Jon Stewart makes vaccinations-'Walking Dead' analogy so everyone can understand

JimKiler

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 2002
Funny, too bad we could not get impartial scientists to prove/disprove vaccines cause autism since vaccince deniers will not trust anyone who doesn't tow the movement line. But it would still be nice for a major news outlet to do a well researched piece about the science behind it.

Also i don't doubt a very small amount of kids are affected by vaccines but it is a risks that outweight the dangers scenario.

Too bad instead of measles we are not talking about polio, that might change the deniers position as they become paralyzed form the polio virus.

glenn1

Lifer
Sep 6, 2000
Funny, too bad we could not get impartial scientists to prove/disprove vaccines cause autism since vaccince deniers will not trust anyone who doesn't tow the movement line. But it would still be nice for a major news outlet to do a well researched piece about the science behind it.

Also i don't doubt a very small amount of kids are affected by vaccines but it is a risks that outweight the dangers scenario.

Too bad instead of measles we are not talking about polio, that might change the deniers position as they become paralyzed form the polio virus.

Anti-vax people can't even give a plausible theory why vaccines would cause autism, so how would you "prove" it to them they don't? You're talking folks who have completely abandoned consideration of the scientific method in favor of feelings-based crackpot theories - "I don't think it's safe for babies to receive multiple vaccines at once" kinda stuff. You might as well have scientists try to disprove that diapers cause autism, or bad karma, or GMO food.

cbrunny

Diamond Member
Oct 12, 2007
Some celebrity should endorse the idea that vaccines make you really smart. It wouldn't be hard to just make a fake news-ish piece that totally fabricates it. I'd bet there are politicians on both sides of the aisle that would get in on that, throw some talking points at it.

Just counter their idiocy with idiocy. Anti-vaccers aren't interested in "facts" or "truth." So just make up stuff that sounds like it might be true. Don't even argue against them, just argue around them.

Pulsar

Diamond Member
Mar 3, 2003

I don't give a fuck if vaccination causes autism - which it doesn't.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RfdZTZQvuCo

JEDIYoda

Lifer
Jul 13, 2005

Too bad you entertain the whole "autism" scare......what good is worrying about autism if your child is permanently scarred by measles or small pox??

Nobody needs to entertain the autism malarkey.........that still is not a good, sound reason for not being vaccinated!!

Wouldn`t you agree?

Subyman

Moderator <br> VC&G Forum
Mar 18, 2005

It doesn't cause autism. Autism symptoms tend to be noticeable around the same time kids get their vaccines. Those symptoms have been coming on at that age for millennia, way before vaccines. There isn't a need for a study, because only idiots believe the link which originates with a study done with a sample size of 12 kids and has been fully debunked. Why would a scientist waste their time when idiots still won't believe it?

Smoblikat

Diamond Member
Nov 19, 2011
I hate vaccines, and I will never get one.

I also dont take any pills even if medically prescribed.

realibrad

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013

shira

Diamond Member
Jan 12, 2005

It's not possible to "prove" that vaccines do NOT cause autism. All that can be done is to do studies and report no correlation found between vaccinations and autism.

But the problem is that people hear anecdotal accounts of, say, a child receiving a vaccination and then developing autism three days later. Put together 10 such stories and (for many people) the case is proven.

Of course, given tens of millions of young children and hundreds of millions of vaccination events, it would be extraordinary if there were NOT thousands if incidents where a child received a vaccination and then developed autism within a week or two. Unfortunately, most people don't understand statistics.

JimKiler

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 2002
Too bad you entertain the whole "autism" scare......what good is worrying about autism if your child is permanently scarred by measles or small pox??

Nobody needs to entertain the autism malarkey.........that still is not a good, sound reason for not being vaccinated!!

Wouldn`t you agree?

It doesn't cause autism. Autism symptoms tend to be noticeable around the same time kids get their vaccines. Those symptoms have been coming on at that age for millennia, way before vaccines. There isn't a need for a study, because only idiots believe the link which originates with a study done with a sample size of 12 kids and has been fully debunked. Why would a scientist waste their time when idiots still won't believe it?

