Just got back from the Trump rally/protest

Page 15 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

shady28

Platinum Member
Apr 11, 2004
LOL now we have a couple seconds of animated gifs as your evidence. That's top notch stuff!

The icing on the cake is that I'm being told I twist things to support my preferred outcome by a 9/11 truther. You are hilarious.

First of all, I'm not a 9/11 truther, so that's another lie.

Second of all, the Gifs prove demonstrably that your post is a significant distortion at best and really is an outright lie since the events leading up to it were already pointed out.

But keep on doing that. Whatever 'cause' you think you have gets undermined every time some dimwit such as yourself posts something intentionally misleading and deceptive.

buckshot24

Diamond Member
Nov 3, 2009
Oh now you're going to play the 'who, me?' game? Nice.

You told someone you would be physically near them soon and if they wanted to insult you they could say it to your face. I could report you for a threat of violence easily for that. Grow up.
I'm a big teddy bear. I wouldn't lay a hand on anybody but I do know that he wouldn't be saying the things he says on the internet in person.

buckshot24

Diamond Member
Nov 3, 2009
No it isn't. You don't understand what a fallacy is. Don't try to use things you don't understand.
Yes it is a fallacy, you're trying to discredit him because of another position that you think he holds. This is text book. If he was a 9/11 truther it has nothing to do with this discussion.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Yes it is a fallacy, you're trying to discredit him because of another position that you think he holds. This is text book. If he was a 9/11 truther it has nothing to do with this discussion.

I was not trying to discredit him because of him being a 9/11 truther. I was mocking him for being a 9/11 truther.

Again, you don't know what a fallacy is.

shady28

Platinum Member
Apr 11, 2004
I was not trying to discredit him because of him being a 9/11 truther. I was mocking him for being a 9/11 truther.

Post a link showing I'm a 9/11 truther or redact.

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001
I'm a big teddy bear. I wouldn't lay a hand on anybody but I do know that he wouldn't be saying the things he says on the internet in person.
Most people wouldn't. That's the biggest problem with the internet. It has laid waste to good manners and common courtesy.

buckshot24

Diamond Member
Nov 3, 2009

He says you're wrong, do you have the integrity to support your assertion or will you retract it?

Mocking the person is a way to discredit him.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Post a link showing I'm a 9/11 truther or redact.

You right, I had you mixed up with another ultra right wing guy, sm625.

That aside, the fact that you think two gifs like that could accurately represent what happened there is mind bogglingly stupid as I said originally, especially when you have eyewitness accounts saying there was a lot more going on.

You're just picking the information that makes you feel good. You're certainly welcome to do that, but you should at least acknowledge what you're doing.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
He says you're wrong, do you have the integrity to support your assertion or will you retract it?

Mocking the person is a way to discredit him.

Mocking someone is something entirely different than saying his argument is wrong because he is a truther, which I never did. You are text book wrong on that being a logical fallacy. Will you have the integrity to admit it?

My guess is no. You are simply not an honest person.

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001
So defending yourself is a criminal act? Or just when being attacked by people with darker skin higher on the oppression scale than yourself?
There is always the option to not escalate an already bad situation. Unfortunately, your line of reasoning prohibits that. So where do you suppose this is going to lead? And why do I suspect that that is what Trump wants?
I haven't mentioned race at any time in thread.

buckshot24

Diamond Member
Nov 3, 2009
:thumbsup:

That aside, the fact that you think two gifs like that could accurately represent what happened there is mind bogglingly stupid as I said originally, especially when you have eyewitness accounts saying there was a lot more going on.
It isn't a full picture but you have two guys that ended up getting sprayed throwing things into crowds. If that first can was full that could have caused significant damage to whoever it hit. The second throw looked like a floater to me.
You're just picking the information that makes you feel good. You're certainly welcome to do that, but you should at least acknowledge what you're doing.
The Gawker post didn't accurately represent what happened either. Didn't stop you from posting it. Can you look in the mirror for once?

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
:thumbsup:

It isn't a full picture but you have two guys that ended up getting sprayed throwing things into crowds. If that first can was full that could have caused significant damage to whoever it hit. The second throw looked like a floater to me.
The Gawker post didn't accurately represent what happened either. Didn't stop you from posting it. Can you look in the mirror for once?

I already said that in an earlier posting, that 40 second videos don't show what happened accurately, which is why my position from the start is that both sides are acting poorly. The Gawker post was simply to show that pro-Trump protesters are frequently violent as well, which is true.

buckshot24

Diamond Member
Nov 3, 2009
Mocking someone is something entirely different than saying his argument is wrong because he is a truther, which I never did. You are text book wrong on that being a logical fallacy. Will you have the integrity to admit it?

My guess is no. You are simply not an honest person.
It doesn't need to be explicit. You're mocking him to discredit him. This was a fallacy.

Do you think you have to say "he's wrong because he's xyz" in order for it to be fallacious? Just bringing it up in this context is enough. You're trying to undermine him.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
It doesn't need to be explicit. You're mocking him to discredit him. This was a fallacy.

Do you think you have to say "he's wrong because he's xyz" in order for it to be fallacious? Just bringing it up in this context is enough. You're trying to undermine him.

I'll take that as a 'no, I don't have the integrity to admit it'.

Don't ask other people to admit when they are wrong if you're unable to do so yourself. It's simply adding to your overall dishonesty and lack of character.

buckshot24

Diamond Member
Nov 3, 2009
I already said that in an earlier posting, that 40 second videos don't show what happened accurately, which is why my position from the start is that both sides are acting poorly. The Gawker post was simply to show that pro-Trump protesters are frequently violent as well, which is true.
But where does anybody say those gifs are supposed to be representing the situation accurately? All it shows is that the two guys throwing things ended up getting sprayed.

buckshot24

Diamond Member
Nov 3, 2009
I'll take that as a 'no, I don't have the integrity to admit it'.

