Jesus's middle name is Hume! Caution: Some NSFW images within!

Page 3601 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

dank69

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
Z3ZEACO.jpeg

Zorba

Lifer
Oct 22, 1999
Right after my daughter started crawling, she crawled up to my dog and touched his bone. He bit her in the face, blood everywhere. Next day she had a perfect mouth shaped bruise on her face. Up until that point he had never growled or snapped in his life and had always shown affection for her. He was 9.5 and hadn't ever really been around kids before she was born, though.

The dog in the video looks upset and worried, not excited that the kid is crawling to him. In so many of these "cute" videos the dog's body language is giving a warning, not an invitation, luckily most people get away with it.

Reactions: uclaLabrat

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
Right after my daughter started crawling, she crawled up to my dog and touched his bone. He bit her in the face, blood everywhere. Next day she had a perfect mouth shaped bruise on her face. Up until that point he had never growled or snapped in his life and had always shown affection for her. He was 9.5 and hadn't ever really been around kids before she was born, though.

The dog in the video looks upset and worried, not excited that the kid is crawling to him. In so many of these "cute" videos the dog's body language is giving a warning, not an invitation, luckily most people get away with it.

I agree that people often misread a dog's behavior (ie: assuming a wagging tail means "happy dog") however if the dog is familiar with the kid and has been properly trained it shouldn't be a problem.

Any kind of even apparently minor food-aggression in a dog is really a MAJOR red-flag and that animal should be kept away from kids. Every dog I've owned would do nothing more then give you a sad look if you took their food completely away never mind just touched it.

What did you do with the dog in question? (biting my kid on her face intentionally is something ANY of my former dogs would not likely have survived)

Last edited:
Reactions: uclaLabrat

Zorba

Lifer
Oct 22, 1999
I agree that people often misread a dog's behavior (ie: assuming a wagging tail means "happy dog") however if the dog is familiar with the kid and has been properly trained it shouldn't be a problem.

Any kind of even apparently minor food-aggression in a dog is really a MAJOR red-flag and that animal should be kept away from kids. Every dog I've owned would do nothing more then give you a sad look if you took their food completely away never mind just touched it.

What did you do with the dog in question? (biting my kid on her face intentionally is something ANY of my former dogs would not likely have survived)
He had never shown any food aggression before, I could stick my hand right between him and any food and he would just stopped and looked at me.

He stayed with inlaws for a while, then we basically trained him to stay away from her and it was fine for 18 months. But he started to get arthritis in his back that we didn't realize, my daughter pushed on his back and he lightly put his mouth on her arm, one small puncture, no bruising. After that he moved to live with my mom and we got him some medicine for his back which helped a lot.

Vet told us that a lot of older dogs have problems with babies and toddlers if they were never exposed when they were younger. I've since found out my story isn't that uncommon people just feel shame about it and don't tell anyone. Multiple coworkers have shown me scars where their family dogs bit them.

For the record, both bites were warning bites and he immediately left the area right after it happened. If it had appeared at all like an attack he would've been put down.

Reactions: Captante

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
if they were never exposed when they were younger

Thing is you are almost certainly bigger and scarier then your dog while your kid was not, plus (apparently?) your dog for whatever reason didn't see your kid as "above" it in the pack or it would have submitted regardless of physical size/strength.

I suspect the above bolded points are the root of the problem .... when my girls were little we made absolutely sure my 100lb GSD-mix fully understood that both of them outranked him in "the pack".

My older daughter raised him from a puppy and since she seems to have inherited my ex-wife's "Attila the Hun" personality (god help her poor husband lol) it wasn't an issue for her, but at one point he tried to "bully" my younger daughter and was immediately and firmly (NOT painfully... this is key!) shown the proper level of respect by me.

It was never a problem again.

EDIT: You are far more forgiving then I would have been.... the dog at the very least would have been off to a shelter that same day and I likely would have killed it with my own hands on the spot.

No place in my home for a dog that will turn on a family member that easily..... your kid could have lost an eye or possibly ended up bleeding out from even a small neck-wound. (thank goodness that didn't happen!!)

Last edited:

MtnMan

Diamond Member
Jul 27, 2004

The dog's tail wagging proves you are wrong.

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
Ripped from Healthy Pet Club UK:

Healthy Pet Club UK

Why do dogs wag their tails?

Dogs will wag their tail to convey a range of emotions: happiness, nervousness, feeling threatened, anxiety, submission and excitement.

It’s thought that when a dog is relaxed, its tail will sit in a resting position. This position will vary depending on the breed of dog. Some dogs have a naturally curly, stiff looking tail, and others may have a long tail that droops behind them in the natural position. When emotions are evoked, tail wagging then occurs.

Studies have shown that the pace and position of the wag will often convey emotion.

If a dog is frightened or submissive, it’ll often hold its tail down and possibly wag it a little between its legs. We’re familiar with this image of a dog that’s been told off by his owner – looking very apologetic and guilty!

Dogs that are alert or excited will hold their tail higher than the natural position. Often this high tail will be wagging furiously – a fast paced wag will often mean a dog is happy or excited. Again – this is something we often see in the park or when we are playing with our dogs. They’ll often adopt a playful stance with their bottom elevated – wagging a high tail as they ask us to throw a ball or play chase. This behaviour is also seen when we greet our dogs after being out for a long time – they’re telling us they missed us and are glad to have us home!

A curious dog who’s interested in its environment will often hold its tail straight out.

An aggressive dog will often have a very stiff, vertical tail.

Last edited:
Reactions: Number1