Joe Biden advises shooting into the air for home defense

Page 6 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Fern

Elite Member
Sep 30, 2003
Not if you're a Republican. In fact, if you're a Republican, you can discharge your weapon into your friend's head.

Yeah, but remember the guy he shot was a lawyer. You'll getcha some bonus points for that.

Fern

GreenMeters

Nov 29, 2012
It's quite literally felonious advice in most locales. Shooting at nothing will get you arrested for reckless endangerment and your 2nd amendment rights rescinded. That's assuming you don't kill your neighbor's kid across the street with your "warning shot."

And what if the burglars are armed, and are willing to kill? Just because that's not their primary objective doesn't mean that they won't kill you. Sure a gun blast is "likely" to scare them off, but I'm not about to bet my life or the lives of my family on "likely" when there are better options.

If you buy a gun with intent to "scare" people, you've got the wrong mentality and shouldn't own a gun. If they're scared off and run away while you're shooting at them, great, but you don't shoot to scare. Warning shots are for hollywood and potentially riot/crowd control.

As for people getting hurt, if it's a criminal who broke into your house and intends to do God knows what, what the fuck do you care if this person is hurt? That's not to say that you should enjoy the experience, but as far as I'm concerned anyone who makes themselves a potentially lethal threat to myself or my family is no longer someone worthy of my sympathy. At that point they are a threat, and they will cease to be a threat by the most efficient, legal means at my disposal.

Sounds great until the shadow in the dark that you've identified as a threat and decided to silently target turns out to be your wife tip-toeing in after working late or your teenager sneaking in after curfew.

Hayabusa Rider

Admin Emeritus & Elite Member
Jan 26, 2000
And another quick search also shows soldiers on foot firing warning shots.

The point is it's not unreasonable to think that a B&E suspect wouldn't suddenly think twice at the sound of a shot gun blast going off.

It's also reasonable to assume that can get you killed. I'm not going to play the game of 6 year olds where you find some ridiculous out of context example. Joe didn't mean pirates. Both he and you know that. Only an idiot would potentially expose themselves to an intruder or give their position away, but Joe has demonstrated himself to be one. Maybe he should be having out whistles to women.

Doppel

Lifer
Feb 5, 2011
Sounds great until the shadow in the dark that you've identified as a threat and decided to silently target turns out to be your wife tip-toeing in after working late or your teenager sneaking in after curfew.
You're off on a tangent, trying to discuss something here that isn't being discussed, that the target is now of questionable identify, and if he is you shouldn't be firing anyway, not taking a half-committal stance of firing into the air.

Those trying to defend this air practice should at least try and find some substantive literature defending the practice. Find us one law enforcement academy that recommends warning shots.

xj0hnx

Diamond Member
Dec 18, 2007
You're off on a tangent, trying to discuss something here that isn't being discussed, that the target is now of questionable identify, and if he is you shouldn't be firing anyway, not taking a half-committal stance of firing into the air.

Those trying to defend this air practice should at least try and find some substantive literature defending the practice. Find us one law enforcement academy that recommends warning shots.

You'll find a lot more people that got in trouble for doing it. Firing a warning shot is completely counter to self defense shooting, and for the vice president to be advocating it is highly irresponsible. You should not be firing your weapon at anything except something you intend to kill, and only when your life is in danger. Biden's wild west, firing willy nilly, warning shots bullshit should be called out for the highly irresponsible crock of shit that it is, and he should never again speak in the realm of firearms.

monovillage

Diamond Member
Jul 3, 2008
A nice article by the Weekly Standard calling out Biden for his illegal "advice".

http://www.weeklystandard.com/blogs/biden-advises-gun-owners-act-illegally_703076.html

"Tom Shellenberger, a lawyer who serves as a spokesman for the Delaware State Sportsmen's Association, told U.S. News that Biden's security tip was 'the worst type of advice,'" reports U.S. News.