You both misunderstand me, there is a very small risk that something bad could happen if given a vaccine, i am sure doctors and pharma will explain this, but I am not saying that will cause autism. It is like putting anything else in your body, a very small percentage are going to have unintended side affects but that is the risk we have to take to prevent these dangerous viruses from destroying our bodies.

Of course now trying to find real side effects from vaccines will be hard to find with all the anti vaxxer's out there polluting the web. This is like those chain emails i got in college when the internet was new saying i would get free khaki's from gap or free Disney vacations from Intel. You can never kill misinformation because there is always someone to believe it.

I actually found the CDC has real side effects at http://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/vac-gen/side-effects.htm

where the DTap vaccine could cause

Long-term seizures, coma, or lowered consciousness
Permanent brain damage.

but it then says it is so rare they are not sure the vaccine caused these issues or something else.

Last edited:

Subyman

Moderator <br> VC&G Forum
Mar 18, 2005
When people come to irrational views, you cant use rational to get them to change.

We wont change the vast majority of people's minds. We should try and reach the fringe and hope to stop new believers. Why would you use facts when they "know" they are right?

Hmmm, so we should try to sway them with irrational views? The god particle is inside the MMR vaccine (can be backed up with some science hand waving), which Hilleman discovered when god whispered in his ear while fiddling with a microscope. Injecting it lets your child sit three rows closer to god when they get to heaven.

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002
Anti-vax people can't even give a plausible theory why vaccines would cause autism, so how would you "prove" it to them they don't? You're talking folks who have completely abandoned consideration of the scientific method in favor of feelings-based crackpot theories - "I don't think it's safe for babies to receive multiple vaccines at once" kinda stuff. You might as well have scientists try to disprove that diapers cause autism, or bad karma, or GMO food.

Their proof is often anecdotal. My or somebodys kid showed symptoms of autism after getting vaccinated. Think about that for a moment. The kid is doing a lot of things at that time. But clearly it is the vaccination that caused autism.

My ex-wife has a nephew that is autistic. They are convinced vaccinations lead to it. I saw the kid from near infancy had behavioral issues. I finally had to ask my wife to ask her sister to have him tested at I think a little over a year or around 2. I cant remember. But his behavior was just off. And he came back as being within the spectrum. They have done a lot of therapy with him and he has responded amazingly.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
When people come to irrational views, you cant use rational to get them to change.

We wont change the vast majority of people's minds. We should try and reach the fringe and hope to stop new believers. Why would you use facts when they "know" they are right?

Honestly this is one of those issues where I don't really care to persuade them. They are a fringe group that is actively threatening vulnerable members of society due to their belief in some pseudoscience. I just say mandate vaccination except in cases where it threatens the health of the child and be done with it.

Dec 10, 2005
You both misunderstand me, there is a very small risk that something bad could happen if given a vaccine, i am sure doctors and pharma will explain this, but I am not saying that will cause autism. It is like putting anything else in your body, a very small percentage are going to have unintended side affects but that is the risk we have to take to prevent these dangerous viruses from destroying our bodies.

Of course now trying to find real side effects from vaccines will be hard to find with all the anti vaxxer's out there polluting the web. This is like those chain emails i got in college when the internet was new saying i would get free khaki's from gap or free Disney vacations from Intel. You can never kill misinformation because there is always someone to believe it.

I actually found the CDC has real side effects at http://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/vac-gen/side-effects.htm

where the DTap vaccine could cause

but it then says it is so rare they are not sure the vaccine caused these issues or something else.

http://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/vac-gen/6mishome.htm#cause

Risk from Disease versus Risk from Vaccines

Measles and Rubella vs. MMR Vaccine

Even one serious adverse event in a million doses of vaccine cannot be justified if there is no benefit from the vaccination. If there were no vaccines, there would be many more cases of disease, and along with the more disease, there would be serious sequelae and more deaths. But looking at risk alone is not enough - you must always look at both risks and benefits. Comparing the risk from disease with the risk from the vaccines can give us an idea of the benefits we get from vaccinating our children.
DISEASE

Measles
Pneumonia: 6 in 100
Encephalitis: 1 in 1,000
Death: 2 in 1,000

Rubella
Congenital Rubella Syndrome: 1 in 4 (if woman becomes infected early in pregnancy)
VACCINES

