Johnny Depp was robbed! (and no, this is not a parody thread)

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

oLLie

Diamond Member
Jan 15, 2001
Originally posted by: RagingBITCH
Originally posted by: CPA
Originally posted by: RagingBITCH
The Anti-American got what he deserved last night - nothing. Screw him and his movies. Penn in Mystic River was amazing. He more than deserved it over some 21 Jump St loser.

Are you saying Depp is Anti-American, and Penn is not?

Expressing anti-war views IMO is different from saying "The US is a bunch of lazy dogs who got what they deserved 9/11 and I'm embarressed and despise being associated with the USA which is why I live in France, despite the USA being the reason for my immense success". In two different interviews, no less. I've refused to see any Depp movie since the first interview and feel more strongly after the 2nd round/interview. His publicist put a spin on it saying "the magazine quoted it wrong" - what bs, screw you Depp.

Links?

FeathersMcGraw

Diamond Member
Oct 17, 2001
Originally posted by: ggavinmoss
Whether this is a parody thread or not, I do think that non-dramatic performances are given little to no recognition. Even in other years, I don't think a performance like Bill Murray or Johnny Depp gave would've been seriously considered either.

It seems that if your role has you playing (a) someone who lost a loved one (b) a handicapped person, or (c) a dying person you have a ten-times greater chance at Oscar recognition than a good comedic performance. If your character cries, add 10 points.

Dying is easy. Comedy is hard.

The worst part about the Academy's voting record is that the last comedy role that I remember winning a Best Something Award was Jack Nicholson in As Good As It Gets, and that was basically for playing himself.

Electric Amish

Elite Member
Oct 11, 1999
Originally posted by: waylman
penn > all other actors

Not in this lifetime...
rolleye.gif

Still,though, Pirates sucked! If the Academy had an award for "Best Gay Pirate", then Johnny would have been my first choice. ;)

ajpa123

Platinum Member
Apr 19, 2003
Penn just tells it like it is. Where's the WMD's?

That WMD reference was classic !
I appreciate how he quickly said it right at the beginning so that it didn't take too much away from his acceptance speech (which totally sucked!). He would pause every few moments, but would be acknowledging and smiling at people in the crowd, so it wasn't too bad... it just sounded bad)

Ogg

Diamond Member
Sep 5, 2003
Originally posted by: Electric Amish
penn > all other actors

Not in this lifetime...
rolleye.gif

Still,though, Pirates sucked! If the Academy had an award for "Best Gay Pirate", then Johnny would have been my first choice. ;)

I heard that he modeled that character after Keith Richards.......:D
I'd say he did a pretty good job!
Eh??

I always suspected The Stones were all gay!:)

jjones

Lifer
Oct 9, 2001
I haven't seen Mystic River but I think maybe Penn got the nod for two reasons: 1) Not too many roles/movies this year to showcase great performances by actors; 2) Penn got the sympathy vote because he has, throughout his career, acted some very good roles. And I think this is his first Oscar for Best Actor, isn't it?

It may be his acting in Mystic River was just better than the others that were nominated, I can't really say, but seeing his previous performaces, I have no doubt that he at least was worthy of the nomination. This year, it just didn't seem like there were that many good movies for male actors to shine.

GasX

Lifer
Feb 8, 2001
penn should have won for his work in Dead Man Walking as well. Cage took it that year for Leaving Las Vegas.
Cage was brilliant in that role.

JulesMaximus

No Lifer
Jul 3, 2003
penn should have won for his work in Dead Man Walking as well. Cage took it that year for Leaving Las Vegas.

Leaving Las Vegas was a far better movie than DMW.

Penn is an idiot. Everytime he opens his mouth he shows just how ignorant he really is.

waylman

Diamond Member
Apr 4, 2003
Originally posted by: Mwilding
Cage was brilliant in that role.

what was so brilliant about it? I look like that every Saturday morning.

waylman

Diamond Member
Apr 4, 2003
Originally posted by: JulesMaximus

Penn is an idiot. Everytime he opens his mouth he shows just how ignorant he really is.

what has he said that is ignorant?

JulesMaximus

No Lifer
Jul 3, 2003
Originally posted by: ajpa123

I appreciate how he quickly said it right at the beginning so that it didn't take too much away from his acceptance speech (which totally sucked!). He would pause every few moments, but would be acknowledging and smiling at people in the crowd, so it wasn't too bad... it just sounded bad)

Yeah, I like how he stated that he didn't write an acceptance speach. Dumbass. I kept thinking to myself, well, maybe you should have 'cause you SUCK at winging it!!!

JulesMaximus

No Lifer
Jul 3, 2003

Here's one that ranks up there on the ignorant scale:

"I think that people like the Howard Sterns, the Bill O'Reillys and to a lesser degree the Bin Ladens of the world are making a horrible contribution to society"

waylman

Diamond Member
Apr 4, 2003

"I think that people like the Howard Sterns, the Bill O'Reillys and to a lesser degree the Bin Ladens of the world are making a horrible contribution to society"

and how are those 3 contributing to society exactly?

JulesMaximus

No Lifer
Jul 3, 2003

and how are those 3 contributing to society exactly?

You're kidding right? Did you read the quote? He is saying that Howard Stern and Bill O'Reilly are worse than Bin Laden.
rolleye.gif

CPA

Elite Member
Nov 19, 2001

Yeah, I like how he stated that he didn't write an acceptance speach. Dumbass. I kept thinking to myself, well, maybe you should have 'cause you SUCK at winging it!!!

He also stated that his daughter told him that scripted acceptance speeches were "pretencious".
rolleye.gif

Right, I'm sure you're daughter told you that. Oh, and nice slam to every winner who did have a scripted acceptance speech you idiot.

CaseTragedy

Platinum Member
Oct 24, 2000
Originally posted by: AmericasTeam
Depp will win next year for J.M. Barrie's Neverland .
I just checked his upcoming projects--looks like Pirates II has just been announced. And Charlie and the Chocolate Factory is in Pre-prod???

-Case

Edit: CPA, I agree.

shenaniganz

Golden Member
Aug 20, 2003
Originally posted by: CPA

He also stated that his daughter told him that scripted acceptance speeches were "pretencious".
rolleye.gif

Right, I'm sure you're daughter told you that. Oh, and nice slam to every winner who did have a scripted acceptance speech you idiot.

Didn't he say his daughter was 8 years old? I'm sure his 8 year old uses the word "pretentious" all the time.

And, yes, his speech was pathetic.

azazyel

Diamond Member
Oct 6, 2000
I have always liked Depp, he is someone who is able to take risks in his acting. Didn't he turn down the role of Lestat in "Interview with a Vampire" so he could make "Ed Wood"?