Just getting started on the trail to better health

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Bardock

Mar 12, 2014
I use fit notes which is free in Google play.

Took my dog on a long hike, first time I'd done that in a while and it was hot.

There are a million calisthenics videos on YouTube and Vimeo that are easy to follow. I memorized one that is my main routine. It takes about 30 minutes.

https://vimeo.com/112078349

skyking

Lifer
Nov 21, 2001
This has been a long time without an update.
I have been going to the gym for 2 months now, averaging 4 times a week. I aleternate pushes and pulls, and 200 machine crunches every time.
Mixed in there are a couple of swim aerobics with my wife, and I just started hot yoga.
Down to 218 today. The last two months have been little loss, mostly just trading some fat for muscle. The hot yoga seems to help on the fat burn.
The goal is getting down to 199 or less :)
Edit: I had an interesting phenomenon. I lost weight and my pants got tighter, due to all those crunches.

Last edited:

skyking

Lifer
Nov 21, 2001
My weight is stable and unchanged. I yo-yoed up about 4 pounds and back down over the last month or so. My work situation has changed drastically.
I am now working 12 hour days on a floating crane, barge, workboat, tugboat. I average 15000 steps and 30 flights of stairs on the fitbit. Everything is up and down and over and climb and big steps and jump down. sometimes it is in harness and fall arrest gear with vertical ladders and steep stairways ~'50 above deck.
I am fairly gassed out at the end of the day. I might get some yoga in the evenings if I am feeling it, and hot yoga on weekends. I have 6 weeks of this ahead of me and will probably drop several pounds over that time.

skyking

Lifer
Nov 21, 2001
That ended in March, when I quit the keto diet. I am around 1800, which reflects in my almost stopped weight loss :D
I see a downward trend starting with this job. down a pound plus in the first week.

Last edited:

skyking

Lifer
Nov 21, 2001
Been a long time since I posted.
The new job was actually bad for my program, as I had more time for formal exercise before. I have yo-yoed up and down a bit, but pretty stable at the new normal of 224 pounds. I am 6 pounds up from my all time low. I could get all bummed out about that, or consider the 3 decades of bad living and being even higher than that. I chose the latter :)
I did get stronger on the job in some ways.
deck.jpg

skyking

Lifer
Nov 21, 2001
Just getting back to the gym after 6 weeks of 6 days a week graveyard shift. I go in wearing my work clothes and just do pushes and pulls alternating days. Today I got in some core, and I just got off the treadmill. I ran my first 5K !
I have been doing 2 miles of intervals for a week or so to get ready.
HR was a steady 140 for the first 2 miles, and slowly soaked up to 143~147. My knees are a little bit tender but that's it.

skyking

Lifer
Nov 21, 2001
I added in deadlifts a couple of weeks ago, 5x10 at a relatively low weight for cardio and core. Weight is stable, but my fitness level is increasing all the time. Resting heart rate and recovery times keep getting lower. I shoot for 9 miles and 50 flights a day, plus the gym workouts.

Reactions: highland145 and SNC

skyking

Lifer
Nov 21, 2001
I over did it on MTS high rows and popped a muscle in my arm.
Time for a little break :)

mike8675309

Jul 17, 2013
How does that even happen? Too much volume or too much weight? You're not using gear are you? Normal progression in your lifts should result in increased connective strength , increased joint strength, all along with the increased muscle mass. You're supposed to be using your back on those anyways.

highland145

Lifer
Oct 12, 2009
Too much weight.
Shens, no such thing.

Just had the left distal bicep tendon "fixed", stil in the brace. The right, last year. Depending on your work/schedule, find a good guy to fix it. My bro decided to not because of the 6mo lay off.

I'll PM you my #. Leave a message if I don't anwser some call from Yankeeland.

RSW

skyking

Lifer
Nov 21, 2001
It's not needing fixed, but thank you. I can still work it without pain. Of course I am not going to refusal :)

skyking

Lifer
Nov 21, 2001
This week I started riding the rideshare bikes from the train station to work.
I had a endorphin party today, I was higher than a kite this morning. I cannot recall feeling this good ever.
I had been riding the lime bikes, they had an almost bearable seat height. Almost is the key, they were still significantly too short.
I looked at the spin bikes, and they had changed out the seat posts for extra long ones. This morning I got on one, adjusted it way up, started the fitbit and took off like a shot. The guys who ride with me say I disappeared around the first corner never to be seen again, LOL.
It only has 3 speeds so the top end was limited, but I spun it for what it was worth. My heart rate was bouncing off 150 or so.
This afternoon I took the same bike and was able to catch the 315 train, getting me home 20 minutes earlier. Now I will certainly get my own bike going as there are plenty of spaces on the train for bikes. I am really stoked. With my bike I should always be able to catch the earlier train.
I had been doing some running for cardio, but that is out now. I found my lost bike mojo.