MMR
Encephalitis or severe allergic reaction:
1 in 1,000,000
Diphtheria, Tetanus, and Pertussis vs. DTap Vaccine

DISEASE

Diphtheria
Death: 1 in 20

Tetanus
Death: 2 in 10

Pertussis
Pneumonia: 1 in 8
Encephalitis: 1 in 20
Death: 1 in 1,500
VACCINES

DTaP
Continuous crying, then full recovery: 1 in 1000
Convulsions or shock, then full recovery: 1 in 14,000
Acute encephalopathy: 0-10.5 in 1,000,000
Death: None proven
There are risks of side effects, but the risks are astronomically small compared with risk of 'side-effects' from getting the actual disease. As the CDC writes, "In fact, to have a medical intervention as effective as vaccination in preventing disease and not use it would be unconscionable."

Dec 10, 2005
Honestly this is one of those issues where I don't really care to persuade them. They are a fringe group that is actively threatening vulnerable members of society due to their belief in some pseudoscience. I just say mandate vaccination except in cases where it threatens the health of the child and be done with it.
Mississippi and West Virginia are leaders on this front. No exemptions, except medical (eg: compromised immune system, allergy...), from vaccination if you want to attend public school. http://nyti.ms/1I0dwfz

PokerGuy

Lifer
Jul 2, 2005
Providing deniers with additional information may just make things worse:

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/02/03/u...zation-on-a-hot-button-issue.html?rref=upshot

Wait, what are "deniers" denying?

Is it surprising to anyone that calling someone stupid or some other insult simply galvanizes their belief and makes them even *less* likely to be persuaded by evidence, regardless of validity of their beliefs?

I'm firmly in the pro-vaccine camp and absolutely think kids should be vaccinated. Apparently the vast majority of the population agrees.

Side effects -- though rare -- are real and can be devastating. Anyone with a basic understanding of statistics knows statistically it makes sense to vaccinate, the risks are much smaller than the benefits. However, I'd rather continue to educate people so they want to get vaccinated rather than trying to punish or vilify those that don't, because that's simply going to be counterproductive. It's going to create a growing backlash of entrenched people who will refuse to go along. We keep hearing about "growing" numbers of those who don't get vaccinated, but in reality it's a very small percentage. Why focus on "fixing" that small percentage and forcing them into compliance instead of focusing our energy on educating people so they continue to want to get vaccinated?

Last edited:

shira

Diamond Member
Jan 12, 2005
Wait, what are "deniers" denying?

Is it surprising to anyone that calling someone stupid or some other insult simply galvanizes their belief and makes them even *less* likely to be persuaded by evidence, regardless of validity of their beliefs?

I'm firmly in the pro-vaccine camp and absolutely think kids should be vaccinated. Apparently the vast majority of the population agrees.

Side effects -- though rare -- are real and can be devastating. Anyone with a basic understanding of statistics knows statistically it makes sense to vaccinate, the risks are much smaller than the benefits. However, I'd rather continue to educate people so they want to get vaccinated rather than trying to punish or vilify those that don't, because that's simply going to be counterproductive. It's going to create a growing backlash of entrenched people who will refuse to go along. We keep hearing about "growing" numbers of those who don't get vaccinated, but in reality it's a very small percentage. Why focus on "fixing" that small percentage and forcing them into compliance instead of focusing our energy on educating people so they continue to want to get vaccinated?
We do try to educate the deniers. But no amount of "education" will convince them that the threat is not either a hoax or a wild exaggeration.

We are talking about climate change, aren't we?

Rakehellion

Lifer
Jan 15, 2013
Rejecting life-saving drugs based on some new-age hipster bullcrap.

The anti-vaccine movement in every way a first-world problem.

realibrad

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
Hmmm, so we should try to sway them with irrational views? The god particle is inside the MMR vaccine (can be backed up with some science hand waving), which Hilleman discovered when god whispered in his ear while fiddling with a microscope. Injecting it lets your child sit three rows closer to god when they get to heaven.

What I mean, is that you have almost zero chance to change their minds. You can only use logic and facts to deal with rational people. People who believe vaccines will cause autism, are believing even though everything that has ever been researched shows that there is not a link.