Judge says Hillary Clinton's private emails violated policy

Page 8 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

werepossum

Elite Member
Jul 10, 2006
You certainly get an A for effort but ultimately you failed. Not only is your court case about compelling google to hand over emails a straw man (I never claimed email service providers don't have to hand over data) but the article provides zero information on what info google was able to provide. The court can compel google to hand over deleted emails all day but it doesn't mean it's at all possible for google to do so. So unless you have the court documents that show deleted emails that google recovered all you've got is a catchy title to support your confirmation bias. Now certainly google could recover deleted emails that no longer exist on it's servers using forensic tools but the same could be used on Clinton's email server.

Which brings us back to the point: using a third party email system is, for all intents and purposes, no different than using a private server.

The rest of your post, like all of your others is more speculation and bullshit on your part. You think companies that store petabytes of data daily keep back ups forever? I'm sure you do but you have zero proof (I've looked).
If you wish to believe that Google spent four years and probably hundreds of thousands of dollars fighting subpoenas when they could have merely pointed to their Google Apps policy and therefore proved that it was technically impossible, it's a free country. I suppose people have believed more stupid things - although nothing springs to mind.

Oh, right - the notion that using a third party email system is, for all intents and purposes, no different than using a private server. Hey, you won one, there IS something more stupid that people believe. Or more likely, that people pretend to believe.

werepossum

Elite Member
Jul 10, 2006
Wow you stupid fuck!

If you don't know that gmail is a part of google apps then perhaps you should shut the fuck up!

http://www.google.com/apps/intl/en/terms/user_features.html

I'll quote the relevant section for your stupid ass:

Fucking A you are retarded!
Yes, gmail is part of Google Apps. Gmail also exists outside of Google Apps. All rats are animals; not all animals are rats. (Unless Hillary needs them to be, of course.)

ivwshane

Lifer
May 15, 2000
If you wish to believe that Google spent four years and probably hundreds of thousands of dollars fighting subpoenas when they could have merely pointed to their Google Apps policy and therefore proved that it was technically impossible, it's a free country. I suppose people have believed more stupid things - although nothing springs to mind.

Oh, right - the notion that using a third party email system is, for all intents and purposes, no different than using a private server. Hey, you won one, there IS something more stupid that people believe. Or more likely, that people pretend to believe.

You just won't give up will you?
First off, it has been googles standard policy to deny access to any information from a third party unless a subpoena is issued.
Second, the case you cited was unique because it was a third party making a requesting to an account holder under "duress".
Third, there is a lot of data google still retains, logs, IP's, and undeleted email, and if they get a subpoena early enough they may even be able to retrieve that. Btw, how long ago did Hilary leave the state department and how much time would have past after any emails she deleted would have been requested by congress? The answer is well past their 60 day policy.

So yes, in this case and in any other that congressional repubs have or are currently perusing, a private email server is no different than a third party one.

Now put your tail between your legs and stop being an idiot.

werepossum

Elite Member
Jul 10, 2006
You just won't give up will you?
First off, it has been googles standard policy to deny access to any information from a third party unless a subpoena is issued.
Second, the case you cited was unique because it was a third party making a requesting to an account holder under "duress".
Third, there is a lot of data google still retains, logs, IP's, and undeleted email, and if they get a subpoena early enough they may even be able to retrieve that. Btw, how long ago did Hilary leave the state department and how much time would have past after any emails she deleted would have been requested by congress? The answer is well past their 60 day policy.

So yes, in this case and in any other that congressional repubs have or are currently perusing, a private email server is no different than a third party one.

Now put your tail between your legs and stop being an idiot.
This was specifically for emails which everyone agreed had been deleted a year earlier - four years before the last appellate decision. Google also continued fighting even after losing its contention that the account holder had complied under duress AND after getting a direct court order to turn over the deleted emails. The emails deleted FOUR YEARS earlier.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
Maybe. I don't know how that was set up and who had what control on it. Did individual people have the power to decide what to do with all the data, when to delete things, what to backup etc? I dunno.

If you feel like digging, you can find my postings from around that time, it thought it was BS then too, my stance is very consistent -- these politicians doing this stuff to end-run around FOIA and retention requirements and oversight needs to stop. The difference is, by setting it up so that they had the RNC server for "non official business" stuff and using the "official" accounts for government business, they were able to keep anyone from digging further into the RNC server. Was there classified info on there? Very possible, but we'll never know.

I posted a wiki link earlier. Users could delete on the RNC server so all backups & subsequent generations of servers would simply omit deleted material.

I think it's obvious that there will always be some email spillage of later to be classified material for very high ranking govt officials. They don't see it as classified at the time & it's not marked as classified when they get a lot of it, either. Some of it, of course, is also highly political at the same time, prompting them to not use govt servers for everything.

Hillary accomplished the same ends as her Repub predecessors, just in a different way. They both maintain greater privacy.

This whole attack is basically Repubs flinging all the shit they can find, see if anything sticks.

At the level of SoS, it seems to me that they do need some privacy to function well, not have to edit as if they were making a speech. They also need to be able to delete material that was never intended for public consumption whether it's classified or not. They need the freedom to take the responsibility to do the job.

What is it that the snoopers & diggers hope to find, anyway? Just more little turdlets to fling, that's all, along with the establishment of the usual conspiracy theory thinking among the faithful.

It's the usual character assassination via FUD & misdirection. That's obvious when we try to find constructive alternatives to either Repub or Hillary's methods. We can't demand that officials at the level of SoS use govt servers exclusively because of the Hatch act & we can't possibly monitor which server they use for what. So they'll always be able to use a private server, their own or that of the RNC or DNC to obtain the same effect of information control.

It's all designed to keep the small minds of the haters spinning furiously in mindfuck games a la Benghazi.

ivwshane

Lifer
May 15, 2000
this is why you are hated here you are an abusive member. was it necessary to call me a stupid fuck and retarded?

Lol! I say it because it's an accurate description of your behavior;)

I suggest you re read your posts and take your own advice;)

ivwshane

Lifer
May 15, 2000
This was specifically for emails which everyone agreed had been deleted a year earlier - four years before the last appellate decision. Google also continued fighting even after losing its contention that the account holder had complied under duress AND after getting a direct court order to turn over the deleted emails. The emails deleted FOUR YEARS earlier.

No! That's you speculating again. The court ruled that google must hand over the info. None of the articles you posted and none of the articles I researched talked about what google actually handed over so you claiming to know what they did is pure bullshit on your part.

ivwshane

Lifer
May 15, 2000
Yes, gmail is part of Google Apps. Gmail also exists outside of Google Apps. All rats are animals; not all animals are rats. (Unless Hillary needs them to be, of course.)

Look, in order to prove your point you would need to show that actions hilary took would not be possible in some form on a third parties system. I've already shown you how it's not different.

SP33Demon

Lifer
Jun 22, 2001
Please. The claim was that one of the electronic security/ surveillance agencies would have secretly obtained Clinton's emails.

Logs merely indicate that a transmission occurred, not necessarily that the actual transmission is archived. Deletions are obviously common- I don't think the govt has the resources to store every email ever sent by employees.

Then you thought wrong. I was contracting with the gov on site and had emails from 5 years back in my inbox. And that's with multiple agencies among DoD and civilian.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
Then you thought wrong. I was contracting with the gov on site and had emails from 5 years back in my inbox. And that's with multiple agencies among DoD and civilian.

Which invalidates my claim not at all. Once you download an email, it's on your computer, not necessarily still on the server years later.