Just curious....how is the weather in your neck of the woods?

Page 26 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
It's a hot, humid mosquito feasting zone outside. :(

My backyard backs up to a wetland and saltwater marsh...we have skeeters too. I bought a 1 acre Dyna-Trap last year. One of the best things I've bought in years. It's rare to get bit by one of those nasty bloodsuckers now.

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
That sounds pretty good Boomer. This is what I have...

XXK1OVU.png

Could be worse I guess, but it's still a huge bag of suck. Your 74° sounds a hell of a lot better.

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
That sounds pretty good Boomer. This is what I have...

XXK1OVU.png

Could be worse I guess, but it's still a huge bag of suck. Your 74° sounds a hell of a lot better.

But...but...I might actually perspire if I go outside...and we have NO air conditioning here...and fuck that weather you have. I grew up in western Mass...and spent plenty of time in hot, humid environs in my younger years. No thanks.
After spending 25 years in NorCal, I've come to the conclusion that anything more than 75f is just too hot.

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
I've come to the conclusion that anything more than 75f is just too hot.
Couldn't agree with you more. I bet heaven looks a lot like 75° at the end of July. Notice I'm "only" at 49% humidity. That's pretty good for MD :^(

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
Couldn't agree with you more. I bet heaven looks a lot like 75° at the end of July. Notice I'm "only" at 49% humidity. That's pretty good for MD :^(

we're at 56% relative humidity...so "warm" equals (slightly) hot and sticky.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
This is what we're dealing with right now, freaking brutal.

I'm sweating just from being outside, I was not even doing anything physical. I really hope these insane temps are not the new norm, but I think they are...

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
Accuweather said 79 degrees earlier. That would make today the hottest day of the year so far...then the power went out for my neighborhood...

AMD64Blondie

Golden Member
Apr 20, 2013
FML. Already 70 degrees F at 6:25 AM,on the way up to 99 degrees F this afternoon.

This is bizzare weather,even by Oregon standards.

Actually set a record high for yesterday,here in Portland.(Hit 100 degrees F).

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
26C and it's not even peak of day yet. Suppose to go up past 30 again.

I miss the good ol days when our summers were low 20's. Need to start looking for land up north.

Maybe Kuujjuaq, it's 9C there right now. Perfect to get stuff done outside without sweating like mad and feeling miserable.

Seriously though I sometimes wonder if I should look into land in those areas, its only going to get hotter over the years.

deadlyapp

Diamond Member
Apr 25, 2004
26C and it's not even peak of day yet. Suppose to go up past 30 again.

I miss the good ol days when our summers were low 20's. Need to start looking for land up north.

Maybe Kuujjuaq, it's 9C there right now. Perfect to get stuff done outside without sweating like mad and feeling miserable.

Seriously though I sometimes wonder if I should look into land in those areas, its only going to get hotter over the years.
Just realize that it's not global warming, it's climate change. Expect anywhere to be cooler in summer to also become significantly colder in winter. I say hard pass. High heat won't kill me (unless I have no water) but severe cold will kill you dead as shit.

We had the edges of hurricane hanna touch us here in Houston, just enough to get some humidity but not enough to really help bring the temps down. Low 90's the rest of the week but feels like 100 with the humidity.

After almost 2 years here in Houston I've gotten pretty used to the weather. It's not comfortable, but I can work outside in it and not feel miserable. You just come to be used to being drenched in sweat.

Iron Woode

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 10, 1999
hit 31C (88 Freedom) yesterday and today. Humidex hit 40C (104 Freedom).

should be getting storms tonight.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
Just realize that it's not global warming, it's climate change. Expect anywhere to be cooler in summer to also become significantly colder in winter. I say hard pass. High heat won't kill me (unless I have no water) but severe cold will kill you dead as shit.

We had the edges of hurricane hanna touch us here in Houston, just enough to get some humidity but not enough to really help bring the temps down. Low 90's the rest of the week but feels like 100 with the humidity.

After almost 2 years here in Houston I've gotten pretty used to the weather. It's not comfortable, but I can work outside in it and not feel miserable. You just come to be used to being drenched in sweat.

I find it's localized to some extent. Here, it's only been getting warmer over the years. Our winters are warmer and so are our summers, but then some places down south that hardly got snow before get more snow than even us now, it's kind of all over the place.

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
We have a good monsoon storm rolling through this afternoon. I expect to see flash flooding and mudslides on the mountains that burned last month.

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
Yesterday was the warmest day of the year...officially hit 80 degrees. Went to the beach a couple of hours ago...

Gee...what a nice summer evening on the beach...

aah.sized.jpg

Hot weather on the other side of the Cascades...100 degrees plus...draws the marine layer and fog in on top of us. Visibility was less than 1/2 mile in most places...1/4 mile in others. Temps in the low 50's.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
20C sunny now, way better than yesterday. Downside is it's suppose to rain all week starting this afternoon. I hope they are wrong, radar does not seem to indicate any sign of rain other than a few small clouds.

At least at 20 I can work outside without immediately being drenched in sweat the minute I step out.

vi edit

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 28, 1999
Had 2 days at 100 in Portland. Today is 90. Next two are mid 90's. Is hot.

Iron Woode

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 10, 1999
cold front came through with some rain last night.

Now sitting at 27C (81 Freedom)

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
It's August now so like clockwork, the temp dropped. 14C right now with nights going down to single digits.

I welcome this though, at least I can get stuff done outside without sweating miserably, and can get it done faster. Raining on and off today and spent most of the day with a friend I have not seen in a long time, but when I got back I worked on my deck a little. Was sprinkling rain so did not like having my tools out in that, but got a small part done in like 15 minutes which was taking me an hour in the heat days ago. I hope it's like this tomorrow but with no rain, I'll literally be able to finish the deck effortlessly.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
Here we go again with another heat wave. This is starting to get old.

I went outside for like 10 minutes and sweating like mad. Thank God for having A/C though, I can't imagine not having it at this point.