Kidney stones...

StinkyPinky

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2002
Anyone else get these? I currently have my second one. This one is much bigger than the previous one and too big to pass by itself, so i need to go in next week to get it shocked by some frequency gun to smash it into smaller pieces. Has anyone done this procedure before?

hardhat

Dec 4, 2011
I've had 3, but they have all passed. Not fun. Women say they can be more painful than childbirth.

todpod

Golden Member
Nov 10, 2001
I have three in the past, 2 passed, one they went after. Now I have a big one that hasn't moved but the Dr says they need to go after. They where going to use the gun thingy. They knocked me out, my heart decided to pause and they brought me back out without taking the stone. Once I get done seeing the cardiologist and do their test we get to try again, yeah

StinkyPinky

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2002
I have three in the past, 2 passed, one they went after. Now I have a big one that hasn't moved but the Dr says they need to go after. They where going to use the gun thingy. They knocked me out, my heart decided to pause and they brought me back out without taking the stone. Once I get done seeing the cardiologist and do their test we get to try again, yeah

:eek:

Best of luck. For mine they're just giving me a local.

todpod

Golden Member
Nov 10, 2001
Thanks, I just want to get it done, I am trying to plan a fishing trip to Canada and this is making me hesitate, ugh

StinkyPinky

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2002
Yeah i hear you. I just want this stone out even if it hurts like hell. Aches today

Denithor

Diamond Member
Apr 11, 2004
I've had two. First was awful, first symptom was shooting pain in right testicle. First thought was not kidney stone, that came later after a CT scan. Which showed a single 4 mm heading down left side and a "scattering" of smaller ones in the right kidney. Yay! More to come... Second was I guess one of the little guys, hurt but nowhere near as badly. Had another incident with pain in right testicle again recently, might have been another little one, unconfirmed. Haven't been able to catch any of these stones, unfortunately.

Been taking magnesium (citrate) supplement and quit drinking soda altogether (thinking this may be what caused). Fingers crossed, I don't want anymore big guys forming in there.

StinkyPinky

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2002
Killing me today...aching like hell. On codeine to try and manage it, just wish the hospital would hurry up.

Testicle pain is a new one for me, I never experienced that. Mine has been flank and side aches/shooting pain.

StinkyPinky

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2002
Well i did the shock thing yesterday, didn't seem to do crap. Not passing anything.

How such a small thing can cause such misery is beyond me.

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
Currently have a 2CM stone asymptomatic, they say they can't use the ultrasound treatment, need a much more invasive treatment.

todpod

Golden Member
Nov 10, 2001
I get to try again next Wednesday, hopefully it goes better than last time.

todpod

Golden Member
Nov 10, 2001
Round 2 went much better than round 1. Everything appeared to go ok, heart held up. They will take some pictures next week to see if there is anything left.

rpanic

Golden Member
Dec 1, 2006
I have been getting them since I was a teen and I get one about every 5 years. Seem to be getting worse with age, the last one they had to put a catheter in me from my blader to my kidney that caused about as much pain as the stone for a week. I try to drink half to a full lemon every morning with water every morning to see if that helps. Also thinking about getting a season pass for Magic Mountain https://www.nytimes.com/2016/10/04/science/roller-coaster-kidney-stones.html

StinkyPinky

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2002
Interesting links!

Weirdly I have started passing chunks of the stone weeks after my treatment. Including a 4mm piece. I'm scheduled to go for another round this week but maybe they won't bother now. Guess I will see

todpod

Golden Member
Nov 10, 2001
Round 3 is over, reblasted and removed the stent. Hopefully that's it

StinkyPinky

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2002
They did another x-ray today, i have a 5.8mm stone right near the bladder. It's probably been there weeks although i haven't really felt it. He said give it a few more weeks and then they may need to "go up" to remove it themselves.

Time for a lot of skip rope i think.....

Mai72

Lifer
Sep 12, 2012
Drink lemonade. Crystal light is fine. Natural citrate which is known to prevent kidney stones is in limeade and lemonade. I eat a lot of foods that cause kidney stones like dark chocolate and spinach. I'm always drinking lemonade a d have been kidney stone free.

*Knock on wood.

Reactions: rpanic

eshanpatel

Mar 7, 2019
And some more interesting, semi-related information:

https://www.dddmag.com/news/2016/08/researchers-propose-new-treatment-prevent-kidney-stones?

Could be great news for those of us suffering with this condition. Assuming they are able to get it out within the next few years, rather than 20 years in the future.
Knowledgeable and interesting information in the article. Even I suffered from kidney stone pain a few months back. Unfortunately, I had surgical treatment because the stone size was very big. But yeah, after that now I am okay and has been almost recovered.

whm1974

Diamond Member
Jul 24, 2016
Drink lemonade. Crystal light is fine. Natural citrate which is known to prevent kidney stones is in limeade and lemonade. I eat a lot of foods that cause kidney stones like dark chocolate and spinach. I'm always drinking lemonade a d have been kidney stone free.

*Knock on wood.
I never had kidney stones, but I do drinks lots of soda, so maybe I should start drinking limeade or lemonade instead to prevent them.

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
Apparently, there are (at least?) two main types of kidney stones, calcium - the most common - and potassium. They don't know which you have until they remove it and have it analyzed. Different diets affect each of those.

paperfist

Diamond Member
Nov 30, 2000
www.the-teh.com
Apparently, there are (at least?) two main types of kidney stones, calcium - the most common - and potassium. They don't know which you have until they remove it and have it analyzed. Different diets affect each of those.

My doc always told me to stop drinking Gatorade because it kept causing the potassium kind.

I’m surprised in reading about some of the guys here having them and still being able to function.

Mine always felt like a heart attack, cold sweat, unbelievable extremity pain, shaking and the inability to move. God those things are brutal and I consider myself to have a high threshold for pain.

Mai72

Lifer
Sep 12, 2012
My doc always told me to stop drinking Gatorade because it kept causing the potassium kind.

I’m surprised in reading about some of the guys here having them and still being able to function.

Mine always felt like a heart attack, cold sweat, unbelievable extremity pain, shaking and the inability to move. God those things are brutal and I consider myself to have a high threshold for pain.

Try drinking a lot of water throughout the day. The issue most people have is that they don't drink enough water. It helps flush out toxins and will help prevent stones.

Reactions: paperfist

paperfist

Diamond Member
Nov 30, 2000
www.the-teh.com
Try drinking a lot of water throughout the day. The issue most people have is that they don't drink enough water. It helps flush out toxins and will help prevent stones.

I’ve definitely been ramping up water intake. I quit soda and sports drinks a few years ago, but still ended up with another stone.