Kidney stones...

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
lime JUICE helps prevent calcium stones from forming.
it does not break down any stones.
and limeade has too little acid and too much sugar to be of any help.

hardhat

Dec 4, 2011
I have a kidbey stone that needs to be removed because it could cause me to lose only kidney!
My Pulmonologist will not let them go in and get it, because they will have to put me under and I am not a candidate presently for any type of surgery!
We are working on improving my breathing. For the last few years my breathing has ben that of a 90 year old man! I am nor in some cardio/pulmonary exercise classes and they seem to be helping.
hopefully in the next 6 months I will be cleared for surgery!
Can't they try extracorporeal shockwave lithotripsy (ECSL)? That being said, if your lungs are that bad, you should definitely continue with the classes.

JEDIYoda

Lifer
Jul 13, 2005
Can't they try extracorporeal shockwave lithotripsy (ECSL)? That being said, if your lungs are that bad, you should definitely continue with the classes.
No because my only kidney is not good and (I am borderline stage 4 kidney disease) the shockwave therapy could damage it! Good suggestion though!!

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
Be careful of old wives' tales. There are four main types of Kidney stones, the most common calcium and uric acid another. For example, to avoid uric acid stones if you are prone to get them, it's good to avoid potassium - such as bananas. Doctors good.

Reactions: JEDIYoda

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
Lemonade and Limeade works for kidney stones. Maybe I should start drinking that. I also heared pure Unsweeten Cranberry juice works as well.
3 days ago I bought a 5lb bag of lemons ($6.99) at Costco. Yesterday I juiced the whole bag (one of my former housemates left an electric citrus juicer here), and the juice just exactly filled two ice cube trays. This morning I'm going to remove the cubes from the trays and place in containers for the freezer. I put one cube in a big plastic cup with 20oz water and about 1/8th teaspoon stevia for DIY lemonade. Last time I did this I grated the lemon rinds and placed that in a small jar in the freezer for those time I want lemon zest in a recipe.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Too much Gatorade you say can cause them? And Tea? That's what I drink all day, every day. And some water, and some Cola (grocery store house brand).

Scary stuff. Never had a stone yet, that I am aware of. I weight 400lbs. Two healthy kidneys, as far as I am aware, but I know the prescription meds that I'm on are probably bad for them. I hydrate heavily though, my pee is nearly always clear. In my mid-40s.

jaksonlee62

Banned
Mar 9, 2021
A small, hard deposit that forms in the kidneys and is often painful when passed.
Kidney stones are hard deposits of minerals and acid salts that stick together in concentrated urine. They can be painful when passing through the urinary tract, but usually don't cause permanent damage.
The most common symptom is severe pain, usually in the side of the abdomen, that's often associated with nausea.
Treatment includes pain relievers and drinking lots of water to help pass the stone. Medical procedures may be required to remove or break up larger stones.

Reactions: Muse

Noid

Platinum Member
Sep 20, 2000
Anyone else get these?

My 1st : June 10th, Ten hours of extreme pain, with four of them on the floor doubled up. Dry heaves and colored spots in my vision at times --- I had 3 or 4 more days of "attacks" until the morning of the 18th.

I still need this crystal analyzed ...

Attachments

• IMG_1936.JPG
    IMG_1936.JPG
    423.5 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_1925.JPG
    IMG_1925.JPG
    368.3 KB · Views: 12
  • Wow
Reactions: Muse

paperfist

Diamond Member
Nov 30, 2000
www.the-teh.com
My 1st : June 10th, Ten hours of extreme pain, with four of them on the floor doubled up. Dry heaves and colored spots in my vision at times --- I had 3 or 4 more days of "attacks" until the morning of the 18th.

Oooffhh those look way more painful then the ones I’ve had!

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
Those are calcium oxalate.
I know cuz thats what I always get. And they can be fought by making serious changes in your diet. The big one is processes sugar water, like coke and pepsi and also avoid those stupid energy drinks which dont do a damn thing except ruin your health.

