Jimi Hendrix: best guitar player ever?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

EnragedPC

Banned
Jul 27, 2000
try any rage songs..i like these ones myself

Rage Against the Machine - Ashes in Fall
Rage Against The Machine - Born Of A Broken Man
Rage Against The Machine - Bullet In The Head
Rage Against The Machine - Bulls On Parade
Rage Against The Machine - Calm Like A Bomb
Rage Against the Machine - Fvck tha Police (Live)
Rage Against the Machine - Guerilla Radio
Rage Against The Machine - Killing In The Name Of
Rage Against The Machine - Know Your Enemy
Rage Against the Machine - Mic Check
Rage Against The Machine - People Of The Sun
Rage Against The Machine - Renegades of Funk
Rage Against the Machine - Sleep now in the fire
Rage Against The Machine - Without a Face
Rage Against The Machine - The Ghost Of Tom Joad
Rage Against The Machine - Vietnow
Rage Against The Machine - Wake Up

pulse8

Lifer
May 3, 2000
OHHHHHH...i wasn't sure who he was!! Sorry. I love Rage! Just never bothered to find out their names. That guys is a very good guitarist, but more on the innovative side. He's created a whole new method of using the guitar for music.

Pacfanweb

Lifer
Jan 2, 2000
Edward Van Halen. Generally recognized by most of the "guitar media" as the world's greatest living guitarist. He is the father of the styles played by the greats of today....and in all the interviews I've read about his inspirations, he generally names Clapton (early years-Cream) and Hendrix. He developed his two-handed thing from watching Jimmy Page (beginning of solo in "Heartbreaker") and taking it from there.

I read a guitar mag about 2 years ago with interviews of many guitarists of today, but contemporary back as far as Steve Vai.

The overwhelming answer to the "who was your greatest inspiration to play/personal god/icon" question was Eddie Van Halen. Coming from so many of today's respected guitarists, that speaks volumes.

RaoulDuke

Banned
Jan 1, 2001
jimi could play anything that van halen could play, if jimi would have heard their music. However, i doubt jimi would have been very appreciative of their, umm, for lack of a better word, crap. Sorry, i hate van halen. I think Jimi is probably one of the best great guitar gods as far as i'm concerned.

Piano Man

Diamond Member
Feb 5, 2000
Ok you said best guitar player, and you haven't specified genre. I haven't seen anyone posted that can touch Pat Metheny. Metheny is usually regarded as a jazz guitarist, but his imagination and unique playing styles take him way beyond the bounds of jazz, blues, rock, funk, or even country. I highly suggest listening to him. Those of you who do should note that he tunes his six strings in 4th's but I have no idea what he does with this beast. ;)

RaoulDuke

Banned
Jan 1, 2001
yah pat metheny is pretty kick ass. Heh i was at a STP show, and cheap trick opened, rick neilson used like a 6 headed guitar or something, it was stupid and redicilous, it was almost as tall as him

Triumph

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999

<< Stevie Ray Vaughan....His version of Little Wing kicks Hendrix's arse... >>

Playing the song is one thing...actually WRITING the song requires a bit more talent. Little wing is a

<< Yeah, same with Kenny Wayne Shepard. Man, I love the blues >>

You didn't just mention KWS in a Best Guitarist thread, did you? give me a mother f*cking break!

And EVH is definitely one of the most influential guitarists ever, besides being a great player. He was great at lead, but he was also a tremendous rythm guitarist. A lot of people miss that, when they think of EVH they just think of fretboard tapping. Much like Jimmy Hendrix, many people have surpassed his skill, but they never would've done this if EVH wasn't there in the first place!

GasX

Lifer
Feb 8, 2001
Anyone who has seen Stevie Ray Vaughn play live will vote for him. It is as simple as that. To play blues music well requires so much more than skill. John Lee Hooker at 70+ years of age could play a tremelo and blow you away with the sound and feeling. Stevie Ray could do all that AND play at a hundred miles an hour.

Noone has mentioned Slow Hand, btw...

If you want to seriously discuss this, you have to look at the following guys:

Jimi Hendrix
Stevie Ray Vaughn
Yngwie Malmstein - I am SO kidding
Jimmy Page
Eric Clapton
Eddie Van Halen

I am purposefully excluding non-rock/blues guitarists as that cklouds the issue with apples and oranges...

There are a few others, but I simply don't care. I have seen 4 of these guys play live and Stevie Ray just owns everyone. I didn't get to see Jimi, and I sure wish I had...

slunk

Golden Member
Feb 2, 2000
I still say Hendrix is at least my personal favorite. I put Page near him. SRV was also a great guitarist. I just think he lacks the innovation of Hendrix, and that's a big deal. I don't know how Kenny Wayne got in this conversation, but I'll ignore it. Tom Morello's great, but Jonny Greenwood is much better. Plus he's one of the most innovative guitarists of today (so is Morello), and Jonny is a multi-multi-multi-instrumentalist.

