Kingdoms Of Amalur: Reckoning(Released on February 7th)

Page 15 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

cytoSiN

Platinum Member
Jul 11, 2002
Shows as $38.98 for me.

Yeah I was showing Amazon's Prime price. You can get it "through" Amazon for as low as $35 right now, but you'll likely pay shipping and some of those other vendors seem somewhat shady. If you want to buy it FROM Amazon for free 2-day shipping (if you have a Prime account), it's now down to $41.45 with Prime.

Mem

Lifer
Apr 23, 2000
74 hours so far played and still far from finished,surprising how there is a lot of hidden quests you can find by exploring all areas and inside of buildings etc..

mirandu04

Aug 29, 2011
74 hours so far played and still far from finished,surprising how there is a lot of hidden quests you can find by exploring all areas and inside of buildings etc..
i know what you mean;
played around 60 hours or so and i still find a quest or two in some starting regions!

Mem

Lifer
Apr 23, 2000
180 quests completed with 93 playing hours and still not finished lol,don't know how some guys have finished this game already,anyway still got lots to do and my rogue/mage is more then a powerhouse then ever.

Stability wise still excellent so no complaints there,camera angles can be a pain sometimes with some mob fights but outcome is always the same ie they die I win :) .

Not used reckoning mode for ages now,really don't need it when your character is a powerhouse.

stevty2889

Diamond Member
Dec 13, 2003
I WAS thoroughly enjoying the game up until I got the weapons/armor pack DLC. I bought the DLC on origin, but apparently, the account that my game was on, wasn't the same account that the DLC was assigned to. Apparently my Origin account and EA account weren't the same account, even though they were on the same email address. They "fixed it" by moving Kingdoms of Amalur to the account that was assigned to my EA account, saying that the other account was corrupt. Now the game won't start and I've spent the last three days chatting with EA customer support, and getting nowhere..completely removed Origin and the game, and re-installed, and it still won't launch. Veeeeeeeeeeery frustrated with EA right now.

Mem

Lifer
Apr 23, 2000
I tried to play the demo and it wouldn't even work correctly.

What was the problem?..

Btw reached level cap of 40,also done 104 playing hours and still not finished with 196 quests completed,I notice the task quests are repeatable so they never actually get removed after completion.

Anubis

No Lifer
Aug 31, 2001
tbqhwy.com
180 quests completed with 93 playing hours and still not finished lol,don't know how some guys have finished this game already,anyway still got lots to do and my rogue/mage is more then a powerhouse then ever.

Stability wise still excellent so no complaints there,camera angles can be a pain sometimes with some mob fights but outcome is always the same ie they die I win :) .

Not used reckoning mode for ages now,really don't need it when your character is a powerhouse.

reckoning mode is great for EXP bonuses on large packs of mobs or for cheezing a boss fight

i did 202 quests as well as 20 ish repeatable ones in ~63 hours

Mem

Lifer
Apr 23, 2000
reckoning mode is great for EXP bonuses on large packs of mobs or for cheezing a boss fight

i did 202 quests as well as 20 ish repeatable ones in ~63 hours

Just finished the main storyline with 105 hours played and 203 quests done and too many Task quests to remember.

I like the fact you can carry on playing after you have done the main storyline so its like Skyrim in that regard.

I guess I got my money's worth in playing hours for this game.
Anyway decent enough game not an epic or top RPG like some others but overall happy enough with it.

Jaiguru

Aug 13, 2007
Wow, you guys are putting a lot more time in to the game then I did. I just finished it last night at 31 hours played 125 quests complete and I reached lvl 38 as a Might/Sorc build. I guess I really didn't do that much exploring outside of finishing quests.

I do plan on starting a Finesse character later tonight. I'll probably try to take my time this go around and see what all I missed.

cytoSiN

Platinum Member
Jul 11, 2002
I can't help myself...I can't move on to a new zone until the current one is finished, or at least as finished as I can get it without moving on and being told to come back. I'm lvl 34 atm, full sorcery build, with 129 quests complete in 44 hours and I've done all of the forest and plains, but I still haven't finished the desert (two more subzones there) or crossed the ocean (except for the island quest, but NOT the siege yet). There is an INSANE amount of content in this game. Enough to keep me busy until ME3 drops, it seems. Good planning by EA...

Last edited:

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
I tried to play the demo and it wouldn't even work correctly.

demo is very buggy. turn off post processing if you get nothing but black screen.

for me, it will also crash some random time into the 45 minute free play section.

I've started that twice now--assuming that I will get more bonus items for full game, but I only ever get to unlocking the helmet, then a few quick missions, and crash!

tangerinesx

Feb 18, 2012
I'm playing a finesse/sorc character but still tweaking my build. Put 15 odd hours in, by the looks of it, I've got a lot more hours to enjoy!

isekii

Lifer
Mar 16, 2001
demo is very buggy. turn off post processing if you get nothing but black screen.

for me, it will also crash some random time into the 45 minute free play section.

I've started that twice now--assuming that I will get more bonus items for full game, but I only ever get to unlocking the helmet, then a few quick missions, and crash!

