Jimi Hendrix: best guitar player ever?

Ferocious

Diamond Member
Feb 16, 2000
I think so. Definately one of the best.

I was on the road this morning at dawn, and for no special reason (other than the time) a local rock station played Star Spangled Banner. His rendition of that never ceases to amaze me.:)

yellowperil

Diamond Member
Jan 17, 2000
Best electric guitar player, definitely (IMO of course). If talking about guitarists in general one could make a case for Andres Segovia or someone else.

tomtomberry

Apr 17, 2001
I wouldn't say that he is the best player ever...but for surely most innovative for his time. He isn't the fastest technical player but surely will never cease to amaze me with his ability to play lead and sing at the same time.

slunk

Golden Member
Feb 2, 2000
Jimi is by far the best electric guitar player ever. Technicality does not make a guitar player. Look at Yngwie, pure crap. Jimi was full of soul, and he was easily the most innovative guitarist, too.

Triumph

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Most technical? no. Most proficient? no. But he is still generally regarded as the best electric guitar player ever, in polls taken by many many different sources.

Mucman

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
There is no such thing as the best guitarist ever!

What about Petrucci, Lifeson, Di Meola, Malmsteen, Stanley Jordan....

<edit>slunk, I disagree with you about Yngwie :)</edit>

pulse8

Lifer
May 3, 2000
Jimmy Page isn't a very technical guitarist but is heiled as one of the greats in rock as well. Jimi Hendrix was not a GREAT guitarist. He was VERY innovative and probably a creative genius, but his guitar playing skills lacked technical skill. On that level, though, my vote would also go to Stevie Ray Vaughan. I've seen several of his live performances and he is just INCREDIBLE. His technique is practically flawless. He plays with SO much soul and does it almost perfectly. Watching him play gives me chills.

Amused

Elite Member
Apr 14, 2001

<< Not even close Randy Rhodes blows him away. BTW he is dead to. >>

Randy Rhodes was an excellent player... very fast and clean. Much faster and cleaner than Jimi could ever have been... BUT he was no where near as innovative as Jimi Hendrix. Before Jimi, NO ONE had that sound. Now everyone does.

Amused

Elite Member
Apr 14, 2001

<< Jimmy Page isn't a very technical guitarist but is heiled as one of the greats in rock as well. Jimi Hendrix was not a GREAT guitarist. He was VERY innovative and probably a creative genius, but his guitar playing skills lacked technical skill. On that level, though, my vote would also go to Stevie Ray Vaughan. I've seen several of his live performances and he is just INCREDIBLE. His technique is practically flawless. He plays with SO much soul and does it almost perfectly. Watching him play gives me chills. >>

Yeah, same with Kenny Wayne Shepard. Man, I love the blues. :)

Killrose

Diamond Member
Oct 26, 1999
There is no &quot;the&quot; best. There are so many good players, each bringing something to the profession. Jimmy was definately there among the best, and I often wonder what would have happened had he lived longer.
So many players nowadays get cleaned up by the studio's, that to listen to some of Hendrix's old &quot;raw&quot; playing is refreshing, and very impressive.

bdcrisp

Dec 31, 1999
if you guys want to hear the best guitarist in the world (admitted even by jimi himself) check out Phil Keaggy, 220 is a great album.

pulse8

Lifer
May 3, 2000

<< eddie van halen or les paul >>

IMO, Eddie Van Halen is too much technique and not enough emotion. Is Les Paul that good? I know he played, but one of the best?

pulse8

Lifer
May 3, 2000
Well, provide some proof, like a link or mp3 or something and then maybe we'll listen. ;)