Mucman

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
I thought I would add Allan Holdsworth and Danny Gatton too! I am sorry but these best guitarist threads are pretty much pointless. And I wasn't kidding about Yngwie :p, he made an album with a symphonic orchestra and he actually wrote all the piece for all the instuments too! I know I am going to get slammed for that :p

TheKidd

Aug 21, 2000
Jimi Hendrix brought so much style and soul to his playing, that even though he couldn't play 24 notes per second, he was still better than all of his fleet-fingered peers who played with no soul. Also, no one has mentioned Duane Allman who had an unbelievable touch to the guitar. Like Hendrix, he had a feel that other more technically skilled guitar players couldn't match.

BoberFett

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
I like Jimi as much as the next guy, but best guitarist ever? No. It'd be hard to pin down one name, but SRV is a contender.

Bulldog7000

Dec 18, 1999
Jimi is awesome, and inspired most of today's guitarists, but as far as technicality goes...

STEVE VAI and JOE SATRIANI!

another vote for John Pettrucci too!

AND.........CLAPTON!

Best Bass Player list:

Jaco Pastorius
John Patitucci
Stanley Clarke
Victor Wooten
Jimmy Haslip

pulse8

Lifer
May 3, 2000

<< Jimi Hendrix brought so much style and soul to his playing, that even though he couldn't play 24 notes per second, he was still better than all of his fleet-fingered peers who played with no soul. Also, no one has mentioned Duane Allman who had an unbelievable touch to the guitar. Like Hendrix, he had a feel that other more technically skilled guitar players couldn't match. >>

You make it sound like you can't have both skill and feeling in your music. Stevie Ray Vaughan did, however. He could play something so technically sound and still have an enormous amount of feeling in it. He could play something fast, something slow, he could improve and play rhythm. The only &quot;fault&quot; I could ever see in his playing was that he never used his pinky. While it obviously didn't hurt his playing, it's not technically correct to not use your pinky.

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Whether Hendrix was the best or not, I think we can all agree that he was awesome! I recently was listening to my favorite satellite all music station(Classic Rock Galaxy 901) and they played a Hendrix song that just caused me to stop what I was doing and listen to it closely. I can't remember which song it was, but in this song there were 3 completely different guitar styles, yet the way Jimi played made them seemlessly and logically sound &quot;right&quot;. A truly amazing musician he was.

21Jumper

Oct 11, 2000
Van Halen
Paul Gilbert
Satriani
Vai
Petrucci
Johnson
Bettencourt

Too hard to choose. I think people just like Hendrix and SRV cuz they're dead. You know if EVH was dead he'd get all the votes. Good thing he's not though.

wyvrn

Lifer
Feb 15, 2000
I like Hendrix and I also like Santana, I think they are a close match. Would be cool if they held a guitar competition for the world's best :)

Amused

Elite Member
Apr 14, 2001

<< Yeah, same with Kenny Wayne Shepard. Man, I love the blues >>

<< You didn't just mention KWS in a Best Guitarist thread, did you? give me a mother f*cking break! >>

Why? He's not &quot;the best&quot; but he's damn good.

Triumph

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
My take on Satch: He lays down a simple rythm track, and then solos over top of it. That's not music.

And I personally love Yngwie Malmsteen.

I bought an album called &quot;The Cream of Clapton&quot;. Apparently this is supposed to be his best stuff....Well if this is his best stuff, I'd hate to hear his mediocre songs. Anyone want to buy this CD off of me?

pulse8

Lifer
May 3, 2000

<< Too hard to choose. I think people just like Hendrix and SRV cuz they're dead. You know if EVH was dead he'd get all the votes. Good thing he's not though. >>

That's the most ignorant remark in this entire thread.

squirrelman

Jan 1, 2001
Of course Jimi is the best guitar player ever. All these people saying SRV, srv is just a redneck rippoff of Jimi. Jimi wrote the book man. If you just listen to his songs like Purple Haze and Foxy Lady then you wont get it, you have to listen to songs like Machine Gun and Little Wing. Not only was he a great guitar player, he was a hell of a song writer and i think a great singer too.

KaBudokan

Oct 10, 1999
No such thing as &quot;Best Guitarist.&quot; lol

I saw Jeff Beck a few years ago and he is the best guitarist I've ever seen personally. Made me cry - literally. He didn't hit a wrong note the whole show, and he played with such a blend of soul and technical finesse it was amazing.

(I have seen lots of footage of SRV, Hendrix, etc, and I weep that I never saw them live. Same with Frank Zappa. :( )