Jesus's middle name is Hume! Caution: Some NSFW images within!

Page 3817 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006

I wonder how many of those 130 years they have been that efficient with the prep--like the entire final stage assembly line where it's made-to-order but real broth and hand-made udon, etc. I know this is relatively common and just how very great, small boutique restaurants do their work, but it got me thinking that this is basically fast food, well before McDonald's existed...but without the hub model and you actually had apprenticeships and serious chefs being prepped to do work like a machine. Same idea of fast, made-to-order food--but super real.

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
I wonder how many of those 130 years they have been that efficient with the prep--like the entire final stage assembly line where it's made-to-order but real broth and hand-made udon, etc. I know this is relatively common and just how very great, small boutique restaurants do their work, but it got me thinking that this is basically fast food, well before McDonald's existed...but without the hub model and you actually had apprenticeships and serious chefs being prepped to do work like a machine. Same idea of fast, made-to-order food--but super real.

All I know is I found that video oddly soothing! ;)

(also it made me really hungry!)

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
Straining the rice on the floor bothered me

• Haha
Reactions: Captante

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
I don't know why they titled it teppanyaki. This is just proper nabemono. Probably Kansai udon-suki or nabeyaki udon. However nabeyaki is usually done with a clay pot with lid. Nabeyaki Udon in Taiwan is done with a metal pot. Also, this ks the first place I have seen that has rice next to udon in the pot.

Teppanyaki is food cooked on an iron plate, more like griddle.

Last edited:

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
Same, the one part that irked me as well. I had to remind myself everything in Japan is usually really clean, even the floors. That and it gets hot in a rice cooker.

err the residual water washes the underside of the strainer clean when he picks it up. not a big deal.

dank69

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
XogMhbF.jpeg