Jon Stewart makes vaccinations-'Walking Dead' analogy so everyone can understand

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

abj13

Golden Member
Jan 27, 2005
When the weather warms up will our government again start importing Central American children by the thousands? Kids that haven't been vaccinated? If so, any discussion about this is moot.

Argument of ignorance. There has been almost no reported cases of measles in Central America (and most of the Western Hemisphere for that matter outside of imported cases):
http://www.who.int/immunization/mon.../big_measlesreportedcases6months_PDF.pdf?ua=1

And the vaccine rates for most of the Western Hemisphere is above 90%
http://data.worldbank.org/indicator/SH.IMM.MEAS/countries

So stop the trying to drum up the stupidity that this is somehow an issue of illegal immigration.

master_shake_

Diamond Member
May 22, 2012
I'm going to walk around with a syringe full of a vaccine cocktail in my hand and jab unsuspecting kids whose parents are idiots, I mean anti vaxxers.

"What do you inject into my son? What did you inject into my baby? Waaaaaaaaa!"

And I'll say, "I just saved his life, lady" and walk away.

this guy is a fucking hero!

boomerang

Lifer
Jun 19, 2000
Argument of ignorance. There has been almost no reported cases of measles in Central America (and most of the Western Hemisphere for that matter outside of imported cases):
http://www.who.int/immunization/mon.../big_measlesreportedcases6months_PDF.pdf?ua=1

And the vaccine rates for most of the Western Hemisphere is above 90%
http://data.worldbank.org/indicator/SH.IMM.MEAS/countries

So stop the trying to drum up the stupidity that this is somehow an issue of illegal immigration.
Your arguments, they don't argue what you think they argue.

abj13

Golden Member
Jan 27, 2005
Your arguments, they don't argue what you think they argue.

Hilarious. Just stop posting. There's almost no endemic measles infections in the Western Hemisphere, and the vast majority of children are vaccinated against measles.

And that's all you respond with? Seriously, accept the fact you don't have a clue about infections like measles and stop posting hyperbole in this thread.

McLovin

Golden Member
Jul 8, 2007
uh what? Can you link to one case where a vaccine caused autism?

Funny that you say this.

I brought this subject up the other night with my brother and sister-in-law when Jenny McCarthy and Donnie 'Not Marky-Mark' Wahlberg's reality show came on. I made mention of the fact that Jenny is a looney because of her anti-vaccination stance and I was informed that a cousin of my SIL supposedly got Autism from a Vaccine. I expressed my doubt in this and I got the impression that this would a sensitive topic for her so I let it be.

I wish I had more details about this 'case', sadly all I have is hearsay but if we're being honest, I want to call bullshit on this.

Last edited:

sm625

Diamond Member
May 6, 2011
I don't give a fuck if vaccination causes autism - which it doesn't.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RfdZTZQvuCo

You obviously are autistic and from the looks of things you probably had the full regiment of shots. I bet you couldnt even guess, to the nearest 10000, how many people died from measles in the decade before the measles vaccine was introduced. I DARE you to learn something today!

Pulsar

Diamond Member
Mar 3, 2003
You obviously are autistic and from the looks of things you probably had the full regiment of shots. I bet you couldnt even guess, to the nearest 10000, how many people died from measles in the decade before the measles vaccine was introduced. I DARE you to learn something today!

Nope, I sure didn't. I spent a week in a hospital because of the chicken pox.

What is your point? Don't play games. If you have an argument, make it. If you're going to imply that vaccines are evil and cause autism and aren't worth it, then say it.

Anti-vaccine people, like you appear to be, piss off me and just about every other person in this country. Justify it.

shira

Diamond Member
Jan 12, 2005
Funny that you say this.

I brought this subject up the other night with my brother and sister-in-law when Jenny McCarthy and Donnie 'Not Marky-Mark' Wahlberg's reality show came on. I made mention of the fact that Jenny is a looney because of her anti-vaccination stance and I was informed that a cousin of my SIL supposedly got Autism from a Vaccine. I expressed my doubt in this and I got the impression that this would a sensitive topic for her so I let it be.

