Journey to Power Cable Project for my Audio system

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

AudioTruth

Sep 22, 2012
Just for shits and giggles, OP what is
electricity?
If you want to learn about electricity, this book is great: http://openbookproject.net/electricCircuits/

In the beginning of the book there are some useful things like safety. But the rest of it won't help you understand power cables, you need the ears for that.

In school, they change the way you think. Instead of thinking open mindedly, they teach you a narrow minded digital way of thinking. Computer science and programming is a perfect example of this, they make you think like a computer.
I'm lucky I started the audio hobby before science, now I'm getting the eargasms of my life!

cheez

Golden Member
Nov 19, 2010
Just for shits and giggles, OP what is electricity?
Soccermom, please read what AudioTruth said below. Lots of good teaching there.

If you want to learn about electricity, this book is great: http://openbookproject.net/electricCircuits/

In the beginning of the book there are some useful things like safety. But the rest of it won't help you understand power cables, you need the ears for that.

In school, they change the way you think. Instead of thinking open mindedly, they teach you a narrow minded digital way of thinking. Computer science and programming is a perfect example of this, they make you think like a computer.
I'm lucky I started the audio hobby before science, now I'm getting the eargasms of my life!
Very well put. I absolutely agree especially the last paragraph. AudioTruth has wealth of knowledge and experience. Many of you guys think he is funny but he really knows his stuff.

AudioTruth, thanks. I received your reply in PM. That sound really tempting about the shorter and modified version of the White Night Power cable. So how many outlets will this cable have at the other end? The quality of the internals in the outlets is also very good right? And this direct connection (without using the powerstrip) improves sound? Please confirm.

thanks,

cheez

Last edited:

Phanuel

Platinum Member
Apr 25, 2008
All of this trash really should be in OT. Cheez has to be a friend of Patrick. He comes here with no credentials whatsoever and Cheez immediately has his back.

See also, Cheez's personal attack against Soccerman by calling him Soccermom. That should be an immediate infraction or move to OT.

Ugh, why did I bump this thread. :/

cheez

Golden Member
Nov 19, 2010
All of this trash really should be in OT. Cheez has to be a friend of Patrick. He comes here with no credentials whatsoever and Cheez immediately has his back.
We back each other up. That's what friends are for.

See also, Cheez's personal attack against Soccerman by calling him Soccermom. That should be an immediate infraction or move to OT.
Wrong, it wasn't a personal attack. I often call users different names with no harm intended. For example, one of our members has football picture in the avatar. I call him "Football Man". :)

Ugh, why did I bump this thread. :/
Actually you didn't bump anything. It was already bumped before you posted. This thread is active.

I don't know why the mods don't move this to OT.
No need to move as this thread fits right in Audio/Video section. Power cord is critical subject and is all related with audio/video, young man.

AudioTruth

Sep 22, 2012
Soccermom, please read what AudioTruth said below. Lots of good teaching there.

Very well put. I absolutely agree especially the last paragraph. AudioTruth has wealth of knowledge and experience. Many of you guys think he is funny but he really knows his stuff.

AudioTruth, thanks. I received your reply in PM. That sound really tempting about the shorter and modified version of the White Night Power cable. So how many outlets will this cable have at the other end? The quality of the internals in the outlets is also very good right? And this direct connection (without using the powerstrip) improves sound? Please confirm.

thanks,

cheez
I use always the best quality internals. Between 2 to 6 outputs on the other end is planned. This direct connection improves the sound because it doesn't have an IEC plug + IEC inlet. It bypasses two connectors to give better sound for a lower cost.

cheez

Golden Member
Nov 19, 2010
I use always the best quality internals. Between 2 to 6 outputs on the other end is planned. This direct connection improves the sound because it doesn't have an IEC plug + IEC inlet. It bypasses two connectors to give better sound for a lower cost.
That's awesome! The one I had in mind (Wireworld Matrix powerstrip) costs $120!! It is nice that I don't have to buy a powerstrip. The 6 output would be great for me as I have at least 4 devices to connect (HTPC, Left Focal speaker, Right Focal speaker, subwoofer).

