Just took the plunge in the future of lawn mowers

Fritzo

Lifer
Jan 3, 2001
My 2006 Yard Machine tractor mower just blew a piston (it was pretty dramatic....smoke, fire, shrapnel...the whole 9 yards). Did a lot of research and convinced myself to get a battery powered ZTR mower.

I present-----THE GREEN MACHINE

1623860336787.png

It will do 2+ acres on a single charge, they're very quiet, and there's no gas/belts/oil/engine to deal with. Anyone have one to give their experience? YouTube reviews all seem to be very positive. Supposed to be delivered in two weeks. Seems like Ryobi was one of the first to market with electric mowers and the big names are all playing catchup. I have a battery Greenworks Pro push mower that's been fantastic, so I'm eager to try this thing out :)

Nov 8, 2012
lol the future is having a roomba for your lawn, none of this do-it-yourself bullshit :p

Until then I'll take the outsourcing method. Fock being outside for 2 hours straight in weather that feels like 115.

Reactions: BudAshes

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
I've had a Ryobi 40V push mower for 3 years now, been happy with it. Unless I've been slacking, one 5Ah battery is usually enough to do the yard, but I have a 2.6Ah for backup and running the string trimmer.

Feb 4, 2009
I've had a Ryobi 40V push mower for 3 years now, been happy with it. Unless I've been slacking, one 5Ah battery is usually enough to do the yard, but I have a 2.6Ah for backup and running the string trimmer.

Been wanting the Ryobi string trimmer. Cord is a pain in the ass and my yard isn’t big enough to deal with the hassles of gas.
How long does the battery last in the trimmer give or take number is fine.

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
Been wanting the Ryobi string trimmer. Cord is a pain in the ass and my yard isn’t big enough to deal with the hassles of gas.
If you're just doing regular spot work (edges of the yard by fences, etc), the 2.6Ah does 45 minutes plus, I'd say.
I'm moving into a new place, and they didn't mow the back yard from the time I last viewed it until closing (so probably about 6 weeks), I used the 5Ah to knock the knee-high grass down to mowable height, it held up to an hour of that.

Reactions: Fanatical Meat
Nov 8, 2012

I recommend going with whomever you use for power tools that has a universal batteries.

Started off with DeWalt driver + drill - moved on to other things like blower, hedge trimmer, chainsaw, longer chainsaw for trees, an outdoor bluetooth speaker, and some work lights...... All of these I can hot swap eachothers batteries outs at anytime with eachother. Definitely handy.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
Yeah I was foolish enough to get some Bosch tools and eventually I learned all their lawn and garden shit is only sold in Europe.
Now I've gotta make a decision as to how to proceed.

Feb 4, 2009
I recommend going with whomever you use for power tools that has a universal batteries.

Started off with DeWalt driver + drill - moved on to other things like blower, hedge trimmer, chainsaw, longer chainsaw for trees, an outdoor bluetooth speaker, and some work lights...... All of these I can hot swap eachothers batteries outs at anytime with eachother. Definitely handy.

yeah that is the plan, been replacing random hand me down stuff with Ryobi.
I really liked Lowes Cobalt tools but a few problems:
Home Depot is far more convenient for me
I hate Lowe’s
Cobalt at the time didn’t appear to have as much variety

45 minutes of run time should work fine for my needs. I need around 30 minutes, more if I slack off, less if I keep on top of it.

JM Aggie08

Diamond Member
Jan 3, 2006
lol the future is having a roomba for your lawn, none of this do-it-yourself bullshit :p

Until then I'll take the outsourcing method. Fock being outside for 2 hours straight in weather that feels like 115.

Until little Jacob makes his way into your yard and loses a god damn foot!

dank69

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009

The biggest hurdle for these is setting up the boundaries, especially for irregular yards.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
yeah that is the plan, been replacing random hand me down stuff with Ryobi.
I really liked Lowes Cobalt tools but a few problems:
Home Depot is far more convenient for me
I hate Lowe’s
Cobalt at the time didn’t appear to have as much variety

45 minutes of run time should work fine for my needs. I need around 30 minutes, more if I slack off, less if I keep on top of it.
Kobalt.

And by the way that big fancy Kobalt snow blower I got in 2018 was build like crap. I got maybe two good jobs out of it, the fuckin thing broke, Lowes refused to support it, no one in town could fix the damn thing, and I finally tossed it a couple months ago. 599 bucks in the garbage. plus tax.

herm0016

Diamond Member
Feb 26, 2005
robot is the future. it will be my next mower. but it will have to figure out not running over the dogs, cat, chickens, turkeys, dog toys, can open and close a gate, get across the driveway. i would love an electric zero turn, but I worry about the power when the grass is longer, and for touching up the edges of the field, the ditch, etc after brushhogging with the real tractor. in fact, I would love an electric real tractor to replace my 25 hp with front loader and 3 point attachments for mowing/plowing/ripping but that will be a bit further off than a mower.

cub cadet and e-go have electric zero turns also, and several others are saying they are working on it. there is one professional level, Mean Green, but pricy.

Nov 8, 2012
The biggest hurdle for these is setting up the boundaries, especially for irregular yards.

Heh, thats funny - I always figured the biggest hurdle is preventing theft.

Definitely while they are thousands of dollars - but even when it's a hundred dollars... Just saw articles of people stealing catalytic converter underneath vehicles at the mall again. Joyful.

thestrangebrew1

Diamond Member
Dec 7, 2011
Ryobi? Be prepared to be disappointed. It may work well when it's new...but my experience with Ryobi power tools is that they don't hold up well.

I have a Ryobi impact drill that has served me well for at least 3 years now. Battery still goes strong and I use it for stuff around the house pretty much weekly. However, I bought a pole saw a few years ago and I'm looking for another. The Ryobi chain keeps slipping and the battery it came with died.

dank69

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
Heh, thats funny - I always figured the biggest hurdle is preventing theft.

Definitely while they are thousands of dollars - but even when it's a hundred dollars... Just saw articles of people stealing catalytic converter underneath vehicles at the mall again. Joyful.
I have my drone army to protect against theft.

Fritzo

Lifer
Jan 3, 2001

I've had two Roomba's for 4 years. They still don't vacuum is well as a regular vacuum. My neighbor has a Husqvarna robot mower and it will do OK with perfectly squared areas, but he can't use it for his back yard.

There's a company called Graze that's going nuts making a commercial mower drone, but it's a little while off yet. If they take off maybe they'll make a residential version:

1623867807118.png

Fritzo

Lifer
Jan 3, 2001
I have a Ryobi impact drill that has served me well for at least 3 years now. Battery still goes strong and I use it for stuff around the house pretty much weekly. However, I bought a pole saw a few years ago and I'm looking for another. The Ryobi chain keeps slipping and the battery it came with died.

Same. I have a whole collection of Ryobi lawn tools and power tools. My 18V drill is going on 5 years old now and I use it every week. Batteries seem to last 3-4 years. Their new 40V Expand-it lawn tool line is awesome!

Feb 4, 2009
I've had two Roomba's for 4 years. They still don't vacuum is well as a regular vacuum. My neighbor has a Husqvarna robot mower and it will do OK with perfectly squared areas, but he can't use it for his back yard.

There's a company called Graze that's going nuts making a commercial mower drone, but it's a little while off yet. If they take off maybe they'll make a residential version:

View attachment 45856

Our Shark vacuum kicks ass.
However I agree if wife or I vacuumed more often it would be better results, however neither of us vacuum regularly so the sharks cleaning is far superior.