Also theres a list of stuff to avoid, like almonds and okra. You can go look it up on the interwebs.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
570bf2414f5e073021ac71725388b52e.jpg

Torn Mind

Lifer
Nov 25, 2012

Just looking at those make me glad I've never had one.

Noid

Platinum Member
Sep 20, 2000
Just looking at those make me glad I've never had one.
That is only ONE stone ( photos of a single stone )
Um, yea .. it was BAD.

Spent all those days at home. Drinking ungodly amounts of water.
Using Pomegranate juice, Olive Oil, massage, Apple Cider vinegar, 1600mg IBRUPROFINE tablets, CBD gummies and sleep .... to pass it

Removed almonds ( and snack nuts ), hugely reduced black pepper, no more chips, no more chocolate, no more strawberries ( removing from my garden ), and choosing FRESH meats ( unprocessed ).
Re-learning how to shop grocery store. ( reading lol )
Daily 2 or 3 times a day -- water with Apple Cider vinegar.

There is legislation proposed to regulate salt in our foods ...

I will be getting some imaging done to see it I have more ...

Torn Mind

Lifer
Nov 25, 2012
That is only ONE stone ( photos of a single stone )
Um, yea .. it was BAD.

Spent all those days at home. Drinking ungodly amounts of water.
Using Pomegranate juice, Olive Oil, massage, Apple Cider vinegar, 1600mg IBRUPROFINE tablets, CBD gummies and sleep .... to pass it

Removed almonds ( and snack nuts ), hugely reduced black pepper, no more chips, no more chocolate, no more strawberries ( removing from my garden ), and choosing FRESH meats ( unprocessed ).
Re-learning how to shop grocery store. ( reading lol )
Daily 2 or 3 times a day -- water with Apple Cider vinegar.

There is legislation proposed to regulate salt in our foods ...

I will be getting some imaging done to see it I have more ...
I too had to wake up and change diet a bit after getting an abscess after teeth cleaning. I've lapsed on the commitment to go nearly sugar free. But I have been flossing and using a Waterpik to wash out my mouth after eating "dangerous" foods like sweets.

Jul 27, 2020
Wow. No one has mentioned watermelon and sweet melon so far. They helped me when I dealt with kidney stones almost 15 years ago. It was my fault. Drank lots of banana milkshake (think liters!) per day and ate fries with that. Yummy as heck but unhealthy as heck too. Paid the price with the worst stabbing pain of my life in my right ureter as a stone tried to pass through. Ultrasound showed my kidneys were filled with gravel. A good doctor (family friend) told me to drink minimum three liters of water per day and I ate watermelon and sweet melon per my father's advice and a month later, my kidney scans showed no evidence that gravel was ever in them.

Last edited:
Reactions: Noid

Justinus

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 2005

Stone bros! My second, this one took two ER visits across 4 weeks to pass. I was only days away from the yank-it-out surgery because it was being a persistent little fucker.

He really did a number on my ureter when he finally came out because it still hurts now, 5 weeks later, and I still occasionally get blood on the multistix test strips. I take blood thinners though, so it's probably a factor.

When the stone first made itself known, due to my blood thinners, my pee looked like this red PC coolant for an entire day.

This was the first medical emergency I've had since I started taking the blood thinners in 2019, so it was a real trip.

Screenshot_20210607-103047__01.jpg

processed-2.jpeg

Last edited:

Iron Woode

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 10, 1999

sounds like my first and second kidney stones.

The second one was a 5mm stone that gave a whole new meaning to the term excruciating.

The only thing that killed the pain was toradol. I also took flomax to dilate the ureter to help it move. 4 Days of hell.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
Interesting. I've actually cut back on that bad stuff and not on the good stuff... not intentionally, I had no idea about this chart's info. Also, AFAIK, I've never had kidney stones. But I don't ignore the issue because of all the testimonies of agony. Fingers crossed.