So does this mean it won't have a surge protection? Don't we need surge protection? This is one of the things I wondered about when you brought this cable up.

And I saw you have a new addition at your site, called Commando Power 5m The picture is just awesome :D

commando.gif

It's priced the same as the White Night Power 5m too.

Last edited:

cheez

Golden Member
Nov 19, 2010
I saw in your video that showing the power plug socket that looks something like this:
socket.png

Do these cables come with this socket? or is it better not to use it?

thanks,

AudioTruth

Sep 22, 2012
That's awesome! The one I had in mind (Wireworld Matrix powerstrip) costs $120!! It is nice that I don't have to buy a powerstrip. The 6 output would be great for me as I have at least 4 devices to connect (HTPC, Left Focal speaker, Right Focal speaker, subwoofer).

So does this mean it won't have a surge protection? Don't we need surge protection? This is one of the things I wondered about when you brought this cable up.
It doesn't have surge protection because it worsens the sound. I used a UPS from APC a long time ago, it added horrible buzzing to the audio signal. I switched to PS Audio Ultimate Outlet, but it veiled and thickened the sound, and made it very SLOW. P300 Power Plant made it sound darker, muddier and slower too. Premier Power Plant made it clearer, but also very colored, it gave fake edginess and more emptiness. And it added noise into the ground, I touched the magnet of Virtual Dynamics Genesis power cable, I got a physical shock. I touched the metal of amplifier, got physical shock too. The Power Plants infect the rest of the system with noise because they draw more watts. The extra watts is transformed into heat and noise.

I switched from Power Plants into Acoustic Revive RTP-4 Ultimate power strip, it didn't infect the system with noise, but it was very veiled with lack of microdetail. The manufacturers don't know what they are doing, they just put random stuff into their devices. They don't use their ears to fine-tune their devices, they spend their time on marketing instead.

And I saw you have a new addition at your site, called Commando Power 5m The picture is just awesome :D

commando.gif

It's priced the same as the White Night Power 5m too.
Commando can't be plugged into normal homes, it uses special connectors that are very big.

AudioTruth

Sep 22, 2012
I saw in your video that showing the power plug socket that looks something like this:
socket.png

Do these cables come with this socket? or is it better not to use it?

thanks,

I used this one. It changes US plug to European.
Long time ago I changed my Euro outlet into US and cut open the wall to make it fit, the landlord didn't like it. He said I'm not allowed to mutilate his house.

vhschukoangle.jpg

holes.in.wall.JPG

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
there is no way this thread can be serious. this just HAS to be a troll thread.

cheez

Golden Member
Nov 19, 2010
Thanks AudioTruth. I understand now. So to get the best signal transmission don't use fancy surge protection and conditioning. I see what you are after, the best sound possible. I am in agreement with you. :)

You rock.

I may have to sell my macbook pro so I don't have to charge as much on my credit card.

How long do you think it will take you before your new cable is complete and show pics? If everything goes well I am projecting beginning of January of next year for handing out my money for a White Night Powa.

Thanks,

there is no way this thread can be serious. this just HAS to be a troll thread.
Please enough with your trolling. One more trolling I am going to report to the moderator. Please stop.

AudioTruth

Sep 22, 2012
Thanks AudioTruth. I understand now. So to get the best signal transmission don't use fancy surge protection and conditioning. I see what you are after, the best sound possible. I am in agreement with you. :)

You rock.

I may have to sell my macbook pro so I don't have to charge as much on my credit card.

How long do you think it will take you before your new cable is complete and show pics? If everything goes well I am projecting beginning of January of next year for handing out my money for a White Night Powa.

