan

Aug 27, 2017
@Leeea

Dude has already picked up a 1000 subs in the last 3hrs. Vid is almost at 40K views now. I would like to know why we haven't seen B roll of all the cards sent in, or any other details concerning the issue. This has all the ear marks of being a tempest in a teapot. All while his channel gets extraordinary attention. I think you called it, but only time will tell.
Videos like these aren’t rare in YouTube. It’s 99% nonsense and if I were AMD I would also sue this guy to the moon. Reasons why I care about YouTube less and less every day.

GodisanAtheist

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2006
First off, this is part of the reason I don't obsessively update drivers, NV or AMD. If my current driver is OK, I just keep using it into perpetuity until either there is a universal performance improvement driver or I have an issue with a game that a new driver might fix.

Secondly, I've speculated for a while that cards built during the pandemic might end up with higher than normal failure rates due to manufacturers quietly or not so quietly subbing in lower quality low level parts in order to meet production quotas. Caps/mosfets/resistors/whatever that normally would have a MTBF of 1 million hours got subbed with parts that are good for 500K hours. Parts with larger voltage/amperage fluctuation tolerances got subbed with lower quality parts with very narrow tolerances, etc.

Its possible that now after a couple years those chickens are coming home to roost and we may start seeing more and more card failures of the prior gen across the board.

An interesting meta analysis would be seeing how many failed cards per manufactured card were built in 2020 vs 2021 vs 2022. I'd bet a disproportionately large number of the failures are coming from late 2021 models.

Reactions: Ranulf and Leeea

DAPUNISHER

Super Moderator
Aug 22, 2001
Videos like these aren’t rare in YouTube. It’s 99% nonsense and if I were AMD I would also sue this guy to the moon. Reasons why I care about YouTube less and less every day.
I think it is premature to lynch mob this dude. He may have discovered a manufacturing defect for a particular PCB or even just certain runs. Who knows? Covid 19 has wrought havoc on production and skilled workers. Anything could have happened. The driver going full malware resulting in card deaths would fit right in with AMD's bad luck Brian vibe though. Intel enters the GPU market, takes some share from AMD, and AMD finds a way to hand them more. THAT sounds like an AMD snatch defeat from the jaws of victory pro gamer move. :p

DAPUNISHER

Super Moderator
Aug 22, 2001
First off, this is part of the reason I don't obsessively update drivers, NV or AMD. If my current driver is OK, I just keep using it into perpetuity until either there is a universal performance improvement driver or I have an issue with a game that a new driver might fix.

Secondly, I've speculated for a while that cards built during the pandemic might end up with higher than normal failure rates due to manufacturers quietly or not so quietly subbing in lower quality low level parts in order to meet production quotas. Caps/mosfets/resistors/whatever that normally would have a MTBF of 1 million hours got subbed with parts that are good for 500K hours. Parts with larger voltage/amperage fluctuation tolerances got subbed with lower quality parts with very narrow tolerances, etc.

Its possible that now after a couple years those chickens are coming home to roost and we may start seeing more and more card failures of the prior gen across the board.

An interesting meta analysis would be seeing how many failed cards per manufactured card were built in 2020 vs 2021 vs 2022. I'd bet a disproportionately large number of the failures are coming from late 2021 models.
Do a set of deadlifts, respond to a post, and you posit the same thing I was typing. Sick minds think alike and all that. :beermug:

Khanan

Aug 27, 2017
I think it is premature to lynch mob this dude. He may have discovered a manufacturing defect for a particular PCB or even just certain runs. Who knows? Covid 19 has wrought havoc on production and skilled workers. Anything could have happened. The driver going full malware resulting in card deaths would fit right in with AMD's bad luck Brian vibe though. Intel enters the GPU market, takes some share from AMD, and AMD finds a way to hand them more. THAT sounds like an AMD snatch defeat from the jaws of victory pro gamer move. :p
I don’t think it’s premature. Something like this would’ve already made the news weeks and weeks ago everywhere, not just in a meaningless clickbait video in YouTube. Reddit, all tech websites, and proper YouTubers would’ve talked about it. But it’s nowhere, just this guy. 😂 A nobody with a highly fishy video. Please

Heartbreaker

Diamond Member
Apr 3, 2006
@Leeea

Dude has already picked up a 1000 subs in the last 3hrs. Vid is almost at 40K views now.

Yeah, he's probably already made almost $2. If this keeps up, he could make $10 or even $12 !

Plus we know sub 5 minute videos are great for packing ads in.

Massive incentive to make up a story about the cards he's trying to repair.

:rolleyes:

Last edited:

DAPUNISHER

Super Moderator
Aug 22, 2001
Yeah, he's probably already made almost $2.

Plus we know sub 5 minute videos are great for packing ads in.

Massive incentive to make up a story about the cards he's trying to repair.

:rolleyes:
Don't be so obtuse. One viral vid is often all it takes for a channel to catch fire and take off. The click bait is a small investment.