When I went into the menu screen and exited out of it, it still had the menu screenshot up.

Game looked sweet in the commercial and what not but if i can't even demo it, not going to purchase it :(

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
When I went into the menu screen and exited out of it, it still had the menu screenshot up.

Game looked sweet in the commercial and what not but if i can't even demo it, not going to purchase it :(

same problem with me. post-processing should fix that, too.

turn off v-sync, and force GPU drivers, I think.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
well, I finally broke down and purcahsed it...at full price. :(

It is fun, though I'm bummed that i was never able to finish the demo as it would always crash soon after finishing one or two quests in the open play. As such, I don't think I got all the items--I do have the Chakrams, which I have already replaced, mostly, with some looted fellblades, the infernal helmet (can't wear it), and the Shepard gear. Maybe I'm not missing something...

Anyhoo, when do I get storage? I'm maxed out, trying to reserve my stuff for salvage rather than sell them, but I need to level up BS a bit. As such, I'm also poor...maybe I should just sell the lower level stuff regardless?

I went with one of the elf-looking thingies that has 2 pts in sagecraft to begin with--the plan is to go sneaky rogue mage. I'm at 9:8:3 magic:finesse:might right now.

Really want to get something better than the shepard set. While decent, and it does keep me alive, it is not the best thing for my build.

Mem

Lifer
Apr 23, 2000

It is fun, though I'm bummed that i was never able to finish the demo as it would always crash soon after finishing one or two quests in the open play. As such, I don't think I got all the items--I do have the Chakrams, which I have already replaced, mostly, with some looted fellblades, the infernal helmet (can't wear it), and the Shepard gear. Maybe I'm not missing something...

Anyhoo, when do I get storage? I'm maxed out, trying to reserve my stuff for salvage rather than sell them, but I need to level up BS a bit. As such, I'm also poor...maybe I should just sell the lower level stuff regardless?

I went with one of the elf-looking thingies that has 2 pts in sagecraft to begin with--the plan is to go sneaky rogue mage. I'm at 9:8:3 magic:finesse:might right now.

Really want to get something better than the shepard set. While decent, and it does keep me alive, it is not the best thing for my build.

When you get your houses you have plenty of storage space,I can point you towards the first one ie head over to Webwood,have to find the quest yourself however ;).

Max out blacksmithing too and you be able to make yourself the best gear,that's what I did and save yourself a lot of money in repairs via repair kits,BS NPC charge way too much for repairs to your gear so stock up on repair kits.

Last edited:

cytoSiN

Platinum Member
Jul 11, 2002

Glad you finally broke down. I've really enjoyed my 50+ hours so far. You should sell all of the stuff you're saving to salvage. You get nothing for salvaging besides whatever the item breaks down into, and by the time you get your BS high enough to break down better equipment into better parts, you'll have much better gear to break down. Also, most people have MILLIONS of gold before they even leave the mainland, assuming you're being relatively thorough with quests, so there's no reason not to empty your bags as you go...you'll always have enough gold to buy gear and/or parts to craft better gear as you progress.

As for the starter gear, you will replace it very quickly no matter what your build, unless you're extremely unlucky with blue and purple drops.

As for skills, I suggest you max BS, Sagecraft, and Detect hidden, and then after that you can worry about the others. I also added enough points into alchemy to get the 4-ingredient perk so I can craft master potions, but I didn't bother to max it out to get all recipes since you'll buy or discover the ones you really want/need on your own. Persuasion is also a fun skill, but it doesn't directly translate to being OP like BS/sagecraft/detect hidden do.

Last edited:

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
It looks like ingredients do regrow, correct? I was avoided harvesting many of them because i have nothing in alchemy, and it was almost always instant fail.

But I 've since learned the value in grabbing whatever I can.

The most I have spent was some 900 gold for that dang greater healing potion for the first quest, as I couldn't make one myself. Took me a long time to break down and buy it, though.
:(

The starter weapons have been more than replaced, now to work on armor stuff...

and thanks for the noob tips!

cytoSiN

Platinum Member
Jul 11, 2002
It looks like ingredients do regrow, correct? I was avoided harvesting many of them because i have nothing in alchemy, and it was almost always instant fail.

But I 've since learned the value in grabbing whatever I can.

The most I have spent was some 900 gold for that dang greater healing potion for the first quest, as I couldn't make one myself. Took me a long time to break down and buy it, though.
:(

The starter weapons have been more than replaced, now to work on armor stuff...

and thanks for the noob tips!

Yep, they regrow. Pick what you can, if for no other reason than to sell it for profit to buy potions that you can't make.

Madia

May 2, 2006
DLC out tommorow.

I just bought this game and have played for a while and was wondering what the most fun build was. I was thinking of either going finesse with daggers or faeblades and bows or sorcery with chakrams and staffs. I'm thinking sorcery since the sneaking in the game is very slow. When I was playing as a rogue I'd always start with bow attacks since it takes so long to sneak and there's no speed upgrade. I've read from some that pure might is kind of boring. Any suggestions?