Joe Biden advises shooting into the air for home defense

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

irishScott

Lifer
Oct 10, 2006
Doubtful. I simple observed a video that you posted, and failed to find the phrase "shooting into the air" in it. Nothing really there to interpret or infer, and no language barrier either.

Doubtful on what grounds, Mr. logic?

irishScott

Lifer
Oct 10, 2006
I don't think you fabricated it either.

Well that's just you not taking my word, for no reason. Which you are welcome to do, but I'd suggest you work on those trust issues.

Edit: Oh wait, actually you did exactly what I did! You INFERRED that my title was not fabricated based on seeing similar titles elsewhere! So by your own logic, your assumption that I copypasta'd my title is invalid.

soundforbjt

Lifer
Feb 15, 2002
*taps sarcasm meter*

You realize a double barreled shotgun has no magazine of any variety, right? And that's not just technical terminology, it makes a very practical difference.

Never said they did. Just my point is to reload one shell would not take that long, you don't have to load both to fire again.

BoberFett

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Never said they did. Just my point is to reload one shell would not take that long, you don't have to load both to fire again.

/facepalm

And you anti-gun-nuts wonder why people think you're ignorant and shouldn't be proposing laws about things you don't understand.

irishScott

Lifer
Oct 10, 2006

It takes many times longer than not reloading after 2 shots, requires more fine motor skills under stress, and only provides 1-2 shots per reload, that may also miss under stress; and also limits the carrying of ammunition to a much clunkier form.

Your "point" was that because reloading a magazine-fed rifle is so fast as to be negligible in tactical effect when perpetrating a mass shooting (that is the argument you referenced), then reloading a double-barreled shotgun (which is not even remotely similar mechanically) should be equally as fast and equally as negligible while operating under completely different circumstances. Simply because they are both acts of "reloading".

You see nothing wrong with this assertion? Nothing at all?! :D

Last edited:

BoberFett

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Pfft, what kind of wuss can't reload a breech action shotgun one shell at a time and fire as quickly as a semiauto?

LRN2RELOAD

skyking

Lifer
Nov 21, 2001
Doubtful on what grounds, Mr. logic?
Doubtful was an answer as to whether I am autistic or not.
As to the question of trust, I can only address that within the context of this post. Joe did not say "into the air". You posted that he did.
As to the question of Joe giving bad or illegal advice, I have never said otherwise.
I simply find no need to infer anything beyond what was said. You did. I called you on it.

Agent11

Diamond Member
Jan 22, 2006
Yea Biden is an idiot sometimes.

"Derp, there are people intent on harming me or my property! Lets go EMPTY my only weapon into the AIR while standing EXPOSED on a balcony!"

Reloading a double barreled shotgun does take longer than using a pump action or a semi automatic, and unless you are wearing a bandoleer you will have a pocket full of loose shells, if they do return fire and you go crawling to your bathroom to hide in the tub you better hope you don't spill the hand full of shells you have.

Last edited:

exdeath

Lifer
Jan 29, 2004
Hard to believe that someone as intellectually inept as this man could conceivably become the most powerful man in the world if something happened to president Obama.

This is an effective strategy to deter assassination attempts for sure. Pick a worse a VP.

xj0hnx

Diamond Member
Dec 18, 2007
And you continue to be exactly what I think of you.

Imagine that.

It's hard knowing what I am talking about, and completely understanding the subject at hand, but knowing that you took something away from it gives me the strength to carry on.

frowertr

Golden Member
Apr 17, 2010

I'm willing to bet you have ZERO practical expierence using firearms nor have you ever been put in a life or death situation where you had to use said firearms...

Why do I feed the trolls???

Matt1970

Lifer
Mar 19, 2007
If I were doing the discharging, which I would not, it would be into my yard. Everything that goes down range has a price tag on it :)

Which is worse than firing straight up in the air. Bullets can bouce off rocks, hard dirt, or a tree branch.

skyking

Lifer
Nov 21, 2001
Went from shotgun pellets to bullets now. Do you use a backstop when you go shooting, or just trust that the air will suffice?

Chuck_v

Jan 21, 2013
Joe Biden is an idiot. I would never fire warning shots thus allowing the POS(s) in my home to know I am armed and my location. I would go on the offensive if a loved one is in immediate danger and if not then I would let the POS(s) venture into my defensive kill zone and then kill them. My wife and I are alive today because I lawfully carry a concealed handgun and knew how to use it and when to use it. I do love my US Army tactical training. Trust me I ruined two POS's day when they broke into my home. Oh and when you are confronting POS wanting to prey upon you or your loved ones you cannot have to much ammo either. Yep, Joe Biden is a f**king idiot.

Last edited:

Doppel

Lifer
Feb 5, 2011
Veliko, you are just trolling for fun, right?

You clearly know nothing about guns whatsoever, why else but trolling would you continue to blissfully speak on this matter, wantonly ignoring correction from those more learned in the matter?

Fern

Elite Member
Sep 30, 2003
I said Jill, if there's ever a problem just walk out on the balcony here, put that double barreled shotgun and fire two blasts, outside the house.

When I first saw Biden on TV recommending this I thought:

1. You do NOT shoot unless you identified the target. Could just be neighbor out looking for a lost dog or some kids sneaking around to drink some beer or smoke a jay.

2. He also suggested a 12 gauge, even for his wife. That's simply too much shotgun for most women.

3. And, yeah, after irresponsibly shooting 'somewhere' you're now out of ammo and have made your position on a balcony well know.

Irresponsible statements, to say the least.

Fern

GreenMeters

Nov 29, 2012
Sounds like good advice, even if worded a little poorly. Burglars aren't assassins, waiting to triangulate your position. Scare them off and no one gets hurt.

irishScott

Lifer
Oct 10, 2006
Sounds like good advice, even if worded a little poorly. Burglars aren't assassins, waiting to triangulate your position. Scare them off and no one gets hurt.

It's quite literally felonious advice in most locales. Shooting at nothing will get you arrested for reckless endangerment and your 2nd amendment rights rescinded. That's assuming you don't kill your neighbor's kid across the street with your "warning shot."

And what if the burglars are armed, and are willing to kill? Just because that's not their primary objective doesn't mean that they won't kill you. Sure a gun blast is "likely" to scare them off, but I'm not about to bet my life or the lives of my family on "likely" when there are better options.

If you buy a gun with intent to "scare" people, you've got the wrong mentality and shouldn't own a gun. If they're scared off and run away while you're shooting at them, great, but you don't shoot to scare. Warning shots are for hollywood and potentially riot/crowd control.

As for people getting hurt, if it's a criminal who broke into your house and intends to do God knows what, what the fuck do you care if this person is hurt? That's not to say that you should enjoy the experience, but as far as I'm concerned anyone who makes themselves a potentially lethal threat to myself or my family is no longer someone worthy of my sympathy. At that point they are a threat, and they will cease to be a threat by the most efficient, legal means at my disposal.

Last edited:

Fern

Elite Member
Sep 30, 2003

No, you simply do not go off willy-nilly discharging a weapon somewhere 'out there'.

That is incredibly irresponsible.

(I also happen to think his suggestion of a 12 gauge for home defense is wrong, but reasonable people can disagree. IMO, that suggestion should be left up to home defense experts, and he certainly is not one.)

Fern