Thanks,
I always tweak a lot during Christmas, so it might be finished in january. It takes a very long time to build, because a lot of listening is needed. The entire cable is fine-tuned by ear. Every piece of material is listened to, and added together. It has taken many years to discover how each piece of material sounds like, and how they interact with each other.

This audio hobby is long-term memory, not short-term. When you get an eargasm from the great sound, it's stored in your long-term memory. How the music sounds like becomes an experience that you can describe with words; quick, slow, warm, cold etc..

Comparing two tweaks with short-term memory never works. It needs to be long-term where you listen to each tweak for months, the longer the better. Then you make the switch. This is where you hear the biggest differences from. Skeptics don't understand this, most of them don't listen seriously to their audio system, and some of them don't even have audio systems.

Number1

Diamond Member
Feb 24, 2006
How reliable are these high-end power cords? Meaning how long can they be used? Anyone has info / insight on this or the ones that have experience in this area? I would appreciate it!

cheezy

Check the best before date. It also depends on the type of music you're going to play. Obviously, heavy metal will wear out your cable at a much faster rate. I recommend keeping the volume low to minimize the electron flow.
The quality of your AC power at the AC outlet will also impact the life expectancy. Dirty AC will take a toll on your cable because it has to work harder to "clean" it.
There, I hope this helped.

Edit, I checked the answer you posted to yourself for this question. Don't trust Audiothruth testing on this one, obviously those are not real life day to day conditions normally experienced by high end cables. I'ts a very poor indication of how your cable will perform in real life.

Last edited:

cheez

Golden Member
Nov 19, 2010
I always tweak a lot during Christmas, so it might be finished in january. It takes a very long time to build, because a lot of listening is needed. The entire cable is fine-tuned by ear. Every piece of material is listened to, and added together. It has taken many years to discover how each piece of material sounds like, and how they interact with each other.

This audio hobby is long-term memory, not short-term. When you get an eargasm from the great sound, it's stored in your long-term memory. How the music sounds like becomes an experience that you can describe with words; quick, slow, warm, cold etc..

Comparing two tweaks with short-term memory never works. It needs to be long-term where you listen to each tweak for months, the longer the better. Then you make the switch. This is where you hear the biggest differences from. Skeptics don't understand this, most of them don't listen seriously to their audio system, and some of them don't even have audio systems.
That is very inspiring... and thanks for the good teaching!!

Yes please tweak / tune to the best with your ear especially for me cheez. :) Please don't rush. I like top quality control.

That's good... looks like the timing will be just right then. By the time you are ready I will be ready too.

Guys, this is professional stuff (high class) so don't go flaming my thread. Once all goes well and I get possession of the cable I will be posting pics, video, and my impressions. Like I said, this is a long-term project.

thanks,

cheez

Last edited:

Number1

Diamond Member
Feb 24, 2006
That is very inspiring... and thanks for the good teaching!!

Yes please tweak / tune to the best with your ear especially for me cheez. :) Please don't rush. I like top quality control.

That's good... looks like the timing will be just right then. By the time you are ready I will be ready too.

Guys, this is professional stuff (high class) so don't go flaming my thread. Once all goes well and I get possession of the cable I will be posting pics, video, and my impressions. Like I said, this is a long-term project.

thanks,

cheez

Sound like you're talking to yourself about yourself to promote your product.
But seriously, how can you call a $1500 cable "high end".
Get serious, remortgage your house and buy something substantial.
Have you thought about surge protecting your power cable?

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
Should move to Bangladesh. People there like to have racks of lead acid batteries jury rigged to act as an ups due to rolling black out. You however, would love the clean power batteries provide.

AudioTruth

Sep 22, 2012
Should move to Bangladesh. People there like to have racks of lead acid batteries jury rigged to act as an ups due to rolling black out. You however, would love the clean power batteries provide.
UPS is the worst thing you can do to the audio system. I have APC Back-UPS 650. It's absolutely horrible!
ups%20apc%20back-ups%20bk650mi%20l18103.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.