Don't ask other people to admit when they are wrong if you're unable to do so yourself. It's simply adding to your overall dishonesty and lack of character.
I'm not wrong. You bringing up the 9/11 truther aspect was a fallacy. You're wrong.

shady28

Platinum Member
Apr 11, 2004

You always attack people for your own preconceived notions and projections, which frankly sounds like a mental problem you have. I'm not ultra right-wing by any measure. I couldn't care less about most social issues like LGBT, transgender bathrooms, or welfare. Sure I think some of them are dumb, but I don't really care if a woman wants to use the men's restroom, Democrats are welcome to fall on their own sword with that one.

My main political issues are illegal immigration, H1B/H2B visa abuse, outsourcing, and related trade agreements which are bad for US workers (but good for big corporate profits). My only social issue is gun rights, which is not really even a social issue as much as a constitutional one.

Sanders for example, only misses on one of those for me, which is why I could see myself voting for him against say Jeb Bush.

Trump just so happens to punch the ticket for all my main issues. Watching the left defend violent thuggish behavior just solidifies that thought process.

And just to point out the complete fallacy of your thought process, was the guy with the pepper spray a Trump supporter? How do you know he was, or did you just assume that?

I really don't know, it's not clear at all from what I see as he's in the wrong crowd, maybe it's someone on 'your' side policing their own? Did you just assume he's a Trump supporter because he's white? I think there's a word for that, on yeah, racism.

werepossum

Elite Member
Jul 10, 2006
Wow, nice attempt at distortion of the facts to fit your political view, sparky. You're really expert at that.

But just to make it clear, here's the part that you and your lefty link decided didn't matter.

The 2 anti-trump fascist thugs who got pepper sprayed are jumping in the air throwing what look like full cans of something at the trump people. What ever they are throwing has some weight - note when it hits the sign and bowls it over. Black guy in green t-shirt, and mexican in grey hoodie.

GXZLo3p.gif

A few seconds later :

ue9dhiZ.gif
Wow. Pepper spray was remarkable restrained.

We're so bad everyone wants to live with us. :(
Yep. Sometimes I think the only people missing America's greatness are the Americans.

And to the 'conservatives,' the bad people are the 'other' Americans.

You used to be smarter than this, possum.
And you used to be sane and honest. We're all getting old. lol

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
You always attack people for your own preconceived notions and projections, which frankly sounds like a mental problem you have. I'm not ultra right-wing by any measure. I couldn't care less about most social issues like LGBT, transgender bathrooms, or welfare. Sure I think some of them are dumb, but I don't really care if a woman wants to use the men's restroom, Democrats are welcome to fall on their own sword with that one.

I'm sorry to hear that you think I have a mental problem. I'm sure your degree in internet psychology must be reaping you enormous rewards in private practice, haha.

My main political issues are illegal immigration, H1B/H2B visa abuse, outsourcing, and related trade agreements which are bad for US workers (but good for big corporate profits). My only social issue is gun rights, which is not really even a social issue as much as a constitutional one.

Sanders for example, only misses on one of those for me, which is why I could see myself voting for him against say Jeb Bush.

Trump just so happens to punch the ticket for all my main issues. Watching the left defend violent thuggish behavior just solidifies that thought process.

Most of the things you just mentioned are commonly associated with the extreme right. Trade agreements are one area where the extreme right and the extreme left do tend to meet though, so I'll give you that. Trade protectionism is fundamentally stupid, but it's a stupidity shared by both ends of the spectrum.

And just to point out the complete fallacy of your thought process, was the guy with the pepper spray a Trump supporter? How do you know he was, or did you just assume that?

I really don't know, it's not clear at all from what I see as he's in the wrong crowd, maybe it's someone on 'your' side policing their own? Did you just assume he's a Trump supporter because he's white? I think there's a word for that, on yeah, racism.

Nice job attacking someone for your own preconceived notions and projections. ;)

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
I'm not wrong. You bringing up the 9/11 truther aspect was a fallacy. You're wrong.

I did not say his argument was wrong because he was a truther. Therefore by textbook definition it is not a logical fallacy. There is no way around this.

Have even the smallest amount of integrity for once. It's okay to admit you said something wrong.

buckshot24

Diamond Member
Nov 3, 2009
I did not say his argument was wrong because he was a truther. Therefore by textbook definition it is not a logical fallacy. There is no way around this.

Have even the smallest amount of integrity for once. It's okay to admit you said something wrong.
Ad hominem fallacy doesn't require an explicit statement like this to apply.

"You would say this since you're a liberal."

This is a fallacy as well. I didn't need to say you are wrong because you're a liberal. Keep doubling down on stupid.

werepossum

Elite Member
Jul 10, 2006
Your point was clearly that THESE Trump supporters acting badly counter the thousands of anti-Trump protesters acting badly. We now see that these Trump supporters were actually acting with great restraint. Unless you can show some evidence that justifies throwing cans of whatever blindly into a crowd - and I can't even imagine what that might be - then your point has become invalid. Pepper spraying someone who is throwing cans into a crowd of peaceful advocates is not evidence that "both sides are acting poorly", it is further evidence that only one side is acting badly.

Throw in some environmental concern and your main issues are exactly my own. I just have no faith that Trump would honestly attempt to address these issues. And, admittedly, some fear that even were he to do so, he might well do it so clumsily as to make matters worse.