Jesus's middle name is Hume! Caution: Some NSFW images within!

Page 3639 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

pmv

Lifer
May 30, 2008
Wait, are you saying pedestrians jaywalking is the driver's fault?

I'm saying there's no such thing as "jaywalking", it was something invented by the US auto manufacturers to divert blame from their product and its users onto their victims. Almost no other country has such a concept in their laws.

And, yes, while it _is_ possible for someone to suddenly jump out in front of a car such that the driver couldn't be blamed for not avoiding them, most of the time it's a case of the driver driving too fast and not paying enough attention.
Anyway, not the thread for it. But I'm regularly irritated by those sorts of 'road safety' campaigns.

• Wow
Reactions: Ajay and zinfamous

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
I'm saying there's no such thing as "jaywalking", it was something invented by the US auto manufacturers to divert blame from their product and its users onto their victims. Almost no other country has such a concept in their laws.

And, yes, while it _is_ possible for someone to suddenly jump out in front of a car such that the driver couldn't be blamed for not avoiding them, most of the time it's a case of the driver driving too fast and not paying enough attention.
Anyway, not the thread for it. But I'm regularly irritated by those sorts of 'road safety' campaigns.

Yeah jaywalking is a real thing here in NA.

https://www.qld.gov.au/transport/safety/road-safety/driving-safely/stopping-distances/graph

At 40kmh, it would take 27m for the car to stop from the moment the driver notices the pedestrian. If you come out from behind a truck, I would try my best to stop the car, but there is a limit to how much I can do to not kill you.

Frogger is an arcade game, do not be the frog in real life.

Last edited:

Spacehead

Lifer
Jun 2, 2002
UAbjGnf.jpeg
Is that pre or post Olds moving there?
jZGgghi.png

BudAshes

Lifer
Jul 20, 2003

That's true, in many other countries they just step on the gas and turn on the wipers.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006

Have you ever been to Switzerland?