I wish I had more details about this 'case', sadly all I have is hearsay but if we're being honest, I want to call bullshit on this.
The problem of course is that there are so many people with an almost pathological ignorance of statistics, and they mistake temporal correlation with causation. It's impossible to argue with such people.

shira

Diamond Member
Jan 12, 2005

From Wikipedia:

Before immunization in the United States between three and four million cases occurred a year. Most of those who are infected and who die are less than five years old. The risk of death among those infected is usually 0.2%, but may be up to 10% in those who have malnutrition.
Doing the simple math (a minimum of 3 million cases a year and the modern FIRST-WORLD death rate of 2 per thousand cases), that means that a MINIMUM OF 6000 PEOPLE DIED EACH YEAR OF MEASLES IN THE U.S. PRIOR TO THE ADVENT OF THE MEASLES VACCINE, most of them less than five years old.

cubby1223

Lifer
May 24, 2004
These mother fucker anti vaccine assholes elevate that risk to kids like my daughter. If she had gotten infected with a preventable disease and died, I'd be going serial killer on every one of those fuckers I could find.

Woah! Internet bad-ass here, watch out everyone!

So, if she comes in contact with someone with the measles, which I'm putting at 0.01% chance, and I'm guessing she's is vaccinated, meaning she has just a 5% chance of contracting measles, and given the fact that the measles have a 0.2% mortality rate...

I'm placing your odds at 10 million to 1 you're coming out of this just fine. Seriously, this is right about on par with the odds of her dying from a lightning strike.

You're doing nothing to no one except angering up your own blood.

cubby1223

Lifer
May 24, 2004
Just because there is this strange pleasure pissing off people on the vaccination subject...

For all the scientific medical studies that say vaccines are safe:

There also was once a time not too long ago when all the scientific medical studies said concussions and other head injuries posed no long-term damage to athletes. The few studies that attempted to say so were immediately discredited.

Medical science is not always about science. Sometimes it's about the almighty dollar! That is a fact none of you can dispute.

:D

People, just say you want people vaccinated because you believe it protects everyone. And leave it at that. I agree with that statement. It's the rationales to justify the opinions and the anger that I can't stand reading ;)

nickqt

Diamond Member
Jan 15, 2015
There also was once a time not too long ago when all the scientific medical studies said concussions and other head injuries posed no long-term damage to athletes. The few studies that attempted to say so were immediately discredited.
Have a citation for that?

I love science.

OverVolt

Lifer
Aug 31, 2002
The problem of course is that there are so many people with an almost pathological ignorance of statistics, and they mistake temporal correlation with causation. It's impossible to argue with such people.

You mean like the basis for every single science study on food and health? Butter is bad for you! No wait shit its better for you margarine! In reality we have no idea what we're doing!

OverVolt

Lifer
Aug 31, 2002
ridiculous

Shira JUST said people make the mistake of correlation = causation, which is basically the entire premise of most health science articles. Looking for correlations between what people eat and certain health metrics. Thats how you get studies saying stuff like red meat is bad for you unless you eat it as part of the Mediterranean diet.

Health science articles are nothing but a long string of correlations trying to hobble together an understanding of foods effect on health. Are eggs good or bad for you? Can you give a straight answer?

Nov 25, 2013
Just because there is this strange pleasure pissing off people on the vaccination subject...

Medical science is not always about science. Sometimes it's about the almighty dollar! That is a fact none of you can dispute.

People, just say you want people vaccinated because you believe it protects everyone. And leave it at that. I agree with that statement. It's the rationales to justify the opinions and the anger that I can't stand reading ;)

That "once a time not too long ago" was at least before 1933.

