Johnny Depp was robbed! (and no, this is not a parody thread)

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

JulesMaximus

No Lifer
Jul 3, 2003
Originally posted by: azazyel
I have always liked Depp, he is someone who is able to take risks in his acting. Didn't he turn down the role of Lestat in "Interview with a Vampire" so he could make "Ed Wood"?

I've always liked Depp as well. He seems to try many different things and keeps pushing himself to extend his abilities. Gotta respect that. Actually, Penn seems to have done this to a certain degree as well. I just don't like him as a person.

Cerb

Elite Member
Aug 26, 2000
Mellowdrama is a requirement for the award. Good character acting, as can often be seen by Johnny Depp, Dan Akroyd, and Kevin Bacon (does this guy ever stop?) are overlooked in favor of overly-emotional characters in leading roles. There are many others, but those two came to me right off.
Hell, IMO, Andy Serkis should have gotten best actor. After seeing the TT extras...that man is GOOD.

Ranger X

Lifer
Mar 18, 2000
Penn seemed really nervous on stage. Wasn't there something about Sean Penn and his fears that makes him a no-show at these award shows he's nominated in? I just heard this on TV and the reason why he showed up this time was because Clint Eastwood persuaded him into attending.

SP33Demon

Lifer
Jun 22, 2001
First off, who tf cares about what an actor believes or stands for? Opinions are like a.holes, everyone has one. If the CEO of Rock Star Games said "I agree with the War in the Iraq", would you never play Max Payne 2 if you didn't agree? It's the same thing I say to low level thinkers who boycott a product b/c of someone's personal opinion. In fact, it seems that you're paying that person a compliment by recognizing their opinion, and having a negative reaction to it. Personally, noone's opinion will force me to change my way of life.

Second, Penn's performance destroyed Depp's. I saw both movies, and Penn's performance got me glassy eyed and enraged. If you don't feel his pain/anger, even if you aren't a parent, then you're just not human. Depp was funny in parts, but annoying in others. Read anything written by a critic on the Oscars and most predicted either Penn or Bill Murray would win (for example, pick up the latest Rolling Stone's review on the Oscar nominees). IMO, Bill Murray put in a better performance than Depp's "gay pirate". After they said Penn won, you could tell Bill was very disappointed b/c he knew it was either going to be Penn or himself. Both put in great performances, but sorry, the critics got it right this time (Thank God no ATOTers are critics, they would have voted blondie from LOTR ROTK as best performance lmao), nobody's touching Penn this year.

SackOfAllTrades

Diamond Member
May 7, 2000
Originally posted by: SP33Demon
Read anything written by a critic on the Oscars and most predicted either Penn or Bill Murray would win (for example, pick up the latest Rolling Stone's review on the Oscar nominees). IMO, Bill Murray put in a better performance than Depp's "gay pirate". After they said Penn won, you could tell Bill was very disappointed b/c he knew it was either going to be Penn or himself. Both put in great performances, but sorry, the critics got it right this time (Thank God no ATOTers are critics, they would have voted blondie from LOTR ROTK as best performance lmao), nobody's touching Penn this year.

sorry to say, most ATOTers think they are better critics than actual critics. reasoning for this is that ATOTers who see maybe 2-3 movies a month surely know more than a critic who has spent years analyzing movies they probably didn't give 2 sh!ts about.

EngenZerO

Diamond Member
Dec 24, 2001
yah, I was rooting for Depp to take it last night but alas...

I was also rooting for Ms. Niomi Watts to take the title of best actress, oh well.

CraigRT

Lifer
Jun 16, 2000
Originally posted by: CPA
He was robbed of the Best Actor award. Sean Penn? Give me a break!

Additionally, Geoffrey Rush not even nominated? Ridiculous.

I think Sean Penn is a great actor.... honestly he does a fantastic job IMO!

Playmaker

Golden Member
Sep 17, 2000
First off, Penn gets nominated for Mystic River and not 21 Grams? Stupidity? Yes? Thought so. Second, Bill Murray should have won. Nothing else to say about it.

Murray did look sad after he lost, but seriously, if he grabs a script where he plays a guy dying of AIDS, a father with a dead or dying kid, or a handicapped person or anything similar, it's in the bag as soon as he gets the part. Better yet play a character with all three and the critics will be calling it the best performance in Oscar history.

Oh, and take a lesson from Penn, overact it beyond reproach. So bad that it takes the average person out of the movie because it's so obviously a performance.

iwearnosox

Lifer
Oct 26, 2000
Bill Murray should have won for a character which was merely a reflection of his true self? They should have the ATOT awards then, I'd get nominated for this post.

Tom

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: waylman
penn should have won for his work in Dead Man Walking as well. Cage took it that year for Leaving Las Vegas.

Cage was fantastic in that.

Crowe should have won for "A Beautiful Mind".

Denzel should have won for "Malcom X".

Penn should have won supporting actor for "Fast Times at Ridgemont High"

Bill Murray should have won last night.

Johny Depp should have won for "Ed Wood" and "What's Eating Gilbert Grape" and "Edward Scissorhands".

JulesMaximus

No Lifer
Jul 3, 2003
Originally posted by: SP33Demon
First off, who tf cares about what an actor believes or stands for? Opinions are like a.holes, everyone has one. If the CEO of Rock Star Games said "I agree with the War in the Iraq", would you never play Max Payne 2 if you didn't agree? It's the same thing I say to low level thinkers who boycott a product b/c of someone's personal opinion. In fact, it seems that you're paying that person a compliment by recognizing their opinion, and having a negative reaction to it. Personally, noone's opinion will force me to change my way of life.

Second, Penn's performance destroyed Depp's. I saw both movies, and Penn's performance got me glassy eyed and enraged. If you don't feel his pain/anger, even if you aren't a parent, then you're just not human. Depp was funny in parts, but annoying in others. Read anything written by a critic on the Oscars and most predicted either Penn or Bill Murray would win (for example, pick up the latest Rolling Stone's review on the Oscar nominees). IMO, Bill Murray put in a better performance than Depp's "gay pirate". After they said Penn won, you could tell Bill was very disappointed b/c he knew it was either going to be Penn or himself. Both put in great performances, but sorry, the critics got it right this time (Thank God no ATOTers are critics, they would have voted blondie from LOTR ROTK as best performance lmao), nobody's touching Penn this year.

If the CEO of Rock Star Games said anything unrelated to upcoming games nobody would hear it and nobody would care. The trouble with actors is that they are mostly poorly educated and frequently speak out on issues when they clearly have no clue or business speaking and the news media gives them some degree of credibility by printing/broadcasting it.

I thought Penn came off rather poorly last night is all I'm saying. A rather typical performance from him actually. The guy can act but I can appreciate his abilities as an actor and loath his views as a person at the same time. Many people don't have this ability though. Many people fawn over celebrities and think everything that comes out of their hole is gospel. Sheep. :disgust:

shimsham

Lifer
May 9, 2002
Originally posted by: Dead Parrot Sketch
Originally posted by: waylman
penn should have won for his work in Dead Man Walking as well. Cage took it that year for Leaving Las Vegas.

Cage was fantastic in that.

Crowe should have won for "A Beautiful Mind".

Denzel should have won for "Malcom X".

Penn should have won supporting actor for "Fast Times at Ridgemont High"

Bill Murray should have won last night.

Johny Depp should have won for "Ed Wood" and "What's Eating Gilbert Grape" and "Edward Scissorhands".

what, no cry baby, fear and loathing? i like depp because he does the films he wants to, critics be damned.