"I am a member of the Delaware Bar, as is Vice President Biden," noted Shellenberger. "There are a number of statutory restrictions that could be violated by shooting a shotgun 'off the porch.'"

In addition to felony charges, Shellenberger cited the "Discharge of a firearm within 15 yards of a road (7 Del.C. § 719), a misdemeanor," and "Violation of the residential dwelling safety zone as set forth in 7 Del.C. § 723, also a misdemeanor."

Listening to Biden's advice would also defy common sense.

boomerang

Lifer
Jun 19, 2000
Yea Biden is an idiot sometimes.
Biden is always an idiot. It's just not as obvious when he's not talking.

Something happens to Obama and Biden is the Commander in Chief. He'll probably blab the launch codes in a manner of minutes after being sworn in.

sourn

Dec 26, 2012
The actual point is that Bidens suggestion is a fine prescription for suicide. Have you ever heard of LEO or the military firing limited ammo to scare of criminals as a matter of course? No, and if you were to try to have that as a new standard they'd laugh at you.

Ever heard of a warning shot. That's basically what he is suggesting. And it shouldn't take you any longer then a couple seconds max to reload a dbl shotgun.

That said that's about the only good point he has. Sure you don't need 30 rounds, but why not have them just in case it's more then one person.

As far as mass murder these idiots contradict themselves. They say most people wouldn't be able to hit the murder/react in a manor that wouldn't cause more causalities. But supposedly making smaller mags well let people take them down in a matter of seconds? What type of screwed up logic is that.

Darwin333

Lifer
Dec 11, 2006
So wait, you're actually telling me that firing a weapon at a person is safe and isn't against the law, yet firing that same weapon into the air is dangerous and illegal?

If someone has broken into your house while you are home then yes, firing a gun at someone is perfectly legal in most states. And yes, stopping the bad guy is a hellofa lot safer than essentially unarming yourself.

The 'unloading' part is the nitpicking by gun nuts I was referring to earlier.

Its not nitpicking, its probably the most important part of the story. The gun holds two rounds, he said fire two rounds, the gun no longer has any ammunition in it. Why in the hell would it be "nitpicking" to point out that if you are potentially about to be in a life or death situation that having shells in your gun just might be a good idea?

The rest of it is just catering to the usual wild and erotic fantasies that so many gun owners posses.

I assume you are talking about common sense.
You don't actually have to fire your gun at an intruder for him to be prevented from stealing your stuff.

Not always but if you must protect your life with deadly force it sure would be nice to have the ability to wouldn't it?

TechBoyJK

Lifer
Oct 17, 2002
So firing a gun when there's an intruder in your house is suicide?

wow you're either really dumb or trolling.. or possibly too dumb to realize you are trolling.

Do you know what a shotgun is? How they work?

You should google it.

Darwin333

Lifer
Dec 11, 2006
Sounds like good advice, even if worded a little poorly. Burglars aren't assassins, waiting to triangulate your position. Scare them off and no one gets hurt.

Or he could reasonably think that you are shooting at him and immediately return fire while you fumble with shells trying to reload. Its simply a retarded thing to do. If you absolutely must warn the bad guy its a far better (but still bad imo) idea to do it verbally than to use all of the ammunition in your gun.

irishScott

Lifer
Oct 10, 2006

Which is why you identify your target before you shoot. Which is as common sense as "look both ways before you cross the street." It's also why weapon-lights were invented.

Nintendesert

Diamond Member
Mar 28, 2010
There's a reason you don't shoot warning shots, you have no idea where those bullets are going to land. You can kill someone with falling bullets.

You don't put innocent people at risk because you're unwilling to use a gun against a trespasser. If you can't fire your gun at the intruder then don't own a gun. Period.

The intruder forfeited their life when they broke into a home, someone a few blocks over sure as hell didn't. You don't ever discharge a weapon without knowing where those bullets are going to hit. Biden as usual is a fucking moron and anyone defending him just because there's a big D next to his name is an even bigger moron.