1933: The NCAA first acknowledges the dangers of concussions in its Medical Handbook for Schools and Colleges, which states that “the seriousness of [concussions] is often overlooked” and that concussions “should not be regarded lightly.” It lays out recommendations for immediate treatment, including rest, constant supervision, and x-rays of the brain as long as headaches persist. It also suggests hospital treatment for players with recurring symptoms until they are symptom-free for 48 hours and recommends that any player who experiences symptoms for longer than 48 hours “should not be permitted to compete for 21 days or longer, if at all.”

http://thinkprogress.org/sports/2013/07/23/2339571/ncaa-concussion-timeline/

Oops, maybe that was before the 1920's.

"Since the 1920s, it has been known that the repetitive brain trauma associated with boxing may produce a progressive neurological deterioration, originally termed “dementia pugilistica” and more recently, chronic traumatic encephalopathy (CTE)"

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2945234/

OverVolt

Lifer
Aug 31, 2002
That "once a time not too long ago" was at least before 1933.

1933: The NCAA first acknowledges the dangers of concussions in its Medical Handbook for Schools and Colleges, which states that “the seriousness of [concussions] is often overlooked” and that concussions “should not be regarded lightly.” It lays out recommendations for immediate treatment, including rest, constant supervision, and x-rays of the brain as long as headaches persist. It also suggests hospital treatment for players with recurring symptoms until they are symptom-free for 48 hours and recommends that any player who experiences symptoms for longer than 48 hours “should not be permitted to compete for 21 days or longer, if at all.”

http://thinkprogress.org/sports/2013/07/23/2339571/ncaa-concussion-timeline/

Oops, maybe that was before the 1920's.

"Since the 1920s, it has been known that the repetitive brain trauma associated with boxing may produce a progressive neurological deterioration, originally termed “dementia pugilistica” and more recently, chronic traumatic encephalopathy (CTE)"

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2945234/

NFL denied it until 2010 derp.

manimal

Lifer
Mar 30, 2007

So your saying because something in the past was wrong your unfounded unscientific sense about something is valid vs modern science and empirical data?

Its not like were arguing int he 50s about the effectiveness of immunizations. We have data from 40 plus years of science and fact based facts vs what you read once on a blog or what your gut is telling you.

edit reread your post. My comment is directed to the real deniers.

OverVolt

Lifer
Aug 31, 2002
I can't figure out what health organization the letters "NFL" represent.

;) The point is that science is often for sale to the highest bidder. Especially as of late where private research funding is a larger and larger percentage of the research body and the conflicts of interest aren't disclosed very well except in certain journals. But that doesn't stop alot of misinformation from circulating around in the news these days.

So while the NFL was still bucking the trend in say 2009, they had plenty of scientific backed FUD saying concussions were fine.

nickqt

Diamond Member
Jan 15, 2015
;) The point is that science is often for sale to the highest bidder. Especially as of late where private research funding is a larger and larger percentage of the research body and the conflicts of interest aren't disclosed very well except in certain journals. But that doesn't stop alot of misinformation from circulating around in the news these days.

So while the NFL was still bucking the trend in say 2009, they had plenty of scientific backed FUD saying concussions were fine.

Citation needed.

Hayabusa Rider

Admin Emeritus & Elite Member
Jan 26, 2000

OK, my wife has a masters in biochemistry, a PhD in molecular genetics, has advanced training in immunology and has taught immunology (among other things I can't count) for 25 years. You can't be years behind in the current scientific world, so that's not an issue. I can tell you something you can take to the bank, no one could buy her. Disclosures are painfully taken into account, and if for some reason they weren't submitted to "Cell" for example, that scientist is done. I suggest you look at what happened to the person who committed the fraudulent link between autism and vaccines. He was shredded for cause. This is one place you don't go.

Now with vaccine research there's private and government funded grants and institutions. One would have to subvert the entire scientific and medical community, all of it all over the world. Countless people bought off? I can buy that if you can believe our Armed Forces are really ISIS in disguise and actually fighting the world while we remain ignorant. Doesn't seem too likely.

Reconsider for your children's sake. Have you known me to ever bullshit anyone over such a serious subject which could adversely affect a child? No you have not.