DAPUNISHER

Super Moderator
Aug 22, 2001
I don’t think it’s premature. Something like this would’ve already made the news weeks and weeks ago everywhere, not just in a meaningless clickbait video in YouTube. Reddit, all tech websites, and proper YouTubers would’ve talked about it. But it’s nowhere, just this guy. 😂 A nobody with a highly fishy video. Please
I agree with your thoughts. However, history has taught me the wisdom to not be too hasty, or you end up on the wrong side of it. ;)

SteveGrabowski

Diamond Member
Oct 20, 2014
I have two mining rigs with AMD RX 5700 XT and RX 5700 cards, as well, and both of those rigs are "dead" within a day of each other, within a few days of updating the drivers to newest Adrenaline a few weeks ago. They had been mining for over a year straight.

Are you talking 22.11.2 from December 8th or 22.11.1 from November 10th?

Khanan

Aug 27, 2017
I have two mining rigs with AMD RX 5700 XT and RX 5700 cards, as well, and both of those rigs are "dead" within a day of each other, within a few days of updating the drivers to newest Adrenaline a few weeks ago. They had been mining for over a year straight.

More worry-some, I have some rigs with RX 6600 cards, that after a recent driver update, they crashed, now the GPUs don't show up in Windows, even after a cold- boot.

So yeah, I've lost a NUMBER of RDNA1/RDNA2 cards, after a fairly recent driver update, seemingly. I have suspected a recent driver update, but was waiting for confirmation.

Edit: MSI Afterburner may have been installed on those rigs as well, and probably not as up-to-date as the drivers.

Could (maybe) be some sort of "bad" interaction between recent drivers and AB, that's pure speculation.

I've had fan-speed-stuck-at-zero (with GPU temps cresting 84C) problems with various Adrenaline drivers and the Nicehash client software running in Windows (seems like long-standing bug? Had that problem back in the day with R7 250X cards too), keeping AB running seems to sort of fix it.
Do you have any factual proof for that?

Heartbreaker

Diamond Member
Apr 3, 2006
Don't be so obtuse. One viral vid is often all it takes for a channel to catch fire and take off. The click bait is a small investment.

Don't be so ridiculous.

This is a boring dry repair video, from a legitimate repair business. It shows a guy measuring resistance across several points while speaking in monotone with repair bench image with a card lying on it. This is not the stuff of viral videos.

There is ZERO chance of this going viral, and no attempt maximize monetization (8 minute minimum for multi-ads).

This is not MLID where he has a 30 seconds worth of rumor and he pads it out with 20 minutes of rambling speculation to maximize ad impressions.

This is succinct, boring repair vid asking for additional feedback on a recent observed shift in repair frequency.

Reactions: VirtualLarry

Khanan

Aug 27, 2017
I have 22.11.2 with a 5700XT, dual displays, no issues. Anecdotal I know.

But I feel if this was some wide spread issue, it would have started popping up long before one repair person showed it.
Especially with 5700 XT there can’t be any issues suddenly appearing now, these cards are over 3 years old now. And a mining rig breaking down is nothing special either, he basically abused the cards until they broke.

Another point: there’s a high amount of 5700 XT (relatively high) appearing in Steam survey. I highly doubt they would appear there without any high downturn if they are all “breaking down” now. This can be said about other cards as well. Practically that’s already proof for his video being nonsense.

Khanan

Aug 27, 2017
Or a german mining operation shuts down > pulls cards > cleans cards > screws up cards > sells cards. New owners of secondhand hardware send broken card to local repair shop since not covered under warranty. Keeps the number of cards affected both high and isolated.
Yes and the possibility is also there that a lot of these allegedly broken cards are ex mining cards. AMDs fault? Hardly. Don’t buy ex - miner cards or be aware that you have a risk then.

PCBs of AMD cards have high quality btw, so this video never made any sense and a driver being so faulty to destroy cards is also impossible, why, I’ve seen videos about these drivers, they work the same as the older ones, nothing special, nothing magical that destroys cards. 😂

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Especially with 5700 XT there can’t be any issues suddenly appearing now, these cards are over 3 years old now. And a mining rig breaking down is nothing special either, he basically abused the cards until they broke.
Neither of those statements are true.

If there's some sort of glitch in the drivers, like not limiting the PCI-E slot power draw properly, it could affect all RDNA cards.

And I DO NOT "abuse" my cards. I have them carefully tuned to lower power usage and temps.

I just find it kind of strange, being an experienced miner for a number of years, to suddenly start loosing RDNA rigs left and right after updating drivers, while the only rigs that I have left running are my NVidia-based rigs.

Given my experience, Occam's razor says that it indeed is the drivers.

Khanan

Aug 27, 2017
Neither of those statements are true.

If there's some sort of glitch in the drivers, like not limiting the PCI-E slot power draw properly, it could affect all RDNA cards.

And I DO NOT "abuse" my cards. I have them carefully tuned to lower power usage and temps.

I just find it kind of strange, being an experienced miner for a number of years, to suddenly start loosing RDNA rigs left and right after updating drivers, while the only rigs that I have left running are my NVidia-based rigs.
Still waiting for your proof.

proof of you owning the cards

a ton of data proving that you used the drivers and that they changed anything with the behavior of your cards.

And then I don’t see the reasoning why a miner should upgrade all his drivers to a new one. Pretty unnecessary, and a possible risk (no not magical destruction of cards via a harmless driver that works like all the others).

Anyway, you dodged my inquiry for proof, so there’s that. :)

edit: what are you even allegedly mining these days? Last time I checked mining was dead.