Jesus's middle name is Hume! Caution: Some NSFW images within!

Page 2597 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Fritzo

Lifer
Jan 3, 2001
Like what game systems?

If you're referring to the Switch, while it's not optical, it still has a drive that takes physical media.

Store bought PC systems. Lenovo, Dell (Alienware), Asus...they're all making bank on gaming PCs and laptops.

KMFJD

Lifer
Aug 11, 2005
at-the-oxymoron-museum.jpg

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
Store bought PC systems. Lenovo, Dell (Alienware), Asus...they're all making bank on gaming PCs and laptops.
Eh we were discussing GameStop so I thought it was obvious that we're talking about console gaming here, not PC gaming. PC gaming has been mainly digital gaming for years now.

Ichinisan

Lifer
Oct 9, 2002
Like what game systems?

If you're referring to the Switch, while it's not optical, it still has a drive that takes physical media.
PSP Go had no drive at all.

There's a proposed XBOX One X to use with the online game subscription that has no drive.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
PSP Go had no drive at all.

There's a proposed XBOX One X to use with the online game subscription that has no drive.
So 1 out of like 10 in the past decade is a lot? And how did that turn out for the PSP Go? That thing flopped harder than Virtual Boy.

Reactions: Dr. Zaus

Sonikku

Lifer
Jun 23, 2005
I still regret not getting a PSP Go when they were $50 new at Sam's Club. I didn't have broadband or wifi at the time and the reviews were poor. Now I wish I had it as a portable emulation machine. I'm left with trying to mod my 3ds to do something similar now but the screen size isn't nearly as good.

Ichinisan

Lifer
Oct 9, 2002
This looks familiar.

I helped my former roommate move last year. It was very early in January 2017, just after a record cold day. We pulled the U-Haul truck up to the new place and walked up to the front door. He had the electricity service activated a day or so before we arrived, so the frozen pipes in the top floor thawed and started pouring water for at least a day while the house was unoccupied. The ceiling had fallen, just like that picture. The living room was a swamp. The back of the house was encased in ice.

As I drove through the neighborhood, I noticed that practically every house had a plumber truck in the driveway. Some homes that didn't have a plumber on-site still had obvious signs of burst pipes (a sheet of ice on the sidewalk from burst sprinkler lines).

Fritzo

Lifer
Jan 3, 2001
So 1 out of like 10 in the past decade is a lot? And how did that turn out for the PSP Go? That thing flopped harder than Virtual Boy.

:rolleyes: High-speed Internet has only been widely available for the last few years. PS4, XBox, and the #1 gaming system- PHONES, are all preferring streaming content now. I work in an IT firm partnered with Microsoft and the inside rumor is MS is building a cloud gaming system- essentially a dumb client that remotes into a high-end server and the game plays remotely while streaming video back to you. Steam already made something similar (but it wasn't ready for primetime).

Physical media is dead. It's just not needed anymore.