Jimi Hendrix: best guitar player ever?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Squisher

Lifer
Aug 17, 2000
Ok, since I am the undisputed authority on this I'll give Hendrix my vote, but some names not mentioned already that have impressed me live - Richie Blackmore and Johnny Winter. And yes, I have seen Eddie Van Halen, SRV, the slow hand, Kenny Wayne, Jimmy Page, Iommi, and Alvin Lee

KaBudokan

Oct 10, 1999

<< who the heck is he? >>

Who, Jeff Beck or Jimi Hendrix?

Either way, you're cut off. NO SOUP FOR YOU! ;)

TheKidd

Aug 21, 2000
OK, I never said that you can't be a great player and have feeling too...I just said I admire both Hendrix and Allman for the soul they put into their playing. This is simply my opinion, I am hardly an expert on the subject. I am not familiar enough with Stevie Ray Vaughn to comment on his playing, but I am sure he is great as well. It is impossible to claim someone is the *BEST* guitar player ever, but you can say who your personal favorite players are, and my favorites happen to be Hendrix and Allman.

Piano Man

Diamond Member
Feb 5, 2000

<< Best Bass Player list:

Jaco Pastorius
John Patitucci
Stanley Clarke
Victor Wooten
Jimmy Haslip
>>

Hell yea, right on. Pat Metheny and Jaco were great friends and played with each other a lot. Just another reason in the long list why Metheny is the best guitarist ever.

murdock2525

Banned
Feb 23, 2001
You guys don't have a clue.. Jimi was great..I saw him in concert twice, Eddie, Yngwie, Satriani, Santana, Page, Beck, Montrose, Rhodes
Many good ones....
If you really like guitar ??? # 1 Robin Trower, Pat Traverse,Alex Lifeson (Rush) and the latest? Kenny Wayne Shepherd......go swipe some !!!

MCS

Platinum Member
Feb 3, 2000
Henrix IS the best, followed by SRV, IMO.

And what about Jeff Healey? Nobody mentioned him yet.

JMaster

Golden Member
Feb 9, 2000
Jimi Hendrix was definitely one of the best guitar players in ROCK history. He's far from being the best guitarist ever though.

rbV5

Lifer
Dec 10, 2000

<< best guitar player ever? >>

Thats like nailing down the best artist ever, or best singer ever...but Jimi..he's way up there somewhere close...

mastertech01

Moderator Emeritus Elite Member
Nov 13, 1999
From my generation, Stevie Ray Vaughn, Eric Clapton, Jimi Hendrix come to mind as the best..there were so many.

WT

Diamond Member
Sep 21, 2000
ahh, now ya got me listening to Stevie again. This stuff is so good its hard to believe I didn't find out about SRV until his untimely death. Any suggestions for some classic SRV tunes ? I'm listening to Empty Arms, Little Wing and Pride and Joy right now. As far as the discussion, when you have a discussion including Clapton, Hendrix and Stevie Ray Vaughan, to me it depends on which one I am currently listening to, as they all can take your breath away and make you forget just how good their music truly is.

pulse8

Lifer
May 3, 2000
Anything off of Texas Flood. His recent CD that came out with him and Albert King is pretty amazing. There is also a SRV boxed set that is really good. 3 CDs with a lot of unreleased stuff and a DVD.

GasX

Lifer
Feb 8, 2001
Jammin:

Rude Mood
Love Struck Baby
Mary Had a Little Lamb
Couldn't Stand The Weather
The House Is Rockin'

More Soulful:

Texas Flood
The Sky is Crying
Little Wing
Life By The Drop

yasha

Banned
Jun 11, 2001
One of the very best ever but not &quot;THE&quot; best. There's a local cat here by the name of &quot;Bobby East&quot; which is a few notches better than Hendrix.

Slap

Golden Member
Oct 9, 1999
Not that he is the best but no one mentioned Peter Framton. &quot;Framton Comes Alive&quot; is awesome.

&quot;Smoke a joint&quot;

Slap

yellowperil

Diamond Member
Jan 17, 2000
I only saw a few clips of SRV in concert. He was awesome, but I wouldn't rate him higher than Hendrix. SRV may have been the best at the style of music he played (Texas blues), and may have reshaped it, but Hendrix invented a whole style of music that's hard to pin down. Although many blues players can get close to that SRV sound with the right combination of skill, his Strat and Tubescreamer and Marshall/Fender amps (I forget which ones), I haven't heard anyone get close to the way Hendrix played.

NutBucket

Lifer
Aug 30, 2000
Are my eyes lying to me or did I not see Eric Johnson mentioned in this thread? Surely someone out there must think as highly of him as I do.

Gooberlx2

Lifer
May 4, 2001
Jimi is awesome, and inspired most of today's guitarists, but as far as technicality goes...

STEVE VAI and JOE SATRIANI!

I second this vote! :)

[edit]I'm also putting in a vote for BB King[/edit]

JediKnut

Jul 3, 2001
Whoa... so many great names...

I don't think I could ever choose a single 'Best Guitar Player' ever...

But yes, Hendrix is definitely one of the Very Best ever...

Infact, the song Little Wing, yes I agree SRV takes his version to the skies with it. It's really an improvement... That song though, is one of my personal favorites &amp; I have over 30 versions of that song by different artistes... :)

NesuD

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Gotta cast my vote for Stevie Ray Vaughn what he did to make blues mainstream was awesome. many of the greatest bluesmen acknowledged him as the best. His technical skill was as good as i have ever heard His covers of Little Wing and Voodoo child are masterpieces. And on top of it all he couldn't read a lick of music. He had no formal musical training at all a completely self taught play by ear guitarist. Like Eddie Van Halen as well and Hendrix they brought new innovative styles to the fore.