Reactions: djryanash

highland145

Lifer
Oct 12, 2009
You'll put your eye out.

Oh, wait, wrong movie. :D

Good job. Biking has been my favorite for years. I just have to be careful of the knees.

So the day job didn't run out or did you find another one since we talked?

djryanash

Jun 15, 2018
I just got started on a doctor supervised diet and I'm in ketosis. I'm in about 2 weeks now, using the program food exclusively. They have me on about 1200 calories. I walk or treadmill every day so far for exercise, and need to get some small weights to get started there.
I used to bicycle so my goal is to get on the bike later this spring.
My wife and I are dieting together and for now the house is contraband-free :D

How did you know you were in ketosis? You've gone from a Standard American Diet (SAD) to 1200 calories a day? That almost sounds like a crash diet to me and they're more interested in results (for their reputation) than in a sustainable lifestyle.

Are you still doing keto? Where is your weight at now?

Last edited:

djryanash

Jun 15, 2018
How much weight are you trying to loose ? I have been looking into Keto but I am not sure if its safe for me being type 2 diabetic on metformin. I carried a large umbilical hernia the size of a cantaloupe for eight years because no surgeon dared to repair it. In that eight years I gained 105 pounds carrying around 305 pounds. Finally with a new surgical mesh introduced last year. I was able to get the hernia repaired this summer. Now working hard to loose the pounds and down to 270, another 90 to go.. Doing 10K steps a day and trying to keep under 2K in calories and consume very low carbs.

Keto would be perfect for you!!! One word of warning: If you're going to do it, make sure and stick to it quite rigorously. It is even more dangerous to half-heartedly do keto because you're adding a lot of fat to your diet and if you don't decrease the carbs significantly, that's a lot of calories and the combination of high fat and moderate to high carbs can send your triglycerides and cholesterol through the roof (I'm talking from experience).

For inspiration and seeing other peoples' success with keto, check out www.reddit.com/r/keto/

For recipe ideas for keto, check out https://www.reddit.com/r/ketorecipes/

I hope you do it!!! :)

Last edited:

djryanash

Jun 15, 2018
1200 calories is crazy. I think I eat about 3000 a day. I'd be so hungry with 1200, but the doc knows best. Good work.

The doc doesn't always know best. Did you check out the website? It looks a bit scammy to me.

djryanash

Jun 15, 2018
I know. I started this with less information and I got myself informed.
The crux of any diet is what happens as you taper off and go to regular food, and I plan on excelling at that.
I have reached a place similar to when I quit drinking 26 years ago. I am so done with mindless eating.
Being a geek at heart and spending a lot of time at the keyboard, believe me when I tell you that regular food as I knew it is a thing of my past.
I am already researching things that I can make and like to eat that are good for us. I do like to cook so I consider this "challenge accepted" .
I ate fast foods @~1000 calories a meal, sometimes more than once a day, and had a dinner on top of that on many days. I could down half a pizza, once again mindlessly.
This part is not going to be easy by any means, as food addiction is far stronger than alcohol or any other dependency/behavior aberration.

I hate that: "food is an addiction".

Fod is not an addiction. Carbs/sugar are an addiction (or can be in some people). Food is a necessary part of life. Without food, you die!! Alcohol and cigarettes - without them, you don't die.

skyking

Lifer
Nov 21, 2001
How did you know you were in ketosis? You've gone from a Standard American Diet (SAD) to 1200 calories a day? That almost sounds like a crash diet to me and they're more interested in results (for their reputation) than in a sustainable lifestyle.

Are you still doing keto? Where is your weight at now?
It's helpful to read the dates on posts. This was started more than a year ago, and I went on my own diet after 3 months of great results. Keto started me off on a good path.
I lost about 50 on Keto and another 35 on a low carb ~ 1700 calorie diet.
While on keto I was weighed, counceled, and tested weekly and had blood work done prior to and monthly during the diet.
I just got tired of the monotony of the keto.
From my all time low I first gained back 5, that went stable for about 5 months, and now I am up 10.

Last edited:

djryanash

Jun 15, 2018
It's helpful to read the dates on posts. This was started more than a year ago, and I went on my own diet after 3 months of great results. Keto started me off on a good path.
I lost about 50 on Keto and another 35 on a low carb ~ 1700 calorie diet.
While on keto I was weighed, counceled, and tested weekly and had blood work done prior to and monthly during the diet.
I just got tired of the monotony of the keto.
From my all time low I first gained back 5, that went stable for about 5 months, and now I am up 10.

I did read the dates - read the entire thread.